What special to bring

I love my pop-up hamper. It folds flat and lies nicely in the bottom of the suitcase. What I really like is that it keeps things tidy, fits in the closet and keeps all of the dirty laundry in one place and out of the way.

Others have posted they don't need it, but it is one of my must haves.

I like taking a highlighter to highlight what i want to see or do in the Cruise Compass. I also like to bring a magnetic dry erase board to have on the door so DH and I can leave messages to each other if we're not together (like "Honey, I'm at trivia in the Schooner Bar, again")

I like taking a highlighter to highlight what i want to see or do in the Cruise Compass. I also like to bring a magnetic dry erase board to have on the door so DH and I can leave messages to each other if we're not together (like "Honey, I'm at trivia in the Schooner Bar, again")
:confused: :confused: Why would someone who is in the Schooner Bar go all the way back to the cabin to write a message on a dry erase board instead of simply leaving a message on the phone?

I love my pop-up hamper. It folds flat and lies nicely in the bottom of the suitcase. What I really like is that it keeps things tidy, fits in the closet and keeps all of the dirty laundry in one place and out of the way.

I have to agree. One in our room and one in the kids.

Over time and the more we cruise, we are discovering more about what not to bring. I suppose if we are ever fortunate enough to do a cruise lasting several months we will need certain things,but for cruises of two weeks or less there really is very little we find is worth schlepping along. Its not like we are taking up permanent residence!

*clothes

*meds

*passports/SetSail passes

*toiletries

*camera

We like to bring the following:

Shoe holder door hanger - it is cheap and flat for the suitcase and goes over the outside bathroom door. Not for shoes but everything else, sun glasses, lotion, waterproof case, hand sanitizers, stain removers, etc.

Streamer - helps with the winkles (clothes not face) ;)

Post-its - to write messages for the stewart (which also goes in the shoe holder)

Extension cord - we use to bring a surge protector but some ships do not allow it. We had to retrieve our bags from bag jail once. While others were down there for their smuggling of booze, we waited in line due to a surge protector.

Small fan - I like a fan but it has to be small. Again if too big, your bag when end up in bag jail. Again waiting in line with all the booze smugglers.

Bathroom organizers - there are bags that unfold that holds shared items of bathroom that hangs over the inside door

Pump soap, bar soap and shampoo (we like to bring our own)

And best of all - yourself with a great attitude. :D

Over time and the more we cruise, we are discovering more about what not to bring. I suppose if we are ever fortunate enough to do a cruise lasting several months we will need certain things,but for cruises of two weeks or less there really is very little we find is worth schlepping along. Its not like we are taking up permanent residence!

*clothes

*meds

*passports/SetSail passes

*toiletries

*camera

I agree with you!:D Even on cruises lasting a month or longer, we have not brought a lot of "stuff" with us. The only items I would add to your list is sunblock, a hat and money!

Sherri:)

:confused: :confused: Why would someone who is in the Schooner Bar go all the way back to the cabin to write a message on a dry erase board instead of simply leaving a message on the phone?

Some people are just creatures of habit. But my message on the dry erase board would be................Today is hide and go seek. Try and find me. :)

Me too , first thing to go in the suitcase.:D

*air freshener for the bathroom - we use one of the battery-operated ones that puffs every hour or so.

hey, it's small in there :eek:

*power strip definitely

*Pop-up hamper if you have room - very useful for keeping cabin tidy

I way overpacked for my first cruise. Now, my mandatory items are more minimal and suited for us:

-liquid skin/liquid bandaid

-Lysol

-Downey wrinkle release

-wristwatch

-trash bags and ziplock baggies

-our own beach towels (we drive in so don't have to worry about luggage limits)

-reusable water bottles

I just got off the Oasis yesterday. The one thing that I didn't bring (and ended up purchasing) was a watch. At home I use my phone for telling time. I turned phone off and left it in room so the first 2 days I was constantly asking travel companions for the time.

I packed with each item in a dry cleaner bag and was thrilled with no wrinkles on dresses so ended up not using the wrinkle releaser. I also didnt use highliter or magnets.

One item that I didn't bring but wished I had was a lightweight sweater or long sleeve shirt. We had an ocean view balcony and in evenings with the wind it was a bit chilly on the balcony.

Enjoy your trip

Guest maddycat

I always bring a small night light. I like to have magnets to hang up info sheets, invitations, etc. on the cabin wall. I also bring a battery operated travel alarm clock. I don't bring a hamper like others have suggested. I put the dirty clothes in the empty suitcases that are stored under the bed.

We used to travel with every little thing we were told would be handy but leave all that junk home now. These are the ones I've found most useful and will not travel without.

-My new #1 is carabiner clips of all sizes. I used a little one to hang my poof in the shower and a bigger one to hang my bag in the closet. Another great use is to put a single carabiner through the holes in the zipper pulls on your backpack. It attaches them together making it more difficult for someone to pickpocket out of it in a crowd which makes you less likely to be targeted. I'm very lucky that I just happen to keep them attached to my backpack for this use (we live in the city) because they were crazy useful on RCI and something I will remember to take in the future.

-I second the pop up hamper. we take one on all our vacations, not just cruises.

-a small can of spray air freshener to keep in the bathroom.

-ziplock bags of all sizes.

-alarm clock

-vini bags, an inflatable bag that protects our wine on the way there and our breakable souvenirs on the way back.

-as you already mentioned, a power strip.

-waterproof cases for camera and video camera

-lanyards for your sea pass card

Archived