Rome in 5ish hours??

gooloobie

What would be PERFECT is to hire a driver to pick you up at the port, drive you to Rome and all the sites you want to see, keep your luggage all day, and drop you at Termini at 2:10 for your 2:30 train!! Try Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs; get a quote and see if it works for you. You could do everything you want!!

Thanks for the suggestion. How much does it normally cost for my itinerary?? If it's not that expensive, we might consider hiring a driver

Hi Gooloobi

We are on the same cruise as you. When I was looking the first express train from the Port wasn't until nearly 10am, which wasn't going to work for us as we have to catch the train to Naples at 10.30ish.

If your interested we wouldn't mind sharing transport with you to the termini which may get you in a bit earlier.

With regards to your itinerary....I would start @ Trevi fountain...you really don't need a long time here ( unless you want to sit amongst the hundreds and contemplate ) from there I would head across to the Patheon, takes about 20 minutes at casual stroll, here there a a few cafes where you could sit a while and have coffee, again unless you are a lingerer half to three quarters of an hour is enough to do the Pantheon, it's a short walk to the Piazza Navonna, again it's dependant on the amount of time you want to wander and absorb. Now from here you can either walk to St. Peter's or grab a cab (about 10 euros). If what your wanting to do is the Cuppola then you don't go into the Basilica but to the right hand side of the entrance there is a ticket booth for the stairs or elevator. Unless you really want to climb I would catch the elevator and walk down, the if you have time go for a wander into the Basilica ( if memory serves me right you avoid the line this way).... From there you can head back to the Metro, along the way there are plenty of cafes all serving pizza fairly quickly. If I was going to drop anything out it would be piazza navonna over St Peters.

Let me know if you would like to share:)

Hi Gooloobi

We are on the same cruise as you. When I was looking the first express train from the Port wasn't until nearly 10am, which wasn't going to work for us as we have to catch the train to Naples at 10.30ish.

If your interested we wouldn't mind sharing transport with you to the termini which may get you in a bit earlier.

With regards to your itinerary....I would start @ Trevi fountain...you really don't need a long time here ( unless you want to sit amongst the hundreds and contemplate ) from there I would head across to the Patheon, takes about 20 minutes at casual stroll, here there a a few cafes where you could sit a while and have coffee, again unless you are a lingerer half to three quarters of an hour is enough to do the Pantheon, it's a short walk to the Piazza Navonna, again it's dependant on the amount of time you want to wander and absorb. Now from here you can either walk to St. Peter's or grab a cab (about 10 euros). If what your wanting to do is the Cuppola then you don't go into the Basilica but to the right hand side of the entrance there is a ticket booth for the stairs or elevator. Unless you really want to climb I would catch the elevator and walk down, the if you have time go for a wander into the Basilica ( if memory serves me right you avoid the line this way).... From there you can head back to the Metro, along the way there are plenty of cafes all serving pizza fairly quickly. If I was going to drop anything out it would be piazza navonna over St Peters.

Let me know if you would like to share:)

Hi Redned09

Thanks for the advice and glad to know that we are on the same cruise:)

Regarding the transport to Termini, how many people are joining? We are a party of 2. And btw I've replied you in roll call that we are interested in the Ephesus tour, are there places left?? :)

There seems to be a local train to Termini at 8am if my bf is correct.

Thanks for the suggestion. How much does it normally cost for my itinerary?? If it's not that expensive, we might consider hiring a driver

For just transport between Civitavecchia and Rome you should figure approximately 200 Euro. If you want to be driven around until it's time to take your train the fee will more than double. This is certainly the lowest stress option but also, understandably, the most expensive. It also maximizes your limited time in Rome, which is difficult to quantify. Only you can decide your priorities. I would say that I am an inveterate mass transit user (especially in Italy) but in your situation, I'd strongly consider the car and driver option, given your very limited time and the hassles involved with dealing with your luggage.

Well now, that is what the folks that promote private tours do not like to post :). The going price for a car/driver for the day is going to generally cost you between 500 and 600 Euros. You might be able to get a taxi to do it for less....perhaps as little as 350 Euros.

Hank

When we were there I thought it was the only time we would be, so I had a list of all the sights I wanted to see in one day (including the train travel to and from Civi...port). So we literally ran or walked very fast & utilized the metro...we saw every single spot we had wanted to. It was very fast...is that the primo way to see these spots, absolutely no. It can be done, no matter what others say. If you are only going to be there once and you want to see them all, then go for it. See all you can see. Thankfully we are going again this fall, and will plan on spending some more time at our favorite spots. But until you see it all, how do you know what is your favorite spot? Last time we rushed...this time we will buy loaf of bread, bottle of wine, and sit by "our fav spot" and truly enjoy the day!

Italy is truly meant to be enjoyed and not rushed...but in the absence of time, enjoy what you can see of her.

If you could share with rednek above, that would be great and affordable.

Would not go for all your first options, as Rome is really overwhelming and five hours is not very long. For example when we went in August last year and wanted to go to St.Peters Basillica, there was only one line to get into the Basilica or the Vatican and it was a two hour wait.

We have opted for a transfer tour from the ship. This is from Celebrity, but I think other cruiselines do this too. You will get picked up from the ship and then do tour with a guide to St. Peters Basillica and the Colosseum. Then you will get dropped off at either the Ostiense train station or the airport at 2pm. Price is $155 US per person. It is a bit pricey, but no worries about luggage or standing in line.

If you could share with rednek above, that would be great and affordable.

Would not go for all your first options, as Rome is really overwhelming and five hours is not very long. For example when we went in August last year and wanted to go to St.Peters Basillica, there was only one line to get into the Basilica or the Vatican and it was a two hour wait.

We have opted for a transfer tour from the ship. This is from Celebrity, but I think other cruiselines do this too. You will get picked up from the ship and then do tour with a guide to St. Peters Basillica and the Colosseum. Then you will get dropped off at either the Ostiense train station or the airport at 2pm. Price is $155 US per person. It is a bit pricey, but no worries about luggage or standing in line.

Just so people don't get confused:

There are two separate lines (two completely different entrances) for St. Peter's Basilica and for the Vatican Museum, which includes the Sistine Chapel.

You can almost completely eliminate any long wait to get into the museum/chapel by prereserving timed tickets online at the official Vatican site.

The line outside St. Peter's generally is shorter and moves faster as it's only for security screening. However, if you're smart (and lucky) you can do the museum/Sistine first and use the "short cut" from the Sistine chapel to St. Peter's without having to go through the security line.

So, really, if you do your homework, there is no big advantage to taking a tour vs. doing it on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're willing to spend extra money, I recommend hiring a private transfer service such as RomeCabs or RomeInLimo. They could pick you up from your cruise at an early time, put your luggage in the trunk, and take you around Rome and then bring you to the airport for your flight. This would be the easiest method for you (tell them what you want to see and they'll figure out the best order and no worries about your luggage), but expensive. But it would really make the most of your short time in Rome.

Would the transfer services you mention above actually wait for you while you got out of the car and went into the Colliseum, etc. (I'm not doing the Vatican sites)?

My husband and I are thinking of purchasing tickets to the Vatican online. Does anyone know if we would have to show up exactly on time for this or if they would still honor the tickets if we arrive late? Thank you!

I've read reports on this site and others that people have shown up a little early or late and did not have problems getting admitted.

That said, I certainly wouldn't push it. If you are more than 30 minutes late, I'm not sure you could count on them to honor it, though it may happen.

Would the transfer services you mention above actually wait for you while you got out of the car and went into the Colliseum, etc. (I'm not doing the Vatican sites)?

Yes they would wait for you. You would be reserving them for more than a transfer to get the extra services. We use RomeCabs for all our Rome transfers. They (and others) can provide transfers from the port combined with a day tour.

I've read reports on this site and others that people have shown up a little early or late and did not have problems getting admitted.

That said, I certainly wouldn't push it. If you are more than 30 minutes late, I'm not sure you could count on them to honor it, though it may happen.

For what time do you think we shoud get the tickets to Vatican?

We dock at 8 am and leave at 7 pm. We will start from Vatican.

What time we should take the train from the Civitavecchia and back?

Thank you for the info.

For what time do you think we shoud get the tickets to Vatican?

We dock at 8 am and leave at 7 pm. We will start from Vatican.

What time we should take the train from the Civitavecchia and back?

Thank you for the info.

The first train you can make is the 8:41, which arrives at Roma S. Pietro at 9:23. It's a 1.1 mile walk to the entrance of the Vatican Museums. I can make that walk in 10 - 15 minutes, but people complain that I walk too fast so ... maybe you should assume 20 - 30 minutes. That would put you at the door of the museums at approximately 9:40 - 9:50. I'd shoot for 10 AM tickets but if 9:30 is all they have, I'd grab them.

As for the return, your on-board time is likely 6:30 PM. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the Civitavecchia train station to the fort at the port, where the shuttle buses pick you up to go to your ship. Allowing a little extra time, just in case the shuttle isn't there waiting when you arrive, you'd want to be arriving at Civitavecchia no later than 6 PM. I always advise people to take the train before the last train that will get you there on time; therefore, I'd suggest you aim for the train that arrives at 5:11 PM. It departs Rome Termini at 4:12 but makes stops at all of the stations in Rome, so you can pick it up at the station that is closest to your last stop of the day.

The first train you can make is the 8:41, which arrives at Roma S. Pietro at 9:23. It's a 1.1 mile walk to the entrance of the Vatican Museums. I can make that walk in 10 - 15 minutes, but people complain that I walk too fast so ... maybe you should assume 20 - 30 minutes. That would put you at the door of the museums at approximately 9:40 - 9:50. I'd shoot for 10 AM tickets but if 9:30 is all they have, I'd grab them.

As for the return, your on-board time is likely 6:30 PM. It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the Civitavecchia train station to the fort at the port, where the shuttle buses pick you up to go to your ship. Allowing a little extra time, just in case the shuttle isn't there waiting when you arrive, you'd want to be arriving at Civitavecchia no later than 6 PM. I always advise people to take the train before the last train that will get you there on time; therefore, I'd suggest you aim for the train that arrives at 5:11 PM. It departs Rome Termini at 4:12 but makes stops at all of the stations in Rome, so you can pick it up at the station that is closest to your last stop of the day.

Thank you very much for the info.

Do you know the directions from the S.Pietro station to the Vatican?

I do know the directions, but I won't be with you so that's not much help. :)

You can make a google map using Piazza Stazione di San Pietro, Roma, Italia as your starting point and Viale Vaticano 106, Roma, Italia as your ending point. Be sure to ask for walking directions or google will send you all the way around the back of Vatican City.

You can make a google map using Piazza Stazione di San Pietro, Roma, Italia as your starting point and Viale Vaticano 106, Roma, Italia as your ending point. Be sure to ask for walking directions or google will send you all the way around the back of Vatican City.

Thank you

I have reserved my Vatican Museum tickets online, and as most know the Vatican does not have credit card processing and is unable to take credit cards. So entrance has to be paid in cash.

My question is, how will my reserved tickets work? Will I still be waiting in line like everyone else? Do I just walk right to a special area?

Someone who has been through this recently, can you please tell us your experience as this is a fairly new event?

Back in July I have reserved and paid on line with credit card.

Archived