Bring your Manners with you/mini review 4/7 magic

bobar

One of my biggest pet peeves is that people think that just because someone can walk, that they have no issues. While I do agree that people could stand to be more polite with elevators there is no reason that an able bodied person should not take the elevator if they so chose.

'

You said the magic word "CHOSE"

Able bodied have a choice..elevator or stairs..wheelchair bound have no choice.

As someone in a wheelchair I NEVER expect people to move for me or get off the elevator for me I DO EXPECT ABLED Bodies to wait their turns just like I DO..except since AB KNOW they can hop around me they have a tendency to hop into the elevator before I can even get my chair moving......

You know,,,, if I could turn back the clock and WALK..I would walk till my legs fell off.. I miss it..i miss running up the stairs..i miss walking and holding my husbands hand..i miss being able to putt putt golf (I have yet been able to get to the putt putt golf on Carnival..it is un-accessible)

If I had to do it a over I WOULD CHOSE..to walk

Ok with regards to the children...I have two children 2 and 6...and I paid my hard earned money just as much as the person next to me so they have EVERY right to be there..BUT with that being said my kid isn't gonna run around like a jackas* and ruin my vacation or someone else's...I think children have a right to be there as much as anyone else...I have never had anyone complain about my kids on any of the cruises I've taken...they know if there gonna act up....there gonna be happily sitting their behind in the cabin staring at the wall...We go out to eat as a family at home and I won't think twice about leaving a restaurant if they act up...so same rules go on vacation...But when my kids are playing chess on the big chess board or laughing outside in the pool and splashing (in the kid pool) thats where they can be kids if people don't like it go to an all adult line...

I was on this same cruise and I am working on my own review...but I saw this and want to give my 2 cents worth.

2 things bothered me...one was the fact that kids - ages 7 and above were running around w/ no parental supervision. Knocking people over and running into others. I agree that kids are kids and should be able to act like kids, but when YOUR child is in danger of injuring itself or me, then I might not act as pleasant as you would like. The other thing also dealt with elevators. I realize that everyone wants to ride the elevators. However, allowing those off the elevators instead of trying to push your way on...allows space for others. I had to finally tell some one who insisted upon getting onto one of the Atrium elevators that she had to let me off, in order for her to get on. I saw that over and over. And just because some one looks "able bodied", does not mean they are. There are several hidden disabilities and no one should have to take the stairs unless they want to. My friend chose to take the stairs, as he did not have the patience that I have. But I will say this...my patience with children running around and I do mean the physical act of running and the behavior of those getting on elevators was tested.

If I'm around when someone plows past a wheelchaor to get on an elevator, well....that elevator ain't moving until the lout gets outta the chair's way.

Polite goes a long way. Rude gets a beer spilled onto them.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Hopefully you're just a big talker or you're going to get yourself thrown off the ship :rolleyes:

'

You said the magic word "CHOSE"

Able bodied have a choice..elevator or stairs..wheelchair bound have no choice.

As someone in a wheelchair I NEVER expect people to move for me or get off the elevator for me I DO EXPECT ABLED Bodies to wait their turns just like I DO..except since AB KNOW they can hop around me they have a tendency to hop into the elevator before I can even get my chair moving......

You know,,,, if I could turn back the clock and WALK..I would walk till my legs fell off.. I miss it..i miss running up the stairs..i miss walking and holding my husbands hand..i miss being able to putt putt golf (I have yet been able to get to the putt putt golf on Carnival..it is un-accessible)

If I had to do it a over I WOULD CHOSE..to walk

I don't really get your point.

The elevators are there for everyone to use regardless of mobility. And yes everyone should wait their turn. While I am able to walk I was in a wheelchair on my last cruise due to a permanent medical issue so I do know how frustrating the elevator situation can be. However I also know I can't control what others do or how they act in a public situation.

I was on this same cruise and I am working on my own review...but I saw this and want to give my 2 cents worth.

2 things bothered me...one was the fact that kids - ages 7 and above were running around w/ no parental supervision. Knocking people over and running into others. I agree that kids are kids and should be able to act like kids, but when YOUR child is in danger of injuring itself or me, then I might not act as pleasant as you would like. The other thing also dealt with elevators. I realize that everyone wants to ride the elevators. However, allowing those off the elevators instead of trying to push your way on...allows space for others. I had to finally tell some one who insisted upon getting onto one of the Atrium elevators that she had to let me off, in order for her to get on. I saw that over and over. And just because some one looks "able bodied", does not mean they are. There are several hidden disabilities and no one should have to take the stairs unless they want to. My friend chose to take the stairs, as he did not have the patience that I have. But I will say this...my patience with children running around and I do mean the physical act of running and the behavior of those getting on elevators was tested.

Looking forward to reading you review! We sail on the Magic next month!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Hopefully you're just a big talker or you're going to get yourself thrown off the ship :rolleyes:

I'm very polite and gracious. I hold doors for women and men. I say "you're welcome' to them, even if they do not acknowledge my holding the door for them. I know to stand out of the way of the elevator door so that that the people on the lift may exit. I know that shoving your way past a person in a wheelchair that was ahead of you is rude and the elevator won't move until that fool gets clear so the wheelchair can get onto the lift. Tripping on a rug a rug and spilling beer is just one of life's accidents. I a;ways follow up with a 'so very sorry'.

When on a ship with 3000 other people from all over the globe, different nationalities and upbringings, you can't expect that everyone is going to act the way you deem appropriate. You either have to deal with the fact you may see and hear things you don't like or find a different type of vacation.

Its not what I deem appropriate it is common sense and in many places the law. It is sad that people have to be told not to drop F bombs in public where children and grandparents are....in public during the day in family areas. I will never accept it and will continue to think that people who think it is acceptable to do so are Rude, Crude, and socially unacceptable. I will judge and look down on them and have no problem doing so. If I ever get to the point that I think it is perfectly normal....well then shame on me.

Great points!! I fully agree with you. I have seen numerous guests in wheelchairs/strollers/electric scooters go full speed through a crowd injuring those in their way. I have also been smashed in an elevator by strollers/wheelchairs even though we all gave them time to board first. As for the "kids being kids" it's a horrible excuse. They do ruin cruises for others who've paid thousands for a nice vacation. My parents didn't take me on a cruise until I was old enough to stay under control/calm.

I have a family member in a wheelchair and am very careful about not "running over" other guests. Sadly most don't care and act like they ALWAYS should be first, no matter what the situation or length of line.

It should be *equal* access, not superior.

I find the kids thing interesting and absolutely valid. On our first cruise my son was 7 and what I consider very well behaved. BUT, with that said, he had a complete and total meltdown on the 4th day of our cruise. He had never ever behaved that way before or since. The excitement of the trip, the changes in sleep patterns, the stimulation, the heat......I can only guess. Luckily we were on the open air deck, he began crying and couldn't stop. Not screaming, but I can imagine if I hadn't gotten him to our cabin it may have escalated. He cried while I rocked him for about 10 minutes and fell asleep. I felt horrible for him and wished I had realized he was out of sorts earlier. I don't think he bothered anyone, and I asked our neighbors the next morning if they heard him crying and they were out and about so they didn't hear a thing. If I hadn't stopped what I was doing and realized I needed to hands on parent and stay in the cabin for the rest of the day and night and just let him sleep and chill......then I feel I wouldn't have been doing my job. If I had forced the issue or made him have more "fun" I think it may have become ugly. I wonder if that isn't a bit of what happens on cruises. Everyone is having fun, the schedule is blown, there is stimulation everywhere and normally well behaved kids are out of control...not because they aren't usually, but because the situation is so different? Since then I always make sure to schedule nothing time, relaxing time, cuddle and read time in the middle of our vacations. It helps. I also don't assume that every kid that is crying is horrible. Sometimes crying may be the only way they can get their message across that they have had enough.

We were on The Magic several weeks ago. Our DD was 17 when we took our 1st cruise but she would have never been turned loose at 7 or 8 years old to run wild. We were amazed at the kids running unsupervised. But it wasn't just that, adults were rude also. Walking side by side in the halls & just looking at you when you had to stop because you couldn't get by. Cutting in lines all over.

We were visiting with our room steward in the hall when a man walked up "are you our guy??" his tone was flat rude. The employees work hard & a kind word or smile goes a long way.

Common courtesy seems to be a lost art.

I find the kids thing interesting and absolutely valid. On our first cruise my son was 7 and what I consider very well behaved. BUT, with that said, he had a complete and total meltdown on the 4th day of our cruise. He had never ever behaved that way before or since. The excitement of the trip, the changes in sleep patterns, the stimulation, the heat......I can only guess. Luckily we were on the open air deck, he began crying and couldn't stop. Not screaming, but I can imagine if I hadn't gotten him to our cabin it may have escalated. He cried while I rocked him for about 10 minutes and fell asleep. I felt horrible for him and wished I had realized he was out of sorts earlier. I don't think he bothered anyone, and I asked our neighbors the next morning if they heard him crying and they were out and about so they didn't hear a thing. If I hadn't stopped what I was doing and realized I needed to hands on parent and stay in the cabin for the rest of the day and night and just let him sleep and chill......then I feel I wouldn't have been doing my job. If I had forced the issue or made him have more "fun" I think it may have become ugly. I wonder if that isn't a bit of what happens on cruises. Everyone is having fun, the schedule is blown, there is stimulation everywhere and normally well behaved kids are out of control...not because they aren't usually, but because the situation is so different? Since then I always make sure to schedule nothing time, relaxing time, cuddle and read time in the middle of our vacations. It helps. I also don't assume that every kid that is crying is horrible. Sometimes crying may be the only way they can get their message across that they have had enough.

Hello!

You sound like a great parent. It's nice to hear that you tried to put yourself in your child's shoes and understand how best to help him.

It also sounds like you were concerned about fellow passengers and how your child's behavior was affecting them.

Now THAT is courtesy!

I love kids and they should have fun. It's parents who give up all parenting when cruising that annoy me.

Some of the worst behavior I've seen on board came from those in wheelchairs or the people with them.

Just because you've convinced somebody you should have a scooter doesn't mean you and your entire clan

should get to push your way to the front of every line. Wait your turn.

This doesn't mean that ships should should not accommodate those in wheelchairs.

My pet peeve is the stroller n.a.z.i.'s.......but it seems like more of a problem at home than on a cruise. A lot of parents have a "me first, I have a baby" attitude. Not saying it's everyone! OK, and groups of people who stop in the middle of the aisle.........hello? We need blinkers and passing lanes! :D

In my mind, we all need to take turns, no matter how we roll or amble. I have plantar faciitis, and sometimes it's all I can do just to stay upright, so yeah, I'm gonna take the elevator for one or two flights of stairs sometimes! But I don't cut in front of others to do it. :cool:

As for kids running around screaming "just being kids", I guess I feel there is a time and place for it (the designated kids areas?), and it shouldn't be in the general population. I wasn't allowed to behave that way in public as a kid, seems like supervision is lacking these days. And if a child is really upset, crying really hard or having a tantrum, please take them to your cabin to calm down if that's what it takes (thank you for your initiative, In2why!). And no, I'm not talking about punishment, just privacy. So many strangers around is probably overwhelming for some of the younger ones!

Generally speaking, I have never liked when someone says "how are you?", because it's usually just rhetorical and nobody really cares. BUT, lately I have been answering "awesome!" and it seems to perk them up. Weird but pleasant phenomenon!

I try to treat others as I want to be treated..........'nuff said! :)

We were in line for customs when returning to US waters (docked in Key West). A lady in line in front of us would NOT shut up about how ridiculous it was that she had to wait in line, "because she's an American".

Aboard the Ecstasy last week, the Captain was making announcements. I overheard a passenger say "Can't they get American's to make those announcements?"

SMDH

We were in line for customs when returning to US waters (docked in Key West). A lady in line in front of us would NOT shut up about how ridiculous it was that she had to wait in line, "because she's an American".

That attitude will be a big win in line at her local Safeway or 7-11.

sorry if i caused a firestorm with what ithought were just basic manners issues.. as for the kids our 2 and 4 yr old never left our site and if they act up we remove them from the scene out of courtesyfor others..fortunately they were extrememlt well behaved on this cruise so that didnt happen...

at the end of the day we had a great time just for once thought id mention things that bothered me as much as the things i enjoyed...btw. the shows were great.much better than any other carnival ship ive been on..

yall have a good time on here and hopefully will see some of yall on 8/11 when we dothe magic to key west and the bahamas..(i'll be using the strairs):cool: and no kids this time so i will be in parts of the ship that kids are not allowed and im sure it will be a different experience

sorry if i caused a firestorm with what ithought were just basic manners issues.. as for the kids our 2 and 4 yr old never left our site and if they act up we remove them from the scene out of courtesyfor others..fortunately they were extrememlt well behaved on this cruise so that didnt happen...

at the end of the day we had a great time just for once thought id mention things that bothered me as much as the things i enjoyed...btw. the shows were great.much better than any other carnival ship ive been on..

yall have a good time on here and hopefully will see some of yall on 8/11 when we dothe magic to key west and the bahamas..(i'll be using the strairs):cool: and no kids this time so i will be in parts of the ship that kids are not allowed and im sure it will be a different experience

Now that is interesting.

Manners would go a long way in making the world a better place. I went on a Spring Break Cruise and LOVED it. It was full of kids and their was only one that we ran into that did not have any manners and that was rude. Kids don't know how to act if thier parents don't teach them how to act. Chances are if the kid is rude and loud so are the parents.

I don't think parents should let kids run around on ships. There is too much to get into, plus not every adult on the ship can be trusted. I keep my kids with me and they behave. When they are not with me they are in kids club.

As far as the elevator.... we avoid them and use the stairs whenever possible. However, I am one of those people that "look healthy" but I have a bad back and knee. So sometimes I just have to take the elevator.

we were in line for customs when returning to us waters (docked in key west). A lady in line in front of us would not shut up about how ridiculous it was that she had to wait in line, "because she's an american".
hi-----this is from--irene and john---55 cruises on carnival----with 3 more in the future---well---concerning the lady--who wanted to get off first--because she was an american--lol--------well---i would have asked if she was an angel-----because if she were--she could just fly off----- funny-----maybe that is why--(john) tells me to zip it------well i can't-----irene happy sailing---and remember that line

Its not what I deem appropriate it is common sense and in many places the law. It is sad that people have to be told not to drop F bombs in public where children and grandparents are....in public during the day in family areas. I will never accept it and will continue to think that people who think it is acceptable to do so are Rude, Crude, and socially unacceptable. I will judge and look down on them and have no problem doing so. If I ever get to the point that I think it is perfectly normal....well then shame on me.

I can assure you that your judgement is not impacting the person cursing in any manner. It's just words. Who exactly decided they were "bad" words? In other cultures they aren't. Your judgement really means nothing. If it bothers you move your child, grandparent, whomever...You don't control the world. Your rights end where another's begin.

It's the same with smoking, drinking...any other behavior. It doesn't mean I have to agree with it. I can let it bother me or I can over look it. If it impacts me, then I will say something other wise why get riled up?

Just got off the Carnival Magic and had a 2yo and 4yo with us and sailed 6 months ago with a cousin in a wheelchair so both cruises gave me a different perspective to what the other 64 I took were like and I d like to share a few things...

1. 2 and 4 yr olds are human too and have every right to have fun and not be sneered at or talked bad about as if the kids on the ship are ruining your cruise.

2. if you are able bodied and only have to go a flight or 2, take the stairs. I cant believe the people who cut in front of mobility impaired and wheel chair people to get in an elevator

3. say excuse me when you are cutting in front of someone or run in to them. better yet don't cut in front of them or run in to them

4. be nicer to the crew members and they will probably be nicer to you(although everyone we dealt with went above and beyond)

5. just because you on on vacation is no excuse for every other word out of your mouth to be an expletive, especially around kids..

I think just being aware of and improving on these simple things will make for many more enjoyable cruises for many more people...thanks for letting me vent

by the way the Magic was an incredible ship. so many wonderful areas on so many levels to hang out and relax. great live music all night in the atrium and ocean plaza. lots of dancing....comedy club was great. steak house and Italian restaurants were great.. got addicted to the indian food and burrito bar at lunch...

didn't think charging $35 a day to use steam room and thelosotherapy pool was worth it so didn't get to enjoy my daily steam ,hopefully they will change that..

like I said the ship was clean ,sleak and really amazing so give her a try if you get the chance..will be happy to answer any questions

Thank you for your mini review.

Are you implying that the manners things you mentioned above happened on your Carnival Magic cruise? If so, did each of those things happen?...and how often? :):):)

1. If your children are running and shrieking like banshees in my presence, they are ruining my cruise. Control 'em or take 'em elsewhere.

2. I don't cut in front of others but I will take an elevator whenever I please. Being in a wheelchair does not make you better than anyone else and you have no idea what kind of physical impairments an apparently able-bodied person might actually have.

So true Still Pooh...

not to mention that some of the people taking the elevator may have knee, back/heart problems etc that are not readily visable

If people swearing bothers you go elsewhere? In lines for food, or tenders, on the beach, in the store, looking at pictures. What happened to a time and place for everything. I curse....but if a person is in public with other people IN PUBLIC, they should know how to speak without sounding like complete trash. Its not just that everyone is entitled....we are also a product of Jerry Springer and Maury with others. Acting and speaking like that is not normal and should never become the norm.

I never said cursing should be considered normal behavior...well, I guess for some people it is normal when they do it a lot. I rarely curse, and never in public. However, I still stand by what I said in my OP. You can't control what others say or do, you can only control your reaction to them. Am I going to tell someone who is cursing in public to stop? No. I wouldn't want to risk things escalating any further. I will go elsewhere, it's a big ship, lots to do, lots to see. I don't have to continue listening to the curser. I remember the last time we stayed on-site at Disney, we were at one of the "quiet pools" at Port Orleans and there was a family there (mom, dad, two kids maybe 12 and 14) and the father was loud, obnoxious and swearing a lot. There were a few other people relaxing on loungers as we were. Nobody said anything to him. Who knows what he would have done. We had enough of it and left to go do something else.

I don't think that people in wheelchairs (or in my case a walker) think that others should not use the elevator. Or that people in wheelchairs are more important than any others, just that we would like to be able to take our turn. I don't know how many times we were in front of the elevators and no one else around and then have people come into the area just as the elevators open and they push me aside to get in before me. That is what upsets me. Also, on one of my cruises there was a man who seemed to think that anyone that had a mobility problem shouldn't really need the elevator, only him and he seemed fine. He would run to the elevator and get on and start pushing the close button as fast as he could. It was not a mistake, it was done every time even if he was the only one in the elevator. One time he even waved as the door closed.

I really wish i could take the stairs again as it really was faster and good exercise but I don't see it happening.

tigercat

I remember on Disney we had our kid in a stroller and people would line up on the side and push in front of us. It was incredible how bad it was. We waited for 4 elevators once.

That's not because they are rude; it's because they are 'merican. :D As a Canadian, I spend ALOT of time waiting for elevators when I visit the States LOL.

Archived