Zuiderdam Internet charges no more $99

CoronaCRZR

I'm sorry. "Feeling screwed", "HAL is sticking to me", "test rat" are phrases I'm rading from the OP. About internet. On a cruise ship. First world problems.

It wasn't too long ago that you all lived without the internet on cruise ships. How did you manage?

How did people manage without cell phones? I really can't stand seeing people with phones 2 inches from their face every second of the day. I often wonder if people know how silly they look. It is what it is. My mom is elderly and losing her hearing. I used to buy a phone card from Hal and call her from the ship. I can not do that now. My mom means the world to me and I like to make her happy so I send a daily report to her. There is no reason for Hal to be charging $249 for a short cruise. There is no other way to put it, it's highway robbery.

I hear this a lot but the fact is that people had elderly parents before the internet was invented. I also have parents who are getting old but I don't have to email them every day. This addiction to the internet is really cramping real life experiences. Of course you have a choice.

We had a recent family event where one family member at home was getting quite agitated because other family members wasn't sending out emails every day while on their trip abroad. It got to the point of becoming a big hassle with predictions of dire events. Of course the reason they were not sending out emails every day was because they were out traveling!

igraf

Unfortunately we have elderly parents that we have to keep in touch with. It isn't a choice whether we buy it or not.

Just saw our updated weather forecast. 25 cm of snow by tomorrow afternoon :eek:

(This might be one of the reasons guns are not allowed in national parks :D )

I have decided that spring is skipping us this year. I think we are going to go straight from winter to summer:rolleyes:

I hear this a lot but the fact is that people had elderly parents before the internet was invented. I also have parents who are getting old but I don't have to email them every day. This addiction to the internet is really cramping real life experiences. Of course you have a choice. .....

igraf

I won't speak for others who said they want to keep in touch with their elderly parents, but I don't send out emails daily. I do want to check my email every few days because that is the only way my family has to reach me and it's for my peace of mind that everything is alright back at home. Elderly parents, pregnant daughter, sick relative, there may be many reasons. I'm not talking about a 7-day cruise, but the longer ones.

When you put it that way, yes, we do have a choice, of course. I guess I put family first, and I won't make excuses for that. :)

I habitually send out one email to a group of family and friends just before going to bed each night - kind of a private blog - and retrieve any they have sent me in response to the previous day's. It takes me typically 3 to 5 minutes of connect time. I will not be doing that if my only choice for a little time each day is well north of $200!! :eek:

I have decided that spring is skipping us this year. I think we are going to go straight from winter to summer.
Same here. Two weeks ago daily highs were our typical winter high 50s/low 60s F, and for the past two or three days we have been in the mid 80s.

I hear this a lot but the fact is that people had elderly parents before the internet was invented. I also have parents who are getting old but I don't have to email them every day. This addiction to the internet is really cramping real life experiences. Of course you have a choice.

I agree with you 100%. And note that one of the choices is to not cruise.

One reason we cruise for vacations is to get away from all the ringing cell phones, texting people who don't look where they are going, and general rudeness caused by those devices. Once access gets too cheap, we're going to have to look for something else. Like a cabin on Mars. :p

Of course we all have choices. My problem is with the fact it was $99 last week and $249 this week, and no not being melodaramtic, just stating some facts.

You were offered a service and had the choice to accept the offer or not. Don't you think you're being a bit melodramatic?

Archived