Why would anyone use the RCCL Visa Card?

I love my discover card...no fee card, no fee for first late payment, can use your cash back for Amazon purchases. You can shop through discover at 100's of different retailers and receive an additional5-20% cash back. As poster above mentioned each quarter they run a special where you get 5% back on certain purchases: might be groceries, gas, travel, etc. You can buy gift cards at discounted rates...for instance I just bought $50 gift cards for chili's and pan era bread for $40 each...many others available too. enough raving you'll think I work for them!

Discover is a good card....but they have almost no international acceptance. You won't be able to use it in Europe, Asia or many other countries.

So glad I don't have your accountant! ;)

I have credit cards for my business that racks up points really quickly, so instead of using the cash back as an account credit or check, I get gift cards instead, no paper trail :rolleyes:

The RCCL Visa card isn't a great deal.

2% on RCCL purchases and $100 signup bonus redeemable in OBC ... meh.

You can find cards that pay 2% on all travel purchases and have $200+ signup bonus redeemable in cash.

Try thepointsguy.com for better offers.

Is the RCCL card the greatest, no! But my wife and I have one, use it for cruise bookings and other special redemptions, there will always be a better option out there but it nice to get rewards that go directly to our cruising, we know we always have a little surprise every time. Happy cruising everyone!

I'm not a fan of credit cards - I use a target visa, and that's it. Love that discount at Target!

Is there an annual fee for the RCI card? I've always been curious about whether or not its worth having, and from reading here, I'd say, not worth it to me.

I'm not a fan of credit cards - I use a target visa, and that's it. Love that discount at Target!

Is there an annual fee for the RCI card? I've always been curious about whether or not its worth having, and from reading here, I'd say, not worth it to me.

We don't use any store cc's. The discount from Target is okay ... but only if you pay the balance every month.

The RC card is good IF you ONLY use it for RCCL purchases and items where you only would get 1% cash back on another card.

Then NEVER use the card for onboard credit, only for free cruises (up to $2500 for 125K points) or companion fares (up to $1500 for 75K points). This assumes you can accumulate the required points before they expire.

With this strategy you will get better than 2% value back.

Nope, no annual fee. :)

Wouldn't it make more sense to use other cards that offer 1% - 5% CASH back as opposed to getting 1% back in RCCL OBC dollars? Why limit myself to earning cash back only for RCCL when I can earn the same cash back (or more in some cases) as actual cash?

Some might argue that it would be better to not even use a credit card...use the cash you already know you have.

[quote name='hazeleyez3']Some might argue that it would be better to not even use a credit card...use the cash you already know you have.[/quote]

But if you pay it off every month it's a moot point. And you get OBC with RCI Visa points. :)

[quote name='hazeleyez3']Some might argue that it would be better to not even use a credit card...use the cash you already know you have.[/quote]

[quote name='rednancy1']But if you pay it off every month it's a moot point. And you get OBC with RCI Visa points. :)[/quote]

hazeleyez - No doubt, but as rednancy pointed out, more or less, why not take advantage of points, cash back, etc. The key is to pay it off monthly.

Wonder why at least 2 posts are no longer here. Nothing wrong with them. Just ... gone? :confused:

[quote name='PattyG12']Why do people worry about what card I'm using to pay for MY cruise?[/quote]

I must have missed (or maybe they disappeared :confused:) the 'worried' posts. :confused:
The OP asking this question may make some shop around for a more 'giving' card, ... if they are using one.

[quote name='eel']The RC card is good IF you ONLY use it for RCCL purchases and items where you only would get 1% cash back on another card.

Then NEVER use the card for onboard credit, only for free cruises (up to $2500 for 125K points) or companion fares (up to $1500 for 75K points). This assumes you can accumulate the required points before they expire.

With this strategy you will get better than 2% value back.[/quote]
Thanks for this info.

If you are certain you will be cruising RCCL and will be racking up 125k points quickly then the card is a very good deal (up to 4% back).

Outside that it looks like a general 2% cashback on travel card is a better deal since you aren't locked in to a specific supplier and spending tier.

But the RCCL card is not a [B]bad[/B] deal, so if it makes someone happy, more power to them. :)

[quote name='rednancy1']But if you pay it off every month it's a moot point. And you get OBC with RCI Visa points. :)[/quote]

[quote name='WetToes']hazeleyez - No doubt, but as rednancy pointed out, more or less, why not take advantage of points, cash back, etc. The key is to pay it off monthly. [/quote]

That key part is, if you already have that money, not assume you'll have it. :) Surprise layoffs, especially these days, are not that uncommon.

[quote name='My2Kitties']My BofA RC Visa has the lowest interest rate of all my cards...and we always have OBC to spend everytime we cruise...

Other CC's for other purposes[/QUOTE]

We agree....and also miss the Celebrity card that was no longer in the BOA program.....

we use another card for out of country purchases--no foreign transaction fees and another for cash back..

.but it is nice to get that ship bd credit for just charging your cruise on their card!!

[quote name='hazeleyez3']That key part is,[B][SIZE=3] if you already have that money, not assume you'll have it.[/SIZE][/B] :) Surprise layoffs, especially these days, are not that uncommon.[/quote]

That is what we do and [U][B]never assume[/B][/U] we will have it next month. ;)

[quote name='johnbrian2']Wouldn't it make more sense to use other cards that offer 1% - 5% CASH back as opposed to getting 1% back in RCCL OBC dollars? Why limit myself to earning cash back only for RCCL when I can earn the same cash back (or more in some cases) as actual cash?[/quote]

We love that card, have no desire to have anything else. As a rule, we get way more than 1% bang for the buck. It depends on what you do with the points. So each to his own, we love the card and plan to keep it. Plus no annual fee and we always pay it off every month so no interest. So for us, it has saved us a ton of money on cruises since we have had it, and we will keep it until they stop having it. Only cc we own and we charge everything we possible can to build up those points.

Archived