Interesting Article

Cruzin Terri

Having read about this Hagen guy I`m all the more glad that we`re booked with Viking. Its great to hear about someone who is really in charge (owns 95% of the business) and has put his money where his mouth is. I suppose a key aspect not considered by posters so far is that he`s most likely not a native English speaker. I`m sure his English is excellent but the subtle nuances may well be missing. Also people from Northern Europe (and I count myself as one) tend to be more direct in what they say. He calls a spade a spade and you know exactly where you are with him it would seem. Fine by me. I`d much prefer that to a lot of the flowery talking up of alternative products.

Amen to your post nippy! The nuance of English is lost on many non-native speakers and I'm sure that a CEO wouldn't intentionally insult sensitive English speaking potential customers.

As far as Viking's policy of "nickel and diming", I tend to think of it as giving me the choice as to how I want to spend my money. If I would rather explore a town on my own, I'm not obligated to pay for the optional tour. If I really value the attentiveness and service I'm getting from shipboard personnel, I'm more than happy to convey it to them with a gratuity (as I did to our housekeeper, our waiter, to the bartender, to the piano player, as well as gladly pay the suggested gratuity so all the hardworking crew would be suitably rewarded for their great serivice) rather than shrug my shoulders to them and say "Sorry bro, I already pre-paid your tip".

This topic is getting old, people have their preferences and are free to cruise with the company that fits their personal tastes. The more companies vying for our travel dollars will ultimately mean more choices and better experiences for everyone. As far as the whining and moaning I've seen here because a non native English speaker may have said something that is outside their PC world, I just shake my head...

I read recently that of 50K cabins available for 2013 they have approximately 500 left to sell. Amazing performance.

I'm sorry, that's impossible. Their ships average less than 200 cabins, so you're telling me they have over 250 ships? They definitely do not have 50K cabins.

Given the strength of the Aussie Dollar I doubt there are special deals for Aussies. Please check out this Viking site ...

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com.au/rivercruises/europe-south-france-rhone-2014/datesprices.aspx

Ok, I see now. It is twice as much as here in States.

What I'd suggest to do: book with any US travel agent, provide a bogus US address to Viking and do your own air. Viking always mails travel docs to an agent not a cruiser. So in this case as soon as your TA receives them they will mail them to Australia. Enjoy your savings. :)

Btw, many of my friends do the same but they usually use Germany as a residence country: saves them even more ...

Huffy, you state this topic is "getting old". Why do you care where/what other CC members post? If you are no longer interested in this thread you can simply ignore and move on.

Amen to your post nippy! The nuance of English is lost on many non-native speakers and I'm sure that a CEO wouldn't intentionally insult sensitive English speaking potential customers.

As far as Viking's policy of "nickel and diming", I tend to think of it as giving me the choice as to how I want to spend my money. If I would rather explore a town on my own, I'm not obligated to pay for the optional tour. If I really value the attentiveness and service I'm getting from shipboard personnel, I'm more than happy to convey it to them with a gratuity (as I did to our housekeeper, our waiter, to the bartender, to the piano player, as well as gladly pay the suggested gratuity so all the hardworking crew would be suitably rewarded for their great serivice) rather than shrug my shoulders to them and say "Sorry bro, I already pre-paid your tip".

This topic is getting old, people have their preferences and are free to cruise with the company that fits their personal tastes. The more companies vying for our travel dollars will ultimately mean more choices and better experiences for everyone. As far as the whining and moaning I've seen here because a non native English speaker may have said something that is outside their PC world, I just shake my head...

I'm sorry, that's impossible. Their ships average less than 200 cabins, so you're telling me they have over 250 ships? They definitely do not have 50K cabins.

The 50k cabins is for the whole cruising season which usually is from March until December or approx 44 weeks. This is about 1200 cabins per week or 16 ships at 80 cabins (140 passengers) a ship. I looked at the Viking website and it lists 56 ships worldwide. My math might not be totally correct but it is close.

As a matter of interest the comparative prices between Tauck and Viking are even more marked here in the UK, because Viking include travel to and from, while Tauck don't, even though they charge more than twice the price.

I can't be bothered to do it properly and include gratuities etc but Viking certainly seems the better deal.

We are on the 'Cities of Light' cruise and I see from Viking's website that there is only one cabin in October and a couple in November left. They must be doing something right.

You beat me to the punch. I was just sitting here comparing two cruises to see the difference. Tauck is far from 2-3 times more.

Tauck is a few hundred more, but you get so much more. No one is telling you not to go with Viking, but when you count in all the extras you get, the price will be the same as Tauck, if not more, and you will get less.

Terri

Terri. Is the riverboat in your signature from Uniworld.

Having read about this Hagen guy I`m all the more glad that we`re booked with Viking. Its great to hear about someone who is really in charge (owns 95% of the business) and has put his money where his mouth is. I suppose a key aspect not considered by posters so far is that he`s most likely not a native English speaker. I`m sure his English is excellent but the subtle nuances may well be missing. Also people from Northern Europe (and I count myself as one) tend to be more direct in what they say. He calls a spade a spade and you know exactly where you are with him it would seem. Fine by me. I`d much prefer that to a lot of the flowery talking up of alternative products.

I agree with both of you.

We all have options and that's what makes the world go around. I am not second guessing my choice nor am I judging those that chose a different company.

The 50k cabins is for the whole cruising season which usually is from March until December or approx 44 weeks. This is about 1200 cabins per week or 16 ships at 80 cabins (140 passengers) a ship. I looked at the Viking website and it lists 56 ships worldwide. My math might not be totally correct but it is close.

Gotcha, sorry. I think Viking's pricing strategy of eliminating some of the frills that other cruise lines focus on to deliver a lower price point to customers is working.

Let me quote from the article:

"They speak English. They are 55-plus." (...) He paused. "We target people like me." (...) He's equally clear about people he is not interested in. (...) We market to North Americans, Brits, Australians. Nothing else. No Turks, no Brazilians. They may sneak on a person from Hong Kong or whatever, but the language is English, and it's the ambience of these types of people [that we strive for]."

This is just false. On my first tour for Viking this season (Prestige around 20th of March) was one group of 30-40 chinese from Canada who barely spoke any english and had their own guide with them. I think the only companies that do not take whole groups are Grand Circle and Vantage - as they do not work with Travel Agents and only target the US market. Over the years I just saw one Aussie on a GCT ship - and he was living in the US.

Archived