British Colonial Hilton Review ~with pics~

RainbowsMist

Thanks for the review! Can you believe this will be our FIRST trip to Nassau?!!?

Anyway, we were supposed to go to Atlantis many years ago for our first cruise but it was cancelled. Since then prices have skyrocketed, even getting a room at the Comfort Suites isn't the cost-effective.

I am travelling with DH and DD 16, as well as my elderly parents. I want them to enjoy the sun and sand but don't want to take a taxi (Sheraton) or spend a fortune (Atlantis).

This sounds perfect. My Dad will be in a manual wheelchair and would love to just be able to wheel him over to the BCH. Do you think we will be able to make it over there, are there sidewalks without having to worry about going into the street??

If you are relatively healthy you can do the walk; its flat and about 10 city blocks - or you could hop on one of the horse drawn carriages and ask them to take you - it may cost you a bit but they would most likely do it.

The Sheraton is nice but a taxi ride away; it is very wheelchair friendly though

Great review - thank you for sharing, we have been to Nassau many times and have always gone to the Sheraton - we decided to try something different this time and are heading to BCH :) Now I am very excited

dst,

I know you have not gone to BCH yet, but looking at the review and having been to Sheraton what do you see as the difference. I am concerned we would never get through the $60 of food and drink. There are 5 adults and 1 teen.

So you can walk to BCH, but it is much further to walk to Sheraton? is there a jetty that will drop at the Sheraton?

I am concered if we do not arrive until 11 AM that all the loungers will be full and pool crowded.

Kim - Thanks so much!!

Btw, the "beds" look absolutely comfy!!!

Are they hard to come by?

They were all available when we got there...we docked at 8:00 am.

We're going to have a long day in Nassau and this looks promising, can you tell me if you can come & go?

Thanks for the review & pictures!!

Yes you can come and go. Another family went and shopped, then came back.

dst,

I know you have not gone to BCH yet, but looking at the review and having been to Sheraton what do you see as the difference. I am concerned we would never get through the $60 of food and drink. There are 5 adults and 1 teen.

It's $40 in food/drink and with the prices you have no problem using the money. We only had money left because DH didn't eat...he was too busy drinking Drinking Dark and Stormy's...lol

So you can walk to BCH, but it is much further to walk to Sheraton? is there a jetty that will drop at the Sheraton?

Yes you can walk...we did. It took less than 15 minutes and we took the long way...lol

I am concered if we do not arrive until 11 AM that all the loungers will be full and pool crowded.

You should be fine with an 11:00 arrival. It was after lunch it started getting busy and we were there during Spring Break with 5 ships in port (17,000+) people. The BCH seems to be a little secret gem...most people do Atlantis or the other AI resorts when choosing a resort for the day.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk HD.

For those wanting WiFi service the BCH offers it for FREE! You just go to the Reception Desk and they will give you paper with the instructions on how to log on and passwords. It was great being able to send a quick email back home.

Being the first ship to arrive, we were the first to arrive at the Hotel! Any lounger, any where...it was great!

Upon our arrival outside, we were greeted by a very nice server. He asked for certificates we received from the Reception Desk and when we needed anything to always come to him. He then instructed us to go over and get our towels. The towel station does require you to leave one piece of ID with them which you receive back when you return the towels.

Side note: One time we went to get a drink on our own and he came over and reminded us to always get him and he bring us our drinks. I'm thinking perhaps "tipping" was the reasoning but whatever, tell me to sit and have someone serve me...no problem!

8606989041_9cc320ff78_b.jpg

It was a little chilly and breezy at first. DD (10) enjoyed the pool most of the early morning as she found the ocean a bit chilly. Once the wind died down and the sun started throwing it's glorious heat it was GREAT!

DM & DF showed up around 11:00. I was rather surprised they found their way..hehe! We then headed to the reception desk where they received their bracelets and I received my shopping money back from DM ...lol

A few ships started rolling in...it was really neat watching them come in and turn on a dime for a ship that size.

8607016363_ae3af48af0_b.jpg

DD's were swimming when the Epic rolled in!

8608102126_fccf8dcc12_b.jpg

We were getting really hungry so we thought we'd order lunch. This was around 11:15.

8609112721_f36b59248b_b.jpg

Let me tell you...their burgers are MASSIVE!!!

The food was very good, the fries were delish!! For our party of 8 we were told we had $280.00 to spend on food/drinks. In all honesty we didn't spend it all. Each time you order anything a 15% gratuity is also added. I actually saved our receipt:

6 @ 12.00 = 60 Dark & Stormy (Rum Drinks)

1 Hotel Nacional Drink = 14.00

1 Bud = 7.00

1 Daiquiri = 12.00

5 Beef Burgers = 75.00

1 Jerk Wrap = 16.00

1 Club Sandwich = 15.00

Food = 113.50

Liquor = 86.00

Beer = 7.00

15% Gratuity = 30.97

Total = 237.47

Anything that's left unspent on your account they keep and goes to more tips. So we left an additional $43.00

8609102749_b2991dc631_b.jpg

I told DM once she got a drink in her and let the sunshine do it's magic, she'd feel much better!

8606987115_06e4dc84be_b.jpg

We left the Hotel around 2:30 as we wanted to do some shopping on the way back. We stopped at the Straw Market (which was a ZOO) and didn't stay long. We did find a nice shop pretty much across from the Pier. We picked up a few souvenirs and made our way back to the ship.

Up Next: Final thoughts and pics

hi, I'm a little confused about the 280.00 dollars you had to spend. Is that included with the $60.00 or did you have to pay additional.

hi, I'm a little confused about the 280.00 dollars you had to spend. Is that included with the $60.00 or did you have to pay additional.

RIGUY40 - IT'S INCLUDED!

You pay $60.00 and get back Food/Beverage Voucher for $40.00...

"Our Nassau Hilton Day Pass provides you with pool and beach access with the use of towels for a day at the beach, as well as the use of Kayaks and Floats. The price is $60.00 USD per adult & $30.00 USD for children, ages 12 - 6 (children 5 & under are free). Adults receive a voucher for $40.00 to enjoy food and drinks at the Patio Bar & Grill & children receive a $15.00 voucher towards food and drinks. "

RIGUY40 - IT'S INCLUDED!

You pay $60.00 and get back Food/Beverage Voucher for $40.00...

"Our Nassau Hilton Day Pass provides you with pool and beach access with the use of towels for a day at the beach, as well as the use of Kayaks and Floats. The price is $60.00 USD per adult & $30.00 USD for children, ages 12 - 6 (children 5 & under are free). Adults receive a voucher for $40.00 to enjoy food and drinks at the Patio Bar & Grill & children receive a $15.00 voucher towards food and drinks. "

Thank you.

dst,

The Sheraton has a much bigger pool area, a wandering river (type pool) and a waterfall you can stand under. There are also a few water toys and the Ocean is right there.....

The service at the bar (with swim up bar) has always been wonderful. The food is good and often they will have a local band playing or at least a DJ

BCH - looks likes it is much more aid back - I am not saying Sheraton is a party spot but looks less of things to do.

We are trying BCH this trip only to try something different; we send BCH an email and they responded back very quickly. I hope we like it as much as we have enjoyed the Sheraton

Let me know if you have any other questions; I think you are in good hands either way

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the info, this will help us decide between Sheraton and BCH. Does anyone recall if they had conch on the menu? We love the little place right across the street (can't remember the name) but wouldn't want to pay there with all the food $$ at BCH.

This was a helpful review : )

Is there any way you can repost the pic of the menu?

You indicated the walk was not bad. I am cruising solo. Would you feel comfortable make the trip from the cruise ship to the Hilton by yourself? Other than looking out for crazy drivers you stated you were not hassled to much.

Just a point of clarification needed. You said the Dark & Stormy drinks were 12 each. Or were they 10 each?

6 times 12 = 72 not 60, so something isn't right here.

Like Dark and Stormy drinks so would like to know for reference when going to Nassau in future the real price.

This was a helpful review : )

Is there any way you can repost the pic of the menu?

You indicated the walk was not bad. I am cruising solo. Would you feel comfortable make the trip from the cruise ship to the Hilton by yourself? Other than looking out for crazy drivers you stated you were not hassled to much.

Oh yes. You just walk to the end of the pier, take a right and its about two blocks down. At Senior Frogs you walk down the street on the left that will take you around to the front entrance to the Hilton. Its very close. :)

Oh yes. You just walk to the end of the pier, take a right and its about two blocks down. At Senior Frogs you walk down the street on the left that will take you around to the front entrance to the Hilton. Its very close. :)

Archived