St.Maarten/ Which beach excursion is best?

Don't book one through the cruiseline, just figure out which beach you want to go to and take a taxi, it will be much cheaper and you be on your own schedule not the tour companies. We love Orient Beach, but there is nudity.

Hey diznycrazy! We're also on the Mariner 7/10, check out our roll call thread, tons of great people. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=63236 Have you signed up for the Meet & Mingle yet? My daughter is 11 and has already made several online friends thru our group. Sorry I don't have the answer to your St. Maarten beach question, but I just saw your sail date and wanted to invite you! BTW, we're also Disney Crazy and will be spending a few days prior to the cruise at WDW, staying at the Radisson Orlando World Center. We've never sailed on RCI before, only Disney (twice). How about you?

We were on St. martin in May. We took the water taxi from the pier over to the beach. There we rented 2 chairs w/ an umbrella for $10 for the entire day. They will bring you drinks (fro $$). You can swim, or pay for the water trampoline and jet ski. We had an incredible relaxing time and would do it again.

We were on St. martin in May. We took the water taxi from the pier over to the beach. There we rented 2 chairs w/ an umbrella for $10 for the entire day. They will bring you drinks (fro $$). You can swim, or pay for the water trampoline and jet ski. We had an incredible relaxing time and would do it again.

This sounds like something we might be interested in doing when we are in St. Martin in November.

Would you mind telling me which beach you visited.

Thanks.

Take a taxi cab to Orient Beach. Waves are very nice and it's a pretty beach. Plus you can rent jetski's and take part in parasailing if you wish. The only thing that some people might not like about it is that parts of it are clothing optional - which doesn't usually bother me except that the people who aren't wearing any clothes are (for the most part) people who have no business doing so. :eek:

Hey, take a cab as advised. There are several nice beaches on the island but choose whether you don't mind/prefer clothing optional. Orient Beach has a topless end as most all beaches are here but also an Optional area next to Club Orient, a nudist club.

We were there in Dec and had a great time sittin at the beach at one of the Restaurants. I will be glad to look it up in my pics for you, but most are very accomodating and decently priced for chairs, umbrellas, food and drink.. Enjoy.

LRSkier

We have been to Orient Beach, the beach in the harbor, and Dawn Beach. The beach in the harbor is not a great beach. Orient Beach is great and as posted previously, you will probably see some frontal nudity. There are water toys there. We really liked the snorkeling and water at Dawn Beach. My DH said he saw 1 lady w/o a top, but that was all. All the beaches have umbrellas and beach lounge chairs for rent.

Venture off and have a great time!

We took a taxi to Orient Beach. One of the best beach days we've ever had in fact, except for all of the nude AARP centerfolds passing by.

Here's a warning about the taxies, however. Our driver insisted on filling up the car and the last people he let in wanted an island tour. We lost an hour of beach time as this guy took the long way there and stopped at every vista for at least five minutes each. We couldn't have been angrier. Make it clear up front that you want to go strait to the beach. We should have walked out of the taxi and took another.

So I know how much cash to bring, what does it cost to rent a jetski on Orient beach and is there an age restriction for passengers on the jet ski. Also is it guided or on your own?

Bsvee, you are so right.. You are apt to see both men and women and maybe children in the buff.. And the AARP's seem to walk up and down the beach.;. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. We have been to the island and OB several times. It is a beautiful beach if you can be cool and don't have children with you that you don't plan to introduce to a naturale....

Our first trip we actually saw some sun bathers that could have been pinups.. ha.....

Usually the beach toys go for around 50--60 an hour. we didnt use any but just enjoyed sunning there. Our grilled fish tacos were out of this world. I envy you. Have a ball...

will be in the WC here.

LRSkier

Forget the ships excursion and grab a taxi to Orient Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches that I have seen. Very easy to overlook the nudity.

A great place for lunch is Baywatch. They also rent chairs and umbrella's. Cheryl and Andy own the place and are from the states.(New York and Jersey).

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/sxm/home/baywatch.html

We rented a minivan and drove the island from the Dutch side to the French. It doesn't take long to do the whole island. It is like driving in a big circle. We loved Dawn Beach and the $1 Caribe Bottled Beer during the noon-3pm Happy Hour. You can see Orient Beach from the hillside on the road above. Very nice but a longer taxi ride than Dawn Beach.

We just returned from 10 wonderful days on St. Maarten. We did 7 beaches in 10 days. My # 1 pick? Orient! It is the largest beach (with lots of watersports) so when the cruiseship crowds hit, you won't be as compact. Beautiful sand and clear water. Every beach we went to there was topless bathing...a European custom and no one pays any attention....Moms with kids, families, couples, etc. The CO(clothing optional) Club Orient is way at the end, however there is an occasional nude couple that feels it is their right to walk the entire beach. Most of them are middle-aged and not great to look at...haha. Then there was the elderly man, skin sagging in a THONG! The best tho' was the guy pacing back and forth totally nude..talking on his cellphone!! What a trip! We were there with our teenage son..I am sure he got quite an eyeful under those dark sunglasses! It was not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be because as I mentioned, no one really cares. Seen one, seen them all! But for your family, the kids will probably never even notice if they are busy playing and swimming. No one makes a big deal out of it. But it is truly the best of the beaches we enjoyed. I can send you pictures if you would like.

on the dutch side and a taxi ride away. I belive they have a website you can check out. No excursion, we just bummed it. They did have a luncheon set up for some excursion and I'm sure if I would have told them my meal chit got wet in the water I could have got a meal. Eating would have cut into my lounging time.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Unfortunately there are some in my party who would have a problem with nudity.

Is there any beach in St. Martin that doesn't allow nudity?

Just trying to cover all my bases in advance.

Ellen

The beach right in town (take the water taxi) is a really nice beach. There is a beach club called "Everything Cool" that has live music, a bar, food and chair rentals. You will probably see a lot of the crew there (thats how I found it ... a tip)

There are better beaches on the island, but this one is very close and is still better than most beaches in that I have been to. It has facilities, and anyone who wants to take a beach break and go shopping can.

We rented Jet skis and had a great day.

Ellen...I don't think there is any beach where you may not see topless bathers. However the Dutch side is more reserved and so beaches there would be your best bet. Divi Little Bay is a resort with a wonderful beach....Cruise ships do use it as an excursion because it is so nice and I don't recall seeing any topless there...but of course it all depends on who is there. It is very family oriented. I can send you pictures if you would like. Mullet Bay Beach is another nice beach but we liked Divi better.

The nudity/topless was not ok with us either especially having our son with us...but there was nothing we could do about it if we wanted to spend time at the beach. It made us realize how different cultures can be.

Archived