I am a HUGE Carnival fan but.....

Bernie388

I've been on the Oasis 3 times, twice during Spring Break. Surprisingly, the ship has never seemed crowded anywhere (except pools on sea day, like every other ship). There are so many spaces for people to go, that everyone really spreads out. You would never think that would be the case but it's true! All of the RC ships I have been on (again, mostly during Spring Break or other high demand times) have seemed very spacious. Maybe it's the layout of the ships.

Not surprising when you figure there are 6000 pax on a 220,000 gwt vessel, vs 4000 pax on a 130,000 gwt Carnival vessel.

While it would be nice for Carnival to build a ship with more activities, I honestly have no interest in these megaships. While impressive, If I want an amusement park, I can just go to Disney. But more power to those lines taking on those massive projects. Clearly there is a huge market for that stuff, but it really does not appeal to me. Ill stick with the smaller more traditional types of ships.

I remember when FOS came out. I was telling my dh about this new ship where the hot tubs are cantilevered. That was 3 ships ago :eek:

We couldn't afford FOS when that came out I'm certain I can't afford Quantum. I'd love to do these mega ships and i'm sure my teens would love it but the cost is what keeps me from doing them. I've done RC with just dh and myself but it's been on shorter cruises and during off peak times. We only vacation during the summer now with the kids, so it's either do cheaper vacations every year or save for a mega vacation once every few years.

It looks very cool though.

Man, the new Quantum of the Sea looks awesome. Great video of what it offers. I'm staying with Carnival but I hope they can compete with all these new amenities coming out on other ships... C'mon Carnival, your turn to WOW us....

Well, I haven't been on the Oasis or Allure. I have been on the Freedom OTS and three Voyager class ships. The extras are nice, however, the bumper cars and the North Star don't interest me.

Not surprising when you figure there are 6000 pax on a 220,000 gwt vessel, vs 4000 pax on a 130,000 gwt Carnival vessel.

Using your numbers that would mean that there is a slightly more then 10% difference between the two in regards to passenger/gwt ratio.

However, here is what I found:

Allure of the seas size, 225,282 gtw. 6,296 maximum capacity. According to Wikipedia.

Passenger to gtw ratio: 35.8

Carnival Dream size, 128,000 gtw. 3,652 maximum capacity. According to Wikipedia.

Passenger to gtw ratio: 35.0

Difference of around 2%

To put things into perspective, if you had 100 people in a ballroom, and removed two people, would the ballroom feel any less crowded? How about 1000 people and you remove 20? Or if you removed 72 people from a full Carnival Dream?

I remember when FOS came out. I was telling my dh about this new ship where the hot tubs are cantilevered. That was 3 ships ago :eek:

We couldn't afford FOS when that came out I'm certain I can't afford Quantum. I'd love to do these mega ships and i'm sure my teens would love it but the cost is what keeps me from doing them. I've done RC with just dh and myself but it's been on shorter cruises and during off peak times. We only vacation during the summer now with the kids, so it's either do cheaper vacations every year or save for a mega vacation once every few years.

It looks very cool though.

While RCI is higher on most cruises vs. CCL, there are still dates where RCI is cheaper. Our cruise on Freedom of the Seas is actually cheaper than the same date for the Dream. This is comparing a JS room on RCI to OS on CCL.

Using your numbers that would mean that there is a slightly more then 10% difference between the two in regards to passenger/gwt ratio.

However, here is what I found:

Allure of the seas size, 225,282 gtw. 6,296 maximum capacity. According to Wikipedia.

Passenger to gtw ratio: 35.8

Carnival Dream size, 128,000 gtw. 3,652 maximum capacity. According to Wikipedia.

Passenger to gtw ratio: 35.0

Difference of around 2%

Your numbers are incorrect. The Dream holds 4631 passengers for total capacity including all uppers. The number you gave is for 1st and 2nd only. Need to do your math again. Also the industry uses only the the first two passengers per stateroom to gain the passenger to space ratio.

Oasis - 225,252 tons divided by 5408 = 41.65

Dream - 130,000 tons divided by 3652 = 35.59

That is how the cruise industry ranks the above numbers.

Just looking at the features....

The one thing that always bugs me about Carnival, is the many, tiny little bars, that sit unused, for 75% of the day.

Instead of having 2-3 larger venues that could rotate activites throughout the day and night and not be wasted space. (have the jazz band, share with piano bar, with karokee, with a comedian, all in a larger, more spacious venue. Not feeling like 20 people piling into a broom closet.)

I liked how RCCL has the Full basket ball court, that switches to bumper cars, that switches to roller skating, that switches to......

Same with that 270 lounge, that changes throughout the day, to meet the activity happening. (I know on Sunshine, the main lounge looks to be trying something like that, but it looks much more claustrophbic. Probably because it doesn't have all that open air space with the glass ceiling)

I could careless about the flowrider, rockwall and the new skydiving ride or the new globe thing.

If those were ever meant to atrract me to RCCL, I would never sail on them.

But the video wall in the inside cabin, with the live action, balcony view is truly inspired.

I know they just took Disney's fake porthole idea, but the execution is the most innovative thing I have seen any try yet...

Kudos to them for coming up with a truly worthwhile innovation.

Bill

Your numbers are incorrect. The Dream holds 4631 passengers for total capacity including all uppers. The number you gave is for 1st and 2nd only. Need to do your math again. Also the industry uses only the the first two passengers per stateroom to gain the passenger to space ratio.

Oasis - 225,252 tons divided by 5408 = 41.65

Dream - 130,000 tons divided by 3652 = 35.59

That is how the cruise industry ranks the above numbers.

Thanks!! Always willing and wanting to learn. I was just going by the info I was able to get off the internet.

I am a French model.

Jumbiecruiser,

I am reading that gross tonnage of a ship is based on inside space. Would dead space in an inside area like that of the Royal Promenade be used in the calculation of tonnage?

I have sailed on numerous cruise ships, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I never noticed a considerable difference in the crowds. Just wondering.

No joke, when I watched the video for the new ship, I literally said WOW out loud.

It looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it will be "for us", since we will have a little one. I definitely see Disney in my future (I'm okay with it!).

We had decided to jump ship on Carnival long before these "recent" events occurred. There were many things that made us come to that conclusion.

Quantum of the Seas looks pretty cool.

Archived