If not Harv & Marv, then who?

fourgadawgs

I am looking for a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier combo in Juneau. I know everyone on these boards love H&M but I can't go $625 for our family of 4 and I know that doesn't even include the cost of stopping at the glacier. I see there are other outfits out there, I think I'd prefer a mid-size boat not as small as H&M but not as huge as some of the others. I'd like to do the whale watch first and then be dropped at the glacier so we can have some decent time there.

This is the last thing I have to lock down for our June sailing, thank you for the help!

:rolleyes:

We looked at H&Ms because everyone raved about them, but they don't take small children unless you book a private charter, so I investigated other options. We finally settled on Rum Runners Charters based on great reviews on Trip Advisor. The price for 4 on a private charter with them is $549. We are very excited about it! Whale watching isn't cheap, but this is our major excursion for the cruise.

just and fyi - but H&M do include a stop at the glacier on the way back .. I'm not sure how long the stop is as we will likely take the $8 bus back after spending a little time there ...

There are 9 other providers in Juneau listed on TripAdvisor and I think most run around the same costs but you should contact them all and see what works best for your family.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31020-Activities-c25-Juneau_Alaska.html

Good luck and have a great trip!

We looked at H&Ms because everyone raved about them, but they don't take small children unless you book a private charter, so I investigated other options. We finally settled on Rum Runners Charters based on great reviews on Trip Advisor. The price for 4 on a private charter with them is $549. We are very excited about it! Whale watching isn't cheap, but this is our major excursion for the cruise.

Ditto on this. We did H&M last time but there were 6 of us. Now that it is just the 4 of us and 2 are children, we are going with Rum Runner Charters. His price and reviews won us over.

Frankly this is the price range you are going to get. The operators are in a similar pricing mode. It is of benefit to have a drop off/pick up with Mendenhall as it saves you an hour in transit time.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises, and have been going out with them for years. They always have a naturalist on board plus have superb upper level 360 viewing, which is my priority.

Good chat here now its got me thinking... Maybe do a full day charter with it all included... I am glad so may people share ideas here...

Is it bad when the cost of your tours is almost as much as the cruise

stay low

Justin

Frankly this is the price range you are going to get. The operators are in a similar pricing mode. It is of benefit to have a drop off/pick up with Mendenhall as it saves you an hour in transit time.

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises, and have been going out with them for years. They always have a naturalist on board plus have superb upper level 360 viewing, which is my priority.

I'd have to second Budget Queen's recommendation. Have been out with both H&M and Orca Enterprises and for a family with children, I would go with Orca. They are wonderful and their naturalist was great as was the upper level viewing.

Sue

We did Orca in 2009 and H&M in 2012. I know people love H&M but our experience with Orca was much better. We booked H&Ms large boat for our family of 8 and I wasn't told that they "outsource" their bookings to Alaska Galore. I'm not sure what the issue was, but the captain didn't seem to want us there. The only thing better about H&M for us was the pickup at the ship and the 15 minute stop at Mendenhall.

Make sure you stop at Mendenhall. We saw a mama bear with two cubs in a tree by the salmon creek there and then walked to Nugget Falls. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We did stay longer and took the bus back. Enjoy your trip. I think we're going again this summer.

As always this arena is awesome, thank you. I am leaning toward Orca but I'm looking into Rum Runners as well. I did look back and I had emailed Orca in early March but never received a reply. So I tried them again tonight.

looking forward to 2014 and just started reviewing. Is there a private tour for 6 that will take us whale watching, to glacier, and maybe a local place for lunch and other attractions

Is it bad when the cost of your tours is almost as much as the cruise

When you book a cheaper cabin, it is very easy to have your excursions cost more than your cruise. My DD is going on an AK cruise this summer and they are going to be spending more on excursions (pp) than the cost of their cruise (pp). To many of us, Alaska is about getting into its wilderness, and that takes big bucks!!!

When you book a cheaper cabin, it is very easy to have your excursions cost more than your cruise. My DD is going on an AK cruise this summer and they are going to be spending more on excursions (pp) than the cost of their cruise (pp). To many of us, Alaska is about getting into its wilderness, and that takes big bucks!!!

I always pay more for my touring, which is my priority. Fortunately I don't have any "restrictions", and take any tours I please. My constant Alaska "reward".

In defense of the big boat tours, at least those done by Allen Marine (which I think the provider of all of them in Juneau), I find their ships comfortable and the viewing very good. Allen is a local vendor and every year does a shakedown cruise with locals which I always go on. The vessels are comfortable and the upper deck viewing, although not 360, will give you plenty of sightings.

I just hate crowds and screaming children, so I'd probably go mad, but if you're on a cruise, I'm going to guess that's not a problem for most people!

If the ship tour doesn't include a Mendenhall stop, you can always take a cab company's phone number with you, call one and not get on the return bus. I can't imagine the cab ride would be more than $20 because the distance is not that far, then $8 each for the return shuttle bus. Do the numbers and see if it's significantly cheaper for you.

We didn't do Harv and Marv because they don't take kids. So, we booked Orca Enterprises instead. I cannot say enough good things about Captain Larry and his crew. Larry doesn't speak much, but he knows those waters. He was the original Whale Watch tour in Juneau - before everyone else came in to capitalize on it.

The tour was fabulous - and we saw far more than just whales.

Incredibly professional, fun, informative, and we all had a wonderful time.

• 2 months later...

Those of you that booked with Orca, did you get email confirmation? They said they would email details when we booked and we have received nothing...but the card has been charged. I have emailed twice (no response) and called once (no return call as promised).

Those of you that booked with Orca, did you get email confirmation? They said they would email details when we booked and we have received nothing...but the card has been charged. I have emailed twice (no response) and called once (no return call as promised).

Try again. I saw them answering phones.

One thing to keep in mind= service with phones and internet is problematic, in Alaska.

One vendor I have used for years, has changed three times in the past year. I too had no email response which I know for a fact they would definitely have replied, if they had gotten it.

I ended up walking over when I got to the port to say hello. They had not gotten any email. A big problem for a business in Alaska, so keep trying. Some have toll free and local numbers, try both.

After 2 emails (no response:mad:), I called long-distance from Israel...they wanted me to give them the details on the spot and finish the booking, but I said it will cost me a bundle (what with my foreign accent & everything....), I told the girl that I'm sending an e-mail right now, and YES, she replied on the spot, got the confirmation 3 days later. You have the advantage of calling toll-free:), so try again !!!

Archived