Hotels in New Orleans

I would stay in the French Quarter or near the Convention Center. Everything is pretty much within walking distance then. To make sure the hotel is where it claims to be, I always have "google maps" open so I can plug in the address.

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites right across from the Convention Center - it was a little further than I would have preferred, but not horrible. My sisters have stayed at the Embassy Suites a couple blocks from the Hampton - also very nice (plus you get a cooked to order breakfast and the evening managers reception with free drinks which could save you some $$$). My DH and I have stayed at the International House which is only a block from the Quarter - LOVED it! We've also stayed at the Queen & the Crescent. We loved it when we were there 12 years ago, but I haven't read such good reviews on it lately. We've also stayed at the Dauphine Orleans (I think that was the name of it) and it too was wonderful - just a block from Bourbon Street, but you couldn't hear all the partying that goes on there.

If I were going to catch a cruise, I'd want to stay somewhere with a shuttle that would take me to the docks for boarding. I'm not sure if any of the ones I've mentioned do that or not. Also and this is HUGE - I noticed you are cruising in February - you will be there during Mardi Gras season. Hotels will fill up and fill up FAST and they will be expensive. Find something now and book it. Fat Tuesday is March 4th next year, so you'll still be just under 4 weeks from the true madness, but there should still be some Krewes parading in/around the downtown area making things crowded and expensive.

When you stay in the French Quarter it can be noisy. We prefer the quieter Garden District. It's just a short trolley or taxi ride away & a world of difference.

If you aren't super picky about where you stay but want a good value, try Priceline.

You should be safe hotel wise since you are cruising the 9th of Feb and Mardi Gras is in March. You shouldn't run into the minimum stay requirements hotels have during Mardi Gras. As far as where to stay I've stayed in the Hilton, Sheraton, Crowne Plaza (all on Canal Street), Hampton Inn (right off of Canal), and the Royal Sonesta (Bourbon Street). All were nice and close to the Quarter, Aquarium, Harrah's, & trolley line.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other unless you want to hang out on Bourbon one night. Then you might like the Royal Sonesta or Crowne Plaza as they are both right there. The Crowne has black out curtains, free eye masks, and ear plugs if you feel you need them.

You can also stay across the river in Gretna. We stayed at the Quality Inn there. They have a shuttle. If you are driving, they also have a park and cruise rate.

We have reservations at this Quality Inn for 08/13. It was highly recommended by other cruisers. How convenient was it to visit the French Quarter?

We stayed at Harrah's, close to trolleys (cheap transportation). We went all over New Orleans. Really amazing. Don't forget to stop at Cafe du Monde for a beignet (what an experience).

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignets

Have fun!

We have reservations at Harrah's for late April (a land cruise). How did you like it? Any tips?

:)

There is a La Quinta on Camp Street in New Orleans that is really nice with an excellent location. Very close to the action, without the noise. Lots of little diners nearby to eat and within walking distance to everything. A cheap taxi ride away from the terminal.

My sister and I stayed at the Drury Inn. Nice quiet hotel not far from the French Quarter. We stayed 1 night precruise and 2 nights post cruise. We enjoyed our stay there. It wasn't right in the midst of the craziness of the French Quarter but was close enough to walk there.

We have reservations at this Quality Inn for 08/13. It was highly recommended by other cruisers. How convenient was it to visit the French Quarter?

Although we didn't use it, there is a ferry to cross the river. The hotel shuttle will drop off/pick up at the ferry dock. It is also a short drive back across the river. There is no toll going east across the river. There is a toll coming back west. There was a few minute backup at the toll bridge (we did not use the park and cruise rates as we made other plans).

The hotel is nice. Our room was quiet. The have a nice breakfast that was included. My only complaint is the hotel is an odd shape and finding our room was a bit of a task.

Archived