Zuiderdam Internet charges no more $99

CoronaCRZR

I've never even considered using the ship's Internet. We usually find a free Internet connection in port and many times from our verandah. Crew members are always 'in the know' as to wi-fi connections in port - just ask about.

Mumsy.

It is upsetting.

The truth is prices are high and connections are slow on all the ships we have sailed on regardless of line.

You can use connection strategies as above, or take the opportunity to disconnect a bit while you are on vacation. I know I can't do it but it might be a consideration for some.

Time was you had no opportunity to connect with the shore at all - then only the Marconi. Maybe those were actually better days.

You're making me nervous about my 31 day cruise.

I do like to do a live thread and have no problem to copy and paste but I do need to keep tabs on certain emails and on my finances (always worry when we are away).

Yes, I use internet on the ships - our cruise is very port intensive and I have no intention of wasting time in ports to do internet (other than Bermuda perchance).

I also don't want to carry my device around everywhere!

We'll see what happens I guess. What will be will be. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about another change on HAL.

Wonder what is being done for the 5 star mariners who entitled to getting 100 miniutes at 1/2 price?

"HAL reserves the right to modify or terminate the Program, or to change the Terms & Conditions of participation and benefits of the Program, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice."

I think it will be important for all who are not offered a per minute price to make your dissatisfaction known via your cruise questionnaire at the end of the cruise!!!

DH and I were discussing this, and this fee structure doesn't work for us at all. :( We will NOT be purchasing a computer package from HAL and will use our wireless smart phone on land to check our mail etc., things we'd usually buy a HAL computer package for.

HAL may find this angers quite a few loyal customers, if we complain enough possibly they will rethink this decision......

Wonder what is being done for the 5 star mariners who entitled to getting 100 miniutes at 1/2 price?

I'd like to know if any of the 5 star mariners have called HAL to inquire about this and, if so, what was HAL's response.

They seem to be testing various methods of pricing and we've seen it bounced around in the last few weeks from great package at $99 to ridiculously highly priced packages like mentioned here.

If no one is buying the high priced internet time, they may rework the pricing...... hopefully. We always buy a package but would not at this price.

I'd like to know if any of the 5 star mariners have called HAL to inquire about this and, if so, what was HAL's response.

Sometimes the answers reported here as what a rep in Seattle told them is not what actually happens on the ships. I know they mean well but headquarters reps sometimes get it wrong.

I think the thing to remember what is happening on this present sailing of the Zuiderdam is it is a TEST, so was the last sailing when it they were only charging $99 for unlimited for the full 10 days. My guess is they had an over whelming response of more people buying the Internet package than on the old program for the previous sailing, so with last sailing being a sucess they went for pie in the sky for prices this voyage :D My guess is the next Zuiderdam voyage which is the 18 and 22 day repositioning will have totally different pricing. I seriously doubt we will see the really cheap prices that were offered the last voyage return but I suspect they will lower the prices to find a happy medium. I am sure there are plenty of complaints going on right now. Just my personal opinion I am not sure how they can continue to not offer a per minute plan. To have the only options be to purchase for a 24 hour period or the full voyage makes no sense. My guess they may realize that with time as well ;)

I think the thing to remember what is happening on this present sailing of the Zuiderdam is it is a TEST, so was the last sailing when it they were only charging $99 for unlimited for the full 10 days. My guess is they had an over whelming response of more people buying the Internet package than on the old program for the previous sailing, so with last sailing being a sucess they went for pie in the sky for prices this voyage :D My guess is the next Zuiderdam voyage which is the 18 and 22 day repositioning will have totally different pricing. I seriously doubt we will see the really cheap prices that were offered the last voyage return but I suspect they will lower the prices to find a happy medium. I am sure there are plenty of complaints going on right now. Just my personal opinion I am not sure how they can continue to not offer a per minute plan. To have the only options be to purchase for a 24 hour period or the full voyage makes no sense. My guess they may realize that with time as well ;)

Many of us try to avoid the internet while cruising. An unlimited plan is nothing but a rip off for those clients. I do hope you are right Lisa, and HAL comes to their senses!!! :rolleyes:

There was no unlimited plan on the Zaandam. It was 250 minutes for a $100. One hundred minutes for $55. Which is what is posted on the HAL website. If they are giving unlimited minutes for the whole cruise for $250-----that is a real bargain. On even a week cruise, it is very easy with slow connection to eat up 250 minutes.

As for five star Mariners. We were on a collective cruise. And I bought 100 minutes and paid about $27 which is half of $55.

The price some will pay for technology. :eek::eek:

I use the Internet to send cruise blog and photos while on the cruise to relatives and friends who are concerned about us while traveling. Having wasted too much of my time in free Internet cafes unable to send an e-mail. I finally decided it was less frustrating to pay the money than waste my valuable vacation in an Internet cafe. I am looking forward to the day when there is a much faster connection.

Unfortunately, we might have to pay big bucks if we want to use it. Hope the post on the Zuiderdam is a misunderstanding.

Just an observation but it is amazing how many of us can no longer do without technology. I know I don't leave my house without my cell phone and can't imagine how I survived without one for 45 years. Don't feel the same about internet yet but who knows, I just may in the future. For now I can cruise without it.

I enjoy escaping from the Internet when we cruise. We cruised for many years when being out of touch was normal, unless you wanted to pay the outragous price for ship to shore calls, and loved the isolation. Anytime I've tried to use the Internet, no matter what cruise line, it has been a frustrating experience so we can live without it. If I recall correctly, the price for Internet on the our Zuiderdam cruise (3/18 - 3/29) was $20 a day but we didn't bother with it.

This isn't meant to be snarky so please don't take it that way... :) But the vast majority of us are not 5 star mariners, and I am very sad to hear that the internet price is so high.

I am quite confident that the 5 star mariners will continue to be well taken care of as they seem to be judging by the numerous comments about benefits and perks on this board from those who do rack up many cruise days on HAL.

That kind of pricing strategy shows they have not thought it through. There is nothing to stop someone from buying the package then letting others use their login (family/friends etc). In the end they would miss out by not offering the per minute plan or other more useful plans for people who want occasional internet use.

OP - Are you sure it isn't for 24 hours of internet spread out however you like over the length of the cruise?
It can't be that. On other ships some standard plans are 100 minutes for $55, 250 minutes for $100, and 1000 minutes for $250. That's 55 cents, 40 cents, and 25 cents per minute respectively. 24 hours (1440 minutes) for $59 would be 4.1 cents per minute. No way!! ;)

There was a big thread on this a couple days ago. The Zuidy is doing price experiments for unlimited Internet.

Last week it was $99 unlimited and everyone was ecstatic. Apparently it was $199 the week before.

Hopefully you give HAL your feedback so they are well aware what the sweet spot for pricing should be!

Archived