For your own safety when ashore...

Aplmac

Please leave your fancy gold jewelry, chains, necklaces on board.

Safest place is in your cabin safe!

Wear that cheap watch you brought with you, specially for going ashore

but please leave all the attractive GOLD 'bling' on the ship

unless you're taking a coach-tour that's going to pick you up before you even leave the secure Port area.

Crime is opportunistic, and you should avoid providing the opportunity!

Most of these Eastern Caribbean islands are safe

but we do experience the odd rare instance of personal assault or mugging.

You can help us (and you) avoid these unpleasant situations

by not wearing your Gold when you go ashore.

This applies to all the islands, not just this one.

Save wearing your fancy jewelry for Elegant Night, or Any Night on the ship!

Here's another thing...

The other day I went into Bridgetown to buy my wife another Pandora charm for her bracelet.

The lady at Colombian Emeralds placed my purchase in one of their little carry-bags

but I noticed that one of the street guys gave my distinctive Colombian Emeralds bag a good look!

But I think he also realised that I'm an island resident.

They don't tangle with us island residents! :)

So. Moral of my story.

If you buy jewelry on the island (having left your other stuff on board)

please refuse the store's distinctive packaging,

and just put the (small?) item in your husband's deep pocket, or in a regular-looking bag.

You might want to consider jewelry purchases after your tour, or beach-time.

Many of our stores have smaller branches in the cruise terminal -you could buy there instead? ..at zero risk. ;)

Duty_Free_Barbados.jpg

Hope this helps you have a safe and uneventful time ashore in all our Caribbean islands.

Have a nice cruise!

Thank you for your post. Some very wise information.

As I rule I leave all my good stuff at home. Even wedding rings. I don't need to prove ANYTHING to ANYBODY on a cruise or any vacation for that matter. Why put the temptation out there. By only taking the costume stuff I don't have to keep getting into the safe and wondering if I put everything up each time I leave the cabin. I have been on tours in very poor countries with people that look like they own Tiffany's. I just don't see the point. My two cents...

Thank you for your post.

Some very wise information. ===> I try to help.

My wife says I'm very trying. What does she MEAN by that?? :D

As I rule I leave all my good stuff at home. Even wedding rings.

I don't need to prove ANYTHING to ANYBODY on a cruise or any vacation for that matter.

Why put the temptation out there?

By only taking the costume stuff I don't have to keep getting into the safe and wondering if I put everything up each time I leave the cabin. I have been on tours in very poor countries with people that look like they own Tiffany's. I just don't see the point. My two cents...

Thank you for your input. You seem a sensible balanced person.

I wouldn't even wear costume jewelry ashore.

Some local idiot thug might mistake it for gold and you get injured in the process! :cool:

Think about that: it's not just the loss, but the emotion of being involved in some physical trauma

whether injured/blood drawn or not!

The costume stuff is for the ship only. Coming from a law enforcement background you can never be too careful. I don't even wear the good stuff if I am going into certain sections of my own town.

Will be on your lovely island in two months on the Valor. Looking forward to spending time on one of your beaches. Have not made exact plans as yet, but looking at the boatyard.

Again thank you for your timely advise.

I too come from a law enforcement back ground and when I come in contact with visitors on the Island I advise them about wearing their jewelry in public. It attracts unwanted attention and potential trauma which is the last thing anyone wants on vacation.

Cash for gold promotion on the Island has sent a few people crazy into robbing locals and visitors alike of their jewelry and authorities have decided to encourage hotels to advise visitors accordingly whilst being tough on persons who trade and deal in that business. So guys leave the jewelry in the safe even if it is costume.

We have visited many islands over the years and never had a problem; we try not to venture into questionable areas, don't flash cash or jewelry, and generally mind our own business.

That being said there are four of who are travelling to Barbados next month and we plan on renting a car and touring the island (minus gold, jewels, lots of cash, etc.) on our own. Is this still a good idea or should we opt for something more group oriented??

We had a not so good experience there last month. We rented a car and decided to go up the coast, across, then back down the Atlantic Side and then over to Bridgetown. We got up to the Northside and tried to follow Charles Duncan Hwy. It was not clearly marked as to go straight or right. We went the wrong way. Just as we were reaching the top of a hill, a man jumped out into the middle of the street. He was waving his hands and shouting, "Road CLosed, Road Closed". We had our windows open and slowed down as not to hit him. He came up to the car and started suggesting ways for us to go. I then noticed a bottle of open Bourbon on the ground. I told my husband just to go, then the mad sd, "for my efforts can you give me a ride?" We rolled up the windows and then he yelled." do you have any money for me??" We stepped on the gas, but instead of going straight, we "stupidly" took the man's word and went left. I noticed the street sign said " The Risk." We got about a mile down the road and ANOTHER man jumped out. This time we didn't stop, but it was like a maze in that area. I felt like I was in a nightmare. We drove as fast as we could to get out of that area as we didn't want to have to go back the same way we came in. It was very scary. Please be careful!!

• 2 weeks later...
I read on Cruise Critic that two tourists were shot in daylight as they walked down a main street right near the port. Wondering just how safe this island is?

Barbados is a relatively safe destination. Just unfortunate occurrences like this one leaves a bad impression about the Island although not warranted. Generally Bajans love to be helpful to tourists and gladly give information when asked. Barbados is still a very safe Island to visit. Hope you enjoy it when you arrive!:D

I just returned from my cruise and one of the ports was barbados. I haven't had much time to post reviews yet but I had to say that I did read about the shootings. I was actually very surprised when and where it happened so I checked it out further.

So... it appears that the shooting/robbery happened on a sunday and yes, it was in the middle of town. I have been to barbados on island holidays before and i have to tell you, sunday and holidays in bridgetown is ghost town. just a few taxis, some tourists who didn't plan and only 1 duty free store.

When i was there it was Wednesday the streets were very busy and lots of stuff going around... that is people, locals, tourists, taxis, cars, etc. Felt very safe, sunny, had a great time. Did the rum distillery and chocolate factory, back to ship to drop off my purchases and then walked to town and back.

Live safe and enjoy your travels.

I have never felt unsafe in Barbados, or any Caribbean island for that matter.

But We are always careful to find touristy areas to spend our time.

It's the same old story, isn't it... Location, location, location! ;)

Most of these Eastern Caribbean islands are safe

but we do experience the odd rare instance of personal assault or mugging.

Hope this helps you have a safe and uneventful time ashore in all our Caribbean islands.

Now it's happened in otherwise-peaceful St.Lucia as well! :cool:

"Celebrity Cruises confirmed that 55 passengers and two crew members

were visiting the Botanical Gardens in Soufriere on Friday when the incident occurred."

No violence, no blood shed..thankfully

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/9994365/Cruise-passengers-robbed-at-gunpoint-in-St-Lucia.html?fb

Suggest you wear NO jewelry when you go ashore

and take only minimal cash (and an older wristwatch/camera) with you

Thank you for being careful - in all these islands! ;)

It's the same old story, isn't it... Location, location, location! ;)

Not sure that the cruiseline or tour participants chose the "wrong location" in the St Lucia instance.

Based on what has happened on the west coast of Mexico, I would think the islands stand to lose a great source of income if these types of incidents become more widespread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks so much for your post....common sense is the way to go always! I would much rather hear this coming from a local then anybody else. Will be on your beautiful island in October and so looking forward to it. This will be our 2nd time and had not one complaint last time.

Archived