Behind The Fun Tour Review - Sensation 4/17

jaxcruiser66

I took the Behind The Fun Tour on the Carnival Sensation on 4/1713. I took it solo (DW wanted to start packing and layout). The cost of the tour was $55. I had the FTTF, so I booked this as soon as I was aboard on Embarkation. My BTF ticket was delivered to my cabin later in the day.

Couple of notes:

- you need to wear closed toe shoes.

- there are only 16 slots out of 2600 passengers. It will fill up fast.

- DO NOT try to sneak a camera on the tour!

- Be there on time!

- if you have mobility issues this tour unfortunately will not be for you. It's a lot of walking/standing... And step stairwells.

The tour was held on our last sea day. We met on the Oak Room (library) on the Atlantic Deck. Our tour guide was the Corporate Training Officer, named Bensen from Hungary. He gave us our All Access neck lanyards.

We were to,d to meet at 9:15am. There was a very nice spread of coffees, juices, and Danishes for tour participants, we were given a small handout of ship facts.... Particulars on how much food is consumed in a typical week. There is also the recipe for the Molten Chocolate Cake.

At 9:30, when everyone was present, we were given a brief welcome speech from Bensen, and then ships security showed up. They actually searched (using a wand) everyone on the tour. They were super strict about not having cameras or cll phones!!! So therefor I have no photos of our tour to share. Sorry.

We then all went through the Fantasy MDR (breakfast was still going on). We went through the constant rotating doors that we saw our wait staff using throughout the cruise. These doors go FAST!

We were met by the ships Head Chef. And he proceeded to walk us through the several mains areas of the kitchen (prep area, dish washing, hot food cooking areas, and pastry). We were introduced to Chef Paul the head pastry chef. He had a plate of amazing chocolate covered strawberries for us to eat!

The galley is huge...and it is awesome to be in there while a meal is going on. It was fun to see how and where your food is coming from.

From the galley we went down several deck via a crew staircase to deck 2, which is below the ware line. We went to the ships main laundry room. We met the ships laundry officer. He showed us every facet of how the laundry works. Including the crews, and officer uniforms. We got to see how they press and fold all the bedding sheets. It's pretty amazing the volume they handle.

From the laundry room on deck 2, we went up one deck to deck 3. Deck three is the main deck for crew operations. We went along I-95 where we went to the ships storerooms. We were met by the Filipino Ships Supply Officer. He took us through the dry stores, fresh fruit vegetable stores, and the meat freezers. There are separate ones for beef and chicken. He showed us the thawing procedures. We got to meet the prep cooks who are not in the main kitchen. We also got to meet one of the two ships butchers. He the. Took us I to the beer and soda refrigerator. AMAZING to see how much is on board!!

We then walked down I-95 to the recycling/waste room. We were met by the ships Italian environmental officer. He showed us in detail how waste is handled on the ship. From black (poop) water is treated, as well as how the different food waste is handled before becoming fish food. There is also huge storage of glass...separated by the colors of glass. All cans are crushed and baled.

We then went into one of several crews mess (dining rooms). We were allowed to get drinks. We then went into the crew training room. Bensen explained to us the Carnivals procedures on crew training....mandatory safety and customer care, to voluntary college at sea. They also have many different language training. We were shown pictures of the crew quarters, but we did not see a crew stateroom.

We left the crew training room, and went down to the ships Engine Control Room.

This is one of the two secured areas on the ship.... And we were accompanied by *3* ship security officers! the Engine Control room is HUGE! There are a million monitors, and displays and alarms going off constantly. We were met by 2nd Engineer, and a 3rd engineer, both from Croatia. They stated explaining the different parts of the control room. A few minutes later the ships Chief Engineer from Italy came and definitely took charge of the show. He has been with Carnival for 30 years! He really got into giving a tour and explained a lot of how the systems all worked. Bensen had to step in, as he was running a little long.

We then went the rest of the way forward along deck 3 and we stuck our head into the ships medical center. There is a Croatian doctor inboard and 4 nurses. The crew gets their healthcare for free.

We then took the elevators up to deck 7 and took crew stairs up to deck 8 and we went to the stage of the Fantasia Lounge. We were met by Zed, the Stage Manager. We showed us the sound and lighting control panels, the various props, and how they operated the backdrops for the show. He then took us into the dancers dressing room and showed us how they do the quick costume changes. It was a pretty impressive setup. The shows are multimillion dollars productions. Some of the dressed cost 6,000 dollars!

We left the stage area and we went up two decks and we entered the ships bridge. Again... A secure area...so more ship security personnel were present. And they stood very close by. We were met by the ships captain, Capt. Tuminello. Very charming man! He took us through the various ship navigation controls, and showed us the navigation, GPS, and weather computers. He showed us how they still use paper charts to navigate.

We then each took pictures with the captain, which were delivered to our cabin later in the day.

We left the bridge and went back down to deck 7 and we went out to the bow of the ship. This is an off limits area to guests. This area is where the crew can come to smoke and get some sunlight. They have their own (small) pool. There is also a crew smoking area.

We then went into the crews bar...yes they have their own bar! Pool tables, dart board, Wii, big screen TV, etc. they are allowed to drink, but Carnival has a strict rule about drinking too much. These guys are always on duty in case of an emergency.

And that was the end of the tour! We filled out a tour survey. We then got a Behind The Fun ball cap, and a lanyard.

When I went back to my cabin, there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and cookies and muffins from Chef Paul!!! Very awesome and surprising!

The tour went fast....took the full 3 hours... And was worth every penny! I highly recommend this tour if you have any interest in hour a cruise ship operates.

Another noteworthy thing.... EVERY crew member we passed throughout the tour had a huge smile and always said good morning, and asked if we were having a good time. Most crew never has contact with the guests, and I think they like when these tours come through.

I will try to answer any questions about this tour if you have any.

We left the crew training room, and went down to the ships Engine Control Room.

This is one of the two secured areas on the ship.... And we were accompanied by *3* ship security officers! the Engine Control room is HUGE! There are a million monitors, and displays and alarms going off constantly. We were met by 2nd Engineer, and a 3rd engineer, both from Croatia. They stated explaining the different parts of the control room. A few minutes later the ships Chief Engineer from Italy came and definitely took charge of the show. He has been with Carnival for 30 years! He really got into giving a tour and explained a lot of how the systems all worked. Bensen had to step in, as he was running a little long.

We then went the rest of the way forward along deck 3 and we stuck our head into the ships medical center. There is a Croatian doctor inboard and 4 nurses. The crew gets their healthcare for free.

We then took the elevators up to deck 7 and took crew stairs up to deck 8 and we went to the stage of the Fantasia Lounge. We were met by Zed, the Stage Manager. We showed us the sound and lighting control panels, the various props, and how they operated the backdrops for the show. He then took us into the dancers dressing room and showed us how they do the quick costume changes. It was a pretty impressive setup. The shows are multimillion dollars productions. Some of the dressed cost 6,000 dollars!

We left the stage area and we went up two decks and we entered the ships bridge. Again... A secure area...so more ship security personnel were present. And they stood very close by. We were met by the ships captain, Capt. Tuminello. Very charming man! He took us through the various ship navigation controls, and showed us the navigation, GPS, and weather computers. He showed us how they still use paper charts to navigate.

We then each took pictures with the captain, which were delivered to our cabin later in the day.

We left the bridge and went back down to deck 7 and we went out to the bow of the ship. This is an off limits area to guests. This area is where the crew can come to smoke and get some sunlight. They have their own (small) pool. There is also a crew smoking area.

We then went into the crews bar...yes they have their own bar! Pool tables, dart board, Wii, big screen TV, etc. they are allowed to drink, but Carnival has a strict rule about drinking too much. These guys are always on duty in case of an emergency.

And that was the end of the tour! We filled out a tour survey. We then got a Behind The Fun ball cap, and a lanyard.

When I went back to my cabin, there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and cookies and muffins from Chef Paul!!! Very awesome and surprising!

The tour went fast....took the full 3 hours... And was worth every penny! I highly recommend this tour if you have any interest in hour a cruise ship operates.

Another noteworthy thing.... EVERY crew member we passed throughout the tour had a huge smile and always said good morning, and asked if we were having a good time. Most crew never has contact with the guests, and I think they like when these tours come through.

I will try to answer any questions about this tour if you have any.

Cool! Thanks I may sign up for this on my cruise next week!

We did this on Conquest and I agree...if one has any interest whatsoever in how things are done on a cruise ship, the tour is a must.

One thing we saw that you did not mention...we saw the brig and morgue...not the inside of either, though. But we know they exist.

We did this on Conquest and I agree...if one has any interest whatsoever in how things are done on a cruise ship, the tour is a must.

One thing we saw that you did not mention...we saw the brig and morgue...not the inside of either, though. But we know they exist.

Wow! We did not see this on the Sensation. but I guess each ship probably has these things.

Wow! We did not see this on the Sensation. but I guess each ship probably has these things.

We also saw the brig & morgue doors.

Re. mobility issues. I have difficulty standing so I brought my "seat cane" and it was great to be able to sit when able to do so. I can do the stairs as long as I have a railing to hold on to. My SO carried my seat cane up for me when we did the stairs.

For the photo with the captain, he told me to sit in front, but I said "no".

We did it on the Freedom & it was $99 each but well worth it.

Cool! Thanks I may sign up for this on my cruise next week!

Do it, did it on the Glory 5 day two years ago. We did all of what the OP posted plus we went to the boat deck where the lifeboats are stored and they opened one up for us to look inside. This is the smaller boat not used for tendering (single screw/rudder if you look up on the promenade deck). Which was very interesting to see how many they can cram on board.

On the bow we also had a group photo taken and returned to the cabin. The only other addition is we stopped outside the doors marked "Brig" and "Morgue" though they didn't open it. We saw the Crew and Staff dining room and saw the difference. The sickbay was skipped as they were treating crew.

The ONLY time we sat was in the training center and this was the ONLY bathroom break.

Well worth it, $90 for us I believe, ended in the steak house with mimosas or OJ for the younger set.

I would do the tour if you are into that sort of thing like me. I would even do it again. And yes, met in the Library and were wanded by security and they showed up on the Bridge and Engine Control Room.

Awesome experience. Did this on Legend in 2010 and it was worth every penny. Loved the entire tour especially getting to go up on the bridge. Wow. 95.00 at the time. Tour guide was awesome. True Carnival member.

• 3 months later...
Sounds awesome! How long is the tour and what time did it start?

The tour on the smaller ships (Fantasy Class) is 3-4 hours long depending on how many questions get asked and where they take you. The tour is always on the last sea day and usually starts around 9:00 am.

My dad went on the tour on the Carnival Fantasy and he really enjoyed it but said that it is a lot of walking with narrow steps along the way

Is this available on the Magic? What's the cost and when/where to sign up?

Yes it will be available on the Magic. You sign up for the tour at the Shore Excursion desk. The best thing to do is to sign up for it as soon as you board the ship to ensure availability. The cost on the larger ships is $95.00 per person

Archived