Travel Purses

msdebbe

Just in case: the dimensions are 11.5" x 13.5" x 5.5". Yep, the black is pretty tasty, too. But, at least you can possibly see the bag, even if it's not the black one. Then, order it online. It came within 5 days.

At REI, they may not have that exact bag, but you can get an idea for how Sherpani makes them. They had another bag at REI that wasn't on the website - it was a pretty nice large satchel. Not good for everyday use, but good to use a a carryon/weekender.

I never heard of these bags until today but are they ever fun for traveling to and from a cruise. Might be too big to use in ports for some of us,,,,, but maybe not.

(I hope the photo I copied and pasted shows here).

"Barnstable" Cape Codder Bag

If photo doesn't show, here's a link:

http://www.classygirlswearpearls.com/2013/04/the-barnstable-cape-codder-bags.html

61rm5KYxIBL._SX385_.jpg

$3-4 on Amazon for 2.

No matter which purse or bag/backpack/tote I carry, I always use this method to secure the zippers. A pickpocket doesn't want to take the time to figure out how it's secured, he/she will move on to an easier target.

I also have a wallet that has a "D" hook on it, to which I tether it to the "D" hook inside of my bag. It can't fall or be grabbed easily, yet I have enough length to take it out and get what I need.

Kind of like this:

Roamer-leather.jpg

Thanks for posting about the gizmos in the first picture! I found some clearanced in a Target store the other day, along with plastic twisty things that hold folded cords. :cool: Love the wallet tip, too!

Those are great safety features but, of course, doesn't stop a thief from grabbing the whole handbag.

Don't wear on your shoulder if you are walking on the sidewalk within reach of someone riding by on motor scooter. Many handbags are grabbed that way. Wear it cross body.

I've been searching for a travel bag for our trip to Europe this summer, and couldn't quite figure out what to take. I found a nice Travelon bag, cross body, black with the clip for the zipper etc, but it isn't big enough to hold what I need it to hold, particularly a bottle of water, small umbrella for shade, and scarf/wrap for my shoulders in addition to the usual purse suspects (pared down of course for travel)

Imagine my delight after reading this thread and the one I think I started months ago, to find a perfect Kipling bag, blue, at a thrift store for $7.00 :D It's great! Big enough to hold what I need, love the pockets and the double zippered top, side zippered pockets for water bottles or umbrella or sunglasses, light and manageable, and in perfect condition.

I think I am going to forego the "security purse" search and just take the Kipling bag and most likely use a small carbiner clip from the hardware store to clip the two zippers shut on the top. I'll wear it cross body, with the zippers at the end that will be in front, with my hand over them while in transit or crowded places.

I also plan to have my DH carry most of the cash/credit cards/etc while we're touring, so I will carry only what I am not going to be devastated to lose if the pick pockets do end up getting me. :rolleyes:

I think I am going to forego the "security purse" search and just take the Kipling bag and most likely use a small carbiner clip from the hardware store to clip the two zippers shut on the top. I'll wear it cross body, with the zippers at the end that will be in front, with my hand over them while in transit or crowded places.

This is pretty much what I do too. (And I love the Kipling bags.)

I hope your DH will have some sort of money belt or pouch. Don't depend on the safety of carrying valuables in ANY sort of outside pocket. Front, back, or even cargo-buttoned pockets are all vulnerable and folks have reported having things stolen from them here in the CC boards.

This is pretty much what I do too. (And I love the Kipling bags.)

I hope your DH will have some sort of money belt or pouch. Don't depend on the safety of carrying valuables in ANY sort of outside pocket. Front, back, or even cargo-buttoned pockets are all vulnerable and folks have reported having things stolen from them here in the CC boards.

This is such an important point! Travelsmith has some great slacks and shirts that have hidden zippered pockets for men. (Maybe for women too?) My DH wears them when we travel and we feel much safer knowing that our passports and credit cards are hidden. He puts his wallet in his front pocket with a wide rubberband around it. It carries small amounts of cash and a low limit credit card.

7799_main?$product_add_image$

The website won't show the details of the hidden pocket. They want it to stay secret, but it works well and is not uncomfortable. http://www.travelsmith.com/wrinkle-resistant-traveler-s-twills-relaxed-fit-flat-front-comfortsizer-pants/men/pants/casual-pants/15628?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=24

Definitely a waist wallet or similar for passports, etc. He was reading on the US Embassy website about the pickpockets in Paris, and they also recommended a man carrying his wallet in a deep front pocket with a rubber band around it.

Are the thieves so adept that they can reach in and remove items from a wallet that is not secured with a rubber band? I would think they would just take the whole wallet, so I'm not sure how a rubber band helps :confused:

Back to the travel purses...the travelon bag I found is nice, and I do like the way the zipper on top clips shut, but what I don't get about these bags is the other zippered pocket on the front, that apparently looks to be the place they mean you to carry cards, passport, etc. (at least that is what the organization inside the pocket would indicate) yet it is NOT secured with a clip to lock it. Who carries important stuff in the front of the bag when it cannot be secured? Didn't make sense to me.

Definitely a waist wallet or similar for passports, etc. He was reading on the US Embassy website about the pickpockets in Paris, and they also recommended a man carrying his wallet in a deep front pocket with a rubber band around it.

Are the thieves so adept that they can reach in and remove items from a wallet that is not secured with a rubber band? I would think they would just take the whole wallet, so I'm not sure how a rubber band helps :confused:

Back to the travel purses...the travelon bag I found is nice, and I do like the way the zipper on top clips shut, but what I don't get about these bags is the other zippered pocket on the front, that apparently looks to be the place they mean you to carry cards, passport, etc. (at least that is what the organization inside the pocket would indicate) yet it is NOT secured with a clip to lock it. Who carries important stuff in the front of the bag when it cannot be secured? Didn't make sense to me.

I agree - sometimes the 'functionality' of the purse doesn't make sense - I saw a few of those travel purses with the 'outside' area not being very secure at all - looking like you're supposed to put your cards/$$ there???

The purse I found had a couple of outside pockets - where I keep sunglasses/tissues (no credit card slots anywhere) and the other two zippered main compartments of the purse both LOCK so common sense dictates that's where you would most likely put anything of value.....

I thought the point of the rubber band was to create friction and make it harder for a thief to slip the wallet out of a pocket.

I thought the point of the rubber band was to create friction and make it harder for a thief to slip the wallet out of a pocket.

Exactly right! The pickpocket wants the wallet to slide easily out of the pocket, but the rubber band causes a "grab" effect and the slight tug alerts the person. Not foolproof by any stretch of the imagination. The "hidden pocket" is secured with a zipper, so the p.p wouldn't even know it was there.

While we are on the safety topic, I got to thinking about the RFID chips. I have gotten one of the credit cards with one and I believe the new US passports have them (mine is 8 years old so I don't think mine has a chip). You can buy a special wallet that protects your information from being captured by a thief with a special machine, but I don't carry a wallet (prefer an organizer handbag). I thought I heard/read that you could wrap the card in aluminum foil and it would be prottected. Anyone know anything about this?

While we are on the safety topic, I got to thinking about the RFID chips. I have gotten one of the credit cards with one and I believe the new US passports have them (mine is 8 years old so I don't think mine has a chip). You can buy a special wallet that protects your information from being captured by a thief with a special machine, but I don't carry a wallet (prefer an organizer handbag). I thought I heard/read that you could wrap the card in aluminum foil and it would be prottected. Anyone know anything about this?

Passports that have an electronic chip are already protected by certain measures against skimmers, as you can read on the US Dept of State site:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_2788.html

And while it IS possible to skim the RFID information from some credit cards, the issuers are also beginning to use encryption and other methods to limit how feasible this is (and the person generally has to be VERY close to do it, unlike some of the "scare" info you may have read:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/identity/pickpocket.asp

If your card is a "chip and pin" card, they shouldn't be able to use it without the pin. At worst, you are not liable for fraudulent purchases on your card anyway, but it is a hassle to go through the process of reporting it when you're traveling.

We have traveled all over Europe and I always wore a small to small medium size shoulder bag in crossbody style. I only used a bag that zipped completely closed and kept a hand on the bag at all times while on the street/walking around. I am grateful I never had an unhappy handbag event. The pickpockets and quick grab gypsys and thieves seem to stay away from people who look aware of their surroundings and are not 'easy targets'.

My underline.

No one says what you have to put where in your purse. I would never put passport or credit cards in that small front pocket. That, to me, is where I put a lipstick, some tissues and maybe my reading glasses.

Anything of value or imporantance goes inside the secured main section.

JMO.....

My underline.

No one says what you have to put where in your purse. I would never put passport or credit cards in that small front pocket. That, to me, is where I put a lipstick, some tissues and maybe my reading glasses.

Anything of value or imporantance goes inside the secured main section.

JMO.....

Oh I would never do it either. But it's astonishing looking through the Magellans catalogue and in every purse that has the front "organizer" pocket, they show credit cards and a passport tucked in there. I can see how some people would think that their belongings were "secure" because they bought a security purse, and then if they followed the picture their very important belongings would be ripe for the picking!

Archived