Alaska Shadow questions- dining, excursions etc

Alaska_baby!

We just finalized our summer plans to cruise aboard the Silver Shadow and are so excited! Today I bought binoculars (Nikon 8x42 Monarch 3 and Zen-ray Summit 10x42 ZRS HD) after reading several threads here.

Josh has been on a couple cruises (not with Silversea though) but this is my first cruise ever so I welcome any advice!

I have seen here that reservations can sometimes fill up quickly for the alternate restaurants so I am planning on going to the maitre d when we board and setting up reservations right away. Question- should I make reservations for each night and then cancel as the week goes on if we choose to dine in our room or the MDR? Or is this a faux pas?

Also, we are trying to figure out which excursions we want to do. Any recommendations? Don't laugh at me (first time cruiser remember) but it actually seemed odd to me that we would get off the ship at all.

Also, if anyone else is on this cruise (Aug 1) I would love to connect!

Best, Paige

Congratulations Paige! The Shadow and Alaska was the first cruise my wife and I ever took. We had a wonderful time and I hope you will too!

My favorite port in Alaska that our Silversea cruise visited was Wrangell. If it is included in your itinerary, I would highly recommend the excursion to the Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory. At Anan, you will see the largest concentration of bald eagles anywhere in the world and you'll be amazed how many bear you will see feeding in the river while teaching their young cubs how to fish. Anan is truly an excursion of a lifetime.

Finally, I'd encourage you to search this forum for more great advice as there have been lots of posts about Alaska in the past. Also, you may consider starting a roll call on the Silversea Roll Call forum to see if there might be other CC'ers joining you on your voyage to Alaska.

Best Wishes!

That's great advice. I have indeed been systematically going through older posts on the board. There is a wealth of information here!

I tried to start a roll call but just realized I created a social group instead- fixing now.

It looks like we do not stop at Wrangell.

Our itinerary-

Embark at Vancouver, Canada

Cruising the Inside Passage

Ketchikan, Alaska, USA

Cruising Tracyarm/Sawyer Glacier

Juneau, Alaska, USA

Skagway, Alaska, USA

Sitka, Alaska, USA

Cruising Hubbard Glacier

Seward, Alaska, USA Disembark

Two years ago we went on our very first cruise to Alaska as well. It is a fabulous trip. We went on the floatplane ride in Ketchikan and I would say it was one of the highlights of the trip! It is worth the price! In Juneau we made our own plans, took a native bus to Mendenhall Glacier which worked well. The couple we cruised with took the catamaran glacier viewing excursion-got off the ship onto a smaller boat that could get up closer to the glaciers and they loved it. Of course, we took the train trip in Skagway which was very scenic. My favorite spot was Sitka and again we walked the town and went to the raptor center and the park there on our own. As far as dining, we made reservations only one night and that was for the Italian restaurant ( I can't remember the name) but every other night we ate in the main dining room and we could walk in and get a table for the four of us without a reservation and the meals were terrific. Let me know if you need any other information. You're in the the trip of a lifetime! Karen

P.S. Be sure to get up early especially the two mornings that the ship goes into Sawyer Glacier and Hubbard Glacier- incredible!

In Alaska, more than most places, it is important to plan excursions that take you out of the ports themselves, most of which resemble back lots on movie studios with jewelry stores attached. AS mentioned the float plane to Misty fjords is unforgettable. Or a helicopter ride to go dog sledding on Mendenhahl glacier. Or whale watching boar excursions. Or bear spotting trips. Each of these will create indelible memories.

Haven't been to Alaska, so I'll just stick to your dining question. I wouldn't suggest making alternate dining reservations for every night, right on your first day (and the Maitre d' might not permit it anyhow). But you can review the itinerary and see how late you'll be in each port (i.e., which nights might make a leisurely dinner unlikely, in which case you could plan to dine in the Restaurant). Then you could schedule your "alternate dining" for nights when you'll be back on the ship early, with plenty of time to relax and enjoy the experience.

(P.S. If you haven't already done this, I encourage you to scour Silversea's hard-copy brochure, especially the General Information and Terms & Conditions sections in the back, for lots of must-know information.)

In Alaska, more than most places, it is important to plan excursions that take you out of the ports themselves, most of which resemble back lots on movie studios with jewelry stores attached. AS mentioned the float plane to Misty fjords is unforgettable. Or a helicopter ride to go dog sledding on Mendenhahl glacier. Or whale watching boar excursions. Or bear spotting trips. Each of these will create indelible memories.

This is great advice.

With many ships in port at the same time it is far better to get out of town.

Also, as you prepare for Alaska keep in mind that the weather changes often even within the same day. It is very important to layer. Be sure to bring waterproof jackets, a sweater or fleece, waterproof pants if possible, a couple of walking shoes with one being waterproof and a combination of long clothing but also some short tops and even a pair of shorts. You just never know what to expect.

Keith

Archived