Where do tips go if you dine WJ?

Just wondering where the tips go if all that is available is MTD but you dine in WJ every night. There won't be a record of you in the computer of what table you sat at so will the tips go into the general pot or do they assume you dined in WJ? (or does WJ swipe you card for dinner service)

Just wondering where the tips go if all that is available is MTD but you dine in WJ every night. There won't be a record of you in the computer of what table you sat at so will the tips go into the general pot or do they assume you dined in WJ? (or does WJ swipe you card for dinner service)

your tips that you prepay for MTD are not just for your wait staff that evening but also for your room attendant. Everyone now if not on MTD program will have a $12 per day per person charge each day to their seapass account that will be divided amongst all persons involved with dining and room attendants. Many guests think that just because they do not eat in the dining room that tips do not apply to them but also fail to realize that these crew members also work in windjammer for breakfast service and lunch service also. So you are getting service somewhere on the ship for the food that you eat. Hope this helps...Please enjoy your cruise. Check in when you get on your ship to see if any regular dining has opened up for you.

There is a waitstaff in the WJ also. They get drinks, clean tables, etc. The tips are split with the wait staff. Just because you eat in the WJ doesn't mean there isn't staff waiting on you.:confused:

I'm not sure why people think the staff in the WJ don't get tipped/need tips. They're all part of the pool and they all rotate between MDR and WJ. A lot that work WJ for breakfast and lunch work MDR for dinner and vice versa.

Our asst. waitor worked in the WJ during breakfast and lunch.

Yes, all the wait staff rotate in the Windjammer. We have see our waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter all working the WJ. You'll also notice that when you sit at a table in WJ, there is most likely a name card on it with the name of the staff member, where s/he is from, and his or her position in the Dining Room (eg. Paul, Portugal, Assistant Waiter).

Do the tips get shared with the cooks, dishwashers, etc or just the servers? Also, do you think the laundry staff, etc get a share of the steward's tips? I've always wondered that.:)

My understanding is that they do get a cut of the tips that on the account. IMO, it's why I would not pull the tips off the account to give the tip to the people directly. The people we don't see do just as much (and sometimes more) work than those we do see and would think to tip. All for any above and beyond tips one wants to give to those who give you above and beyond service.

It sounds like all the employees will be better off now,

sharing from the big tip jar.

In my 90 days of Royal cruising...I never used the

MDR, and I know many more who don't...so I think Royal did

the right thing for the employees.

Good for them.

:cool:

Archived