Condo on the market 17 months...now the closing date is during our cruise

tasmith09

We have been through the nightmare of trying to sell in this economy and have made it through...almost..

We listed our condo in Chicago when we moved to MI in November 2011 and tried to sell it traditionally for months and when that didn't work, started the short sale process. After almost a year of waiting on the banks approval, we finally got it and a closing date...which just happens to fall when we are supposed to be in Belize.

We leave for our cruise in 6 days. Thankfully, our attorney has been working with us and overnighted the closing docs to us, which we signed with a notary, and overnighted back to make sure they have everything they need before we leave.

Crossing my fingers everything goes through without a hitch while we are away and unreachable during the closing. In case there is a problem, is there any information I give the attorney to reach us (our cells are usually off), or any way of receiving or sending documents while at sea??

Just had to share with all of you who I'm sure can feel my pain at the thought of something getting in the way of this long-awaited vacation..and give those of you hope who are similar situations that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Also, I did my single digit dance yesterday!

...Crossing my fingers everything goes through without a hitch while we are away and unreachable during the closing. In case there is a problem, is there any information I give the attorney to reach us (our cells are usually off), or any way of receiving or sending documents while at sea??...

Congratulations on the home sale.

This is not the timr to pinch pennies! I would get an international cell phone plan and keep my cell on, or at least check frequently for calls. On the day of the closing, I would be available on the ship that whole time (no excursions.).

If you bring a laptop or netbook, you can use email along with receiving and sending attachments.

I hope it goes smoothly!

Is there anyone you could give a temporary power of attorney to that would allow them to sign or handle things for you?

I know we bought a house and the owners lived in another state and could not be at the closing. A friend had power of attorney to sign everything.

There are shore to ship numbers. Find out from Carnival what the ships number is just in case. Yes the ships can help you out as much as humanly possible.

The above recommendations are not bad either....getting an internet package, etc, except the one of not going on excursions.....LOL You will get back at a reasonable time on most excursions to find out if anything needs to be faxed to you then faxed back.....

use the ship internet to get access to your email and electronic sign any last minute documents

We are bringing our laptop. I consider myself fairly technologically advanced, but you lost me. How do you electronically sign docs?? Normally we print them off, sign them, and scan them back in..

give your attorney power of attorney to sign the documents on your behalf. I'm in real estate and see this all the time. curious why your attorney didn't recommend this to you.

We did sign and have notarized a "power of attorney" document with our closing docs packet...didn't realize this is what that is for.

Why not just use your cell phone since you will have them with you.

The guy at sprint said any calls received or made out of the country are astronomical in costs. We would rather not have a crazy high bill when we get back if we can avoid it.

Giving your attorney, a friend or relative the power of attorney to handle the transaction, or any last minute changes is done all the time. Since you've waited so long to sell, and are eager to sell, I wouldn't foresee allowing them to act in your behalf to be a detriment to your interest. Also, you can discuss any possible scenarios with the person having the power of attorney, any list or how they should handle such scenarios, but again at/by closing everything has already been negotiated or determined, in most transactions. Congratulations on the sale, and enjoy your cruise.

Also when I travel international, I get an international text/message plan in place of using for my cellphone, and to supplement the email for non-emergency situations.

The PoA is all you need. You are lucky to sell a condo in Chicagoland in 17month's took us 3 years & lost a bundle. Are buyer was out of state and their lawyer did everything with out them.

Hanover Park to be exact...and with all the money we put into it to update it and continued payment on extremely high HOA dues, we have lost THOUSANDS...but yes, I am glad it didn't take any longer.

Congrats on the sale !!

I am apparently on Jury Duty this summer. They better not call me to appear while I'm suppose to be on the cruise. What are they gonna do? Drag my b*** away from Grand Cayman?! They can just wait and put me in jail when I get home. (Hooray - couple more days vacation !_:rolleyes:

It's a short sale, you signed power of attorney and assume the bank already gave the ok? So go have a cruise not much to lose.

Sorry just closed on one and trying to get out of the old one before the b2b on Saturday. I feel your pain but nothing we can do!

The guy at sprint said any calls received or made out of the country are astronomical in costs. We would rather not have a crazy high bill when we get back if we can avoid it.

its not as bad as he is saying I have sprint and we pt on a international plan every time we cruise and they can do it a couple different ways either 1.99 or less a min. or they have a monthly plan for 4.99 a month with you can add before you leave and take off when you get back and it can be prorated just for the week. Well worth it.

its not as bad as he is saying I have sprint and we pt on a international plan every time we cruise and they can do it a couple different ways either 1.99 or less a min. or they have a monthly plan for 4.99 a month with you can add before you leave and take off when you get back and it can be prorated just for the week. Well worth it.

We do the same thing. But we have Verizon. On our last cruise we had a famly matter come up the day before we left. We talked almost daily to our son. Sometimes 2 and 3 times. Bill was under $75. No problem. It was a 7 day cruise by the way. Well worth the plan.

I guess it is different from state to state, but when our buyer asked to change the closing date (we would be moving that day), our real estate agent said we didn't have to be at the actual closing. She met us on the original closing date at the title office, we signed everything and the rest of the closing was done four days later.

I just found this on another thread:

Emergency Contact from Land Telephone:

Friends and family may call guests on board via Sea Mobile Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

1-877-CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) – from the U.S

1-732-335-3284 - from outside the U.S

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard; Visa; American Express; The Discover Card; Diner's Club.

Additionally, I would suggest the caller know the guest's Booking Number and Cabin Number....

AGAIN, that was posted on another thread.

give your attorney power of attorney to sign the documents on your behalf. I'm in real estate and see this all the time. curious why your attorney didn't recommend this to you.

I agree. All you do at the closing is just keep signing and initializing tons of paperwork wherever they tell you to. Kind of robotic. This is something that your attorney could easily do if you gave power of attorney.

Both times we have bought houses the seller gave the power of attorney to the realtor and the realtor did their part in the closing. The seller has never been present.

Don't worry about it, trust your realtor/attorney/friend whomever you give PoA too, and have a nice cruise. Congrats on the sale!

x2 was my thought aswell

Archived