A better way (IMHO) to introduce the new wine/alcohol policy

PunkiC

I think your idea is workable, but they probably send everything to committee, and as most people know, committees rarely see logic.

the big thing I'm wondering...how many of those people who read CC and aren't that bright are going to think your letter, that you added someone's signature to, is real correspondence from Princess?

An astute observation. I modify the original faux letter to better reflect what the change and implementation seems to be and am amused by the comments.

baldercash, it appears that you missed the point of the thread, which was to suggest a "better" way for Princess to proceed with the change--a way that would answer everyone's questions, seek feedback to help them (Princess) clarify any misunderstandings the new plan might cause before it is implemented, and give their passengers a feeling of ownership in the new policy. A way to create a win/win.

While it is all well and good for Princess and all of the truly law-abiding teetotalers to say, "The rules are the rules, if you don't like them then go somewhere else" the fact is that that is exactly what will happen if Princess upsets customers in the process of implementation and that's just silly.

In the process of selling the "ultimate vacation" Princess really needs to make the customers feel like they are doing everything in their power to consider all of their needs.

If people was special beer, let them have it and charge them a boarding fee. Same with fancy alcohol, charge them a fee and let them have it. What possible difference would it make?

For what it is worth, the only people I have ever seen drunk on a Princess ship, and I have been on quite a few, were people who were sitting at the bar drinking all night long.

For what it is worth, the only people I have ever seen drunk on a Princess ship, and I have been on quite a few, were people who were sitting at the bar drinking all night long.

Obviously you have never seen my hubby or I stumbling out of our cabin. ;-)

I understand the point of the thread but the people who are complaining about the new policy are most likely the ones that Princess wrote and implemented the policy to inhibit.

Why would they consult them when these people want to circumvent whatever is put in place?

In reading the thread what is prominent is that you cannot write a policy that will be understood by everyone. You make it to long and people don't read it or are confused.

You make it brief and they ask "what about this scenario".

I have a pretty basic take on rules if it doesn't say you can do it then you can't.

I am surprised no one has asked yet what happens if they bring a barrel of wine or keg of their favorite beer. How is Princess to accommodate that?

Here is a better one .

I like to do my own home brewing and am planning a b2b2b2b will I be allowed to pursue my hobby while on board? I will not be bringing any alcohol on board just some yeast and miscellaneous equipment the other ingredients I can get form the buffet.

So 2 free 750ml of wine per cabin $15.00 on additional 750ml of wine. No other alcohol allowed. Present and declare as you board.

It is what it is we just have to get over it and move on.

This from a guy who has taken a blender on a cruise, I won't even mention the volume of liquor.

baldercash writes:

It is what it is we just have to get over it and move on.

The problem being that no one is really quite sure what "it is".

We have heard "officially" that you can board wine in your checked bags. We have also heard "officially" that you can't.

We have heard "officially" that no wine can be boarded at ports. We have also heard "officially that it can.

We have heard, I am not sure how officially, that liquor can be boarded for storage at ports of call and we have also heard that it can't.

Princess now has three choices: They can continue to stumble along in their usual manner, upsetting people along the way; they can really clarify the new policy and all of its ramifications (take it or leave it), or they can back off and try to get passenger input on (thereby building ownership of) any new policies they institute.

We have always openly brought wine on board at embarkation and at ports of call. We honestly never knew that we shouldn't. If we have to pay $15.00 a bottle corkage, so be it--we will save money and be able to drink wine we really like. We're happy.

While we personally don't much care about beer or hard liquor, but some people do and it would probably be in Princess's best interest to try to make those folks happy too. What would they lose and what would they gain by adding a surcharge to passenger-boarded beer and liquor?

It is after all a hospitality business.

So 2 free 750ml of wine per cabin $15.00 on additional 750ml of wine. No other alcohol allowed. Present and declare as you board.

No, One Bottle Allowed Free Per Adult. That part, at least, is consistent across the Boarding Pass, Contract, Luggage Tag, and even the 2012 and earlier contracts.

I don't know where all these posters are getting "Two Bottles Per Cabin" from. :confused:

I board a Royal Caribbean on April 3rd a 15 day TA. Their new policy is that you can bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin we will be doing that. I wonder what will happen if I bring more, they should be willing to accommodate me now that they have loosened up their policy!

What we are forgetting is all the hassles and delays in boarding that processing all these different beverages and requests cause other passengers and the logistics and wasted time for the crew.

I believe this is why Princess has been so lenient in the past.

Now due to a death or be it lost revenue they are implementing controls that have always been in place just not enforced.

Drinking is an expensive hobby and even more so in Canada compared to the US. Imagine what Europeans who can buy a bottle for 2e must think.

Wonder if I buy excess wine at duty free at the airport if I can drink it in flight on the way down to NOLA?

I do love a good glass of Merlot while in flight and I cannot bring it on the ship!

I am sure the airline will understand as they don't carry the brand and I would be willing to pay the surcharge.

No, One Bottle Allowed Free Per Adult. That part, at least, is consistent across the Boarding Pass, Contract, Luggage Tag, and even the 2012 and earlier contracts.

I don't know where all these posters are getting "Two Bottles Per Cabin" from. :confused:

We are making the assumption there are usually 2 people in a cabin.

But you are correct it is one bottle per passenger, or 4 bottles if there are 4 people in a cabin.

What is the legal drinking age on board is it fair since in Quebec it is 18 and lots of countries do not even have one.

Does it specify the passenger has to be of legal drinking age? Can kids bring it on? Is it in the policy? In a court of law a person over 18 is considered an adult and can be charged as such and at times even 16 year old's are charged as adults. Adults is very ambiguous it requires clarification.

Just being facetious and it is not directed at you sminfiddle you raised a very good point.

We can drown in the minutiae of this debate even on dry land.

Does it specify the passenger has to be of legal drinking age? Can kids bring it on? Is it in the policy?

What is the legal drinking age on board is it fair since in Quebec it is 18 and lots of countries do not even have one.

Yes, No, Yes, and 21 because the US has the highest, most restrictive drinking age.

My 18-yo daughter did not drink alcohol on board but she did drink with us in Mexico, Honduras etc. where she could. Fair? She thought not...

I board a Royal Caribbean on April 3rd a 15 day TA. Their new policy is that you can bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin we will be doing that. I wonder what will happen if I bring more, they should be willing to accommodate me now that they have loosened up their policy!

From the RCCL web site:

Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.

Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored onboard and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing.

The other aspect that I have not seen mentioned in any of these threads yet is that by printing it on the boarding pass and luggage tag, passengers are now more likely to bring at least one bottle with them at boarding.

OP on the thread regarding the start of implementation on the Golden last week added this post after the stop in Hilo:

"Just got back on board at Hilo. Well the new policy and how it works gets clearer. All wine is taken from you as you board the ship, a receipt is issued and its delivered to your cabin later today, its then checked to see if you have already brought wine on board, if so a charge of $15 is charged to your room, if not its counted as your free 1 per person."

Looks like Princess is starting to work out the kinks in their implementation plan. I wonder how many more hours it will take for staff to implement the new policy?

we are currently cruising on the Dawn Princess and some passengers tried to bring wine on in Brisbane and it was taken off them by security and they were informed they would get their bottles on the last day and no mention of the $15 corkage fee.......maybe the right hand doesnt what the left hand is doing

we are currently cruising on the Dawn Princess and some passengers tried to bring wine on in Brisbane and it was taken off them by security and they were informed they would get their bottles on the last day and no mention of the $15 corkage fee.......maybe the right hand doesnt what the left hand is doing

That would never happen at Princess!

we are currently cruising on the Dawn Princess and some passengers tried to bring wine on in Brisbane and it was taken off them by security and they were informed they would get their bottles on the last day and no mention of the $15 corkage fee.......maybe the right hand doesn't what the left hand is doing

This happened with a couple in Sydney (well I believe it was Sydney) a week or so ago and, after they raised the issue with the Princess staff, and on the Princess Facebook site, their wine was returned to their cabin and they were charged the $15.00 corkage fee per each bottle after the first per adult, as was stated on their luggage tags.

Yes, the communication on the part of Princess, both internally and externally, is woefully lacking.

It occurred to me that perhaps their total lack of communication is intentional. That way, if they don't like the way things are going after they start testing the waters, they can change direction more easily.

It occurred to me that perhaps their total lack of communication is intentional. That way, if they don't like the way things are going after they start testing the waters, they can change direction more easily.

I had that though as well.

Sort of a CYA move.:rolleyes:

Mike:)

OP on the thread regarding the start of implementation on the Golden last week added this post after the stop in Hilo:

"Just got back on board at Hilo. Well the new policy and how it works gets clearer. All wine is taken from you as you board the ship, a receipt is issued and its delivered to your cabin later today, its then checked to see if you have already brought wine on board, if so a charge of $15 is charged to your room, if not its counted as your free 1 per person."

Looks like Princess is starting to work out the kinks in their implementation plan. I wonder how many more hours it will take for staff to implement the new policy?

Interesting. I haven't been following all the new "wine" threads - but does that mean during embarkation someone is making a note on your booking/record that you each brought a bottle of wine - or not? Otherwise how would they know (ref above)?

Interesting. I haven't been following all the new "wine" threads - but does that mean during embarkation someone is making a note on your booking/record that you each brought a bottle of wine - or not? Otherwise how would they know (ref above)?

No one actually knows, Brian. This whole policy has been very poorly explained and implemented to date.

Presumably, they will mark your record for the free bottle, and every bottle thereafter, and charge your account accordingly.

The problem being that no one is really quite sure what "it is".

We have heard "officially" that you can board wine in your checked bags. We have also heard "officially" that you can't.

We have heard "officially" that no wine can be boarded at ports. We have also heard "officially that it can.

We have heard, I am not sure how officially, that liquor can be boarded for storage at ports of call and we have also heard that it can't.

Princess now has three choices: They can continue to stumble along in their usual manner, upsetting people along the way; they can really clarify the new policy and all of its ramifications (take it or leave it), or they can back off and try to get passenger input on (thereby building ownership of) any new policies they institute..

Yes, the communication on the part of Princess, both internally and externally, is woefully lacking.

Hello Princess Corp., Have you read the above highlighted comments? Please read this:

[COLOR=blue]What a pathetic way for a large company to operate. We are shocked and disappointed. We are elite on Princess, and while we cruise other lines, we have preferred Princess for a variety of reasons, but mainly because we have been able to bring wine onboard with no hassles. We buy a bottle at dinner every night. However we do enjoy a glass in our cabin, and we also like to pick up a bottle of local wine when in ports.[/color]

We believe that the new policy and the disorganized way it has been introduced is an insult to your customers. If you continue in this way to treat us as unruly children, then we will "take our ball and go play elsewhere". What a shame!:([/color]

baldercash, you miss the point.

It is not about the policy per se, but instead about the lack of clarification and communication. Those of us who are loyal, elite, Princess passengers really do feel that we deserve better communication.

Princess has really done a shameful job in communication (or lack thereof) on this one.

Archived