Spring Break on the Breeze! March 10-16th ~Oh My!~

RainbowsMist

We sailed on the Carnival Breeze March 10-16th for Spring Break!

Our Cruisin' Family - DH (41), Me (40), DD (18), DDBF (19), DD (16), DD (10), DM (69), DF (70)

This was the first ever cruise for all of us (also my first trip report - so bare with me). I told myself going into this adventure I would love cruising because there so many places I want to go!

Pre-Cruise:

We (DH, myself and the kids) decided to drive from Nova Scotia to Manchester, NH as flights were soooo much cheaper. Traveling as a family of 6 you have to be somewhat thrifty and on a budget or we’d be flat broke! lol

We booked a Park Sleep & Fly rate at Homewood Suites Manchester Airport (which was beautiful btw..we had 2 bedrooms, a pull out couch, kitchenette, 2 bathrooms…all recently remodeled). We flew non-stop with Southwest (another first) into FLL (again, less expensive than MIA).

8608186668_9190418702_m.jpg

We rented a Mini-Van from Alamo as we wanted to stop and grab some water, snacks, & wine for the cruise. The Mini-Van turned out to be $50 cheaper than our original plan (SAS Transportation). Driving from FLL to MIA was no problem.

My parents flew from Halifax into Miami. DH and I dropped off the Mini-Van at Alamo, hopped on the MIA people mover and met my parents coming off their plane. We thought it may also be easier for them/us in case they got lost on the way to the hotel ;) After grabbing their luggage we waited (about 25 minutes) for the Hotel Shuttle. We stayed at La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Airport East. We chose this hotel because they offered free transportation to/from the Airport/Cruise Port. Basically we were looking for a clean place to stay to rest our heads for one night. They also had a complimentary breakfast which was quite good. We definitely would choose this hotel again!

Side note: Somewhere between Flying 35,000 feet and dropping off the Mini-Van I lost my cell phone! :mad: What a lovely way to start vacation!

Next up: Embarkation & The Cabin

Embarkation:

We arrived at POM via hotel shuttle at 10:30, we had purchased FTTF and were on board with drink in hand by 11:30. It really was a painless process and everything went smoothly...even after I forgot to print DM and DF boarding passes....oops!! :o

8607114369_7436c0bae7_m.jpg

Thank you to my fellow CC members for recommending the Miami Vice & Kiss on the Lips...they were sooo yummy and I can't wait to make them this summer! :)

A side note about FTTF; they were telling everyone they couldn't get into the cabins until 1:30. We tried at first but all the access points were closed. Then we went up a deck and asked someone else, showed we had FTTF and they said yes. We scooted back down and opened the access doors. It was great to unload all our stuff and go explore.

Cabin:

We had 3 7B aft cabins (7431, 7439, 7436). Edwin was our room steward and he was absolutely wonderful! He was so sweet to my parents and kids with their cabins as well. The kids had Peter as their room steward and really liked him. It was nice that both room stewards knew we were all part of the same family yet on opposite sides of the ship. The only down side of our cabin location was "the smell". We determined the smell came from the funnel. There was no smell forward or mid ship, only at the aft and especially bad when you walked outside. That being said, many times walking to our cabin and in the cabin itself it smelled. Other than “the smell” cabin was wonderful. There were three of us in my cabin and we had lots of space...everything was wonderful.

8607035687_49b21ba291_m.jpg

Next up: Food!!

Food:

We had ATD and loved it! Addi was our server two of the three nights we ate in the MDR (we requested him the second night for DDBF's 19th birthday). I purchased a cake at Cherry on Top when we boarded and it was delivered and served for dessert as promised. We loved the crew singing Happy Birthday too. It was a very special moment :-)

8608139434_631d723020_m.jpg DD (18) and DDBF (19) <br>

8608137694_4b10a42b91_m.jpg DM & DF

8607166597_6269bdf663_m.jpg DD (16) & DH

We ordered room service twice for lunch it was delicious! The Chicken Fajita’s and Chocolate Cake are so yummy!

8608209062_d5f593e76c_m.jpg8608212094_d8c28935e6_m.jpg

We also ordered breakfast twice on Port Days which was just fine and served the purpose. We all enjoyed the Lido Marketplace (very much!) and also tried Cucina Del Capitao and Guys Burgers which both were good. Guys Burgers was always lined up but we did find a time during our last day when we were at port there were no lines. We had brunch one day in the Blush Dining Room (Punchliner Comedy Brunch) but didn’t see any comedians as we were there and gone before their first act (10:00 am).

We didn’t try Fat Jimmy’s as it was always lined up, nor did we try the Steakhouse, or Mongolian Wok.

For those with kids, I didn’t even know there was a kids menu in the MDR until our last when I walked by and saw a little boy with Pizza. Of course DD (10) asked Addi after she saw the pizza.

Up Next: Ports

Ports:

Grand Turk: We missed Grand Turk which was a huge disappointed, it was what drew us to the cruise we picked originally. That being said, we understood and just went with the flow.

No point in getting upset and ruining our vacation over things we have absolutely no control over. Better safe than sorry!

May as well drown our sorrows in some Black Forest Cake!

8608142720_65e5e6b238_m.jpg

Or play in the arcade..

8607046479_5dd18b92a1_m.jpg

Maybe some Mini Golf..

8607118459_68cb5ef093_m.jpg

Time to hit Waterworks!

8608198242_8f3a44fcfa_m.jpg

Or just enjoy the view from our balcony after a fun day at Sea...

8608204266_b50699444b_m.jpg

Up Next..Jamaica and OH! those entertaining Pier Runners!

Ocho Rios:

We were given extra time in Jamaica because we missed GT. We stuck with our original plan. Hopped off, checked out Island Village Shops and some other shopping across the street and were back on board by noon.

8607085089_a834ca0751_m.jpg

8608183758_fbbab91a9d_m.jpg

8608180300_5b5467fb09_m.jpg

8608173386_d8ed6916cc_m.jpg

8607070297_d0ba105af9_m.jpg

We had absolutely NO PROBLEM being bombarded by the locals or any of the other horror stories I’ve read. Last year we spent a week in Jamaica and we were mentally prepared getting off the ship but we didn’t encounter any problems.

We then went up by the pool and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon while the ship was much less crowded. DD loved the pool time all to herself! Yes that's her in the pool! lol

8608199868_c36b242e43_m.jpg

What a great review so far, i gotta say you are doing a good job being your first time!!:D

I'm really happy to hear that the La Quinta you stayed in was a great place cause we are staying there before we go on the Breeze April 27th!

Miami Vice is my FAVORITE drink as well, its the first thing i get when i get on the ship!!

Looking forward to the rest of your review, thank you for sharing!!:)

I just figured out how to post my pics bigger! Great timing! lol

Pier Runners:

This being our first cruise and after reading stories on CC I told the family we have to sit on our balconies just to watch should any events unfold…lol

The highlight of our day was watching the Pier Runners and listening to all the fellow cruisers clap and heckle the runners. It was rather entertaining... lol.

8607060267_aa89fea05e_b.jpg

8607062509_74dc707ef7_b.jpg

This one lady didn't think it was very funny as she was running so she stopped to "finger salute" the crowd and yell profanities at everyone cheering her on.

8607291283_65832e4188_b.jpg

There was also a group of college young men who seriously were considering jumping off the pier just before entering back on the ship. I think they had a little too much “courage in a bottle” from Jamaica.

8607063923_55cee4b053_b.jpg

After an entertaining "show" it was time to set sail again..

8607059351_6ee52bdc6a_b.jpg

Goodnight Jamaica

8607057369_e1dda26a81_b.jpg

Up Next: Nassau, Bahamas

Nassau:

Our day in Nassau was spent at the British Colonial Hilton which was a short 10 minute walk from the Ship.

8607026895_93e81933c6_b.jpg

With 5 ships in port on our day and over 17,000 passengers we chose this as a "getaway from it all" destination and it did not disappoint!

8607019001_a4d2b60e24_b.jpg

8607011537_1c504405d1_b.jpg

We were the first to arrive therefore the first to get great loungers on the beach.

8608122838_dc68f7cba7_b.jpg

8608102126_fccf8dcc12_b.jpg

We paid $60 pp and in return we each received a $40 meal/drink voucher. On the way back to the ship we stopped at the Straw Market (which was a ZOO) but we can now say “been there, done that”!

After a wonderful peaceful day it was once again time to set sail..

8608065346_68fbedd94d_b.jpg

Up Next: Fun Onboard

Fun on board:

Our first cruise and we won a Ship on a Stick playing Trivia!!! We played Tri-Bond at the Ocean Plaza. We also came in 2nd playing Win Lose or Draw and we all received medals :-) We really enjoyed the Trivia. We usually would play an hour in the afternoon just to get away from the crowds...it was great family time :-) We went to The Brits, Hasboro Game Show and The Love Game. The Love Game was absolutely hilarious and not to be missed!! DM and DF also went to the Motown Show and really enjoyed it.

DD (18) and DDBF (19) tried to get into the comedy club our last night but there wasn't even standing room so they left. DD heard I "told you so" the rest of the vacation..lol

We took DD (10) to the Build A Bear “Beary Cuddly” and she enjoyed it but that was the only Camp Carnival thing she wanted to do. I thought it was so sweet that Edwin (our room steward) "tucked in" DD's bear during the evening turn down service. DD was tickled pink!

8607101469_2d60cd964e_b.jpg

DD (16) hit the gym everyday as well as the running track and DM enjoyed Yoga on board :-)

We played mini golf and watched a movie at the Dive In Theatre.

Here's some pics from around the ship:

8607052593_9d71d3a0fc_b.jpg

8608148958_9a0e6db28c_b.jpg

8608156000_2c8cc5c417_b.jpg

8607041651_a9657eaf70_b.jpg

8608144106_c8bb485aa9_b.jpg

Up Next: Pools & Chair Hogs

Pools:

Most of the time we’d try to spend our time at the Tides Pool as it was much more quiet than the Beach Pool. Really, do they need to have it THAT LOUD? That being said, having a DD (10) we did put our time in at the Beach Pool and Waterworks.

8607115255_93f2a1be2c_b.jpg

I realize Cruise Ships are not resorts but “Holy Cow” I wasn’t expecting the pools to be that small for that amount of people. I totally understand why they are...they are limited to space..but I was still quite surprised.

I posted this pic at the beginning but after figuring out how to post them bigger I thought I would post again.

8607121797_9873c83d00_b.jpg

I told DD (10) going into it she wasn’t cruisin’ just to swim in the pool…there were lots more things to do and she would get lots of swimming time when we were at ports. She did really enjoy Waterworks, the pools and even met a friend the last day (isn’t that always the way? lol).

Chair Hogs:

The Chair Hogs were in full force but so were the Chair Hog Police! ;)

8607441379_b41a956064_b.jpg

It was great to see they were enforcing the policy as many people didn’t have a place to sit and many people never did come back for those towels they put on the chair at the crack of dawn. Not sure where they went…..

Up Next: Our unfortunate event..

Spring Break:

Our only unfortunate moment on our vacation was dealing with young drunken 20 something year olds. We had an unfortunate incident with one. We were coming off the elevator from the Hasboro Game Show and 3 young men (21ish) were getting on. They were absolutely hammered drunk. One young man yelled to my 16 year old daughter "stop that girl, she has big boobs!". My dad told me to ignore them and keep walking however my motherly instinct said otherwise. I turned around, as did my mother who was with us and stared at him. He then took his beer bong (we had been in Jamaica that day earlier) and made a VERY obscene sexual gesture towards my mother and I with the beer bong and his crotch. My poor mother was mortified and I was very angry. He then yelled "sorry I ruined your vacation b* tch!".

Now DH was way ahead and around the corner. By the time he heard, the elevator was closed and they were gone. DH was livid!!! I convinced him to come back to the cabin. I called guest services who then sent security up to our room. Three men and a woman security officer came. I had to fill out a signed statement. Apparently they take these situations very seriously. They asked if DD was OK and needed medical attention. I said no. They also asked if we wanted to press charges and if so the Miami police department would meet us back in Miami. I again said no. I felt it was best we order room service in the cabin as DH was very fired up. I also told DD I didn't feel comfortable with her going for her nightly run on the running track. Jamaica brought out some real crazies that day!!

During the cruise we noticed LOTS of groups of college aged kids. They were the problem, not little ones or teens with families. I asked the security officer how all the college kids could book and stay on their own as it was my understanding they couldn't. He said they usually have their parents book for them. That I still don't understand....? We later spoke with our room steward about our incident and he shared stories with us about his dealings with the college kids on our cruise. Just plain disrespect for humans in general. I felt so bad for what the staff has to put up with.

Putting that behind us, let's focus on a Happier Memory!

8607083069_93bca04aae_b.jpg

8608135160_4f2a5d5e7b_b.jpg

8607108513_4b40b9a287_b.jpg

8607089887_36f4efe9c5_b.jpg

8607103543_564e1d67dc_b.jpg

Up Next: Disembarking, Post Cruise

Great review!

I am so very sorry that you had to deal with the college idiots though:mad: I wish I'd been on that elevator with you as they would have gotten way more than a look from me.

I'm equally surprised that they were able to book a cruise themselves let alone afford one.

Motion of the Ocean

One thing I totally forgot about was the motion of the ocean. This was always a concern of mine as I'd never cruised before. I realized well into our first evening that what we were experiencing wasn't the "norm". People were sick in the elevators, a little boy was sick by the gift shop and while his dad was rubbing his back (he could tell I was a little off kilter myself) I asked him if this was normal? He said this was their 5th cruise and they've never experienced motion like this before and his sons first time ever getting sick. DH was also speaking with Edwin (have I told you how much we LOVE him?!!) and Edwin told us once we hit the Caribbean waters things will smooth out. It had been abnormally cold in Miami the few days prior and day we left so the cooler waters made it more choppy. White caps were clearly visible. I must say, after the 2nd night I really enjoyed being rocked to sleep like a baby each night. We all slept wonderfully!! :)

Disembarking:

We chose to do the Assist Disembark where we had so much luggage and we did purchase FTTF. We were off the ship and on the Alamo Shuttle to the airport at 8:00 am. It was a painless and smooth transition.

Post Cruise:

We rented a 15 passenger van, drove to Orlando and spent 9 days in the same house we rented a couple of years ago. We did Sea World, US, IOA, MK, EP, and Aquatica. Being in Orlando and at the parks vs being on the ship, my poor wallet is still crying :eek:

During our stay at the house and conversations on our 11 hour drive back home we all agreed….we are DONE with the whole “Disney Park Thing”….we LOVE CRUISIN’! We’ve been to Disney three times in the last 5 years and last year we did our first all inclusive at Jamaica. Cruisin' is by far our favourite vacation.

Since being home, we’ve decided April 26th, 2014 we’re doing the 8 nights on the Breeze (GT, DR, Aruba and Curacao)…countdown is ON again :) Hmm..I wonder what my chances are of getting Edwin again if we book the same room? :D

8607541713_3b57fdd76d_b.jpg

Thanks for the review! Not going on that ship, but still gets me excited!:)

The reason there were so many college kids, is because as long as they are 21, they can book themselves.

Unfortunately people around my age do not know how to handle themselves or be respectful.

I'm sorry that you had to encounter that and I hope DD didn't let it bother her too much.

I don't think my DBF would have handled that as well as your DH did.

We were on the Breeze March 2-10 i had two cabins 9 aft 9444 and 9446 and omg the hallway always smelled like sewage and your right sometimes the cabins a couple of times they came in and but something blue in the toliets!

Archived