NCL Gem - Port Canaveral Excursions

wolfcel

We will be sailing on the Gem the week of August 31 thru September 7. Port Canaveral will be our stop on Monday, September 2nd (Labor Day) which I did not realize when booking the trip.

Has anyone done the Walt Disney Excursion thru the ship? I was wondering what you thought about the time you have in the park. Do you think it is worth doing.

I did this same itinerary last year, and we went to Kennedy Space Center, so I really didn't want to go that again this year.

Last April we rented our own car and drove to Magic Kingdom.

We were in a suite so we were the first ones off the ship jumped in the shuttle to the car rental place and on the road by 12:15.

I just looked at the clock in the picture I took of my son at the entrance to MK and it looks like by the time we drove there, parked and took the tram into the park it was 2:05.

We stayed until 7 and repeated the process. We were back on board by 9ish if I remember correctly.

With all of that being said- I think if you take a ships excursion you have to remember they are trying to heard everyone like cats to get there and get back.... I didn't think there was nearly enough time and since it was April the place was packed. I think we got on 4 rides and that was it....

I said I wouldn't do that again- it just wasn't worth the money...

Of course we are going again in 2 weeks and my cousin talked me into trying Animal Kingdom.... :eek:

Ive done a ton of research and based on the allotted time it is not worth going to disney or universal. We are renting a car and driving to downtown disney instead. this way we sort of have a disney experience and we arent pressured by lines or anything else.

we are sailing on the gem on May 25th.

NF

I did the Disney excursion through NCL this past Feb during Presidents week. We were just 2 adults (we left the kids home this vacation ;) ) we docked in Port Canaveral at 12:00. We were off the ship very quickly. We had a suite so we had priority disembark. The people running the excursion are VERY organized. It took a little over an hour to get there. We were in Magic Kingdom by 1:25. The park was VERY crowded bc of the holiday week. We were 2 adults and we had just taken the kids to Disney this past summer (we were there Labor Day weekend) so we were just taking our time walking around and going on some rides and snacking on the Disney goodies. We needed to be back on the bus no later than 8:15pm. The ship was scheduled to leave at 10:00pm. We had plenty of time walking around. But we were just there a few months prior so we were just taking our time around the park and enjoying ourselves kid free lol. If you really want to go on every ride and do everything in Magic Kingdom I personally don't think it's not enough time (about 7 hours you get). When I was at Disney Labor Day weekend the park was crowded but nothing like the crowd I experienced during Presidents Week. If you want to go to any of the other Disney parks on the excursion the bus only stops and waits at transportation and ticketing center where the monorail is and you have to take the monorail to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom you need to take the Disney bus from there also. So you need to take that travel time into consideration also.

We also saw a family from our ship who had rented a car and drove on their own and they got to the park about 30 min after we did. Personally I was exhausted after walking around Disney all day so I was glad I was able to sit on the bus and have someone else do the driving while I napped on the way back to the ship :)

I did the Disney excursion through NCL this past Feb during Presidents week. We were just 2 adults (we left the kids home this vacation ;) ) we docked in Port Canaveral at 12:00. We were off the ship very quickly. We had a suite so we had priority disembark. The people running the excursion are VERY organized. It took a little over an hour to get there. We were in Magic Kingdom by 1:25. The park was VERY crowded bc of the holiday week. We were 2 adults and we had just taken the kids to Disney this past summer (we were there Labor Day weekend) so we were just taking our time walking around and going on some rides and snacking on the Disney goodies. We needed to be back on the bus no later than 8:15pm. The ship was scheduled to leave at 10:00pm. We had plenty of time walking around. But we were just there a few months prior so we were just taking our time around the park and enjoying ourselves kid free lol. If you really want to go on every ride and do everything in Magic Kingdom I personally don't think it's not enough time (about 7 hours you get). When I was at Disney Labor Day weekend the park was crowded but nothing like the crowd I experienced during Presidents Week. If you want to go to any of the other Disney parks on the excursion the bus only stops and waits at transportation and ticketing center where the monorail is and you have to take the monorail to either Epcot or Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom you need to take the Disney bus from there also. So you need to take that travel time into consideration also.

We also saw a family from our ship who had rented a car and drove on their own and they got to the park about 30 min after we did. Personally I was exhausted after walking around Disney all day so I was glad I was able to sit on the bus and have someone else do the driving while I napped on the way back to the ship :)

We have been to Disney many times, the last time being a weeks vacation about 3 years ago. So we aren't newbies to the MK. I just LOVE Disney and would love to be able to get on a few of my favorite rides and possibly see the new Beauty and the Beast restaurant and castle.

Thank you so much for the times. I thought it was about an hour drive which would put us in the park around 1:30ish. I did not know, however, what time we headed back to the ship. I think walking around for 6-7 hours will be fine. It gives me my "Disney fix".

Now if August 31 was just closer :)

The NCL excursion is very expensive for what you get, which is essentially 6-7 hours at the parks. I can be done less expensively by renting a car, but as others have said, the car rental process eats into your time at the parks. Personally, I would avoid the Disney parks like the plague (!), and go some other time. You just don't have enough time to explore and enjoy the area.

My vote would be to go to Cocoa beach and relax...

The NCL excursion is very expensive for what you get' date=' which is essentially 6-7 hours at the parks. I can be done less expensively by renting a car, but as others have said, the car rental process eats into your time at the parks. Personally, I would avoid the Disney parks like the plague (!), and go some other time. You just don't have enough time to explore and enjoy the area.

My vote would be to go to Cocoa beach and relax...[/quote']

I agree with what your saying. It is expensive...$165 adult, $125 kids under 10. If we had the kids with us (3 kids) I wouldn't have done it. Way expensive for the amount of time you get there. Disney was the only excursion we did and it was just 2 of us. I love Disney so I just wanted my Disney fix and the Mickey ice cream sandwich and Dole float lol :D

We have done the Disney excursions through both NCL and Carnival, and always found that they were worth it. If you have a plan of what rides you really want to go on, and use the fast pass system, you should be able to get on quite a few. At the end of the day, we are always exhausted and happy with what we were able to get done while at the park.

It can also depend on when your ship docks in Port Canaveral, and how crowded the Disney parks may be on that date. I'm sailing the Gem in September and docking in PC at noon. If I did a Disney excursion, I wouldn't get to Orlando until 1PM--and by then, the parks may be extremely crowded, and I wouldn't get to do much of anything besides wait in lines. If you have an earlier docking time and would get to Disney in the morning hours, the parks are much more doable.

I went on a land-based Disney trip this past January and used http://www.UndercoverTourist.com for ride wait times and their indispensable crowd calendar. They already warn that the Magic Kingdom will be very crowded on Labor Day and a visit is not recommended, but you may want to look at the calendar and decide for yourself.

Just wanted to through this out there in case anyone is interested. When we were on the Gem and stopped at Port Canaveral we did the Airboat Excursion through NCL. I wanted to go to Disney but it really didn't seem worth it due to the time constraints. DH planned this and I honestly did not think much of the idea at first but went along with it. However, I was surprised as it was a great time! :D Moderately priced, very fun and saw lots of gators. :eek: Something you may want to consider. :cool:

Just wanted to through this out there in case anyone is interested. When we were on the Gem and stopped at Port Canaveral we did the Airboat Excursion through NCL. I wanted to go to Disney but it really didn't seem worth it due to the time constraints. DH planned this and I honestly did not think much of the idea at first but went along with it. However, I was surprised as it was a great time! :D Moderately priced, very fun and saw lots of gators. :eek: Something you may want to consider. :cool:

Do you think that young children would enjoy the airboat excursion? My sons are 3 and 5 yo. I'm sailing on the Gem in May, and I'm trying to decided what to do at Port Canaveral. I think Disney would be too much for us, plus we were just there in November. Thanks!

Alligator jungle and airboat excursion! Lots of fun. Going again in 15+ days!!!!!! Fun for all ages and worth the money. At the gator jungle you get to hold different animals and then you do the airboat ride. It's a full day.

I went on the Gem in 2011 and did the coco beach excursion~~just wanted a no-stress day! I heard some people on the cruise say they were going to go to Disney~~I wonder how they made out! Have fun whatever you do and have a good cruise!:)

We love going to Coco Beach. Don't book on the ship. Shuttles right off ship that take you...and pick you back up. Much cheaper & very easy. I believe it was about $5-$7. Tons of stuff to do there, plus the beach, Ron Jon Surf shop with huge fish tank and shark, and tons of stores, bars and restaurants of all types. There really isn't enough time to do Disney, everybody who we spoke to who went said "not enough time, especially for the price".

Whatever you decide --ENJOY:D

Last April we rented our own car and drove to Magic Kingdom.

We were in a suite so we were the first ones off the ship jumped in the shuttle to the car rental place and on the road by 12:15.

I just looked at the clock in the picture I took of my son at the entrance to MK and it looks like by the time we drove there, parked and took the tram into the park it was 2:05.

We stayed until 7 and repeated the process. We were back on board by 9ish if I remember correctly.

With all of that being said- I think if you take a ships excursion you have to remember they are trying to heard everyone like cats to get there and get back.... I didn't think there was nearly enough time and since it was April the place was packed. I think we got on 4 rides and that was it....

I said I wouldn't do that again- it just wasn't worth the money...

Of course we are going again in 2 weeks and my cousin talked me into trying Animal Kingdom.... :eek:

animal kingdom shuts down much earlier than the other parks...in order to care for the animals..so check it out online if you care to.

Alligator jungle and airboat excursion! Lots of fun. Going again in 15+ days!!!!!! Fun for all ages and worth the money. At the gator jungle you get to hold different animals and then you do the airboat ride. It's a full day.

I'm on the 5/4 as well.... We are now reconsidering Animal Kingdom. Are you doing a ship excursion or on your own?

animal kingdom shuts down much earlier than the other parks...in order to care for the animals..so check it out online if you care to.

I know :( We were going to go for 4 hours then do Downtown Disney but are now rethinking the idea...

I personally feel Disney would have to be a full vacation, not part of a day. It would be too much of a tease for me.

We too are doing the Airboat Alligator Jungle thing.

Jon

We are doing this as well! I've heard so many good things about this I just had to go with the popularity vote!!;)

I'm on the 5/4 as well.... We are now reconsidering Animal Kingdom. Are you doing a ship excursion or on your own?

Through NCL. Its the only one we have booked. We did it on our first cruise a few yeara ago and had a lot of fun. First half you goto the gator jungle for like 3 hours and then the airboat ride. Its about a 30-45 min. Bus ride from the ship if i remember right :)

Ps. 15 more day to go!!!!!!

Through NCL. Its the only one we have booked. We did it on our first cruise a few yeara ago and had a lot of fun. First half you goto the gator jungle for like 3 hours and then the airboat ride. Its about a 30-45 min. Bus ride from the ship if i remember right :)

Ps. 15 more day to go!!!!!!

I just sent the description to my cousin...

15 :D:D:D

I just sent the description to my cousin...

15 :D:D:D

Awesome! The website is jungle adventures.com. That's where it was at. They have demonstrations...live feelings and alligator shows

Hi guys

I will be at this port as well in May ...I am interested in going to jungle adventures as well I looked it up...Looks like fun !! If you dont mind me asking how did you guys get there with little research I see that it takes 30 mins to get there ..I have already prepaid the shuttle to cocoa beach ... and I kinda didnt want to rent a car any other ideas ?? thank you in advance =)

Hi guys

I will be at this port as well in May ...I am interested in going to jungle adventures as well I looked it up...Looks like fun !! If you dont mind me asking how did you guys get there with little research I see that it takes 30 mins to get there ..I have already prepaid the shuttle to cocoa beach ... and I kinda didnt want to rent a car any other ideas ?? thank you in advance =)

I booked through ncl so travel is included I'm not sure how else you could get there without renting a car. Maybe a taxi but that might be expensive

Archived