My "not so pleasant" week on the Oasis

Well, after saving an entire year (we are both now retired) we finally made it onto the grandest ship (in my opinion, anyway) in the world, the Oasis, and it turned out to be the worst vacation I have ever had.

Our first full day on board was all about exploring the ship and making plans. On Sunday evening, I started to get a headache and felt a bit off balance. Now, we have been on many cruises over the years and only experienced seasickness only twice when we hit very rough waters, and this did not feel like seasickness at all. Oh, well, I just called it an early evening and figured a nice hot shower and a good night of sleep is just what I needed, after all, there was so much to see and do and that wasn't including the ports.

Monday morning was greeted with a brain-splintering headache and dizziness that I couldn't tell if it was me or the ship rocking - turns out it wasn't the ship!

So, Monday was a total loss for me as I spent the entire day and night in bed with the drapes pulled and a compress on my head. My husband had his dinner on the balcony alone - poor guy - at least he could eat.

Tuesday dawned and was a repeat of Monday - Hubby insisted that I go to medical and I did not put up an argument - that was how lousy I felt. He actually had to hold on to me on the way down so I wouldn't topple over. I guess some of the guests that witnessed this journey thought I had been drinking around the clock, must have been comical.

Turns out that I had an incredible turn of luck with a Sinus infection that had spread into the middle ear. I was given medication to help and lucky for me I remembered to bring my strong pain killers (I am prone to migraines). The only sights I got to see until Thursday evening was our stateroom and the view of the ocean from the bed. I think I slept for two days and don't really remember the room steward being in to clean up. I do slightly remember having a conversation with her Thursday morning and she was very, very kind to me. Hubby said that she was bringing ice in a bucket for cold compresses in the morning and evening.

By Thursday night, The pain and pressure had subsided to "manageable" status and the dizziness was only slight and I was actually getting a bit hungry. Hubby ordered in a light meal for me and I finally got to enjoy the balcony and fresh ocean air - what a treat that was - I felt refreshed and spent the entire evening sitting out there.

Friday was my first day out of the room and it felt wonderful. I was still a little off center but I did get to finally enjoy day in Central Park and on the Boardwalk AND the one thing I was dying to try - one of the cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard - well, ok, I ended up with two (one for a snack later on)

When we got back to our room later that day, there was a message on the phone requesting me to stop by the guest relations desk. They gave me certificate for us to have dinner that night in any of the "pay" venues. I can only assume that our room steward or one of the medical staff mentioned my miserable condition throughout the week to someone in management. We thought that was a very thoughtful gesture on their part to allow me to have one night of enjoyment before returning to Florida.

We hope to be able to sail on this beautiful ship again in a year, hopefully, the next voyage will be a bit more fun for me.

Central Park and Boardwalk are the gems of this ship and the staff that we encountered were wonderful and attentive by going beyond what was expected of them.

Looking forward to next year already

I feel for you I used to suffer from severe sinus infections the ones that kept you up at night. Man it was hard flying. That is until I talked with my Doctor who had natural medicine background and suggested to drink black coffee and use Simply Saline spray. I was on Sudafed,Allegra you name it I tried it and it did not work.

Let me tell you the black coffee and saline spray works the wonders and the spray is natural and not habit forming. My allergies have been kept at bay because taking an antihistamine can actually block the healing powers as my doctor told me. He said go outside and take a teaspoon of local honey.

The sea is good for those who suffer from hay fever too.

On your next cruise drink black coffee in the days before the cruise and use the saline spray and continue the regime on the cruise. It helped when I had a cold I was not as stuffed up.

Ginger Tea and fresh ginger, wasabi or horseraddish helps as well. If your having sinus issues go to the medical center and ask them to contact the dining room for some horseraddish or wasabi and man you will be crying tears and it will open your ears up too.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your plight. I too have to say, it was better it manifested itself on a cruise ship than on an airplane. That would probably have been excruciating!

I applaud you for having such a positive outlook on the whole experience. I hope your next go around on board will so much better!

And kudos to RCCL for offering you the dinner -- they too were probably happy it wasn't noro!

Ann

Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your plight. I too have to say, it was better it manifested itself on a cruise ship than on an airplane. That would probably have been excruciating!

I applaud you for having such a positive outlook on the whole experience. I hope your next go around on board will so much better!

And kudos to RCCL for offering you the dinner -- they too were probably happy it wasn't noro!

Ann

As a sufferer of severe sinus infections I was so sorry to read this. I really think sinus pain can sometimes be up there with the worst type of pain you can suffer. I just want to congratulate you on your positive outlook and wish you every good fortune. :)

Well, after saving an entire year (we are both now retired) we finally made it onto the grandest ship (in my opinion, anyway) in the world, the Oasis, and it turned out to be the worst vacation I have ever had.

Our first full day on board was all about exploring the ship and making plans. On Sunday evening, I started to get a headache and felt a bit off balance. Now, we have been on many cruises over the years and only experienced seasickness only twice when we hit very rough waters, and this did not feel like seasickness at all. Oh, well, I just called it an early evening and figured a nice hot shower and a good night of sleep is just what I needed, after all, there was so much to see and do and that wasn't including the ports.

Monday morning was greeted with a brain-splintering headache and dizziness that I couldn't tell if it was me or the ship rocking - turns out it wasn't the ship!

So, Monday was a total loss for me as I spent the entire day and night in bed with the drapes pulled and a compress on my head. My husband had his dinner on the balcony alone - poor guy - at least he could eat.

Tuesday dawned and was a repeat of Monday - Hubby insisted that I go to medical and I did not put up an argument - that was how lousy I felt. He actually had to hold on to me on the way down so I wouldn't topple over. I guess some of the guests that witnessed this journey thought I had been drinking around the clock, must have been comical.

Turns out that I had an incredible turn of luck with a Sinus infection that had spread into the middle ear. I was given medication to help and lucky for me I remembered to bring my strong pain killers (I am prone to migraines). The only sights I got to see until Thursday evening was our stateroom and the view of the ocean from the bed. I think I slept for two days and don't really remember the room steward being in to clean up. I do slightly remember having a conversation with her Thursday morning and she was very, very kind to me. Hubby said that she was bringing ice in a bucket for cold compresses in the morning and evening.

By Thursday night, The pain and pressure had subsided to "manageable" status and the dizziness was only slight and I was actually getting a bit hungry. Hubby ordered in a light meal for me and I finally got to enjoy the balcony and fresh ocean air - what a treat that was - I felt refreshed and spent the entire evening sitting out there.

Friday was my first day out of the room and it felt wonderful. I was still a little off center but I did get to finally enjoy day in Central Park and on the Boardwalk AND the one thing I was dying to try - one of the cupcakes from the Cupcake Cupboard - well, ok, I ended up with two (one for a snack later on)

When we got back to our room later that day, there was a message on the phone requesting me to stop by the guest relations desk. They gave me certificate for us to have dinner that night in any of the "pay" venues. I can only assume that our room steward or one of the medical staff mentioned my miserable condition throughout the week to someone in management. We thought that was a very thoughtful gesture on their part to allow me to have one night of enjoyment before returning to Florida.

We hope to be able to sail on this beautiful ship again in a year, hopefully, the next voyage will be a bit more fun for me.

Central Park and Boardwalk are the gems of this ship and the staff that we encountered were wonderful and attentive by going beyond what was expected of them.

Looking forward to next year already

Glad that you are feeling better now. That must have been rough on you and how awful that it had to happen while you were on vacation. Nice of Royal to give you a dinner certificate.

What a shame, here is crossing our fingers that your next cruise goes much better.

I have not been sick on a cruise, but I recall my first time flying - my ears closed at take off on our way to the Bahamas and did not reopen or stop hurting until I landed back home a week later. :(

As somone who suffers from both sinus infections and migraines - I feel your pain! So sorry it hit you while on vacation.

Any chance of recooping funds via insurance?

Regards,

Mary

I don't think so. We do buy the coverage but we did board the ship and my husband did get to enjoy the shows.

I feel for you I used to suffer from severe sinus infections the ones that kept you up at night. Man it was hard flying. That is until I talked with my Doctor who had natural medicine background and suggested to drink black coffee and use Simply Saline spray. I was on Sudafed,Allegra you name it I tried it and it did not work.

Let me tell you the black coffee and saline spray works the wonders and the spray is natural and not habit forming. My allergies have been kept at bay because taking an antihistamine can actually block the healing powers as my doctor told me. He said go outside and take a teaspoon of local honey.

The sea is good for those who suffer from hay fever too.

On your next cruise drink black coffee in the days before the cruise and use the saline spray and continue the regime on the cruise. It helped when I had a cold I was not as stuffed up.

Ginger Tea and fresh ginger, wasabi or horseraddish helps as well. If your having sinus issues go to the medical center and ask them to contact the dining room for some horseraddish or wasabi and man you will be crying tears and it will open your ears up too.

Thanks much for the tip. I do use the Simply Saline but I never heard of the black coffee remedy. How does the black coffee fit it and how much do I need to drink (decaf too)

I don't think so. We do buy the coverage but we did board the ship and my husband did get to enjoy the shows.

I would check with your provider. Many policies will consider being so ill that you stay in your stateroom to be "trip interruption" and will compensate for those days. If a minor is involved, they will also include an adult who stays with the child. It may be limited to an actual "quarantine" by the medical staff, but it is worth asking!

I'm sorry to hear about your sickness, and I'm really glad to hear it wasn't about the Ship being at fault! The room stewart really kept up with things, nice to know they not only came in to clean for you while you were ill, but relayed that message also.

I recall my first cruise having horrible headaches and having a runny nose most of the trip, only feeling good when on the beach excursions. Sitting in the theater was the worst, everytime the ship motioned downward, I felt it in my head. I too ended up having a full sinus infection when I returned home, but at least I was able to manage while onboard. Hopefully you still enjoyed being away from home!

How awful! There is nothing worse, not only not being in your own comfy bed, but "wasting" vacation time and dollars! I'm so sorry!

My DD recently had a 24 hour Noro virus during a short 2 day trip to WDW:( Luckily, I was able to spend a little extra money and save a day of her ticket by making it never expire. DH works in Fl several times a year and has promised to take her back during her break next Jan. The best cure for this is to book another cruise, I'm certain of that!;)

Archived