QM2 embarkation at NYC

gatour

I will be flying into NYC a few days before our QM2 cruise, while my wife be flying in on the day of embarkation. She will be arriving around 10:30am.

My initial thought is that I take a taxi from my hotel and she takes a taxi from LGA, with the idea that we meet up at around noon.

If I arrive early, can I drop off my luggage and then await outside somewhere, before we actually to check-in.

If so is there a logical place for us to meet up?

I will be flying into NYC a few days before our QM2 cruise, while my wife be flying in on the day of embarkation. She will be arriving around 10:30am. My initial thought is that I take a taxi from my hotel and she takes a taxi from LGA, with the idea that we meet up at around noon. If I arrive early, can I drop off my luggage and then await outside somewhere, before we actually to check-in. If so is there a logical place for us to meet up?

Yes, give your bags to the porters at the curb, as you exit the cab...be prepared to tip them. Just inside the terminal doors, to the left toward the rest rooms, are benches to sit. Don't be herded into any lines, because once past the first Passport check, you can't come back out.

If the weather is nice, walk left, forward of the ship toward the parking lot, for great views of QM2 and the harbor...it's easy to find each other to the left, inside or out.

Cheers & Bon Voyage! :cool:

I will be flying into NYC a few days before our QM2 cruise, while my wife be flying in on the day of embarkation. She will be arriving around 10:30am.

My initial thought is that I take a taxi from my hotel and she takes a taxi from LGA, with the idea that we meet up at around noon.

If I arrive early, can I drop off my luggage and then await outside somewhere, before we actually to check-in.

If so is there a logical place for us to meet up?

Hi gatour. You didn't mention what time of year your voyage takes place - that does make a difference.

If Mrs (Ms) Gatour's flight arrives at 10:30am, she will need to collect her luggage and get a cab (or car service) to the Pier. Chances are that she might not arrive at the pier by noon. But yes, you can drop off your luggage at the pier; your luggage will be on the ship (after clearing security) even if you aren't.

Alternatively, you could meet her at the airport and proceed from there to the pier together.;) Best wishes -S.

Vtbobby,

Thanks for the information. This sounds perfect. I can check-in my luggage bag and one of her bags that I will be bringing with me. Then I can wait for her outside the terminal.

I will also save your suggestion about walking forward of the ship. I am a photo buff, so I am guessing I can get some good photographs based on your description.

Definitely understand about your concern. I live in NE Florida and most times even for a Port Canaveral cruise we drive down a day early. For a Port Everglades cruise we at least drive down half way the day before the cruise.

However my wife has already used a week of her vacation time to do something that her Mom wanted to do. Between the cruise and the week after that we will be spending in the United Kingdom she doesn't have the days available.

I, who is very cautious, would be concerned flying in the day of embarkation. Is this absolutely necessary? Planes can be late. Sorry to be so negative but a fight delay would be a disaster. Katherine

Salacia,

The cruise will be late July. Understand that she might not arrive at the pier by noon, if not I can wait.

Since I will be staying in Manhatten, I really don't want to go back to LGA with my large suitcase, one of her suitcases (along with my camera/laptop bag), just to turn around to head back to Manhatten.

Based on the responses I have received our game plan seems do-able (provided her flight is not delayed)

1. I will take a taxi to the cruise terminal, check-in the luggage.

2. Bide my time at the terminial

3. Through cell phones keep in touch with my wife.

4. Once my wife arrives, she will take a taxi from LGA to the terminal.

5. Meet up, ensure her luggage is checked-in

6. Check in ourselves, etc.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Hi gatour. You didn't mention what time of year your voyage takes place - that does make a difference.

If Mrs (Ms) Gatour's flight arrives at 10:30am, she will need to collect her luggage and get a cab (or car service) to the Pier. Chances are that she might not arrive at the pier by noon. But yes, you can drop off your luggage at the pier; your luggage will be on the ship (after clearing security) even if you aren't.

Alternatively, you could meet her at the airport and proceed from there to the pier together.;) Best wishes -S.

Hi Gatour. I'm glad to hear it's July and not December! Anytime I've been at the Red Hook Pier in the winter, it's been brutally cold outside - darn near froze trying to get some good photos. BTW, there's usually a sandwich/coffee stand operating out of a van in the parking lot if you find yourself in need of refreshement as you're waiting for your wife to arrive. I think it's the only place at the pier selling food/beverages. Best wishes for a wonderful voyage. Cheers, -s

If it is the westside of Manhattan then why not just wait at your hotel(up to a certain time) and be comfortable - have your wife meet you at the hotel & then proceed to the piers. Even if you have to checkout of the room - most hotels will hold your luggage for a while - go have lunch or a stroll. If you wife calls you when she is leaving LGA - by the time you get the luggae & wait outside the hotel - her car will be there.

There are plenty of reliable car services here in NYC....LGA is an easy ride into Manhattan. There really isn't much at either of the piers - altho in Manhattan there is the INTREPID Museum - wonderful ship to explore. But even w/ hand luggage its not fun to trudge around...

Good luck.

Unlikely. Of course things can change, but this is the Port Schedule for NY (Red Hook and Manhattan). http://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Sailing out of Manhattan is my favorite - we did sail out of Brooklyn once - on QM2 - but I missed sailing down the Hudson & seeing north....spectacular!!!

The OP could still have his wife pick him up at his hotel & then proceed to the Brooklyn piers.

Salacia,

Thanks for the link. I just assumed that the QM2 sailed out of Manhattan, but it actually sails out of Red Hook. This just saved a lot of grief.

One of the other reasons I am flying in a couple of day's early is to meet up with some team-mates that either work or live in Manhattan. Although we have been on the same team for several years, we have never actually met in person, due to travel/budget constraints. If it wasn't for trying to meet up with team-mates (at least one other is contemplating, coming down from Boston), I would look into staying in Brooklyn.

Thanks everyone.

Salacia, Thanks for the link. I just assumed that the QM2 sailed out of Manhattan, but it actually sails out of Red Hook. This just saved a lot of grief. One of the other reasons I am flying in a couple of day's early is to meet up with some team-mates that either work or live in Manhattan. Although we have been on the same team for several years, we have never actually met in person, due to travel/budget constraints. If it wasn't for trying to meet up with team-mates (at least one other is contemplating, coming down from Boston), I would look into staying in Brooklyn. Thanks everyone.

I assumed that you knew the ship sailed from Brooklyn...though I did wonder when you mentioned returning to Manhattan from LGA :rolleyes:

If you do stay in Brooklyn, I suggest the Brooklyn Marriott...The 6th Ave. "F" train, to Manhattan, stops right across the street at Borough Hall...and there are lots of restaurants nearby. Your wife could meet you there, then go to the ship.

If she taxis to the ship from LGA, she should have a printout of the directions to the Cruise Terminal with her...there is a 50/50 chance that the driver will not know how to get there. Even though the entrance to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway is right next to the airport...I know of someone who was taken by way of Manhattan, doubling the time and fare, and adding two tolls.:eek: I just looked at the terminals directions, to copy them for you, but they were out of date & before the last road construction. Hopefully that will be corrected before July. Or...have Arecibo Car Service pick her up...they know the way.;)

Cheers :cool:

vtbobby,

Thanks for the tip on the car service, hadn't thought of that.

That should be the way to go. I can pre-arrange the transport. The prices seem to be reasonable. I am familiar with the BQE, so don't want my wife taken for a ride. :)

vtbobby,

Thanks for the tip on the car service, hadn't thought of that.

That should be the way to go. I can pre-arrange the transport. The prices seem to be reasonable. I am familiar with the BQE, so don't want my wife taken for a ride. :)

Beware that the car service will ask for the flight arrival time and they will charge wait time from that time on until your wife appears with her luggage. There seems to be no other way to organize a car service airport pick up which is why (I live in Manhattan) I have ceased to use a car service for pick up and just wait in the taxi line. However, if you have the sort of itinerary you have you may just have to do it.

Archived