"Live" Blogging - I wanna!!!

Okay...I officially embark on Freedom of the Seas in 21 days! And I've had so much fun reading everyone's reviews and live blogs, that I want to do it myself! I think...

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for live-blogging on board? For instance - what's the best way of keeping your thoughts organized and remembering what you do each day? What's the best way (and website) to upload photos that will be good quality but not take forever to upload on the Ship's WiFi?

Any other tips/hints you have would be fantastic!!!

I did a live posting for our Alaska cruise this summer. I really enjoyed it. I paid so much more attention to the details--because I needed to write about them.

One thing I did was pre-write some of the content. For example, I wrote a basic framework with the time the ship docked, the name of the port, what tour I had booked [if I had one] etc for each day. That way I had much less to type during the cruise. There were a couple of things I changed. but, mostly these things stayed the same. It saved me a lot of time.

I loaded pics to photobucket. It is pretty easy to use.

I noticed in a recent Live report by another poster that they only did text postings on the cruise and loaded pics after they got home. If you take a laptop--you can type it all out offline and only access internet when posting.

Good luck!!

When I have data reception on my phone I upload postings and pictures through Tapatalk. The rest of the time I use wifi and upload to Flickr. I also resize the pictures to a much smaller file size to save on upload time/data. I resize from 1mg to about 100k. The quality is still good enough for on here. At the end of the day when I do a recap I type it all up before logging on and select the pictures I am going to upload. Good luck and I am looking forward to your live report. :)

Bill

8535000644_4995f22f5b_o.jpg

One thing I did was pre-write some of the content. For example, I wrote a basic framework with the time the ship docked, the name of the port, what tour I had booked [if I had one] etc for each day. That way I had much less to type during the cruise. There were a couple of things I changed. but, mostly these things stayed the same. It saved me a lot of time.

That is such a great idea!!! I'm going to get started now - that way my cruise can last 4 weeks :-D

When I have data reception on my phone I upload postings and pictures through Tapatalk. The rest of the time I use wifi and upload to Flickr. I also resize the pictures to a much smaller file size to save on upload time/data. I resize from 1mg to about 100k. The quality is still good enough for on here. At the end of the day when I do a recap I type it all up before logging on and select the pictures I am going to upload. Good luck and I am looking forward to your live report. :)

Bill

8535000644_4995f22f5b_o.jpg

Beautiful picture, and thanks for the advice!

I was thinking about using my phone. With Tapatalk, does it embed the photo like you would with Flickr, or does it add an attachment?

For me, time is of the essence, so finding the best 'hot spot' is paramount.

Whilst you can access the internet from your room the signal was much better up in the 'Olive or Twist' on Freedom or one of the other traditional hot spots.

I write everything up before connecting so I can cut and paste and have the images I want to upload in a folder on the laptop. I use Photobucket to host the images. When I log in I start the upload and use that time to catch up with email etc and if I can I respond straight away to questions if I already know the answers.

Giving the board here a heads up that you will posting live will give you some questions straight away :)

ma4ezusa.jpg

Ahh I think I figured it out.

How did you do yours? I tried it once and it worked but ever since then they either don't show up or they are too small. I'm planning on doing a review of the Oasis and would like to do a live review but it will be a last min. decision if I do the live review. So, like you I would like to figure it out before I go. :)

This one was in Tapatalk for iPhone. When I clicked on the image button and selected the image, it gave two options - upload to "This Forum" or "Tapatalk Hosted." I chose Tapatalk Hosted, and then it posted correctly. The one above (the smaller photo of Majesty of the Seas) was uploaded to the forum as an attachment.

I suppose you could also use IMG tags and upload a photo to Flickr via your phone...

I think your picture needs to be a little larger though (addendum--- Note, they looked like postage stamp size when I first looked, but they look perfect now!) .... A good suggestion previously mentioned and I know some that post live write some of their content prior to embarking. I don't know if this is how you want to post live. Also, have a folder ready to go for your pictures. I also liked uploading to photobucket (or use what photo sharing site you are familiar with) takes notes, write your copy then log on and paste it into your cruise critic window to post. Are you going to be using your iPhone to post live?

Archived