Balmoral Park Nassau

jamscckmc

Huh, never even thought about that. So the ferry is contracted just for the "ride"?

Usually they are a "boat for hire" and not owned by Carnival or the tour operator.

Same as the YellowBird.. if you remember when they were running.

Staff was to make sure no alcohol or food left the boat going onto the island. This is how most of these tours operate. If food/booze is available, they don't want you bringing your own.

Well, in Nassau, directly from the pier IS from the street outside the Festival Place building, yes?

I've never seen any ship loading any excursions anywhere else.

Part of my "issues" with ship excursions is the amount of time spent herding groups of people around. I detest it. I'm always on time (usually early), and then you stand around and wait for the stragglers because they are NEVER left behind (so there's no incentive for them to actually show up when they're supposed to!).

Bob, yes, I'm thinking that you won't be able to bring your own stuff. I'm anticipating there will be someone with a sign on the dock after we disembark. We'll gather there and then hike down the pier, through Festival Place, past the scooters, and down the waterfront to board the ferry/tender.

"Approximately 3 hours" of beach time isn't much if you're doing the stingrays. Ah well. We'll see. If I decide it wasn't worth the money, I simply won't do it again. Live and learn.

Well, in Nassau, directly from the pier IS from the street outside the Festival Place building, yes?

I've never seen any ship loading any excursions anywhere else.

Bob, yes, I'm thinking that you won't be able to bring your own stuff. I'm anticipating there will be someone with a sign on the dock after we disembark. We'll gather there and then hike down the pier, through Festival Place, past the scooters, and down the waterfront to board the ferry/tender.

Years ago when the "Yellowbird" was a Carnival tour they loaded directly from the pier, usually on the other side where sometimes large tugs or Bahamian navy vessels are. Later when the Yellowbird was partly loaded by the ships and also by the land based tourists it was not allowed on the ships pier. I remember one year taking the Yellowbird and if it had not been close to the ship they would have had to have a truckload of wheelbarrows to get everyone to the ship... a BUNCH of toasted cruisers!

I just "assumed" that this ferry was specifically for Carnival cruisers and would be loaded with Carnival cruisers only, thus would be able to leave from the ships pier. As it happens I assumed wrong...

The ferry sucked, we had issues coming and going with it. I'm going to post pics in another post. The place is huge and clean but was definitely a soft opening, hiccups still to fix.

ImageUploadedByForums1377808002.272880.jpg.9fbbe5c9d3c097ba939d314a5bfe94a6.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1377808032.278181.jpg.0dfbfd9ca199fe503c97173b44ae57fa.jpg

I've got more showing grounds. Beach was a tad Shelly, but compared to half moon cay everything sucks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here's more pics from the excursion

ImageUploadedByForums1377809447.398953.jpg.3c63978c3df6f28c3fcf5d85b4b30e79.jpg

Area where we waited for our boat that never came

ImageUploadedByForums1377809478.589711.jpg.15ceb6e4def5dc64a102d616ac3ed1b0.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1377809490.104608.jpg.86e9774a8c96da9b982ba90650e9b710.jpg

Security monitored so no one went to sandals

ImageUploadedByForums1377809517.468016.jpg.8bc3cef62930c0c28adefd8e7dad58e9.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1377809527.177491.jpg.908574615808147c02de7093c797f35b.jpg

Pool

ImageUploadedByForums1377809540.249227.jpg.d255c728e55a8fa4b82b7c23f4153d72.jpg

Not crowded at all

I just talked to my DD who did this excursion yesterday off the Breeze. She did not like the ferry situation. She also said some lady (employee) kept walking around with a microphone and trying to get people to participate in things. She said she would not recommend this tour. In fairness it did rain most of the time they were there. She just did not feel it was worth the money. They overheard some people saying the wanted a refund, but DD did not persue that.

I just talked to my DD who did this excursion yesterday off the Breeze. She did not like the ferry situation. She also said some lady (employee) kept walking around with a microphone and trying to get people to participate in things. She said she would not recommend this tour. In fairness it did rain most of the time they were there. She just did not feel it was worth the money. They overheard some people saying the wanted a refund, but DD did not persue that.

They were trying to get people to play games with us too. The place is new still working out kinks.

Carnival staff went on this excursion with us and claim to go every time in Nassau. We'd go again despite the ferry sucking.

Yes, normal ferry location, guide brought us there from outside ship

So I guess you met a guide with a sign by the ship and they walked you over to the ferry?

Edited by JaniceB

They were trying to get people to play games with us too. The place is new still working out kinks.

Carnival staff went on this excursion with us and claim to go every time in Nassau. We'd go again despite the ferry sucking.

Glad to hear that you would go again. I hope by November they have the ferry situation fixed.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Edited by JaniceB

Just back, will have a review of the Fantasy soon but wanted to give some info on the Balmoral....

OK - good.... You get a nice "ferry ride" either on a BIG catamaran or one of the "ferry" boats. Nice view but they do kinda crowd you on. There is a clean (some small rocks/coral) beach, plenty of chairs and umbrellas right at the water. "Security" is watching you while in the water.

Now the bad - The whole area is about 90% done and it's the 10% that is a problem. There is NO A/C area to eat, the only public area that is A/C is where you can order food and coffee drinks. The eating area, bar area is open air, not even ceiling fans. You can see where the ceiling fans WILL be but not yet. The pool is salt water and has "cabanas" for rent at over $100 for about 3-4 hours. The bathrooms are at the end of the property and sometimes have A/C and sometimes not.

AND if going please get the "deluxe" package with food. It's $10 more but once you see the prices you will want it. A 16 0z water is $5 bucks, frozen drinks are $11 and up. Cheapest food other than chips ($7) or cookie ($3-4) is a small pizza at $11 or hot dog at $12. 16 oz of coke from the bar (in a 16 oz glass with ice) is $4. We had a "top of the line" grilled chicken sandwich and a coke as our $10 lunch which would have been $16 for the sandwich and $4 for the coke... $20 each.

Finally, right now you can "wander" over to the dolphin/stingray area and take pics of them doing the acts real easy now... not sure about the future. As I have said 90% done, should be real nice when completely done.

I was there the same day as Bob (last Tuesday). I did the stingray excursion.

Was on the catamaran over and the little ferry coming back. I didn't have any issues with either.

I was fully aware that (like other ship excursions), we'd arrive on the pier and stand around in the heat, then be herded to the departure point. The main reason I don't normally do ship excursions is because you spend so much of your time gathering and being herded around.

I think I stated earlier in the thread that it is IMPOSSIBLE for excursions to pick up from the cruise ship dock area. Anyone who's been to Nassau should know where the ferries and excursion boats are located.

People have different armbands depending on which option they selected. We were directed to the seating in an open-air building - dolphin excursion on one side, stingrays on the other. I ran down and put my beach bag on a chair although I could've waited and put in on one of the "observation" loungers they have lined up in front of the stringray and dolphin pens. I overheard one of the dolphin trainers telling people who were only observing that they could take photos from the chairs but were not allowed down by the water.

The reason for this, of course, is because Carnival has photographers there to take pics for your purchase back on the ship.

There were only 5 of us with the stingrays. I love these creatures and have done several stingray excursions in the past. You enter the water (which has some rocks; I was going to wear water shoes but didn't pack them; not sure whether I would've been allowed to wear them or not), shuffle your way through water which is only about knee deep (if that), and start feeding them right away.

We were told we could come back and/or stay in the pen as long as we wanted, which was nice. I went back for the 1 pm feeding.

After our feeding, I went back to where I'd dropped my stuff, but by then, the young woman was going up and down the beach, screaming into the mic to get people up to play games. The music was SO LOUD it was distorted to the point that you could barely tell what was playing.

I grabbed my stuff and went down to the last group of chairs by Sandals, as far away as I could get from the noise. But it was still ridiculous. Waded into the water for a little while (it was much rockier at that end than in the center). Tried to sit and read but the noise was too distracting.

Finally gave up, managed to flag down a bar waiter and ordered a Sands Light. Think it cost about $7.

9690188579_50fcbce00d.jpg

9693425364_700f671ee1.jpg

9690188519_7d41ef3846.jpg

Loaded up my stuff and headed to the pool, realizing I simply wasn't going to get a relaxing beach day. :(

I loved the pool. Doesn't bother me that it was salt water as I don't really swim. It was warm and I thought it felt great.

We had a few sprinkles and one brief heavier shower.

I had brought trail mix and ate that and had another beer.

Trust me, the Ladies room was air conditioned! It was FREEZING in there.

I think it would be great if they'd develop the area on the far side of the dolphin pen. They definitely need somewhere for people who only want to relax. I know Carnival is the Fun Ship, but I'm rather tired of having FUN FUN FUN shoved down my throat. I see no reason why they can't have the FUN at one end and have the RESTFUL RELAXATION at the other.

I also think they should start the excursion earlier, since it takes so long to gather the hoards, label everyone, herd the passengers to the boats, and travel to the island.

It is a beautiful beach. Our dinner tablemates were there (beach only) and really enjoyed it but were shocked at the cost of the food. There were three of them and they would've been much better off if they'd purchased the Deluxe package.

Not sure I'd do it again. Maybe. Possibly. I won't be back there for many months, so we'll see what folks think when it's had more time.

Is anyone aware yet if Cheers program is available for use on Balmoral? This will definitely determine whether or not we choose this excursion and we'd love some feedback!

No, the cheers program is NOT included at Balmoral island excursion ... OR Half Moon cay.... That is the main reason we cancelled the balmoral excurstion ,plus the reviews keep saying the loud people with bull horn trying to get games going ... I just want to relax..... half moon cay has the food buffett included .. but drinks are extra, so that I can handle.. SSSOOO READY!~

Question for all of you that have been to Balmoral. We will be here in Oct. Myself and my hubby don't want to swim with dolphins but our 11 year olds do. So can we do the beach excursion with carnival then pay for our kids to do dolphin swim once we get there?

Was there Friday and they were inviting guests to upgrade their existing packages to include dolphin/stingray swim as well as pool cabanas.

I have three cruises between now and the end of November... all four Balmoral excursions are offered on each cruise. Probably won't go all three times, but I may look it over on one of them. (The last one in November, to give Carnival a chance to bring it together)

Edited by oldrailfan

I have three cruises between now and the end of November... all four Balmoral excursions are offered on each cruise. Probably won't go all three times, but I may look it over on one of them. (The last one in November, to give Carnival a chance to bring it together)

Onboard the deluxe package is not available with the dolphin/stingray package but once at the island you can add either. I would suggest doing the deluxe and then adding once on the island.