I am a HUGE Carnival fan but.....

Bernie388

You get what you pay for. Carnival is not going to build a ship like QUANTUM or OASIS because frankly the majority of Carnival cruisers are not willing to pay for those amenities. Basically you can't have it all. If you want those amenities and a far more impressive ship, then sail on Royal Caribbean.

If you want "Guy's Burger Joint", Playlist Productions (barf), etc. then Carnival is the line for you.

The Quantum will not have 6,000 people on it. Double occupancy is expected to be around 4100-4200 passengers. If the ship goes out at max capacity it will be closer to 4800.

The only two ships that could even come close to 6000 passengers are the Oasis and the Allure.

They said 6,000 people, not passengers. Surely the crew count as people, right? Allure has a max capacity of 6,296 passengers + 2,384 crew for a max of 8,680 people onboard according to wikipedia. It wouldn't surprise me if this ship can hold 6,000 people, as most sale higher than double occupancy.

Personally, the ship doesn't interest me, but I am very glad it isn't bigger than Allure. Even though I hear RCI does a great job (probably better than Carnival with lower capacity) of crowd control, that is too many people for me to feel safe. I suppose I may find my way onto this one, though I kind of like to top out at 3,000 passengers...

I honestly hope this means their Freedom class ships get some price breaks- I'd like to try them.

I just hope that all the other cruiselines (Carnival too) stick with their niches and don't all try to become, to borrow from the RCI board, six flags of the seas.

I just hope that all the other cruiselines (Carnival too) stick with their niches and don't all try to become, to borrow from the RCI board, six flags of the seas.

Yup you can look at it like "Six Flags of the Seas", just at many look at Carnival as "Walmart of the Seas".

Both are stereotypes that have some truths.

this cruise line taking cruise ship in direction i dont like at all! Way too big and and ski diving on the sea wouldnt be my first idea when its come to make cruise ship better!!! IMHO of course, ill stick with carnival!

I do agree with you there. While there is a place for bigger and better (mostly for attracting families with kids), I wish the cruise lines would make new smaller ships as well.

I personally think Carnival's Spirit Class are their best, yet nowhere near the biggest or newest. I also really like Royal's Vision and Radiance class ships for their simplicity and more "traditional" experience. More ships like them would be welcome IMO.

I agree! There's nothing wrong with trying different lines. I'll be sailing another line for the first time next year and I'm excited to try something new.

I didn't watch the entire video because it froze on me but that floating bubble thing makes me nervous. What happens when it breaks down or gets stuck? How will they get people out of it? :eek::confused:

I agree. I love Oasis of the Seas and I also love trying out new ships and different cruiselines, depending on my budget and schedule. I was thinking of booking with NCL next year and giving them a try, but now that I have seen this ship....I may need to put NCL on hold for now. :D

I've been waiting to be wowed by Carnival since the implementation of the Dream class. I will never forget my disappointment when I found out it was yet ANOTHER class of stretched out Conquest class ships.

I don't expect wow or innovation from Carnival anymore. They just don't have it in them for whatever reason. Which is fine. That's why RCI and NCL exist.

Not at all interested in going on a ship with 6,000 people. I will stick with Carnival :p :)

I haven't sailed the oasis or allure but I have read many reviews. One complaint you never read is that even with this amount of people on board, they are never crowded. Apparently they do a good job with crowd control. Yet the dream which holds 4000 ish people always gets complaints about crowding. It isn't the number of people that is the problem, it is the layout and organization of the ship.

Bumper Cars.....LAME... Sky Diving 2 hour wait....Globe...2 hour wait. Don't feel like spending my cruise waiting in line. Oh and Flow Rider 30-45 minute wait and not that big of deal. Would much rather have water slides and rope course.

How is adding a rope course or slides any different then royal having the flow rider or ice rink? It's not. All are gimmicks to draw people in.

And for the record I never saw many people waiting in line. On a sea day we watched people use the flow rider and the wait was maybe ten minutes. And this is with people riding it and getting back in line to ride over and over.

I haven't sailed the oasis or allure but I have read many reviews. One complaint you never read is that even with this amount of people on board, they are never crowded. Apparently they do a good job with crowd control. Yet the dream which holds 4000 ish people always gets complaints about crowding. It isn't the number of people that is the problem, it is the layout and organization of the ship.

Very well said. Having sailed on CARNIVAL BREEZE as well as OASIS and ALLURE, I can tell you that OASIS and ALLURE felt much less crowded. They were also the superior ships in every possible category. Royal Caribbean puts a lot more planning and research into their ship designs. The really study passenger flow and come up with great solutions to manage people (just like Disney does). Yes this costs more $$! Carnival just takes old ship designs and tacks on more and more decks of cabins and hopes no one will notice.

Funny how CCL cheer leaders keep calling Carnival ships "Fun Ships" when they have the least amount of fun things to do. RCL goes out of their way to come up with new things to appeal to more people, much more fun and innovative than "hairy leg contest". Outside of looking for a lounger or standing like a sardine in an overcrowded pool, there isn't much else to do on a CCL ship.

CCL's answer to RCl is to take a crowded ship, added more cabins and rename it- yawn!

Funny how CCL cheer leaders keep calling Carnival ships "Fun Ships" when they have the least amount of fun things to do. RCL goes out of their way to come up with new things to appeal to more people, much more fun and innovative than "hairy leg contest". Outside of looking for a lounger or standing like a sardine in an overcrowded pool, there isn't much else to do on a CCL ship.

CCL's answer to RCl is to take a crowded ship, added more cabins and rename it- yawn!

can't say you are far off from what we have felt on our 3 cruises...we have loved each one but trying Royal for the first time this year (unless something comes up again), and will see the difference ourselves..

much more fun and innovative than "hairy leg contest"!

Please get your facts straight about Carnival entertainment. It's not as bad as you put it. It's the Hairy CHEST contest! :)

Seriously, all I'm getting from this thread is how defensive some people get about Carnival when another cruise line overshadows them (again).

Some may want to convince themselves how crowded the Royal ships are (they are not), or how they'll need to pay or stand in line to use these innovative features (they won't), or how Carnival delivers exactly what they need (hard to debate unless they actually try something else), but these people need to give praise where praise is due, and there's no denying that Royal has some creative and innovative people designing some of the most amazing ships afloat these days.

Please get your facts straight about Carnival entertainment. It's not as bad as you put it. It's the Hairy CHEST contest! :)

Doesn't RCL actually do a "Sexy Legs" contest? Or is that another line? Seems pretty close to a hairy chest contest to me....

I'd hate to be daggling in that North Star bubble when the seas were up. Can you imagine? They'll need a nice supply of barf bags. :eek:

That's a good point. I'd imagine it will close as often as the waterslides on Carnival. Going out of NY/NJ will probably bring even more high seas. I'm not concerned though. I wouldn't be going on that anyhow. Heck I have a hard enough time in the Carnival Atrium elevators. :D

But it would be awesome to skydive with Mrs. Costanza!

Man, the new Quantum of the Sea looks awesome. Great video of what it offers. I'm staying with Carnival but I hope they can compete with all these new amenities coming out on other ships... C'mon Carnival, your turn to WOW us....

I agree, I am always defending carnival and am loyal to the brand because it is what I like. However the Qauntum of the seas does look impressive. Some items look a little corny but overall very impressive. I won't be sailing on it tough but I hope carnival will go all out on its new build in 2016. I would eve hope if more ships are to be "sunshined" they will take a look at Qauntum. It may even be time for carnival to resurrect the pinnacle class.

You get what you pay for. Carnival is not going to build a ship like QUANTUM or OASIS because frankly the majority of Carnival cruisers are not willing to pay for those amenities. Basically you can't have it all. If you want those amenities and a far more impressive ship, then sail on Royal Caribbean.

If you want "Guy's Burger Joint", Playlist Productions (barf), etc. then Carnival is the line for you.

That's it in a nutshell. Royal and Carnival attract two totally different type consumers and it shows with the Oasis and now Quantum.

Archived