British Colonial Hilton Review ~with pics~

RainbowsMist

Thought I would do a little review of our recent day at BCH.

Pre planning :

We chose to spend our day at BCH because with 5 ships in port, (17,000+ people) we really wanted to "get away" from the crowds. There were 8 of us (7 adults, 1 child) and we reserved though Island Marketing. Cost was $60 pp (age 12 & over) and $30 (children 6-12 yrs). Deposit at time of booking was $20 pp.

We sailed on the Carnival Breeze during Spring Break, arriving in Nassau Friday March 15th. We were the first ship to arrive.

8607026895_93e81933c6_b.jpg

As we were getting ready to head to the Hotel, DM informed me she wasn't feeling well (she had come down with a cold and didn't sleep well the night before) and she didn't know if she would be joining us. She and DF then said they would meet us around 11:00 at the Hotel.

DH, myself and the kids then made our way to the Hotel. It was a short 10-15 minute walk from the ship. We had no problems with locals..but do be careful of the cars. We were far warned by cruise staff to always be watching for cars as they tend to drive a bit crazy in Nassau.

8607019001_a4d2b60e24_b.jpg

When we arrived at the reception desk (8:30 am) I gave her my reservation and explained there were 2 people from our party that would later be joining us. She informed me that we would still need to pay for them before we could get our bracelets and when they show up to come back to the reception desk and DM and DF would then be given their bracelets.

She then asked for the credit card we booked with to be added to our account for a deposit should we go over our purchased. Here's where I started to panic. I didn't have the CC on me, or any CC for that matter (we left everything on the ship). We brought enough cash to pay off the rest of the booking and a bit for shopping afterwards (and ID of course). The lady then said she would accept an additional $50 cash and we would get it back at check in. So we then pooled our shopping money to pay the remainder of DM and DF's balance as well as the $50 deposit. (lesson learned here....always take CC for back up)

We then received our bracelets and made our way outside:

8607011537_1c504405d1_b.jpg

8607014051_6a0dd40d53_b.jpg

8608122838_dc68f7cba7_b.jpg

8607012629_7666917e10_b.jpg

Up Next: Food, WiFi, The Beach

For those wanting WiFi service the BCH offers it for FREE! You just go to the Reception Desk and they will give you paper with the instructions on how to log on and passwords. It was great being able to send a quick email back home.

Being the first ship to arrive, we were the first to arrive at the Hotel! Any lounger, any where...it was great!

Upon our arrival outside, we were greeted by a very nice server. He asked for certificates we received from the Reception Desk and when we needed anything to always come to him. He then instructed us to go over and get our towels. The towel station does require you to leave one piece of ID with them which you receive back when you return the towels.

Side note: One time we went to get a drink on our own and he came over and reminded us to always get him and he bring us our drinks. I'm thinking perhaps "tipping" was the reasoning but whatever, tell me to sit and have someone serve me...no problem!

8606989041_9cc320ff78_b.jpg

It was a little chilly and breezy at first. DD (10) enjoyed the pool most of the early morning as she found the ocean a bit chilly. Once the wind died down and the sun started throwing it's glorious heat it was GREAT!

DM & DF showed up around 11:00. I was rather surprised they found their way..hehe! We then headed to the reception desk where they received their bracelets and I received my shopping money back from DM ...lol

A few ships started rolling in...it was really neat watching them come in and turn on a dime for a ship that size.

8607016363_ae3af48af0_b.jpg

DD's were swimming when the Epic rolled in!

8608102126_fccf8dcc12_b.jpg

We were getting really hungry so we thought we'd order lunch. This was around 11:15.

8609112721_f36b59248b_b.jpg

Let me tell you...their burgers are MASSIVE!!!

The food was very good, the fries were delish!! For our party of 8 we were told we had $280.00 to spend on food/drinks. In all honesty we didn't spend it all. Each time you order anything a 15% gratuity is also added. I actually saved our receipt:

6 @ 12.00 = 60 Dark & Stormy (Rum Drinks)

1 Hotel Nacional Drink = 14.00

1 Bud = 7.00

1 Daiquiri = 12.00

5 Beef Burgers = 75.00

1 Jerk Wrap = 16.00

1 Club Sandwich = 15.00

Food = 113.50

Liquor = 86.00

Beer = 7.00

15% Gratuity = 30.97

Total = 237.47

Anything that's left unspent on your account they keep and goes to more tips. So we left an additional $43.00

8609102749_b2991dc631_b.jpg

I told DM once she got a drink in her and let the sunshine do it's magic, she'd feel much better!

8606987115_06e4dc84be_b.jpg

We left the Hotel around 2:30 as we wanted to do some shopping on the way back. We stopped at the Straw Market (which was a ZOO) and didn't stay long. We did find a nice shop pretty much across from the Pier. We picked up a few souvenirs and made our way back to the ship.

Up Next: Final thoughts and pics

Final thoughts on our day at BCH...we LOVED it!! It was exactly what we were looking for and what we envisioned when we booked. We pretty much had the place to ourselves until about noon. When we were leaving around 2:30 it was getting busier.

I definitely would recommend this to anyone looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing, down time day. If you are looking for a party atmosphere this is not the place for you.

Some final pictures of our day in Nassau...

8610339554_7c6b34a4c5_b.jpg

8608063990_1a8229ed61_b.jpg

8608073840_26edc2a999_b.jpg

8608065346_68fbedd94d_b.jpg

Great review - thank you for sharing, we have been to Nassau many times and have always gone to the Sheraton - we decided to try something different this time and are heading to BCH :) Now I am very excited

Thanks for the review. Did you notice if there is a company that has excursions out of the Hilton? My nieces want to go on a snorkel trip and I thought I read about a company that goes from the Hilton.

the company that works out of the Hilton is www.blueholewatersports.com

They are a terrific outfit. They are a small company and book up quickly.

Don't wait until you arrive.

brwnIgir1 - Blue Hole Watersports does snorkeling from the pier at the Hilton. http://www.blueholewatersports.com/ I went with them a couple weeks ago and would definitely recommend them. Great trip! They only take out a small number of people at a time, so I'd recommend e-mailing them and booking ahead of time. You pay in cash at the time of trip, but they will put you down and reserve the spots after e-mailing them.

Thank you for the review and the pictures! We were thinking of just staying on the ship for our Nassau day, but this place looks really nice.

Was there a nice restroom nearby or did you have to go back inside the hotel?

Also is it necessary to book through Island Marketing or can you just reserve by calling the hotel? Good/bad either option? Do you have a link to Island Marketing?

Thanks!!

Thank you for the review and the pictures! We were thinking of just staying on the ship for our Nassau day, but this place looks really nice.

Was there a nice restroom nearby or did you have to go back inside the hotel?

Also is it necessary to book through Island Marketing or can you just reserve by calling the hotel? Good/bad either option? Do you have a link to Island Marketing?

Thanks!!

https://www.bahamascruiseexcursions.com/HiltonSecure.htm

Great review! We were just there as well and it was great! So relaxing!

Cheryl- They have a bathroom that is by the pool area outside so you do not have to keep going into the hotel. It was all very convenient- beach, pool, food, bathroom all very close.

Great review! We were just there as well and it was great! So relaxing!

Cheryl- They have a bathroom that is by the pool area outside so you do not have to keep going into the hotel. It was all very convenient- beach, pool, food, bathroom all very close.

Thanks! Hubby just vetoed the idea so I guess we are staying on the ship....but I'll keep this in mind in case he changes his mind.

Thanks for the review! Can you believe this will be our FIRST trip to Nassau?!!?

Anyway, we were supposed to go to Atlantis many years ago for our first cruise but it was cancelled. Since then prices have skyrocketed, even getting a room at the Comfort Suites isn't the cost-effective.

I am travelling with DH and DD 16, as well as my elderly parents. I want them to enjoy the sun and sand but don't want to take a taxi (Sheraton) or spend a fortune (Atlantis).

This sounds perfect. My Dad will be in a manual wheelchair and would love to just be able to wheel him over to the BCH. Do you think we will be able to make it over there, are there sidewalks without having to worry about going into the street??

THANKS!

Now seriously think I will cancel my Sheraton reservation and go here instead. Last year got a Sheraton day room, which we loved, but this just seems much more convenient.

Love the review, but can't see any photos :confused:

Do they show for everyone else?

Thx

THANKS!

Now seriously think I will cancel my Sheraton reservation and go here instead. Last year got a Sheraton day room, which we loved, but this just seems much more convenient.

Love the review, but can't see any photos :confused:

Do they show for everyone else?

Thx

I have no idea what's going on with the pics...I uploaded them to Flickr but they are ALL GONE and now I can't go in and edit my review because it's past the time frame..... :(

I may just re add the pics on their own once I figure out this Flickr thing. This is all new to me....lol

Edited: Just started re-loading them and I see they are now showing again on the review. I have no idea what's going on...haha!

Archived