Liberty of the Seas **LIVE** Transatlantic Review - 7th to 20th April 2013

Day 6 - 13 April 2013 - At Sea

Earlier in my review I said we were traveling full (I asked guest services). Apparently we only have 3300 passengers. This is 1000 down on a full capacity sailing.

Woke up this morning at 11.30am still feeling a little rough. After lunch in the Windjammer I felt 100% better.

Being from the UK we love hot tea with milk. I have another bugbear . . . . . The tea bags on board are called First Organic Tea and they are weak, insipid and taste of virtually nothing. We are missing our gallons of tea everyday :-(

Today the seas are at 5 metres with 25mph winds. The ship is rocking. I'm finding it really soothing but a lot of people are feeling nauseous and under the weather. Our speed today is 18.2 knots.

It's too cold to swim or be outside today so the Royal Promenade is quite busy. I'm really enjoying sitting and people watching. Passengers on this cruise seem particularly friendly for some reason and because of this we've chatted to loads of people - it's been really nice.

At 3pm we went to Studio B to see the Ice Show called 'Encore'. There was a cast of 12 and the show was really well executed and danced. You do need to go and see it if you sail on the voyager, freedom or oasis class ships. (We were surprised the show went ahead because of the heavy seas - there were a few falls during the show.

Looked at the cruise compass this afternoon to plan our evening. The show tonight is a headliner called 'David Heenan'. We're not going as we'll be in the Diamond Lounge. What I find strange on Liberty's cruise compass is that they give you the times of shows and names of the headliners but tell you nothing about what type of act or entertainment they are ?!?!?!

Not a lot new to review this evening apart from going to see The Love & Marriage Game Show. Rich Edwards was really funny compering this. I still enjoy this show but the questions were the same they have been for many years, which takes the shine off it a little. On Freedom of the Seas in September 2012, Drew Divine (my favourite CD) had renewed all the questions and the audience scored and voted for the winners. His L & M GS is the best I've seen.

More review tommorrow :-)

Answers To Questions

- Rose Wine - Mass De La Dame, Les Baux de Provence $35, Torres Sangre de Toro De Casta $30, Beringer White Zinfandel $27, Belle Glos Pinot Noir Blanc 'Oeil de Perdrix' $54.

Beringer White Zinfandel is the one included in the wine package choice and I love it.

- Rich Edwards, Cruise Director. We really like him. He's fun and seems very committed to everyone having a good time. I asked him today and he says he's on Liberty until 4 August.

Day 7 - 14 April 2013 - At Sea

Unfortunately I wasn't well today so missed most of it !! Not good for a cruise review I know - sorry. I suffer from Bi-Polar and it snook around the corner to give me a big slap today.

I've just tried to give you a flavour of the day from the Cruise Compass and announcements I've heard.

It was quite cold today 60°f (16°C) with SW winds of 30mph. We were travelling 18.1 knots in 5-6 metre seas. The ship was rolling well - ha ha ha !

One thing that has surprised me over the week (especially on today's cruise compass) is how many chargeable fitness room classes such as Pilates, yoga, boxing, cycling etc. there are. Also how many spa/fitness centre 'lectures' there are on things like massage, non surgical facelift, foot print etc. where they will try and sell you a course of treatments or products at the end.

I can't really review daytime meals today as all I've had is Cream of Mushroom soup. Apart from saying it is one of the best Mushroom soups I've ever had.

I've been in my stateroom all day today reading as my bi-polar (when giving me a kicking) makes me upset and anxious around a lot of people. One thing I was going to try and venture out to do was to see the RCI production 'In The Air'. This was scheduled at 3pm but at 2.15pm Rich Edwards said they were postponing it until day 12 as it was too dangerous for the cast to perform due to the movement of the ship and a lot of aerial tricks being performed.

I did venture out at 7pm to see the Headliner comedy magician 'Bob Brizendine'. He was really funny but I could only stay 25 minutes due to how I was feeling. I had to come back to my stateroom.

I've just ordered room service for my evening dinner and am waiting for them to deliver it. Honey Stung Chicken with Sweet Potatoe Fries, Fruit Plate and Raspberry Cheesecake !! Yum Yum.

Well . . . . . . That's all for today. Hopefully I'll wake up feeling much better after a good nights sleep.

More review tomorrow :-)

Some of the entertainment and things to do on this seas day

Legs, bums and tums class

Indoor cycling

Boxing class

Water aerobics (whoever did that must be crazy as the pools are freezing)

Daily trivia

Music trivia

Waltz dance class

Movie - Trouble with the curve & Hope springs

Art auction

Crosswords challenge

Julie Grant - 60's pop singer - meet and greet

What's that tune

Majority rules game show

Day 7 - 14 April 2013 - At Sea

Unfortunately I wasn't well today so missed most of it !! Not good for a cruise review I know - sorry. I suffer from Bi-Polar and it snook around the corner to give me a big slap today.

I've just tried to give you a flavour of the day from the Cruise Compass and announcements I've heard.

It was quite cold today 60°f (16°C) with SW winds of 30mph. We were travelling 18.1 knots in 5-6 metre seas. The ship was rolling well - ha ha ha !

One thing that has surprised me over the week (especially on today's cruise compass) is how many chargeable fitness room classes such as Pilates, yoga, boxing, cycling etc. there are. Also how many spa/fitness centre 'lectures' there are on things like massage, non surgical facelift, foot print etc. where they will try and sell you a course of treatments or products at the end.

I can't really review daytime meals today as all I've had is Cream of Mushroom soup. Apart from saying it is one of the best Mushroom soups I've ever had.

I've been in my stateroom all day today reading as my bi-polar (when giving me a kicking) makes me upset and anxious around a lot of people. One thing I was going to try and venture out to do was to see the RCI production 'In The Air'. This was scheduled at 3pm but at 2.15pm Rich Edwards said they were postponing it until day 12 as it was too dangerous for the cast to perform due to the movement of the ship and a lot of aerial tricks being performed.

I did venture out at 7pm to see the Headliner comedy magician 'Bob Brizendine'. He was really funny but I could only stay 25 minutes due to how I was feeling. I had to come back to my stateroom.

I've just ordered room service for my evening dinner and am waiting for them to deliver it. Honey Stung Chicken with Sweet Potatoe Fries, Fruit Plate and Raspberry Cheesecake !! Yum Yum.

Well . . . . . . That's all for today. Hopefully I'll wake up feeling much better after a good nights sleep.

Legs, bums and tums class

Indoor cycling

Boxing class

Water aerobics (whoever did that must be crazy as the pools are freezing)

Daily trivia

Music trivia

Waltz dance class

Movie - Trouble with the curve & Hope springs

Art auction

Crosswords challenge

Julie Grant - 60's pop singer - meet and greet

What's that tune

Majority rules game show

Oh sweetie, sorry you're feeling rough and not able to enjoy yourself as much as you normally would. It's wonderful that you have been able to write up as much as you have.

I googled Julie Grant.... a Brit contemporary of Cilla and Pet Clark.

Sorry about the tea..... no-one makes tea like us Brits!

Hello Ticktoneer,

I hope you are feeling a little better.

Could you please find out if Rich Edwards will be the CD on the return TA? We have had him on the Liberty as the Assistant CD and really enjoyed him.

Thank you!

Rich Edwards, Cruise Director. We really like him. He's fun and seems very committed to everyone having a good time. I asked him today and he says he's on Liberty until 4 August.

Thank you so much for your answer to my question. We will have him on our cruise which will end on 4th August. We have not seem him yet so it will be nice to have a different CD. I hope you continue to improve feeling better. I felt bad asking you the question again after I read that you were not feeling 100%. Enjoy the rest of your cruise and thank you for continuing to report.

Edited by Broch

Really enjoying reading your live report. I hope you are feeling much better soon.

We are sailing on the Liberty in October doing the Westbound TA.

Can you tell me exactly what soft drinks you get onboard for free.. we are on the fence about buying the soda package.

Oh sweetie, sorry you're feeling rough and not able to enjoy yourself as much as you normally would. It's wonderful that you have been able to write up as much as you have.

I googled Julie Grant.... a Brit contemporary of Cilla and Pet Clark.

Sorry about the tea..... no-one makes tea like us Brits!

This is why so many brits take our own tea bags where ever we go lol

Day 8 - 15 April 2013 - At Sea

A strange start to the day today. I woke up at 11am to see land out of my balcony. I thought I'd missed 2 days as our first port of call is on day 10 - ha ha ha !!!

We were anchored just outside the port as there was Navigator of the Seas docked in port. Apparently we had a medical emergency which is why we had made an unscheduled stop in The Azores. For some reason the ships doctor had to accompany the patient and he didn't get back to the ship until after 2pm. There have been no announcements about being late into Lisbon so I'm assuming they'll make the time up.

We ate at the Windjammer for lunch which was very nice then nipped up to the Diamond Lounge for real decent tasting coffee.

There wasn't a lot to do this afternoon in the cruise compass but luckily the sun was out so we sunbathed for a while which was really nice. The pool areas were quite busy.

In the afternoon the seas died down and we stopped rocking as much which you could tell made people happier and not as anxious. People seemed more friendly and relaxed again.

7pm was Headliner Showtime with Analiza Ching who was a fantastic violinist. As that is all she did, 45 minutes was a long time to keep you entertained (despite me enjoying classical music and stringed instruments - one of which I play)

From 7.45pm onwards we went to the DL for drinks. The staff are really really nice.

Dinner in the main MDR at 8.30 was good. We had beef broth, salad, steak, veal shank and a strawberry and cream dessert.

We lurked around the Royal Promenade after dinner as they were playing some great music. At 10.30pm it was the 70's Dancin In The Streets party. This was a real laugh as it always is and Rich was good at getting everyone to join in. One of the YMCA guys had pecs and abs to die for !!!!!!! :-)

We've made friends with a guy who is a semi professional singer and he had arranged to sing in the Schooner Bar with the resident pianist/singer providing the music for him. He sang 'This Is The Moment' and 'Bring Him Home' from Les Miserables. I've got to say that he was absolutely amazing. He got a massive round of applause, big cheers and shouts for more more more !! One of the highlights of my trip :-)

After this it was onto 'The Catacombs' and at 1am I succumbed to my bed to finish this days review and post it.

Fab Abs

Napkin Artistry

Lecture - Ford Cars

Lecture - Bridge

70's Line Dance Class

Volleyball

Daily trivia

Movies - Moneyball, The Bourne Legacy, Julie & Julia

Art auction

Crosswords challenge

Meet the Dreamworks Characters

Answers To Questions & Things . . .

- thanks a lot for your really kind wishes re: my health. I feel a lot better today.

- Magicat - as soon as I see Rich Edwards I'll ask him about the TA at the end of the year

- crafty_sue. You asked about room 6318 - I nipped down there and it looks like rooms 6316 and 6318 are opposite a crew stairwell and crew elevator area.

Answers To Questions & Things . . .

- thanks a lot for your really kind wishes re: my health. I feel a lot better today.

- Magicat - as soon as I see Rich Edwards I'll ask him about the TA at the end of the year

- crafty_sue. You asked about room 6318 - I nipped down there and it looks like rooms 6316 and 6318 are opposite a crew stairwell and crew elevator area.

Thanks so much for checking my cabin out for me ! - oh dear I hope we don't have noisy crew ! - on the plus side we might get great service ! Hope you are feeling more yourself - (you know what I mean !!) and enjoy the rest of the trip

look forward to the rest of your review

kind regards

Sue xx:)

Day 9 - 16 April 2013 - At Sea

A lovely day today. The sunshine is out, the sky is blue and the seas have calmed down. It's quite warm - 70°f.

One thing I haven't said yet is that we have no hot water in our shower and haven't had since day 1. It's not been too much of a bind as we've gone up to the fitness zone changing room and used their showers but not rectifying this for us by day 9 really is poor service. I'll have to be blunt and direct without being confrontational later today to sort it out.

I can't believe we've only had 1 breakfast this vacation. Ha ha ha !! I'm getting on a bit now (age wise) and if I'm not in bed for midnight I miss half of the next day. Oh to be in my twenties again when I could come in at 3am and still get up for work at 6am, bright as a button. Lol.

Lunch was the Windjammer today. It opens from 11am until 4pm and people do seem to spread the hours they eat. We've never once had trouble getting a table in their.

At 2pm it was today's first performance of 'Saturday Night Fever'. I'd read some mixed reviews about it on CC so was pensive at going to see it. People have said the singing isn't good, the sets are not great and that it has no story, just a myriad of song after song.

IT WAS AMAZING !!!! We loved it. I can't believe how they staged and produced such an elaborate piece of musical theatre on a ship's stage. I was enthral led for all 90 minutes. Granted the singing was a little off a few times, but that OK in the overall picture. The scenery was fantastic, costumes stunning and hard work/energy of the cast excellent. I think I'll go and see it again !

One thing that was quite funny was that maybe 2 minutes after it had started the Captain decided to do a random unscheduled announcement to test his PA system. This cut off all other sound throughout the ship - including Saturday Night Fever. Lol. His PA ended 'have a beautiful afternoon'. They started from the top again once his PA had ended. :-)

Sunbathed again this afternoon. It was lovely in the fresh air with the noise of the ocean all around. The sound of the ocean really is magical.

Dinner in the MDR at 8.30pm. Tonight our selections were beef broth, shrimp something ???, roast chicken, steak, and BBB creme brûlée.

The show tonight was Saturday Night Fever again so we wandered around chatting to people and drinking for the evening.

More review tomorrow (Lisbon day - hooray !!!!) :-)

Day 10 - 17 April 2013 - Lisbon, Portugal

Ship arrived - 7.00am

Gangway opened - 7.30am

All aboard - 4.30pm

Hooray, I actually made it to breakfast this morning !!! Too late for the MDR, but in time for the Windjammer (that darn orange juice !!!)

As we didn't have an excursion booked and didn't want a bus ride into town we decided to stay on the ship. It was lovely having hardly anyone else on the ship. The weather was really good - low winds and 70°f.

Feedback on Lisbon seemed split down the middle. Some people who had planned well and went sightseeing seemed to really enjoy it, but those that paid $12 return bus ride getting into the city on the RCI bus said this was a waste of money and that there was nothing to do.

What I did really enjoy was our balcony facing out looking at the magnificent bridge and statue of Christ the Redeemer. The ship must have missed the bottom of the bridge by inches.

We sunbathed for quite a while today and then had a late 'lunch' in Windjammer. The ship didn't start to get busy until around 3.30pm.

At 3.30pm we went to see the new Dreamworks movie 'The Croods' in 3D. Unfortunately the sound was faulty so this was cancelled after 40 minutes. I hope it's repeated tomorrow or Friday.

Returned to our stateroom to chill for half an hour at just after 4pm and woke up at 8pm !!! Aaaggggghhhh ! Lol

Had a quick drink in the Diamond Lounge at 8pm then went to dinner in the MDR. We had Chicken consommé, calimari (best my buddy has ever had), pork loin with prosciutto, lamb chops and baklava for dessert.

Tonight (again) it was Saturday Night Fever and Encore the ice show so we wandered around chatting to people and drinking for the evening.

At 10pm we went to a Michael Jackson (MJ) fun hour in The Sphinx. It was a great activity. It started with MJ music trivia. We scored 17 out of 20 and won - hooray !!! Prizes were out of this world - a RCI baseball cap and gold medal each. Ha ha ha.

INTERESTING POINT - I wasn't aware that while RCI ships sail within Spanish waters, a 10% local tax will be charged on all beverages and speciality restaurants

More review tomorrow (Cadiz, Spain day - hooray !!!!) :-)

Think my Q got buried so I'll ask again... Do you know how much it is for the thermal suite for the duration of the cruise?!!

Sounds like you are having a great time! Enjoy Lisbon

There isn't a thermal suite onboard. There is a free sauna / steam room in the male & female fitness area changing rooms. Nothing mixed sex though. Hope that helps :-)

Hi Tictoneer. Really enjoying your review and glad to see that you seem to be back to full health again.

I knew about the Spanish tax, but Im wondering now will this tax be added to the daily drinks package of $55 which includes gratuity.