Port question

arone

How much money do you bring with you on port days?

We are stopping in Freeport and thinking of going to Tony Macaroni's and Nassau we have a prepaid excursion with Carnival after that thinking of stopping and look around in the straw market and in Senor frogs

For the wife and I normally about 100 bucks split between us in small bills, nothing over a 10 plus one of us always has a credit card. Only use the card at big name reputable places. Senior Frogs would class as one of these and I have used it at a number of them without issue. If there is something specific we are looking for which isn't often we may take more cash but that is by exception

always retain your credit card receipt until you have paid your bill - foreign soil can produce "issues" with credit cards. Make sure you get YourCard returned to you and Check the price charged before you sign.

We have had good luck, but also not so good luck with credit cards on foreign soil - notify your CC company where you'll be using your card, just to avoid challenges.

small bills for street-vendors ..they'll never have change. $50 one-dollar bills would not be unreasonable for a 7-nt cruise.

Is it safe to pay by a CC in Italy? Will American Express work? And shall I call my CC company before the cruise? Is it really necessary? Sorry for so many questions…. It will be my first trip to Europe and I don’t know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Is it safe to pay by a CC in Italy? Will American Express work? And shall I call my CC company before the cruise? Is it really necessary? Sorry for so many questions…. It will be my first trip to Europe and I don’t know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

CCs work in Europe & you do a little better on the exchange rate because you get the bank's rate. You may lose that advantage if your CC company charges a fee.

You should always tell your CC company that you will be using the card on vacation. If you don't have a spending pattern like that they will call your house to confirm authorization to use the card. If you aren't there to answer the phone, they may deny the charge.

We've never had a problem with our Visa or MasterCard credit/debit cards in Europe. One caveat - only at the larger stores. A lot of smaller stores or vendors/restaurants won't take cards because the transaction fees are higher in SOME European countries. If they take them, there are the little logo stickers near the door or on the menu posted outside.

For American Express? Have a backup card. My SIL took an American Express as her only card and couldn't find a single vendor who accepted it in Paris. :eek: Might just be France, but I always try to have two different network cards just in case.

B

The prices quoted are correct. If you find a Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville you will pay the same. Mother just had to have a drink there so we went Her margarita was $14 But she did get to keep the 25 cent glass it came in.

thanks for the info!

imho, leave the American Express card at home... almost nobody accepts it. VISA is widely accepted. Always good to keep the foreign cash available, but save your receipts each time you exchange$$$ and don't exchange too much in advance because then you will be stuck with it, unless you pay more commission to turn it back to US $ ...

More than once, we've had some money leftover before flying home to US and 'go shopping' in the airport shops to "get rid of it". Good place to buy candy, cookies, and lots of fun things to get rid of the money.

Travel across the pond is a great adventure. Bon Voyage ;)

p.s. watch out for pickpockets, *everywhere* .

Thank you all so much for the explanations. I will take VISA and MasterCard. Are there any other places in Venice where I have to pay in cash? “Vaporetto” tickets? Museum tickets? I’m afraid to carry cash. As far as I know there are a lot of pick pockets in Italy.

Archived