Why board early?

I guess I can understand why everyone wants to be in their swimsuits by the pool the first day, especially if you are coming from the cold but to me it's not a big deal. There are some awesome places to eat at in Miami and some great bars who can make you some good drinks.

But your coming from the perspective of living in Florida. Chances are you didn't fly in. I don't know about anyone else but I view getting on the ship the same as getting on a plane. No way I can relax around town prior to my flight. Same thing with the cruise, I just want to get the whole boarding process over with so I can relax. I certainly understand exploring pre boarding in places like Old San Juan though. We did that a little bit but our ship didn't leave at 8pm so it was an abreviated walking tour.

Thanks for that. I guess it must be a big onslaught around 11am?

Somewhat ,but in 7 cruises, the biggest onslaught seems to be the time RC tells people to arrive, another reason to arrive early. For most of my Miami cruises the arrival time was listed as 2pm and that was when the lines were the longest. I was onboard before 11:30 on every cruise from there except for Freedom which boarded about 12:30.

Saw one poster speaking of 18 cruises and still having the excitement. Same here!

We get a tour of the ship when we board each time. It takes about 45 minutes to see the sights and meet the staff that like to give you their card. We usually go onboard about 10:00 a.m. for a standard afternoon sailing. Do the tour ending at the cabin where you meet your steward and usually head of housekeeping.

It is always fun and great anytime someone new is with you.

I'm in a JS category on the Allure (for a B2B) in March 2014. Will I be able to pre-board along with the other Suite categories prior to regular boarding? How does that work?

We sailed on the Oasis last summer. We checked in at 11:10, boarded at 11:25, and were eating at Park Cafe by 11:40. After lunch, we had a chance to explore and take photos until the cabins opened. All we had to carry around with us was a backpack with important stuff and swimsuits in it. No problem!

Sounds like a great plan for you!

It helps knowing that you're going to drop a couple towels and books on some lounge chairs for us...right? ;) :D

Question (and not in a snarky way!) for those who board early because they've already "paid for the day/lunch" - isn't that true of every day/meal? So if you get off the ship in Cozumel and eat lunch at Senor Frog's, that's also a wasted meal. Buy an excursion, you're paying for something when you could be on the ship, enjoying a ship activity of some sort.

FYI We were on Navigator in February and they were offering a carry-on baggage check service! This is the first time I've seen this service offered. You had to go to one of the lounges where they took your bags and gave you a tag to claim them by 1pm. We took advantage of this and it was great. We just kept a small amount of things we needed and didn't have to drag our bags through the lunch venues or up to the mini golf course. It was great! I hope this becomes a regular service - has anyone seen this on any other ships?

What an AWESOME idea!!!! Heck, I'd even pay a few bucks extra for this!!

It helps knowing that you're going to drop a couple towels and books on some lounge chairs for us...right? ;) :D

Question (and not in a snarky way!) for those who board early because they've already "paid for the day/lunch" - isn't that true of every day/meal? So if you get off the ship in Cozumel and eat lunch at Senor Frog's, that's also a wasted meal. Buy an excursion, you're paying for something when you could be on the ship, enjoying a ship activity of some sort.

Good point.

I consider the ports part of the trip. However it's true that I've never paid for a meal onshore except if it was included in a tour. And I don't get off at every port. And I get back on as soon as excursion is over, I don't just wander around the port.

It helps knowing that you're going to drop a couple towels and books on some lounge chairs for us...right?

I understand where you are coming from.

For us, 99% of the time we pick a cruise for the ports it stops at....don't really care where it starts and ends. We will; however, typically go down a day ahead of time, which allows us to see the city (usually longer than what a port stop would). Not to mention relieves some of the hassle and anxiety of flying in the day of.

When we are interested in the embarkation point (like our next one in Barcelona), we'll go down a few days ahead of time so that we can enjoy the city.

If the cruise stops somewhere that we aren't interested in, we don't get off the ship at all. If it stops at a place we want to go to, we've already figured that into the equation. :)

We like getting on the ship as early as we can. We walk around the ship and get familiar with the layout. You can find some interesting rooms when there is no one around. We always have fun. :)

. . . I guess it must be a big onslaught around 11am?

In my experience it varies. Probabky the longest line we ever experienced was getting on Independence in Ft. Lauderdale for our TA, and we were really early there. On the other hand, we borded Radiance in San Diego and almost walked right through the check in procedure [at about 1-2, but faced a bit of a line waiting to get into the terminal area].

One of the more valuable perks of getting up in the C&A levels is priority boarding. Not that the priority line is always shorter, but we have our choice. On the same Radiance cruise, we chose the priority check-in and had no line. Our good friends checked a few mionuted later and there was a huge line at priority so they went to the regular lines and had no wait.

Anyway, even if there is a wait invovled, I prefer early. And I must have a different definition of "sleeping in." I can sleep late [9 or so], shower, get dressed, have breakfast, and still be on board by lunch time.

I can only answer for myself but I generally dont eat while in port and never do excursions :) I did get some conch fritters in Nassau and tried a authentic mexican place in Cozumel but those are two things I normally dont or cant get here in the US, on land.

I mainly cruise for the ship though! The ports are something I can do with or without really. I really wouldnt care if the ship just sailed out into the Atlantic of Gulf and did big circles for 7 nights.

I'm in a JS category on the Allure (for a B2B) in March 2014. Will I be able to pre-board along with the other Suite categories prior to regular boarding? How does that work?

We were in a JS on the Allure in February and we got to sit in the waiting area with the Suite guests and were the first group allowed to board (after the people doing a B2B).

Why board early?? My husband and I get there early, have to sit in the seats usually. We are among the first 100 people on there. LOL. Like kids on Christmas morn! On our first cruise we had to wait about 90 minutes before they started letting people board. We didn't care..the excitement!

When we cruise, the ship is the destination.

I can sight-see after I get off.

I WANT TO GET ON THE SHIP!!!!!

I get there early and try to be first on.

We have been first to walk in the Windjammer.

When we first started cruising, the docs said board at 2:00. We were in Galveston and everyone got there at 2:00. Not fun. We no longer wait that late.

Get me on the ship.

My wife and I were discussing about when we are going to board the ship for our cruise. I know a lot of people on here like to board as early as possible (11:00?). We were thinking about sleeping in (if we can), having breakfast some where, and boarding around 1:00 or so....hoping the cabins will be ready when we get there. Is the biggest incentive to boarding really early just to get your vacation started early? Are lines longer or shorter if you wait until 1:00 or so? We will be arriving in Ft. LAuderdale at 1:00 the previous day (MArch 15th) s I consider that the beginning of our vacation. While I will be excited about getting on the ship, I dont want to ruch around in the morning trying to get to the ship. Do many of you wait? What is your reasoning? Other than getting a couple extra hours on the ship....are there other reasons to boarding early?

We like to get to the pier around 10 am and board early to explore the ship.......just something we have always done.........we are always excited and can't sleep..........we want the adventure to begin.......even if we have been on the ship before................

It is all a matter of personal preference. I like to be on as early as possible to get started on my vacation and that first frozen adult beverage by the pool, but there is no need to be the first on board. Cabins are not usually open until 1:00 or 1:30. If sleeping in and having a relaxing breakfast is a way to start your vacation, that sounds like a good plan to me.

Eric

I agree...it always a matter of preference................once on board and exploring...we always like sleeping in late and taking it easy........

Some don't mind spending that time the first day standing on lines or sitting around with the mob in the cruise terminal waiting for boarding to begin.

They enjoy the crowd and like to be among the first ones on the ship.

It is similar to the way that some people like to stand on line outside stores on sale days waiting for the doors to open so they can be the first ones in.

Others hate the crowds and lines of embarkation day.

So they request a late check out at their hotel, sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast and spend their morning enjoying the hotel grounds or sightseeing in town, or shopping for last minute items.

Then they head to the pier after the mad rush is over and walk right on with no lines and no crowds.

Since they know that they will have the entire week, or even longer to enjoy the ship, rushing down to the terminal early holds no appeal for them at all.

It is your vacation and your choice.

There is no right or wrong time to arrive, as long as it is not later than the final boarding time. :)

We're not usually in much of a hurry, especially in San Juan. Getting there too early feels like sitting in a parked car.. waiting to leave. I try not to get there before I can get in the cabin. But we'll see, I'm aiming for 2-3 this time in San Juan.

Some don't mind spending that time the first day standing on lines or sitting around with the mob in the cruise terminal waiting for boarding to begin.

It is similar to the way that some people like to stand on line outside stores on sale days waiting for the doors to open so they can be the first ones in.

So they request a late check out at their hotel, sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast and spend their morning enjoying the hotel grounds or sightseeing in town, or shopping for last minute items.

Then they head to the pier after the mad rush is over and walk right on with no lines and no crowds.

Since they know that they will have the entire week, or even longer to enjoy the ship, rushing down to the terminal early holds no appeal for them at all.

There is no right or wrong time to arrive, as long as it is not later than the final boarding time. :)

We always arrive early and have never (except for the fog delayed Jewel last year) had to wait on long lines or stand in a large crowd. We're on the ship and relaxing by 11:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont really understand what you are talking about and am even wondering if you have ever arrived at the Port "early".

I am generally there by 10:45 - 11 am and have never experienced "long lines" and "sitting around with the mob in the cruise terminal". Maybe I have just been lucky but its been a pretty smooth and non stop process from the time I get out of the vehicle, let the Porters take my bags, check in and get on the ship for the few cruises Ive been on. I would say that whole process took less than 30 minutes on my last cruise out of Pt Canaveral.

The Mobs Ive heard about are generally around the 1 - 2 pm time and by then I have already eaten lunch in the Windjammer, had a drink or two and am unpacked relaxing in my cabin.

Yes, I do like to be one of the first ones on the ship. :) There are no crowds and the food is MUCH fresher in the Windjammer.

We always arrive early and have never (except for the fog delayed Jewel last year) had to wait on long lines or stand in a large crowd. We're on the ship and relaxing by 11:30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. My experience as well so far.

Archived