Quantum new announcement.

They are competing. They have the Explorer :)
That is not really such a great comparison....13 year old ship next to brand new, not such a wise choice. Additionally, MANY have sailed Explorer over and over and it seems like those same people are ready and in need of a change.

That is not really such a great comparison....13 year old ship next to brand new, not such a wise choice. Additionally, MANY have sailed Explorer over and over and it seems like those same people are ready and in need of a change.

I have never understood why RCI so seldom swaps ships of the same class as CCL and Princess does. Why not switch out Explorer with Mariner or Adventure every couple of years if they don't want to put a new class there.

I have never understood why RCI so seldom swaps ships of the same class as CCL and Princess does. Why not switch out Explorer with Mariner or Adventure every couple of years if they don't want to put a new class there.

It is because they can't think 'outside the box'.

Developing unique itineraries would be a first step. Bet the Explorer has run the same itinerary set (except holidays) since it arrived. Look at prices on Oasis/Allure....dropping to less per day than what we paid in California during Mariner's tenure. But they announce an Oasis TA, and the people are wild and crazy to book.

Developing unique itineraries would be a first step. Bet the Explorer has run the same itinerary set (except holidays) since it arrived. Look at prices on Oasis/Allure....dropping to less per day than what we paid in California during Mariner's tenure. But they announce an Oasis TA, and the people are wild and crazy to book.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/rci-we-love-you-but-not-your-caribbean-ports/

:);)

Wish this were true. I have never seen OV balcony cabins on the Allure or Oasis for anywhere near what we were paying on the Mariner.

Edit...Just checked some past pricing before taxes and fees $790 for an E1 NYE, $841 JS March 2010, $450 D1 Jan 2010. Prices on the Mariner were dropped way low to fill the ship.

Wish this were true. I have never seen OV balcony cabins on the Allure or Oasis for anywhere near what we were paying on the Mariner.

Yeah. I don't know what prices he's seeing but I'm seeing 1,450-1,700 PP for balcony rooms this summer on OA/AL.

There are not that many itineraries that can be done from New York. Look at Breakaways itinerary. Nothing unique about either one of them. I do think they should have switched the ships around. Even though all the Voyager class are pretty much the same they should have done that.

True, they could of did that...although I'm not sure something within the same class would matter that much now since its been nine to ten years (seasonal at first) with a voyager class in Bayonne. I guess the one big plus/difference at least with the Mariner would be that the balconies are outside of the hull and not that "cavelike" feel like the first three voyager class ships have.

I hope this new annoucement is something bigger than their last bit of information which was just to annouce the Godmother. I'm one of the many here who wish the homeport for Quantum will be NJ even if its seasonal.

I think he is looking for something new.

If I was in NY, I would too. Been there done that type of idea.

Exactly. I've been on Explorer out of Bayonne twice, did Voyager out of Bayonne twice before that... same ol' same ol'. The Generation 1 Voyager Class ships are stale at this point IMHO and would be better serve either the short cruise market (where they would be among the best ships sailing) or exotic / smaller markets like Asia. The large, lucrative NYC area market should have a better ship than the Explorer.

On another note, good to hear from you Andrew! Wedding prep is basically done and we're all set for the honeymoon on Celebrity Silhouette out of Rome (returning to Venice), 12 nights. Should be amazing! We had a great time on the New Years cruise on the Carnival Breeze, but won't be rushing back to Carnival anytime soon. We're hoping we'll love NCL so they can be our RCI alternative going forward.

Exactly, again. Of course the poster who said RCI is technically competing by posting Explorer in NJ is correct. What I should have said was they need to be competitive. The 13 year old Explorer is not competitive with the brand new and super innovative Breakaway, and I put my money where my mouth is by booking Breakaway as I know many others have as well.

Lastly, It's important to me as a cruiser in NYC as a matter of principle to support a line that's willing to invest in our market by sending its newest, most innovative ship, as NCL has with Breakaway. I'm quite confident that the market will reward their decision to do so, and the same will apply to RCI if they send Quantum or Anthem up here.

Of course the poster who said RCI is technically competing by posting Explorer in NJ is correct. What I should have said was they need to be competitive. The 13 year old Explorer is not competitive with the brand new and super innovative Breakaway, and I put my money where my mouth is by booking Breakaway as I know many others have as well.

Lastly, It's important to me as a cruiser in NYC as a matter of principle to support a line that's willing to invest in our market by sending its newest, most innovative ship, as NCL has with Breakaway. I'm quite confident that the market will reward their decision to do so, and the same will apply to RCI if they send Quantum or Anthem up here.

In my opinion they should have put Freedom of the Seas or Liberty of the Seas to replace Explorer a few years ago. Except the issue may have been the Bermuda dock. The dock had to be expanded for Breakaway this season and that probably means Freedom and Liberty could not be used until now either.

As for Breakaway it does sound good but NCL is not as good a cruise line as Royal Caribbean. I did the Dawn out of New York and did not care for the cruise line or ship. I do have Breakaway booked to give NCL a chance because the ship does sound innovative but I fear it won't be all that good. We shall see.

I do hope that Quantum of the Seas will be based in the New York area.

. The 13 year old Explorer is not competitive with the brand new and super innovative Breakaway, and I put my money where my mouth is by booking Breakaway as I know many others have as well.

I hear ya....I also booked the Breakaway.;)

Just throwing this out there....April 18th is the date Winter Carrib and Northeast itineraries open for booking. Announcement April 16th lines up with availability to get the first few cruises on Quantum on the 18th.

Looking forward to the Quantum Inaugural. Have now sailed on all (some more than once) the Oasis, Freedom, Radiance, Vision Classes + Monarch of the Seas as our first RCL Ship. We have sailed on the Voyager twice and didn't like her but since have been on the Adventure and booked Explorer and Navigator. Want to finish all RCCL ships. The Mariner and Majasty will be the only ones we haven't sailed on. After being on the Voyager the Adventure was a real surprise and we really enjoyed her in March. We also have been on the HAL, Disney, NCL, NCLA, Princess ships but did not like them as much as RCCL. Never been and never will sail on Carnaval ships.

We have a "NEXT CRUISE" duel waiting for the Quantum.

What about the subway car in New York City that is shaped like a Royal Caribbean ship. Does anyone know if is it still running? I took that to be a big clue as to where the Quantum might be sailing from. 12 days to the announcement.

Take care... hope to meet you somewhere on the Quantum

Irene & Miles from Michigan

LOYAL TO ROYAL

I hear ya....I also booked the Breakaway.;)

I'm waiting on NCL Getaway to come down here to FL, but we will definitely be giving her a shot. I've wanted to try NCL for a while now and these ships sound pretty amazing. They look a lot better than the NCL Shoebox.

We are booked on the Breakaway and are very excited to see this ship and the shows being offered. To have a new RC ship from the NY area would be fantastic also! I am almost sure this will come to be. Someone has to compete with the NCL Breakaway! :D

I agree. We are on Breakaway in November 2013 and hope to book Quantum (from Bayonne ;) ) in November 2014.

Archived