Liberty of the Seas **LIVE** Transatlantic Review - 7th to 20th April 2013

thanks!! i'll keep that in mind if i do a westbound!

i wonder what the pros and cons are of the westbound vs the eastbound! :)

:DWe prefer to do the Westbound as we have the l-o-n-g flight and our Ports of call first and feel the "shock" of the full time change at the beginning of the cruise! For this reason we try to arrive at our boarding port a few days prior to the cruise! Then after the ports of call we have the sea days to relax and it seems as if we are always gaining an hour almost daily!!! Then it is just a short flight home, or if you are lucky just a cab ride.

We did the Liberty TA from Barcelona in 2011 and loved it, that one was over Halloween and was a lot of fun onboard.

Liberty of the Seas - Fun Facts !!!

Flag - Bahamian

Built in 18 months in 2006/2007 by Aker Yards in Turku, Finland

Maiden voyage - May 19 2007

Gross tonnage - 154,407

Length - 338.9 metres

Breadth - 126.64ft / 38.6 metres

Draft - 29ft / 8.8 metres

Crew members - over 1400 from 65 countries

Total capacity (inc' crew) - 5,728

Total cost - $800,000,000

Godmother - Donnalea Madely

Generators - 6 using diesel as fuel

Fuel consumption on this transatlantic cruise - it is averaging $5,025 per hour !!!!!

Maximum speed - 22.5 knots forward, 17 knots in reverse, 3 knots sideways

Water / Ice - 700,000 gallons of freshwater is produced every 24 hours, a passenger uses an average of 58 gallons (220 litres) each per day and 65,000Ibs (24,445 kgs) of ice are produced every 24 hours.

Some of the Foods consumed in a week:-

Beef - 20,000Ibs

Chicken - 12,000Ibs

Pork - 5,000Ibs

Eggs - 28,000

Flour - 15,000Ibs

Fresh fruits - 35,000Ibs

Fresh vegetables - 65,000Ibs

Ice cream - 8,000 gallons

Slices of pizza - 18,000

Beer - 8,500 cans

Soda - 11,500 cans

Wine - 2,900 bottles

Standing upright on its bow Liberty would trump New Yorks Chrysler building (1,046 ft) and the Eiffel Tower (986ft)

At 145,000 the GRT of Liberty is equal to that of Royals first four ships all put together.

When measured from the waterline to the top of the funnel, Liberty towers 208ft tall which is approx' the same height as two Statues of Liberty placed toe to toe.

The Platinum Theatre seats 1350 guests. This is the same as 3 full 747 airplanes.

Staterooms - 1817

(1083 ocean view - 866 of these with balconies and 734 inside - 168 of these with Promenade view)

Day 5 - 12 April 2013 - At Sea

Ill try and give some more facts and figures today from a Captains Corner talk in the Platinum Theatre. It'll be a separate post so I hope you enjoy them.

You might not get much else in today's review as I'm not feeling well. I don't know what it is but I feel like just curling up in bed.

Today we're 2200 miles from Lisbon and we've left Bermuda 700 miles behind us at 12 noon. At 10pm this evening we'll be halfway to Lisbon. We are currently travelling at a speed of 18 knots and need to maintain 17.9 knots to get to Lisbon on time.

The seas have increased overnight and are now 3.5 metres with a NW wind of 15mph.

We were up at 8am this morning (shocking - I don't think I knew that time existed on a cruise - ha ha ha). We went to the Windjammer for breakfast which was great as it was quiet. We then went up to the Diamond Lounge on deck 14 for coffee and juice.

I came back downstairs at 9am feeling really rough - light headed and feeling sick. However I decided to go to the Captains Corner discussion in the Platinum Theatre at 10.45am. I'm really glad I did as it was very interesting.

See another separate post I've done with some facts about Liberty of the Seas. Captain Per Kristoffersen is very charismatic, friendly and quite funny.

12 noon - This is probably the point you might not get any more review today as I'm going to try and have a sleep and see if I wake up feeling any better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its nothing like the norovirus or anything else like this developing.

7pm - I'm still feeling under the weather (as we say in the UK) so I'm just staying in the room for the rest of today. Plenty of water and rest !

More review tommorrow :-)

so sorry to hear you're not feeling well...

i hope it's just a wee bit of exhaustion from all this relaxing you're doing!! ;)

i hope you're feeling much better now..

maybe it's a bit of seasickness? have you tried seabands? they work like a charm for me!!

take it easy!!

and thanks for all those interesting facts! just amazes me!!!!! the quantities are insane!!! :eek:

We were on the Westbound Liberty TA last year and we were told there were about 100 children on board, you hardly noticed them amongst the 3,721 passengers on that sailing. I think I probably saw about 10 kids in the whole 2 weeks.

As far as balconies go they are absolutely worth it (at least on the westbound) and if you can get an aft balcony the view is awesome

8644171310_e9eb25ee61_b.jpg

8644184466_f94ee9e64b_b.jpg

We were on the Westbound Liberty TA last year and we were told there were about 100 children on board, you hardly noticed them amongst the 3,721 passengers on that sailing. I think I probably saw about 10 kids in the whole 2 weeks.

As far as balconies go they are absolutely worth it (at least on the westbound) and if you can get an aft balcony the view is awesome

8644171310_e9eb25ee61_b.jpg

8644184466_f94ee9e64b_b.jpg

is the aft noisy? (thrusters)

@ alaska_planner from our balcony (deck 9) all you could hear was the calming sound of the wake. I don't know about the lower decks but when we were walking around promenade deck (deck 5) you could hear the engines when you were at the back of the ship but that was the only time.

Paul

@ alaska_planner from our balcony (deck 9) all you could hear was the calming sound of the wake. I don't know about the lower decks but when we were walking around promenade deck (deck 5) you could hear the engines when you were at the back of the ship but that was the only time.

Paul

the view looks amazing!! i assume those rooms go fast on the TAs :)

Day 5 - 12 April 2013 - At Sea

Ill try and give some more facts and figures today from a Captains Corner talk in the Platinum Theatre. It'll be a separate post so I hope you enjoy them.

You might not get much else in today's review as I'm not feeling well. I don't know what it is but I feel like just curling up in bed.

Today we're 2200 miles from Lisbon and we've left Bermuda 700 miles behind us at 12 noon. At 10pm this evening we'll be halfway to Lisbon. We are currently travelling at a speed of 18 knots and need to maintain 17.9 knots to get to Lisbon on time.

The seas have increased overnight and are now 3.5 metres with a NW wind of 15mph.

We were up at 8am this morning (shocking - I don't think I knew that time existed on a cruise - ha ha ha). We went to the Windjammer for breakfast which was great as it was quiet. We then went up to the Diamond Lounge on deck 14 for coffee and juice.

I came back downstairs at 9am feeling really rough - light headed and feeling sick. However I decided to go to the Captains Corner discussion in the Platinum Theatre at 10.45am. I'm really glad I did as it was very interesting.

See another separate post I've done with some facts about Liberty of the Seas. Captain Per Kristoffersen is very charismatic, friendly and quite funny.

12 noon - This is probably the point you might not get any more review today as I'm going to try and have a sleep and see if I wake up feeling any better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that its nothing like the norovirus or anything else like this developing.

7pm - I'm still feeling under the weather (as we say in the UK) so I'm just staying in the room for the rest of today. Plenty of water and rest !

More review tommorrow :-)

haven't heard from you today - i hope you're not still under the weather!

Questions ?!?!?!?!?!?!

springaussie (glen) - you asked me to try and put some ship speeds in my reviews. I've started to do this in Day 2. We are doing 18.2 knots today. I hope that's ok?

springaussie (glen) and scottifer - you both asked about the lines outside the new cruise booking office once the Oasis and Europe programmes opened up. They haven't been as bad as I thought. Everytime I've passed today there has probably been between 15-25 people waiting to see the Loyalty Ambassador and his staff.

moxy35 - you asked about kids on this transatlantic. There are 99 children but guest services couldn't break it down into age brackets for me.

crafty_sue - you asked about bitter in the bars. They have Bass in bottles, Newcastle brown in bottles and Boddingtons in cans. I hope this makes sense to you as I'm not a beer or lager drinker :-)

dragon of the seas - you asked about TA's and what there is to do on the many sea days. I'm going to bring the cruise compasses home to post on here and at the end of each days review I'll give a flavour of some of that days activities. I hope that'll work for you.

Thanks for checking out the Beer - looks like he will either have boddys or join me in a nice glass or three of wine ! - have a great cruise can you check out something else for me if you have a minute ? - our cabin on 19th may is 6318 - opposite is a white space on the deck plan - can you do a bit of detective work and find out what it is.

regards sue x;)

I see that Rich Edwards is the cruise director on your cruise, do you know if he still going to be there in July/August. Also if you have seen him what is your opinion of him

Could you please answer my question when you have a minute. Thanks

Yes, we are in Punta Delgada, the Azores, portugal at the moment.

I have cell service here and getting work done.

Passenger transfered with family and doctor will return to ship after transfer.

The coincidence of Navigator now in port , while we now have medical emergency, considering they came in to fort lauderdale with one on our embarcation day.

We have no information. I will not post until lisbon next and may get some more facts, doctor is with patient from ship and we will only sail after his return, they have the ship facing sea now awaiting return.