Bring your Manners with you/mini review 4/7 magic

bobar

I'm very polite and gracious. I hold doors for women and men. I say "you're welcome' to them, even if they do not acknowledge my holding the door for them. I know to stand out of the way of the elevator door so that that the people on the lift may exit. I know that shoving your way past a person in a wheelchair that was ahead of you is rude and the elevator won't move until that fool gets clear so the wheelchair can get onto the lift. Tripping on a rug a rug and spilling beer is just one of life's accidents. I a;ways follow up with a 'so very sorry'.

Why would you delay an entire elevator full of innocent people just to try to show up one jerk? :confused:

Plus with jerks being jerks....it sounds like a good way to get one's nose punched. Not worth it to me.

I can assure you that your judgement is not impacting the person cursing in any manner. It's just words. Who exactly decided they were "bad" words? In other cultures they aren't. Your judgement really means nothing. If it bothers you move your child, grandparent, whomever...You don't control the world. Your rights end where another's begin.

It's the same with smoking, drinking...any other behavior. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I can let it bother me or I can over look it. If it impacts me, then I will say something other wise why get riled up?

Sorry to be a nit-picker, but technically smoking and drinking are not "behaviors", they can be (and usually are) addictions, and they absolutely affect other people. There's a proven record of people getting lung cancer from second hand smoke. I'm just allergic. And drinking? Alcoholism is so common, most people drinkers are in denial about being alcoholics. Drinking in moderation can be a health benefit, but many cannot stop at just one drink.

Yeah, I cuss sometimes, but it's usually around people who know me very well; I am very careful to edit myself in public, whether I'm on vacation or just shopping and running errands around town. Some people say why cuss, it's not classy, it's not necessary, etc....but I am an adult and sometimes a blue word is appropriate!

My impression is that most of those who are overheard cussing in public with families in earshot are either very young and/or inebriated. But there are always those who just figure they can do whatever they want when they're on vacation..........

Peace out!

It's ok, you can nitpick but I'm a social drinker and can assure you it's a behavior, NOT an addiction. While many smokers are addicted and some drinkers may be I find the analogy weak.

My point is simple you CAN'T control others. If I choose to use a curse word in front of your child there is really not a lot you can do about other than ask me not to do so or become confrontational. Your judgement isn't accomplishing much...capiche?

I find it troubling that others want to force their moral codes and standards onto others. Such as the comment about being church goers.

It's ok, you can nitpick but I'm a social drinker and can assure you it's a behavior, NOT an addiction. While many smokers are addicted and some drinkers may be I find the analogy weak.

My point is simple you CAN'T control others. If I choose to use a curse word in front of your child there is really not a lot you can do about other than ask me not to do so or become confrontational. Your judgement isn't accomplishing much...capiche?

I find it troubling that others want to force their moral codes and standards onto others. Such as the comment about being church goers.

I understand, I am a social drinker too; I generally only drink on vacation and then I still don't go overboard. But I was naïve about alcoholism until I married an alcoholic, and rare is the person who is a social smoker and has less than a pack a week; most people who smoke cigarettes are very addicted. And yes, I was one of those, but I quit in 1987. Because of my experience, I don't find the analogy weak at all, but we have a right to our points of view.

I completely agree and understand that we can't control others, and we wouldn't want others to control us! I would love it if everything could be fair and nice and polite but not everyone agrees as to what that means. I actually enjoy it when people are sarcastic in a funny way (not in a mean way), but some people HATE that!

No judgement from me.............people are just venting, it's a tradition on CC..........

DaDiva, the quote you posted is one of my all-time favorites.........mind if I "friend" you?

1. If your children are running and shrieking like banshees in my presence, they are ruining my cruise. Control 'em or take 'em elsewhere.

2. I don't cut in front of others but I will take an elevator whenever I please. Being in a wheelchair does not make you better than anyone else and you have no idea what kind of physical impairments an apparently able-bodied person might actually have.

I understand your first point 100%.

Second point kind of moot. I believe the original poster was referring to "actual" able bodied persons cutting in line in front of an obviously disabled person. Thats just rude in any circumstance able bodied or not. Wait your turn!!! Otherwise take the elevator :)

Glad you had a great time and the Magic is a fabulous ship - we loved her! It's amazing how rude some folks can be and how they feel completely entitled to act as such just because they're on vacation....well, so are other people - be respectful, please.

PLEASE & THANK YOU go a long way....oh, and a smile :-) more folks should keep that in mind!

But sadly they are like that in real life too not just on vacation :)

I will sit at dinner and say please and thank you for them till hopefully they get the message else rather not sit with them!!!!!

" If people swearing bothers you, go elsewhere. "

This is your answer to someone who doesn't like to hear others swearing? Just go elswhere? Like overboard, I guess. Whatever happened to being mindful of others around you? On a cruise ship it isn't like changing the tv channels to get rid of the garbarge coming out of people's mouths. All of us have a right to enjoy our vacation without listening to a bunch of foul-mouthed, profanity-prone people who only think of themselves. Instead of controlling their language we should just leave? Really!

I totally disagree with this mentality of "go elswhere". That's the most ridiculous thing I have seen on these boards.

My oponion is that there are rude people everywhere. We did not take our son (with an intellectual disability) on cruises until he was mature enough to handle the lines, the language, the rudeness, etc. It is part of life! He is 20 now and he thinks it's hysterical the way people scream and yell and get ticked off over nothing....like a line for a buffet or elevator. We always have a good laugh at their expense. Of course we are respectful of the disabled, it just comes naturally to us.

" If people swearing bothers you, go elsewhere. "

This is your answer to someone who doesn't like to hear others swearing? Just go elswhere? Like overboard, I guess. Whatever happened to being mindful of others around you? On a cruise ship it isn't like changing the tv channels to get rid of the garbarge coming out of people's mouths. All of us have a right to enjoy our vacation without listening to a bunch of foul-mouthed, profanity-prone people who only think of themselves. Instead of controlling their language we should just leave? Really!

I totally disagree with this mentality of "go elswhere". That's the most ridiculous thing I have seen on these boards.

I think the point was that while you make not like that someone swears in public, the fact is you can't control what other people are doing. You can complain or tell them they are inconsiderate but that probably isn't going to change their behavior. And that if you are around someone who is swearing excessively and it is bothering you the only thing you can do is leave the area.

Its not what I deem appropriate it is common sense and in many places the law. It is sad that people have to be told not to drop F bombs in public where children and grandparents are....in public during the day in family areas. I will never accept it and will continue to think that people who think it is acceptable to do so are Rude, Crude, and socially unacceptable. I will judge and look down on them and have no problem doing so. If I ever get to the point that I think it is perfectly normal....well then shame on me.

I agree and it's why I haven't cruised Carnival in 8 years, my kids were 7 and 10 and there was a large group of adults at the pool bar everyday swearing, throwing stuff and loud making it just unpleasant. I didn't say I would never cruise Carnival again and I am booked on a Med cruise next month for DD's graduation. I have never had a problem with kids on crruises just rude drunk crude adults.

to the person that asked me if it happened on the MAgic. yes and quite often or I wouldn't have mentioned it. but in general the last 4 or 5 of the 66 cruises I have been on I have seen more and more of it..and not all on carnival. guess society is changing again. I will continue to cruise and have a good time despite other peoples behavior just was hoping people would become more civil after all a cruise ship is confined quarters and your actions effect people more than at other vacation destinations where peole are free to leave or change surroundings..

we are looking forward to our 8/11 Magic cruise and know with 3500 different passengers than this last one and a good attitude it can be better.

peace and yall be good to each other:cool:

I love kids and they should have fun. It's parents who give up all parenting when cruising that annoy me.

Some of the worst behavior I've seen on board came from those in wheelchairs or the people with them.

Just because you've convinced somebody you should have a scooter doesn't mean you and your entire clan

should get to push your way to the front of every line. Wait your turn.

This doesn't mean that ships should should not accommodate those in wheelchairs.

This one of the main reasons why I don't want to go to Disney ever again. Last time we were there, we were waiting in line for the shuttle buses with one child asleep in a stroller and the other asleep on my shoulder. 3 buses came and went and we were finally at the front of the line. Yay! Next bus I can sit down. Wrong. Guy in a scooter with his entire extended family gets to go to the front of the line. They basically filled all the seats on the bus and there I was standing again. Best part was that the scooter guy wheeled up to the bus, got off the scooter and ambled on up the stairs with no difficulty.

Maybe next time in Disney I will have a scooter and get to go to the front of all the lines.:cool:

. be nicer to the crew members and they will probably be nicer to you

Agree. Snapping your fingers, whistling and tapping the bar are not going to get the attention of the bartender. She is not a dog coming at your command. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1. If your children are running and shrieking like banshees in my presence, they are ruining my cruise. Control 'em or take 'em elsewhere.

2. I don't cut in front of others but I will take an elevator whenever I please. Being in a wheelchair does not make you better than anyone else and you have no idea what kind of physical impairments an apparently able-bodied person might actually have.

How rude, my husband was in a wheelchair on our last cruise, his last because he passed away last June from ALS. No being in a wheelchair does not make someone better than you. In that person's eyes it makes them less of a person than you. You should at least give that person respect and allow them to go ahead of you, but I guess that makes them better than you. Believe me, my husband had much rather had been standing on his own two feet in order to step back and allow such rude people go go ahead on the elevator. During the muster drill the crew instructed my husband to be in the front of the group for our muster station, but the rude able bodied people would step in front of him and expect him to move back no matter what the crew would say to them. I hope you never have to experience life in a wheelchair....

How rude, my husband was in a wheelchair on our last cruise, his last because he passed away last June from ALS. No being in a wheelchair does not make someone better than you. In that person's eyes it makes them less of a person than you. You should at least give that person respect and allow them to go ahead of you, but I guess that makes them better than you. Believe me, my husband had much rather had been standing on his own two feet in order to step back and allow such rude people go go ahead on the elevator. During the muster drill the crew instructed my husband to be in the front of the group for our muster station, but the rude able bodied people would step in front of him and expect him to move back no matter what the crew would say to them. I hope you never have to experience life in a wheelchair....

I don't mean to sound "rude", but why should a person in a wheelchair be allowed to get ahead of someone who has been waiting?

The person 'standing' and waiting may have their own issues to deal with, they may just not be obvious.

I don't mean to sound "rude", but why should a person in a wheelchair be allowed to get ahead of someone who has been waiting?

The person 'standing' and waiting may have their own issues to deal with, they may just not be obvious.

Like .

I was just going to reply with the same thing :)

This is sort of off topic but it's a "what would you do" question. Myself and seven family members were having breakfast the last morning of our cruise. There was a table next to us with a family of three..mom, dad, and their young teenage son. Apparently the son had called the dad a name..it was nothing all that terrible. This father was berating his son..dropping the f-bomb and calling him worthless..etc. This went on for quite awhile. Another table next to us also witnessed it. The wife sat there and didn't seem to say much and the boy never let out a peep.

We wanted to get up and say something but thought it might make the situation worse for the boy. We all got up and left..saying a few loud comments as we did so. The other table who also witnessed this got up and left. So..what would all of you have done? Thanks for reading this.

I don't fit into either category and yet agree with the OP.

Kids will be kids, so long as they aren't super obnoxious or cursing, let em have fun.

And I will typically take the stairs whenever possible in most circumstances anyway. A lot of you are saying "well what if they have 'hidden' problems", and while there is some truth to that, I would argue that its only a small fraction of a cruise's population that has those hidden problems. Not every single person has to let every old or disabled person go first, but if we all made small gestures throughout the day, things would go smoother and be happier. Because lets be honest, many people are fairly rude and entitled, and do cut in front of the disabled and the elderly. So, just do your part, and more importantly, go with the flow, you are on vacation! :D

The decline in common courtesy. It's sad. Because of cancer related spine issues I did for a time need to use a scooter in the grocery stores. Most people were very accommodating, but there was a percentage that seemed to take offense at my very presence, sneers or grimaces, purposely blocking the aisle with their cart on one side while they considered a product on the other to the point where all I could do was back up. Seems there are a few of those on here.

We still hold doors open, make way for those who need a little extra, say please and thank you. Civility and common courtesy just make everything so much more pleasant for all of us.

Can't wait to get on the Magic for my birthday cruise. Every birthday is a gift now.

Several years ago I had to have a large area of my ankle removed die to melanoma. Due to the location of the area removed (right in the inside bend of ankle) I had to go for around 6-8 with now weight on my ankle and another 3-4 weeks with moderate weight. Around the house and where it was short walks, I used crutches, but when going to the grocery store or somewhere like that, I used one of their 'scooter wheelchairs'. There were several different trips when I had people snarl at me for being in it and blocking half the aisles. I even had a couple of people have the nerve to come to me and say 'You do not need that, why don't you save it for someone who does'. Now, mind you, my right leg was wrapped in a cast from the start of my toes up to the bottom of my knee, and my daughter or husband pushing a cart behind me with crutches sticking up our of it. My solution for the buggy on one side while someone looks at the other side of the aisle, I pushed the buggy out of the way with the cart. If the person said something, I simply replied, you are not the only one shopping here and I should not have to back up and go all the way around to come in the other side just because you are rude and don't want to leave room for people to come through. As for the people that wanted to make snide comments about why I was using it, I just whipped out my phone and showed them the pic of my ankle a few days after surgery, when I had to change bandages, and told them that when their ankle looks like that, then come see me about not needing the scooter.

As a result of how I was treated and disprected during that surgery, I no longer have the patience for rude people. I, myself, am not rude unless someone is rude to me first, then I give it right back.

So I just saw this new thread and made me think of the folks on this thread talking about the entitled attitude of those in wheelchairs.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1829470

With that being said, I don't think the OP meant for this thread to turn into a sparring match about who can/can't do things. I believe in this day and age when manners and appropriate behaviors are no longer the norm, when we witness injustice or something unfair, we want to talk about it.

I've seen people shove aside or cut in front of seniors in wheelchairs that were waiting a really long time for an available elevator...and it's hurtful.

Yes, respect your elders is not a phrase many young folks know or practice anymore.

Perhaps the OP made a comment about children are humans too because there was someone that made his kids feel bad. I don't know.

I do see a lot of bashing here on CC. We should let people be able to express their frustration without fearing that they will be put down for it. We don't all agree, and that's why I think this cruising world is so fun. We all come from all over to enjoy the same thing...cruising. :)

I appreciate and practice using manners. In a public setting it is so much easier to be nice first then if that doesn't work you can be less nice...

If you start off as a jerk, there's nowhere to go. :D

Like...Two years ago I was in a wheelchair due to a broken ankle. One night I waited for no less than six elevators before someone let me in. People would run in front of my wheelchair to get in..

Archived