Loyalty Scheme

Well! just heard from friends who have been on a Princess cruise and people they know belong to the 'Platinum' category re loyalty entitlement. They had 500 minutes free internet time on board (granted a 28 day cruise - but it would still be 250 minutes for a 14-night one). When they are eligible for the next level they will get complimentary laundry and ironing too!!!!!!

Now this is on account of far fewer days and cruises than we have done with Thomson! I'm not bothered about priority check-in, priority tendering etc or any kind of preferential treatment on board as I think that isn't the spirit of the friendly, all in it together kind of feel and atmosphere I know and love on Thomson but a few specific perks would be very nice. A few free botlles of wine, obc - anything!!

I knew loyalty schemes were out there but it's only when I checked this and see the benefits for considerably less customer loyalty on Princess than I have given Thomson that I realise just how much Thomson are letting their regular and loyal customers down. And it's not valid to say you pay a lot more on Princess to get these perks - our friends have now been on two Princess cruises having picked up real bargains at much less than they've paid for many Thomson cruises!

Come on Mr Ellacot - you really need to do something about this!

Well! just heard from friends who have been on a Princess cruise and people they know belong to the 'Platinum' category re loyalty entitlement. They had 500 minutes free internet time on board (granted a 28 day cruise - but it would still be 250 minutes for a 14-night one). When they are eligible for the next level they will get complimentary laundry and ironing too!!!!!!

Now this is on account of far fewer days and cruises than we have done with Thomson! I'm not bothered about priority check-in, priority tendering etc or any kind of preferential treatment on board as I think that isn't the spirit of the friendly, all in it together kind of feel and atmosphere I know and love on Thomson but a few specific perks would be very nice. A few free botlles of wine, obc - anything!!

I knew loyalty schemes were out there but it's only when I checked this and see the benefits for considerably less customer loyalty on Princess than I have given Thomson that I realise just how much Thomson are letting their regular and loyal customers down. And it's not valid to say you pay a lot more on Princess to get these perks - our friends have now been on two Princess cruises having picked up real bargains at much less than they've paid for many Thomson cruises!

Come on Mr Ellacot - you really need to do something about this!

I agree something small doesn't need to be much - reduced rates for the safe, bottle of wine in cabin when you first arrive, with some canapes perhaps.

I received an e-mail pre-launch of the new brochure. It was ''Your exclusive look at our cruises for summer 2014'' Also I had a discount code saving me £100 off a summer cruise 2014 as long as it was booked between 25th April and 25th May 2013

This code can be used when booking online, phone or shops (Thomson or First Choice)

I'm very pleased with the offer - looking at brochure in next few days

Ok! As I've just described above apparently I would now qualify for the 'Elite' category of the loyalty programme on Princess had I done all my Thomson cruises with Princess. What do I get from Thomson? Not even the £100 discount code with my brochure email!!! :mad: Yes - I got the brochure but guess what? I really don't feel inclined to look at it!

What is their idea of a perk? A lucky dip???????????

If i had cruised with P&O I would now be on the Mediterranean tier.

8.5% discount on onboard spend

5% previous cruiser discount

another 5% discount on peninsular club cruises

free glass of champers

cocktail party

free slippers.

by the end of this summer i would be on caribbean tier

10% off onboard spend

more champers

senior officer hosted event

dedicated check in

priority boarding

embarkation lounge aboard (free bites etc)

I received an email/several emails (no discount voucher) justthe usual spam!

so I have voted with my feet.... I am now booked upon the ventura for our family christmas this year...no more thoms for us (its not any cheaper on thoms at christmas/ny/school holidays anyway)

the dreamliner coming into service nearly swung it for thoms but I guess I may fly on it anyway to meet the p&o in caribbean

I have a current thoms booking in july on celebration and after that I'm guessing it will be other lines for the future (I dont mind paying a bit extra for a balcony/newer ship) and I could accumulate some 'cruise miles/perks/whatever?'

if thoms comes up with a good price, going where i want to go, then I may well book with them again? who knows? but thoms will have to stand out from the pack of other offerings

my mother in law is already booked on fred and aida with her sister this year ....these two ladies are retired and (trust me) they are always on one holiday or another (a substantial loss for thoms here imo) mil just was not at all enamoured with the noisy cabin she was allocated at new year, and the price she paid for it, a supposed plus cabin!

thoms went a 'no frills' too far! by implementing their ill advised duty free policy on me in the middle of my holiday and confiscating my local beers and purchases from the on board shop....thoms left me with a 6 pack of carib and a bottle of barcardi to cart home in my luggage that I didnt really want to do (that I wanted to enjoy in my cabin while on holiday!)....actually I left them for the steward...sounds petty i know but it was the final straw!

In march I paid for a plus cabin and got one of the few cabins with a cr*p bathroom that they had forgotten to refurbish?

at new year we were put in two noisy cabins next to the engines/or something? (another supposed plus cabin?)

OK, circumstances may have conspired against me but, I am beginning to wonder if this was just bad luck or wether I am just blindly flogging a dead horse?

drinks prices/ai steadily creeping up (so that we dont notice straight away!)

wildly differing drinks/ai/packages between the ships, getting so complicated that its impossible to make a decision (like gas/electricity tarifs!)

the lure of a platinum product that turns out to actually be a no frills product

free trips if you book onboard after being expressly informed that to book on line was the way to go......yeah! the best way to go for thoms....they can hang onto your money months in advance and ply you with the idea that you are doing the right thing..... then completely kick you in the teeth when you arrive to find other people on your tour (who booked on the ship) have got the same tour for free!!

I used to know exactly what to expect with thoms, but now, virtually anything can be changed at the drop of a hat (sometimes in the middle of your holiday!)

thomsons have chipped away at the very reasons I originally booked with them in the first place:

they charge me to sit with my family on the aircraft (I dont want my daughters sitting alone in the 4 corners of the aircraft with gary glitter!) so I have to pay extra

they ahve started popping extra sea days into their itineraries

cutting the production shows for singers...etc...etc

there is no reason to book specifically with thoms anymore.....I can get at least the same offering on virtually any other ship

so thoms?...is it no frills or platinum?....what is it to be?? (just so we know)

sadly

I guess I will be spending a little more time on the p&o boards

I agree that Thomson just does not offer anything distictive, for me at least. Which is why i decided to try a P&O fly cruise next May to the Adriatic and Italy. It is more expensive (£57 for a basic inside) but Ventura is somewhat newer than Majesty. I was dissapointed with the Majesty Aegean itinery as well as it only calls at one island.

so I have voted with my feet.... I am now booked upon the ventura for our family christmas this year...no more thoms for us (its not any cheaper on thoms at christmas/ny/school holidays anyway)

the dreamliner coming into service nearly swung it for thoms but I guess I may fly on it anyway to meet the p&o in caribbean

I have a current thoms booking in july on celebration and after that I'm guessing it will be other lines for the future (I dont mind paying a bit extra for a balcony/newer ship) and I could accumulate some 'cruise miles/perks/whatever?'

if thoms comes up with a good price, going where i want to go, then I may well book with them again? who knows? but thoms will have to stand out from the pack of other offerings

my mother in law is already booked on fred and aida with her sister this year ....these two ladies are retired and (trust me) they are always on one holiday or another (a substantial loss for thoms here imo) mil just was not at all enamoured with the noisy cabin she was allocated at new year, and the price she paid for it, a supposed plus cabin!

thoms went a 'no frills' too far! by implementing their ill advised duty free policy on me in the middle of my holiday and confiscating my local beers and purchases from the on board shop....thoms left me with a 6 pack of carib and a bottle of barcardi to cart home in my luggage that I didnt really want to do (that I wanted to enjoy in my cabin while on holiday!)....actually I left them for the steward...sounds petty i know but it was the final straw!

In march I paid for a plus cabin and got one of the few cabins with a cr*p bathroom that they had forgotten to refurbish?

at new year we were put in two noisy cabins next to the engines/or something? (another supposed plus cabin?)

OK, circumstances may have conspired against me but, I am beginning to wonder if this was just bad luck or wether I am just blindly flogging a dead horse?

wildly differing drinks/ai/packages between the ships, getting so complicated that its impossible to make a decision (like gas/electricity tarifs!)

the lure of a platinum product that turns out to actually be a no frills product

free trips if you book onboard after being expressly informed that to book on line was the way to go......yeah! the best way to go for thoms....they can hang onto your money months in advance and ply you with the idea that you are doing the right thing..... then completely kick you in the teeth when you arrive to find other people on your tour (who booked on the ship) have got the same tour for free!!

I used to know exactly what to expect with thoms, but now, virtually anything can be changed at the drop of a hat (sometimes in the middle of your holiday!)

thomsons have chipped away at the very reasons I originally booked with them in the first place:

they charge me to sit with my family on the aircraft (I dont want my daughters sitting alone in the 4 corners of the aircraft with gary glitter!) so I have to pay extra

there is no reason to book specifically with thoms anymore.....I can get at least the same offering on virtually any other ship

so thoms?...is it no frills or platinum?....what is it to be?? (just so we know)

sadly

Geo can not disagree with anything you have said. After having to cancel out my DD from our October cruise we are now looking at booking for 2014 and we are also considering jumping Ship to P & O for our family cruise next year.

I have had no emails offering me anything not even the brochure download admittedly I have only completed 2 cruises and have 2 booked, but after only completing a mini cruise with P & O are being offered incentives, which I will now be taking advantage of.

From the comments posted on here it seems that the feel of Thomson's has changed noticeably since my holiday last year. Will I cruise with Thomson again........ well we will see i hope the celebration lives up to my expectations,if not i think it will only be if the itinerary is knock out and price is right, I am not willing to turn a blind eye anymore.

sadly

This makes such depressing reading geomagot - but sentiments with which, very sadly, I must agree. :(

My DH said just yesterday that he used to have belief in Thomson - and thought perhaps they cared about their customers - or at least had a relationship with them that they valued if not cultivated. I felt the same but reluctantly am having to admit what seems to be increasingly evident. If this relationship wasn't an illusion it's very difficult to identify it's presence now - nothing in their current operation/moves indicates any loyalty to US!

I begin to wonder whether the thing which we related to was the magnificent crew and it was they who gave us the 'feel-good' factor with Thomson rather than the Company. Much as I love the crew, have many friends amongst them and will sorely miss them, like you geomagot I'm reluctantly coming to the same conclusion that a change is now due and it's definitely the case that I am more proactively exploring other providers.

We'll see what we make of P&O in June but their fly-cruises do put a different perspective on itineraries we would never have otherwise considered with them although the more sea days on P&O is an issue for me - but that may very soon disappear as a plus on Thomson too!

Sorry to hear you have debunked - but I do understand why - we are on that route too. I hope you enjoy your foray into pastures new and od let us know how the comparisons stack up. I hope to keep hearing from you - I'll so miss your contributions so don't dessert us totally! ;)

I begin to wonder whether the thing which we related to was the magnificent crew and it was they who gave us the 'feel-good' factor with Thomson rather than the Company. Much as I love the crew, have many friends amongst them and will sorely miss them, like you geomagot I'm reluctantly coming to the same conclusion that a change is now due and it's definitely the case that I am more proactively exploring other providers.

;)

I think you have hit the nail on the head, I will openly admit that my specs as far as Thomson are concerned are Rose coloured.

Doing my researches at the moment for next years booking, there are only a couple of plus points i can come up with at the moment Top of the list is the crew, then smaller ships....but only the crew is unique to Thomson's everything else i can get elsewhere.

Oh one factor i forgot was that the passengers themselves a really nice mix and friendly bunch, which i think adds as much to the experience as anything else :)

Oh one factor i forgot was that the passengers themselves a really nice mix and friendly bunch, which i think adds as much to the experience as anything else :)

You are so right topsey - I overlooked that but it is very important to us too. That is perhaps the one thing I have reservations about going on P&O but that may be very misplaced.

I can't abide it when the first thing people ask are the kind of questions such as what cabin you're in, what you do, how many cruises you have done. They always strike me as the kind of questions people pose to make judgements about you and it's not something I like as it's so superficial (and usually asked by people who want to feel superior). It's what kind of person you are which matters!

I much prefer to chat to people and decide whether they are friendly and are good company and that's all I need to know - of course you do often get to know more about people as time goes on - but not by means of introduction! Fortunately we've not met much of that on Thomson - and when we have it's often been from people who are frequent cruisers but not been on Thomson before!

As you can imagine I'll be making judgements of my own based on that kind of thing. :rolleyes: I admit to having some slight preconceptions but I could be totally wrong in which case I'll be the first to hold my hands up and of course I'll let you know! ;)

yep...I will certainly miss the fabulous crew and definitely our fellow passengers....thats the worst part for us

I haven’t wanted to go down this route and it hasn’t been a snap decision (but time is running out and booking deadlines have caught up with us....there’s 6 of us)

I haven’t disembarked thoms completely...i am holding out for celebration in july (haven’t been on celebration) I hope against hope that I can keep my thomsons rose coloured lenses…I am hoping against hope that they haven’t tinkered with celebration in the same way they have with dream…I am hoping against hope that I will luv it in the same way as I have always loved thoms up till now

however

I need to get into the mode of looking forward to my p&o foray this christmas and rest assured guys, there will be a massive comparison/autopsy made after (its virtually the same itinerary as dream)

I am so sad reading these last few posts. I cannot disagree with a single thing that has been said and I would have to say if people like you folks are considering leaving Thomson then they are not for me either.

As far as I can see, Thomson are now putting themselves in a position where they are selling an inferior product at a high price in a very competitive industry. Another person on FB today, who has 15 Thomson cruises behind her, has just booked Carnival to the Baltics with 40% off.

We have to give serious consideration to our Dream holiday next year.

I e mailed customer care 8 days ago about that and am still awaiting a reply to my query.

I have not received any e mail from Thomson, never mind a loyalty bonus. It comes as no surprise that they cannot administer this properly as their entire administration is shambolic and yes, Jim, you were right, no reply from my TA either.

Right now Thomson are doing a fine job at losing loyal customers.

I am so sad reading these last few posts. I cannot disagree with a single thing that has been said and I would have to say if people like you folks are considering leaving Thomson then they are not for me either.

As far as I can see, Thomson are now putting themselves in a position where they are selling an inferior product at a high price in a very competitive industry. Another person on FB today, who has 15 Thomson cruises behind her, has just booked Carnival to the Baltics with 40% off.

We have to give serious consideration to our Dream holiday next year.

I e mailed customer care 8 days ago about that and am still awaiting a reply to my query.

I have not received any e mail from Thomson, never mind a loyalty bonus. It comes as no surprise that they cannot administer this properly as their entire administration is shambolic and yes, Jim, you were right, no reply from my TA either.

Right now Thomson are doing a fine job at losing loyal customers.

really sad. i just booked a fjords next july and a western med next september, both on P&O Oceana which is my second favourite ship after the old Destiny.

I sort of feel guilty at deserting Thomson as they introduced me to cruising.

really sad. i just booked a fjords next july and a western med next september, both on P&O Oceana which is my second favourite ship after the old Destiny.

I sort of feel guilty at deserting Thomson as they introduced me to cruising.

Same here Dave, have just booked a 4 day/3 nighter in July on Oceana (first time looking forward to this) and it looks like fly cruise for next September on Ventura as at the moment this is coming in the better deal, especially as we will have young children with us and P & O offer a night nursery.....DD would like to have one meal at least in peace :)

Well I'm like geomagot - I still have a soft spot for Thomson and really don't want to desert them. And we'll hopefully still find something to entice us because the warmth and friendliness of Thomson is something I really value. I'd even accept the lack of a loyalty scheme too provided.....

- they are competitive

- they don't reduce the number of production shows further

- they don't reduce the number of port days

- they stop tinkering around with AI/drinks/charging policies etc which are designed to save them money and really upset their customers

The right deal would still be an attraction and I must say they do have a few itineraries I find very appealing but their prices are very high in some instances - it's ridiculous for them to price themselves so highly against other cruise lines which clearly have more to offer in terms of their ships.

But at the moment I feel they need to consider their business model very carefully and remember their lack of loyalty to us may well rebound in our lack of continuing loyalty to them!

I also agree with all that has been said in the last few posts.

Until today I had no idea how many cruises we had done since 1989 but have discovered that it is 20 plus 3 Nile cruises. 2 Airtours and 3 Ocean Village ranging between 14 and 33 days. 15 Thomson ranging between 14 and 21 days.

We are off in just over 4 weeks on Celebration for 14 days and then Island Escape in September for another 14 (if we decide to pay the balance or lose our deposit when we get home depending on our experience on the Celebration).

Our quandary is that we are booked for April 2014 on the Dream for 27 nights. Do we pay the balance of just under £5,000 in January or cut our losses and lose our deposit. On top of the balance we have a decision to make about taking the train or driving a 600 mile round trip to Manchester plus at least one overnight stay and also 4 weeks parking.

Decisions decisions. Do Thomson get our money or do we bite the bullet and take the long haul to Southampton by train with no worries about luggage but more sea days and "dressy up" nights.:confused:

Also, I have never ever had a phone call, email or circular in all my time dealing with Thomson. They will shortly be getting a phone call as I see others have got their etickets for dates later than ours next month.:eek:

Just been catching up on this post and it is a really sad read, but I echo everything that everyone has put.

My first ever cruise was with Thomson, and I've been loyal to them ever since, but I now get the impression that this loyalty isn't going both ways - they've given me nothing back.

In the past I've always defended Thomson. People have sometimes looked down on them, thought of them as being 'no-frills', not a proper cruise liner, with run down boats and everything done on the cheap. Even though perhaps some things that they said were slightly correct, I always defended them, and said that yes, the ships might be older, but the service you get from the staff is outstanding, and they are so friendly. The atmosphere onboard is great, not stuffy but not completely informal either - the perfect balance. Itineraries are port-intensive and interesting, the ships have everything you need, and fellow passengers are friendly, not snobbish, and you can always rely on having a great cruise. Plus, with flights with their own airline and transfers included, you don't need to worry about anything, and having tips included is a big bonus.

But now, I think things are changing, or lack of changes in some areas. Over the past couple of years I think Thomson have been slow to update themselves, and when they have tried it usually works out badly. I think things started to change for the worse about a year ago with the whole Majesty change debacle and how close it was to cruises. You kind of got the feeling that it wasn't passengers interest that was put first, as if it was why wasn't it done sooner. Even with the problems Thomson Dream first had when it started in 2010, I still stuck by Thomson and not let it worry me, and I glad I did, look at the turnaround they've managed to do on the Dream!

Since then, we've had the 'Platinum' refurb, which was completely over-hyped and just lead to disappointment, the changes in AI that mean the drinks package is now so expensive how they have the nerve to charge the full price for such a decreased AI offering I don't know. Then there's alcohol being taken off you when boarding the ships, let's face it, ships that need a major refurb or a complete replacement, and more sea days in a 7 night cruise, and I just don't think the friendly atmosphere and staff on board are enough anymore to entice me to Thomson.

Usually about this time, I'm busy looking at next years cruises, and it was simple. Look at the new Thomson Cruises brochure, see what is new, what is similar, and book. However, for next year only Adriatic Explorer and Best of the Black Sea is really enticing me. Adriatic was my favourite ever cruise, and would love to redo it, but on Majesty, I'm not sure. Plus, they're charging £3,804 for a two week cruise on Majesty, Adriatic & Aegean with only an Inside Plus cabin, ridiculous price, especially on a ship that clearly isn't perfect! And Best of the Black Sea, yes the itinerary does seem great, but only one date in the full season doesn't really give me much choice does it, and I can't really do October, so where does that leave me. Well, looking elsewhere. P&O or Celebrity I think.

The past year, these boards have centred around a lot of complaints from people about how Thomson have been operating i.e. get as much money out of you as possible, treat you as just another passenger and give you nothing back in return. I remember reading this forum many years before taking the plunge and joining it, and yes, there was always some issues, but these were always overlooked, as overall you got the feeling that Thomson cared about giving you a great cruise, and that they did.

But, when there's clear fans and loyal Thomson cruisers like Kruzseeka, Dave and Skioncruises who I've been reading posts for years on this forum saying that it is time now to look elsewhere, it really is a sad time. But, I think they speak for us all. When there's loyal Thomson cruisers like us lot on here looking at or all ready abandoning Thomson, what is everyone else doing?

As I say, I have always defended Thomson, and there are still things about them that I like, but there now charging a premium price for a 'no-frills' product, and I think it is time for me to look elsewhere. I'm not saying it is goodbye Thomson for good, far from it. A sad day though, as I've always enjoyed cruising with Thomson. :(

If i had cruised with P&O I would now be on the Mediterranean tier.

8.5% discount on onboard spend

5% previous cruiser discount

another 5% discount on peninsular club cruises

free glass of champers

cocktail party

free slippers.

by the end of this summer i would be on caribbean tier

10% off onboard spend

more champers

senior officer hosted event

dedicated check in

priority boarding

embarkation lounge aboard (free bites etc)

Yep! Just done the calculation - we'd be on the Caribbean tier too - and the Baltic level within that! Must say the only thing which particularly interests me though is the 10% - I'm not bothered about priority anything but a tangible saving is certainly some recognition of your loyalty which I would appreciate.

I've just been thinking about the customer satisfaction form you fill in at the end of the holiday when it asks 'Did we recognise you as a repeat customer?' I've always answered 'Yes' because the crew do - and make a fuss of people they recognise but in fact as a company the answer is really a resounding 'No'! Thomson do nothing to acknowledge you as a loyal customer at all!

I have been on 5 Thomson cruises since 2009 and have 3 booked for this year. As I am an early booker I have been looking into next years cruises. I was disappointed to hear that some people have received a discount code and that I have not. I emailed Thomson and this was the reply from Becci

"The emails being sent by Thomson Cruises are just one of the ways we're rewarding and recognising our previous customers who have recently returned from a cruise with us. We're currently exploring different ways we can recognise our customers .

Just because someone hasn't received something from us at this time, doesn't mean they won't at a later date."

Imo this is a pile of BS and I am planning on jumping ship to P&O at least they recongise customer loyalty

I have been on 5 Thomson cruises since 2009 and have 3 booked for this year. As I am an early booker I have been looking into next years cruises. I was disappointed to hear that some people have received a discount code and that I have not. I emailed Thomson and this was the reply from Becci

"The emails being sent by Thomson Cruises are just one of the ways we're rewarding and recognising our previous customers who have recently returned from a cruise with us. We're currently exploring different ways we can recognise our customers .

Just because someone hasn't received something from us at this time, doesn't mean they won't at a later date."

Imo this is a pile of BS and I am planning on jumping ship to P&O at least they recongise customer loyalty[/quo

Another cracking example of appalling PR :eek:

It is high time someone was made accountable for this mismanagement.

Archived