ID Question

GPop&Nana

First - I know a passport would avoid the situation altogether - thank you, please don't go there, no passport will be gotten before this cruise...

We just relocated to Texas - and not really thinking about the timing, surrendered our Florida DLs to get Texas DLs. well, turns out that Texas sends you your new DL in the mail and it can take up to 45 days:eek:. We did this on the 6th of March...they gave us a paper, temporary license good until April 20th. It has a black and white picture on it. Will this be accepted? Panicing....help, please.

We are sailing out of NOLA on the 6th.

First - I know a passport would avoid the situation altogether - thank you, please don't go there, no passport will be gotten before this cruise...

We just relocated to Texas - and not really thinking about the timing, surrendered our Florida DLs to get Texas DLs. well, turns out that Texas sends you your new DL in the mail and it can take up to 45 days:eek:. We did this on the 6th of March...they gave us a paper, temporary license good until April 20th. It has a black and white picture on it. Will this be accepted? Panicing....help, please.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't bet on it, especially if it's paper. Those would be easy to fake I'm sure. Fingers crossed you get the real one quickly!

Temp License issued by State of Texas...no other gov't id I can use that isn't expired.

Called CCL and was given the number to CBP (Customs and Border Patrol?). Will call them in the AM.

do you have your certified copy of your birth certificate? government issued?

Yes - have certified copies of birth certificates. Just a weird form of gov't issued id.

are the names exact?

if yes, i think it will depend on the personell at the pier. they are not cruiseline employees.

i've seen things go either way. seriously.

not sure but maybe try getting a state issued non-driving ID from the DMV. I know you can get one at the DMV here in SC for $10. I would try your local DMV and tell them you need a Gov't ID for an upcoming cruise.

Thought of that, they mail those too - wouldn't be here before the DL anyway...went next door and talked with our neighbor, he is going to make some calls for us but said it usually took about two weeks (hope he's right).

Well fingers crossed and stalking the mailman...lol

All the regulations say is that you have to have a government issued ID with a photo on it. Says nothing of it being laminated. Yes, we would all rather bring a laminated ID with us but if you don't receive it in time do you really have a choice? I'd rather show up with that than with nothing. Hope your new license comes in time!

In Ga a temp license is not considered a official govt Id. You cant even buy spray paint with a temp id. Or that was what I was told when I tried.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You need ID to buy spray paint in Georgia?:eek:

I live in Texas also. DH and I relocated also and applied for licenses same day several years back and received them in less than 2 weeks. My daughter just got her first license a few months ago and it came in two weeks to the day.

So...... Two weeks for you would be today. Hopefully it will be there in the next few days. Let us know how it works out.

VA now does the mail thing too. Something about DMV workers getting busted for giving illegal immigrants Drivers Licenses. They even changed the way they look and you're not allowed to smile due to facial recognition software. Luckily I was able to renew mine by mail and didn't have to go get another picture taken.

They give you a temp paper one but it's not good for anything besides driving. Had to go through it a year and a half ago with my son for his permit. The official one comes by mail. They are laminated and look almost like a DL except vertical and it says Driving Permit or something like that across the top. These also work as an official form of ID. He had to show it when applying for his new passport. Gone are the little handwritten ones back in the day when I got my permit. *sigh* I'm getting old :(

Temp License issued by State of Texas...no other gov't id I can use that isn't expired.

Called CCL and was given the number to CBP (Customs and Border Patrol?). Will call them in the AM.

The regs state "government issued photo ID" and technically a temp license is still government issued... so it's worth a shot.

CBP's opinion is helpful but you won't see them until you return from your cruise. The initial decision will be made by the cruise terminal employee who checks you in. If they say no, you can try appealing to the cruise ship officers. The final decision is the captain's.

You can get a passport expedited if you go to a state dept passport office and it will be processed in 7 days I think.

Edit: here is the link for travel abroad within 5 days

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_5395.html

I know tx is a huge state so not sure how close elpaso is for you guys but this would be better than missing the cruise.

TX also offers passport cards for travel to MX and ca not sure if those will work for a cruise but it might be faster too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

VA now does the mail thing too. Something about DMV workers getting busted for giving illegal immigrants Drivers Licenses. They even changed the way they look and you're not allowed to smile due to facial recognition software.

Yikes! Like those pictures weren't bad enough! I don't think I've ever had a decent ID picture taken but smiling is better than not smiling.

TX also offers passport cards for travel to MX and ca not sure if those will work for a cruise but it might be faster too.

Actually passport cards are issued by the Dept of State, similar to a regular passport but less expensive ($55 for first timers). They will work for a Caribbean cruise. Check with your local passport agency office... I recall reading somewhere that they may be able to issue a passport card same day.

Actually passport cards are issued by the Dept of State, similar to a regular passport but less expensive ($55 for first timers). They will work for a Caribbean cruise. Check with your local passport agency office... I recall reading somewhere that they may be able to issue a passport card same day.

Right ... DoS but only available in states on the border ... Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The regs state "government issued photo ID" and technically a temp license is still government issued... so it's worth a shot.

CBP's opinion is helpful but you won't see them until you return from your cruise. The initial decision will be made by the cruise terminal employee who checks you in. If they say no, you can try appealing to the cruise ship officers. The final decision is the captain's.

Actually, there are ICE people who have the final OK.

Archived