Classic Beverage Card

slp123

If you have a classic beverage card, which covers all cocktails costing $8 or less, and want to consume a cocktail costing $12, can you pay the difference in cost above $8 or must you pay in full for the $12 cocktail? :confused:

My question is...are they worth it? We like our cocktails and I drink mostly beer....maybe 5 each a day if we are on board....just wondering thanks

With regards to beer....you can have any bottle that is up to 5.00, this would include: Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Amstel Light, Becks, Corona, Corona Light, Dos Equis, Leffe, Newcastle Brown Ale, Heineken, Heineken Light, Sam Adams, Red Stripe, Strongbow Cider.

Cocktail wise, the basics are included such as Absolute and Stoli Vodka, Bacardi Rum, Seagram's 7 and any drink up to 8.00. You can always see what you like once you get on board, stick with the Classic and you can always upgrade at any time to the Premium package for an additional 11.50 pp per day at anytime with at least 3 days left in your cruise.

My question is...are they worth it? We like our cocktails and I drink mostly beer....maybe 5 each a day if we are on board....just wondering thanks

In addition to the beer, wine and drinks the Classic package cover speciality coffees, fresh squeezed and bottled water and soft drinks.

If you have a classic beverage card, which covers all cocktails costing $8 or less, and want to consume a cocktail costing $12, can you pay the difference in cost above $8 or must you pay in full for the $12 cocktail? :confused:

Hi Slp,

You must pay the full cost, if the item is above $8. However, if you purchase the premium upgrade, AND the drink is above $12, you can pay the difference.

The bottom line is, if you believe your drink selections will be priced above $8, the premium upgrade may make sense.

I hope this helps !

There is a calculator (spreadsheet) running around somewhere with all the drink prices and you can put in your daily consumption and try to figure it out. Using napkin math, at 5 drinks, it is probably not "worth it" to you.

If you ask the question, "Will I spend more buying by the drink, or with the drink package," the answer for the vast majority of people is that you will spend more with the package. This is certainly true for us. We just don't ordinarily drink enough that our alcohol bill comes up to the cost of the package. Tap water is fine for us, and although we like espresso, we don't often drink it onboard.

However, having experienced the premium package last month, I probably won't sail without it again. The bottled water was great for the fitness center, to pack away for shore excursions, or just walk around with. Pellegrino with dinner was a nice touch. Being able to each have a different type of wine with dinner was nice versus buying by the bottle, and a nice double espresso after dinner really hit the spot. Starting out the day with my usual americano was nice as well. We tried everything at the molecular bar and then some, and we certainly wouldn't have done that without the package.

So, for us, the fact that the premium package makes the cruise more of an all-inclusive affair is "worth it". Not because we spend less--we don't--but because we think we're getting our money's worth.

Two points on your comments. If I was paying for the Classic Beverage Card . . .the answer would be "no, it is not worth it for me" because I generally never drink more than a cocktail before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. But here is why I have this card and why it is such an unbelievable value and why I asked my question about premium cocktails above $8. The value comes from the fact that it did not cost me anything, it was included as a completely free perk at the time I re-booked my upcoming cruise on March 16th. I was originally scheduled to sale at the end of January but the illness of a dear friend made taking that trip impossible. Celebrity let me take the full value of the payments made on that booking and apply it to any cruise departing within 3 or 4 (can't remember which) months of the original sail date.

For the original sailing I had purchased a non-alcoholic premium drink card because while I do not drink a lot of alcohol I do drink a lot of juice, bottled water, premium coffees and teas, energy drinks and smoothies (but I do not drink soda). So I knew I would want some of the premium non-alcoholic options. And that is the second reason I found the beverage package of value . . . . because I drink a lot (especially since certain prescribed I take cause me to have dry mouth and an increased thirst). . . and even though most of my drinks are 0 Proof, they would add to be more than the cost of the non-alcoholic premium drink card

When I re-booked and received the free Classic Package, I of course no longer needed to purchase my own non-alcoholic card because of the included perk. But now that I have the classic package, I can still see wanting the premium non-alcoholic drinks not included in the classic card. These include Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water. Unfortunately to include these choices, I will need to upgrade to premium which costs $78 more with respect to Alcohol package but only $28 more for the non-alcohol package. So I will upgrade and not think about it costing an additional $50 because in reality the $308 Classic Card was a gift from Celebrity!

Hi Slp,

You must pay the full cost, if the item is above $8. However, if you purchase the premium upgrade, AND the drink is above $12, you can pay the difference.

The bottom line is, if you believe your drink selections will be priced above $8, the premium upgrade may make sense.

I hope this helps !

Andy--

As always, thanks for your thoughtful contributions.

Steven

is beringer wine included in the classic package

and if not, what kinds are included that we inthe US would know the name of

thanks

I do remember seeing a Beringer white zin that was 5.50 and a Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir that was 8.00, that would both be included, unless the KJ went up to 8.50, which has happened to some of the drinks, thus they would no longer be eligible under the Classic package. You always have the option to wait till you get on board and then decide whether or not to upgrade to the Premium package, even waiting till there are only 3 days left in your cruise to upgrade.

Interesting because Celebrity UK when I booked told me I only have to pay the difference - however he also told me that I could get my shareholder OBC too as they had given us a drinks package and not OBC but the shareholder system declined us - so what do they know!!

Hi Slp,

I hope this helps !

Andy, you need to make a sticky about what is included in the different packages

Almost like car add

three columns,

first column product

second column classic package

third column premium package

then a check marked if included into the package

I have no excell skills to make this :p

It would clear up 50% of the post if people read it :D

On one of our cruises - my husband had the premium and could pay above his limit and a friend the classic and they got charged the full amount

E.g. they both bought a martini flight and DH paid $3 but Bob had to pay $15

This is exactly what should happen.

Two points on your comments. If I was paying for the Classic Beverage Card . . .the answer would be "no, it is not worth it for me" because I generally never drink more than a cocktail before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. But here is why I have this card and why it is such an unbelievable value and why I asked my question about premium cocktails above $8. The value comes from the fact that it did not cost me anything, it was included as a completely free perk at the time I re-booked my upcoming cruise on March 16th. I was originally scheduled to sale at the end of January but the illness of a dear friend made taking that trip impossible. Celebrity let me take the full value of the payments made on that booking and apply it to any cruise departing within 3 or 4 (can't remember which) months of the original sail date.

For the original sailing I had purchased a non-alcoholic premium drink card because while I do not drink a lot of alcohol I do drink a lot of juice, bottled water, premium coffees and teas, energy drinks and smoothies (but I do not drink soda). So I knew I would want some of the premium non-alcoholic options. And that is the second reason I found the beverage package of value . . . . because I drink a lot (especially since certain prescribed I take cause me to have dry mouth and an increased thirst). . . and even though most of my drinks are 0 Proof, they would add to be more than the cost of the non-alcoholic premium drink card

When I re-booked and received the free Classic Package, I of course no longer needed to purchase my own non-alcoholic card because of the included perk. But now that I have the classic package, I can still see wanting the premium non-alcoholic drinks not included in the classic card. These include Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water. Unfortunately to include these choices, I will need to upgrade to premium which costs $78 more with respect to Alcohol package but only $28 more for the non-alcohol package. So I will upgrade and not think about it costing an additional $50 because in reality the $308 Classic Card was a gift from Celebrity!

I thought that the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, smoothies and specialty coffees WERE included in the Classic pkg?

I thought that the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, smoothies and specialty coffees WERE included in the Classic pkg?

For clarity's sake, I have copied from the Celebrity web site the description of each beverage package. They are pasted below. You will see that the Classic Package includes the choices provide with the Classic Non-Alcoholic Package while you need to have the Premium Package to get the all of the choices provided through the Premium Non-Alcoholic Package.

Classic Non-Alcoholic Package

In addition to enjoying your favorite Coca Cola can and fountain sodas selections such as Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange and Coke Zero, you may also enjoy fresh squeezed and bottled juices, Premium Coffees and Teas and Non-Premium Bottled Water.

Classic Package

Upgrade your cruise experience and pay one price to enjoy all of the benefits of our Classic Non-Alcoholic package as well as all Beers up to $5 per serving, and spirits, cocktails, frozen drinks, and wines by the glass up to $8 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Classic Package, you can enjoy a 20% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

Premium Non-Alcoholic Package

Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca Cola, Premium Bottled Water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, Specialty Coffees and Teas, Non-Alcoholic Frozen Drinks and Smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and Specialty Waters from Vitamin Water.

Premium Package

For the ultimate in value and convenience, our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $12 per serving. Plus, with purchase of this Premium Package, you can enjoy a 30% discount on all wines by the bottle purchased on board, even our prized Reserve Wine list and Rare Wine list.

If you have a Classic Package and want get premium non-alcohol choices in an alcoholic package, you must pay $70 more (plus gratuities) to upgrade to the premium package. For those looking only at non-alcoholic packages, the upgrade from classic to premium package will cost you $28 (plus gratuities).

F.

If you have a Classic Package and want get premium non-alcohol choices in an alcoholic package, you must pay $70 more (plus gratuities) to upgrade to the premium package. For those looking only at non-alcoholic packages, the upgrade from classic to premium package will cost you $28 (plus gratuities).

I guess you cost are base on a 7 day cruise , do people still take that :p

I second the sticky along with some definitive answer from Celebrity because we have what was posted above from Celebrity's website, we have this that someone posted that was handed out onboard on a fairly recent cruise. As well as this answer that was given to you (and yes I will state it now that the info about buying a more expensive drink and paying the difference was wrong and corrected later in the thread)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36809014&postcount=934

Sil_Food%20Menus_IMG_7653.jpg

We just finished our Feb 24 sailing on the Silhouette, and I would say without a doubt get the premium. We had a group of 6 and 3 had it and 3 had classic and all 3 wanted some drink or glass of wime that was not on the classic. In the molecular bar, there was nothing they can drink and were charged full price. For the price of I think $62 a day with tax and tip, you can have large bottles of water compared to smaller ones, premium pours, and better wine at dinner. It seems like a big price when you purchase, but I think it is the only way to go to be totally free to have whatever you want, without ever having to sign or bring money for tipping.

I guess you cost are base on a 7 day cruise , do people still take that :p

Yes, those of us who own and manage a small company sometimes cannot put together more than 7 days away at any given time. I can get away for 14-21 consecutive days about once a year. Otherwise it's 7 days or nothing---so of course I elect 7 days (2 or 3 times a year). Any further questions?:(

Yes, those of us who own and manage a small company sometimes cannot put together more than 7 days away at any given time. I can get away for 14-21 consecutive days about once a year. Otherwise it's 7 days or nothing---so of course I elect 7 days (2 or 3 times a year). Any further questions?:(

I own a small company of 2

99.99999 % of the time people post the per day rate, less confusion that way :rolleyes:

Archived