RestRooms

DoubleDeuce

I'm a bathroom worry-wort. I've become accustomed to watching what I'm consuming/drinking before an excursion for fear of not finding a bathroom/the anxiety that goes along with it. I also pack imodium just in case.

Places usually have them around the port you visit. Just ask.

With all our travels all over Europe and the Caribbean when we needed a public restroom while out touring/walking, we always looked for the nearest McDonald's or BurgerKing..... any U.S. chain fast food place. Almost ALL the time they were reasonably supplied and tolerably clean. We always purchased a least a few soft drinks or something so that we weren't just coming into their place of business and only using their restrooms. There have been times we were very happy to come upon a Micky D's though we never eat that food. :D

[/b]

With all our travels all over Europe and the Caribbean when we needed a public restroom while out touring/walking, we always looked for the nearest McDonald's or BurgerKing..... any U.S. chain fast food place. Almost ALL the time they were reasonably supplied and tolerably clean. We always purchased a least a few soft drinks or something so that we weren't just coming into their place of business and only using their restrooms. There have been times we were very happy to come upon a Micky D's though we never eat that food. :D

[/b]

:) Actually, when I'm travelling, I stop at McDonald's for a whiz.

I don't buy anything, just relieve myself. It's a good system.

We are always sure to give them at least a little business as we feel if too many people come in, use their restrooms, and just leave without making a purchase, they'll initiate strict rules and all will suffer. We think it just a bit of courtesy to try and think ahead to the next folks who may need to use the restroom. :)

Oh, sounds like some of you would just LOVE the public restrooms in Japan & China! At least in Japan you can usually hang onto the pipes ...

We have used restrooms in McD's & Burger Kings, etc, in Asia Australia & Europe ... we were in Rome once and were looking all over for a restroom, walked all over following the signs for McDs, finally found it ... ah! thank goodness! ... but it was the filthiest most disgusting restroom I have ever been in, anywhere. The next two times we visited Rome I managed to take most of my "business" to the hotel rather than risk another horrible bathroom!

Men have much lower standards than we women do.....because if they just have to do one thing, they do not have to sit! And they think nothing of whipping it out outdoors to relieve themselves if they are out of public view. :p In fact, my cousin told me that it is a rite of passage for little boys to relieve themselves outside of a restroom....go figure! :D

This reminded me of a scene in France, La Havre, I was relaxing in a park in the middle of the city where a father and his son about 5 yr. were playing. The son went over to a bed of flowers, dropped his shorts and relieved himself, then proceeded to play. It was so casual I was enchanted and envious as well.

I can't help the OP, but know the concern, and wish the best. Might ask or advise any guides up front before an excursion, you won't be alone.

We are always sure to give them at least a little business as we feel if too many people come in, use their restrooms, and just leave without making a purchase, they'll initiate strict rules and all will suffer. We think it just a bit of courtesy to try and think ahead to the next folks who may need to use the restroom. :)

I do it in retaliation for all the highly obnoxious commercials that they crammed into my ears.

This reminded me of a scene in France, La Havre, I was relaxing in a park in the middle of the city where a father and his son about 5 yr. were playing. The son went over to a bed of flowers, dropped his shorts and relieved himself, then proceeded to play. It was so casual I was enchanted and envious as well.

We saw this activity several times when we were driving through Beijing. Not just young boys, either! :eek: None of us were enchanted!

We saw this activity several times when we were driving through Beijing. Not just young boys, either! :eek: None of us were enchanted!

In the cities in India, there is a man facing the wall about every 100 yards

This is reminding me of our trip through rural Greece 5 years ago. I can now vouch for the fact that Greek truck stops are just as nasty as American ones. Before we went, I devised a "potty pack". It's a little drawstring bag that either myself or husband was comfortable carrying (no pink!)

List of contents (all travel sized):

hand sanitizer

sanitizing wipes for toilet seat

TP

paper towels

zip loc plastic bags

Plastic disposable gloves

I'm a nurse, so not much bothers me. I was amazed at the number of women who ran from the squat style toilet at Roussanou nunnery in Meteora. Hey, it was clean!

:p

The only problem with getting a drink in a McDs or a cafe is that I feel obliged to have a drink. As I don't drink tea or coffee that is usually a (long) soft drink. So, in an hour or so's time I'm back in the same position of needing some relief ...

This thread brings back some funny (now but not so much then) travel memories. One took place in the former Yugoslavia (this was 1986) when we stopped for a break. When you arrived in the restroom the attendant took your money and handed you one square of toilet paper. Luckily, I always carry a ziplock bag of toilet paper. The whole restroom was actually very clean, however.

I'm a nurse, so not much bothers me. I was amazed at the number of women who ran from the squat style toilet at Roussanou nunnery in Meteora. Hey, it was clean!

:p

Anything like this one in South Africa?:D

IMG_1336-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Just this weekend I was telling my 8 YO grandson that boys have it easy. I said, think about it, if you have to go to the bathroom in a forest boys can just stand there and do it. But us girls, we have to squat, on bushes and then find a fern to wipe with and hope we don't get poison ivy. A few hours later my DGS says to his mom, ya, us boys have it easy... not like you girls who have to pee in a forest. My DD had NO clue what he was talking about LOL but he clearly gave it some thought and decided it was cool to be a boy.

And yes, my DH used the bathroom and I had to hold it!

Ok have to ask finally "DD - DGS - DH" i am so lost.

Ok have to ask finally "DD - DGS - DH" i am so lost.

DD = dear daughter

DGS = dear grandson

DH = dear husband

The first D is usually dear... you can probably figure out the rest.

DSIL = dear son in law

Or sometimes no D is used... MIL is mother in law, FIL is father in law.

It depends on where you are. In St. Martin, we did a snorkeling excursion at a tiki hut. It did have a restroom but our tour guide said that since we were in open water, the ocean was pretty much the restroom. I felt ghetto for 10 seconds after giving in.

Question: What do I do if restrooms are not available?

Answer: Depends.

Men, be prepared for a woman to be cleaning the men's room while you are using it. This has happened to me in Cozumel. She just walked in and started cleaning.

Archived