cigarettes?

* If your anti smoking stop reading now and move on ;)

I was just sitting thinking. I have cruised several times but I am NOT at smoker. But my Boyfriend (BF) is. I have seen in the shops on the ship they have cigarettes.

Q. my question is can you purchase these for the cruise that you are on or do they work similar to the alcohol and if you bye it you get it your last night to take home?

BF is a two pack a day smoker so thats a lot of cigs to pack lol:eek: for a 8 day cruise it would be awesome if we could just get them on the ship.

Q. Are cigs any cheaper on the ship? How are the prices?

I was just sitting thinking. I have cruised several times but I am NOT at smoker. But my Boyfriend (BF) is. I have seen in the shops on the ship they have cigarettes.

Q. my question is can you purchase these for the cruise that you are on or do they work similar to the alcohol and if you bye it you get it your last night to take home?

BF is a two pack a day smoker so thats a lot of cigs to pack lol:eek: for a 8 day cruise it would be awesome if we could just get them on the ship.

yes they are MUCH cheaper on the boat , and yes you can purchase and take them with you to have for the cruise...

Cigs are cheaper on the ship. PallMall is about 15 per carton...I *think* Marlboro is around 25 per carton although they have a special of 5 cartons for around 120, so def. cheaper than on land.

You can take the cigs with you from the ships store. The cartons are about $30 each on most ships. On most of the islands they are somewhat cheaper but they might not be cigs that were manufactured in the US for export. The cigs on the ship are manufactured in the US.

The rule on bringing them back is you are allowed to bring back the duty free allowance only on cigs manufactured in the US. This rule is mostly ignored by CBP. The US duty on cigs is about a 11.00 a carton.

The duty free allowance is one carton per adult unless you stop at the Virgin Islands than it is 4-5 cartons per adult.

OP, if your bf smokes a favorite brand, tell him to buy them on the ship early in the cruise as some of the popular brands sell out quickly. ..... and yes, they will let you take them with you to your cabin.

:)

I am stopping in St. Thomas on my cruise next week. Do I understand correctly I could buy 4 cartons of cigarettes on the ship because of this stop?

Yes you can bring back 5 cartons duty free per adult if at least one carton comes from the Virgin Islands....

Yes, smokes are a lot cheaper on the ship. We usually always buy the max you can take with you. Even if you take more and have to pay the tax on them it is very minimal and still cheaper then buying on land.

We usually buy them and smoke them on the cruise and keep what we brought for home. We will have four adults so we usually get our limit for each adult and only 1 1/2 smoke. The half is me...usually only smoke on vacation then about 5 a day at home. You can buy a 5 carton box and if I remember right it was about half in the stores back home. I really don't want to quote you a price because I just can't recall. Foe some reason like $100 for 5 cartons sticks with me.

You can take the cigs with you from the ships store. The cartons are about $30 each on most ships. On most of the islands they are somewhat cheaper but they might not be cigs that were manufactured in the US for export. The cigs on the ship are manufactured in the US.

The rule on bringing them back is you are allowed to bring back the duty free allowance only on cigs manufactured in the US. This rule is mostly ignored by CBP. The US duty on cigs is about a 11.00 a carton.

The duty free allowance is one carton per adult unless you stop at the Virgin Islands than it is 4-5 cartons per adult.

St Thomas was a little cheaper but you can only take 5 back with you. I believe St Maartin only 2. As I said in my previous reply the tax you would have to pay is very minimal from what I'm told. Just a PITA having to go to customs and declare them to pay.

St Thomas was a little cheaper but you can only take 5 back with you. I believe St Maartin only 2. As I said in my previous reply the tax you would have to pay is very minimal from what I'm told. Just a PITA having to go to customs and declare them to pay.

I para phrased the CBP rule....

here it is you can read it yourself these are per person...

How many cigarettes can I bring back from a U.S. insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam)?

You may include 1,000 cigarettes within your $1,600 duty-free exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in an insular possession (U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or Guam). Only 200 cigarettes may have been acquired elsewhere. If you have more than 1,000 cigarettes, the remaining will be dutiable at a flat rate of 1.5% and subject to Internal Revenue Service taxes.

Traveler bringing tobacco products (cigarettes, cigars, bidis, etc.) to the U.S. for their personal use.

A traveler may include up to 100 cigars and 200 cigarettes in the $800 exemption from duty. U.S. residents on State Department-licensed travel to Cuba may not bring cigars or other goods back with them from their visit.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/traveler-bringing-tobacco-products-%28cigarettes,-cigars,-bidis%29-to-the-u.s.-for

tax rates

http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml

as I said these are not vigorously enforced...in my experience.

in order to get the exemption you must be out of the US 48 hours. cruises to no where for less than 48 hours don't meet these rules and the cruise line normally pays the duty for you...(again in my experience)

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Marlboro Menthol Gold 100's in St. Thomas for $28.50 a carton. I had previously bought two cartons on the ship. When DW and I went through customs on our return, the customs lady read our form, ask where we bought the cigarettes. I told her St. Thomas and she said "OK".

Just a word of warning. Last year, we did a 4 night cruise to Bahamas. I mistakenly thought allowance was 2 cartons per adult. We bought 4 and I listed them on my customs card. Agent stopped us and advised we were only allowed 1 carton each. I told him I would just pay the tax, and he said they don't allow that anymore. He said if they were purchased on board, we could try to go back on board (!) and return them, otherwise Customs just confiscates any overage. He let us through with a warning. Don't know if he was just cranky, but figured I'd put it out there.

I have a question. I am doing a B2B and will not be getting off between cruises but I am going to the virgin islands.

Can I declare the 1000 cigarettes one week and the next week declare more? Im doing a b2b out of san juan, so its not like my car will be parked there that i can put them in the trunk in between cruises.

How many can I bring back on a B2B?

Does anybody know if they sell Newport Lights ?

They had two kinds of newports on my last cruise.. 2 for $70!!! yikes, they were the most expensive kind in the stores.

have malboro's gone up? 5 pack was $124.

It used to be like $109 last year when I looked. I got off a ship earlier this month.

Yes and they are cheaper on the boat, by the way I am not anti-smoker , I am anti-Cancer.;)

Yes you can bring back 5 cartons duty free per adult if at least one carton comes from the Virgin Islands....

This is true. Print a copy of duty free allowance from Home land security wipe site and take it with you just in case their is a question at customs. This did happen to us and when I smoked I always carried it with my documents.

bia

Just a word of warning. Last year, we did a 4 night cruise to Bahamas. I mistakenly thought allowance was 2 cartons per adult. We bought 4 and I listed them on my customs card. Agent stopped us and advised we were only allowed 1 carton each. I told him I would just pay the tax, and he said they don't allow that anymore. He said if they were purchased on board, we could try to go back on board (!) and return them, otherwise Customs just confiscates any overage. He let us through with a warning. Don't know if he was just cranky, but figured I'd put it out there.

Same thing happened to us except that we had met with the customs official on the ship that morning to pay the duty tax on the extra liquor and the 1 extra carton of cigarettes and he got a call so he just signed the slip and said we would be ok. Well, someone with a little power decided he was incorrect and my brother found himself surrounded by 4 men all in his face over a carton of cigarettes! They told him they could confiscate and shred all of his cigarettes, they told him they could arrest him, it was very tense. He told them they could have them, he didn't care, just take them, that he did not know he was doing anything wrong since he had done what he was suppose to do and met with the duty officer and was told he was "good to go". We were later told by the porter that this happens alot in the Jax port. Needless to say, none of us will ever take more than a carton each off the ship for any reason!

Archived