What To Bring Aboard "Just Incase of Engine Failure...."?

Bobroo

Even with a balcony cabin, you need to go down the corridors sometimes and they are VERY dark when the balcony doors are closed and not sharing the light.

I was on a ship years ago (the original Pacific Princess) and we lost power and had to be towed back to port. The hallways, while dark, had running lights down the sides, kind of like emergency lights on a plane. Do they not have those anymore?

So we leave next Sunday and Ive been giving some thought to this topic. Really though, the worst incident yet has been 4 days at sea w/o power right? Am I wrong to assume that the ship would have enough non-perishable food and bottled drinks to sustain it for that period of time? So Im thinking of bringing a flashlight, ziplock / plastic bags, reading material and maybe some protein or granola bars / snacks and wet wipes and hand sanitizer. I think that should be good enough?

For what it's worth, as a former wilderness and whitewater canoeist, I never travel anywhere without the following items.

Flashlight (used to have spare batteries, now have one with a dynamo)

Length (about 15 feet) of thin, soft, flexible synthetic cord that can be used in many ways, e.g., clothesline, tie-up for broken suitcase, belt (doubled-over), support for a shelter, etc.

Four or five strong clothespins, too many possible uses to mention

Leak-proof 1 liter or quart container (good for day drinkies, plus never know when you may need to collect and store potable water)

Cigarette lighter

Large, extra-strength Zip lock bags

Zip ties (selection of sizes)

Nail scissors and Swiss Army knife

Pen and notepad

roll of strong tape (duct or adhesive)

Carabiners (say five, various sizes)

And...ta da... one-foot square red cotton bandanna. Too many uses to list, but here are some. Head-covering, wash cloth, pot holder, towel (flimsy but...), tea-towel, picnic surface, gathering bag (tie four corners together), signal flag, sling, face-mask, bandage, splint-holder...etc.

Not saying this would get me through everything, but I'd have a shot at keeping safe and comfortable with these things. You can fit them all into a small women's cosmetic bag, and they'd give you a lot of options while not taking up much space.

Food and water would be another issue, but there's not much you can do about that on a ship, except start foraging creatively as soon as the problems begin.

Hi

I joined this ship, out of Portishead, UK. 28th Jan 1983. Went back and forth to St Johns. Then went to Japan via the med and suez. All I remember was we kept breaking down, spent around 10 days layed up in the suez canal. Then when we finally got under way thru the Red Sea we lost power. All I can say is I got a good sun tan. We finally made it to Japan and went into dry dock for a few weeks. So I would take plenty of sun tan lotion.

Just realized how small the ship was. Gross tonnage: 6,459 tons

Summer DWT: 11,185 tons

ShipSpotting.com

1281198.jpg

© Dr. Allan Ryszka-Onions

I was wondering if some fellow cruisers who have been on ships that have had engine/generator trouble that always seems to be in the news; could chime in with suggestions of items that wished they had brought along with them.

We all can imagine the despair that occurs when your grand time on the high seas turns into a camping trip. But other than packing a flashlight, what else should the rest of us be bringing aboard in anticipation of the worst???

We have made one investment because of the recent issues on cruise ships. It is a solar powered charger for the phones/IPads/etc. It's compact and can use either solar charging or plug in to charge. It seemed like a prudent investment all around.

I was wondering if some fellow cruisers who have been on ships that have had engine/generator trouble that always seems to be in the news; could chime in with suggestions of items that wished they had brought along with them.

We all can imagine the despair that occurs when your grand time on the high seas turns into a camping trip. But other than packing a flashlight, what else should the rest of us be bringing aboard in anticipation of the worst???

Something that doesn't need electricity, such as a book and a wind-up flashlight ...

ngbbs4ddb07138a036.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived