I am a HUGE Carnival fan but.....

Bernie388

Please get your facts straight about Carnival entertainment. It's not as bad as you put it. It's the Hairy CHEST contest! :)

Seriously, all I'm getting from this thread is how defensive some people get about Carnival when another cruise line overshadows them (again).

Some may want to convince themselves how crowded the Royal ships are (they are not), or how they'll need to pay or stand in line to use these innovative features (they won't), or how Carnival delivers exactly what they need (hard to debate unless they actually try something else), but these people need to give praise where praise is due, and there's no denying that Royal has some creative and innovative people designing some of the most amazing ships afloat these days.

I'm not so sure if it's people getting defensive. Like I've said before RCI and it's added "free" (not) perks do not appeal to some while Carnivals amenities do and vice versa. And I also don't think anyone (even "carnival cheerleaders") would refute the fact that RCI creates some beautiful and amazing ships. I just think it's pointless to compare the two when they're not the same.

I've only cruised Carnival but it has not been by choice. Now that I'm much older and willing to venture out on my own I will be sailing on the Oasis of the Seas next year and you know what? So far I LOVE RCI customer service reps and I'm sure I'll love the ship too. But will I come here and bash Carnival afterwards? No! Will I cruise Carnival again? In a heartbeat.

I'm also planning a NCL cruise for next year or the year after as well. I just can't understand why this comparison crap is so important! What does it matter??? :confused: If you cruise RCI...awesome! If you cruise CCL....great! NCL, Celebrity, Princess...fantastic!

It was stated that none of those activities will have a cost. That was from the CEO.

They have a cost alright...you just pay it before you step foot on the ship!

For me personally though, I'm willing to pay the extra to sail RCI and NCL. I want to experience different cruiselines but I also won't think twice about sailing Carnival either because I know what to expect and I've always had a great time on their ships.

Bumper Cars.....LAME... Sky Diving 2 hour wait....Globe...2 hour wait. Don't feel like spending my cruise waiting in line. Oh and Flow Rider 30-45 minute wait and not that big of deal. Would much rather have water slides and rope course.

These things don't even exist yet. You must have some pretty amazing foresight. Can I get some advice on the stock market? :D

RCI will likely have some sort of reservations system set up like they do with the limited-capacity attractions on Oasis and Allure. Its a nice system if there is something you really want to do and don't mind booking them in advance. Of course there's always the standby line for those that don't. That might be where you'd run into wait times.

I've been on three cruises with RCI on ships with Flowriders. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes to ride it. They don't allow you infinite time on it. Once you wipe out you're done. For those that don't, they'll wave you in after a few minutes.

They certainly make the ship the destination, which is great for families. Economically smart for them too. Kids will soon want to stay onboard and forget the islands!

I'm in my 20s. I'm of a generation that unless it's an established artist I listen to- I don't care about live bands singing other individuals songs. I also grew up with an amusement park in my backyard that provided a lot of the same activities the new ship has (flow riders, sky things, free falling blowers or whatever, bumper cars etc). It's really not what I search for on vacation. However, those with children will most certainly flock to it because it has a lot of entertainment for kids/teens and I suppose adults.

If an itinerary and price are right, I'm on it. However, I'm 100% positive this ship isn't going to fit either of those categories (especially sailing from NY).

Royal and Carnival attract two totally different type consumers and it shows with the Oasis and now Quantum.

...and somehow, some people still write how Carnival and Royal are "more alike than different" every time someone asks for advice on these boards.

...and somehow, some people still write how Carnival and Royal are "more alike than different" every time someone asks for advice on these boards.

Its wishful thinking. Some (not all so save your whining if this doesn't apply to you) Carnival cruisers just love believing that they aren't missing anything by not sailing other lines.

We've sailed both lines recently and the only thing I felt was different is the ships. All the RCL ships are very well done. Carnival is either the same or better in everything else.

Burt

We've sailed both lines recently and the only thing I felt was different is the ships. All the RCL ships are very well done. Carnival is either the same or better in everything else.

Burt

You jest??? Everything else?

RCCL's professional entertainment vs. CCL's Passenger Talent Show?

RCCL's great loyalty program vs. Carnival's joke of a program?

RCCL's new dinner menu vs. Carnival's meat loaf?

RCCL's ice shows, flowrider, rock wall vs. CCL's water slide?

The only thing I feel is better on Carnival is the warm chocolate melting cake!

You jest??? Everything else?

RCCL's professional entertainment vs. CCL's Passenger Talent Show?

RCCL's great loyalty program vs. Carnival's joke of a program?

RCCL's new dinner menu vs. Carnival's meat loaf?

RCCL's ice shows, flowrider, rock wall vs. CCL's water slide?

The only thing I feel is better on Carnival is the warm chocolate melting cake!

Keep in mind the poster did not specify *which* Royal Caribbean ship he/she sailed. It might have been the MONARCH or MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, the oldest ships in the fleet. If it were OASIS or ALLURE, or even the Freedom Class, absolutely no comparison with anything Carnival has.

The only thing better on Carnival for me was the Guy's burgers. Yes they were good, but I don't pick a cruise line based on burgers alone.

. I just think it's pointless to compare the two when they're not the same.

!

I agree with this!!

And this is not to say one is better than the other. They are very different, that's all. And what is best for one person may not be best for another.

I think it does a total disservice when people post things like 'Oh basically all the cruise lines are the same.' OR "They are more alike than different'

Oh heck no, they are not.

They are all very different. Each has a totally different feel. It's pretty great that there are a couple different lines to choose from. :)

I have never sailed RCI. Not because I had no desire to try something different, but because for the times I was looking to cruise, I could never justify the price difference.

Their ships are more innovative, there's no question. But whether they're better or not is as personal of an opinion as food quality, IMO. For me, personally, Oasis/Allure and Quantum are not on my to-do list for various reasons Doesn't mean they won't necessarily be there someday, or that I wouldn't love them if I sailed on them right now, but at the moment I do not have a desire to spend the extra money to sail on them.

That being said, I am currently trying to convince DH to go on the one-time, 4 day Navigator sailing out of Galveston in February. Not because I'm dissatisfied with the Carnival product (the ship product - the customer service product is leaving much to be desired these days :rolleyes:), but because I'd like to try something new, and to me, the price is right.

Just because I don't feel it's right for me doesn't mean it doesn't look like an amazing ship. It can be wrong for me but still be incredible to you. And, yes, I've heard the "you just have to try it and see" argument. In terms of ship amenities, at least, you do appear to get more with the extra expense, I get it. For right now, at least, it's just money I don't care to spend. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try it in the future, or fault anyone who chooses to do so. The beauty of choice amongst cruise lines. :)

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bumper Cars.....LAME... Sky Diving 2 hour wait....Globe...2 hour wait. Don't feel like spending my cruise waiting in line. Oh and Flow Rider 30-45 minute wait and not that big of deal. Would much rather have water slides and rope course.

Maybe this is why Carnival has a terrible chair hog problem?

That's why I love signatures on Cruise Critic. While some have presented a fair assessment, the total cruising experience outside of Carnival by the biggest critics of RCI on this thread are one or none. Intellectual dishonesty at its best... and yes, before I get flamed, usually the reciprocal is true on other boards. :D:rolleyes::D

That being said, I am currently trying to convince DH to go on the one-time, 4 day Navigator sailing out of Galveston in February. Not because I'm dissatisfied with the Carnival product (the ship product - the customer service product is leaving much to be desired these days :rolleyes:), but because I'd like to try something new, and to me, the price is right.

You might be interested to know that NotS is scheduled for a major dry-dock in January 2014. She will be receiving the "Virtual Balcony" feature on all inside cabins like QUANTUM will have. In other words, all the inside cabins will have a huge floor to ceiling video wall that will show a live view of the outside. It's pretty cool and the next best thing to having a real balcony.

It will look something like this:

virtualbalcony.jpg

You might be interested to know that NotS is scheduled for a major dry-dock in January 2014. She will be receiving the "Virtual Balcony" feature on all inside cabins like QUANTUM will have. In other words, all the inside cabins will have a huge floor to ceiling video wall that will show a live view of the outside. It's pretty cool and the next best thing to having a real balcony.

virtualbalcony.jpg

I didn't read about these. Seems like they took Disney's virtual portholes quite a few steps further. Very cool.

I think the most interesting thing in that video is their 270 room. This appears to be a multi-purpose room that doubles as their main theatre. This is a similar concept to the Sunshine's theatre/lounge. The 270 lounge even features large video screens, that probably continues the trend of investing in video screens for theatre scenery from the Playlist productions.

The problem with these massive ships is the ports being able to dock them and the amount of people. Pretty soon some ports are going to be overun with people when you have a couple of RC big ships in port along with all the other lines. I too cruise mainly for the itinerary and the relaxation that comes with being on a cruise. I just don't need all these extras.

I agree...now a fourth massive ship to avoid at ports. Oasis, Allure, Royal Princess and next Quantum. I think the Conquest size Carnival ships are big enough...Dream class pushing it. I am trying Celebrity's largest class, S-class Silhouette next January but have three full sea days and laid back Eastern Caribbean ports for our week at sea. I'll have time to explore and enjoy the ship with very few kids since there are no slides or amusements - I do not need nor want any of that for a cruise.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I didn't read about these. Seems like they took Disney's virtual portholes quite a few steps further. Very cool.

Those video walls will be fed by cameras on the outside of the ship. So, the images on the wall will be true to the actual view.

virtualbalcony.jpg

I remember seeing the stuff about this when Disney first started doing this with the port holes. It's a great idea and would make being in an inside room better. Plus since its a live feed you would be able to tell day/night now. Stayed in an inside room on Disney and that was one of the biggest downfalls. You could never tell what time of day it was.

Yea I bet that thing will be closed most of the time. Making the wait even longer.

Long wait? Maybe if it was on a CCL ship where the only other thing to do is to hang out by a crowded pool and fight over chairs. However, on RCL there are so many things to do during the day that it is hard to keep up. You can do the floor rider, ride carousel, ice skate (if they still off that)zip line, rock climb, see a parade in the prominade.

On CCL you have just the pool and the long lines.

Oh, and RCL also has nice pools if that is what you want.

The CCL 2.0 makeover basically adding bars to existing ships. Great, now when you are bored on CCL sea day, you can run up your sail and sign card and get drunk!

The fact is that RCL is far superior to CCL and this is why their cruises can cost much more than CCL. Where once upon a time, pricing was similar, RCL pricing is up there and CCL has crashed because people see CCL has a cheap, trashy cruiseline. I have a cruise on the Allure booked for this July and inside is going for around $2800, about double what a 7 day cruise will cost on CCL.

CCL will continue to cheapen its product in its race to the bottom of the barrell.

I think the most interesting thing in that video is their 270 room. This appears to be a multi-purpose room that doubles as their main theatre. This is a similar concept to the Sunshine's theatre/lounge. The 270 lounge even features large video screens, that probably continues the trend of investing in video screens for theatre scenery from the Playlist productions.

Two70 Lounge is not the main show lounge. It's a separate multi-purpose venue with an aft view of the ship's wake. The three-story glass wall transforms into a video wall at night for performances or just nighttime scenery for ambiance.

QotS will also have a large main show lounge forward, where I am guessing there will be some fabulous entertainment which will probably be a full scale Broadway show (like OASIS and ALLURE have with Hairspray and Chicago). I'm guessing Rent or Mama Mia but it's anyones guess at this point. One thing is for certain, the shows will be far superior to Carnival's Playlist Productions. I saw those shows on CARNIVAL BREEZE and they were probably the worst shows I have seen on any ship ever. Truly embarrassing they were that bad. Really bad singers, no live band, and no scenery except for a video screen.

There is still a lot more to be revealed regarding QotS. Retail, pools/spa/gym, dining, entertainment, bars/lounges ... it's all still to come.

Archived