Why no Grand Africa Voyage?

Here's a question that just occurred to me:

Why doesn't HAL run a Grand Africa Voyage?

With the Grand World, Grand Asia & Australia, Grand Med, and Grand South America, it seems to be a gaping hole in the map.

Has HAL ever done a circumnavigation of Africa? I think that would be an awesome journey. Presumably with embarkation and debarkation both in either Fort Lauderdale or Civitavecchia.

I would also propose a Grand Atlantic Worlds Voyage, starting in New York or Boston, hopping over to England and Portugal, down the West coast of Africa, up through the British insular territories, to the Canary islands, across to the Caribbean, jutting down to South America, and then back up to the embarkation port.

Here's a question that just occurred to me:

Why doesn't HAL run a Grand Africa Voyage?

With the Grand World, Grand Asia & Australia, Grand Med, and Grand South America, it seems to be a gaping hole in the map.

Has HAL ever done a circumnavigation of Africa? I think that would be an awesome journey. Presumably with embarkation and debarkation both in either Fort Lauderdale or Civitavecchia.

I would also propose a Grand Atlantic Worlds Voyage, starting in New York or Boston, hopping over to England and Portugal, down the West coast of Africa, up through the British insular territories, to the Canary islands, across to the Caribbean, jutting down to South America, and then back up to the embarkation port.

Parts of Africa are politically unstable . Also pirates in the Gulf of Aden are a problem .

Many ports/countries in Africa are not equipped or suitable for cruise ships and their passengers .

Grand Africa cruise would have to many sea days for many people.

Only line that springs to mind for Africa is MSC, who if I recall sail out of South Africa. I remember looking at one cruise a few weeks ago that sailed from SA up to the United Kingdom and stopped in two or three places in Africa on the way (then some in the Canaries and the west coast of Spain).

A passenger count for the cruise might give you an answer, if the cruise did not sell well there you go.

Technically it was a "Grand Africa and the Mediterranean" cruise AND they had to cancel a lot of the ports. It was in 2011 - the height of what the media called the "Arab Spring". We got on the Prinsendam as it came back in to FLL for the crossing to Europe and the crew said that almost all of the the African ports were cancelled (think Tunisia, Egypt, etc) and the few that they went to were not well received by the guests. It's too bad, as there are parts of Africa that we would love to cruise to, but cannot take the World Cruise, however until areas of the continent are more politically stable, I suppose flying to and from will have to do.

I think he asking about whether HAL will do a circumnavigation of Africa .

Example is Barcelona to Barcelona in two segments.

Example Barcelona - Cape Town then Cape Town - Barcelona .

How about a Singapore- Capetown-Singapore run, lots of great stops in between...

Some of the luxury cruise lines, line Crystal and Silversea, do run cruises along the West Coast of Africa, stopping in countries like Namibia, Ghana, Angola, Senegal and Morocco. But they are still generally avoiding the East Coast at the moment, I think due to the political instability and pirates. I would love to do the Africa cruise that Crystal offers, but 21 days is a week too long for me.

Michael

As part of the Amsterdam World Voyage, they just completed visiting some ports in Africa.

I have been following a couple of blogs, one by a CC member kweenkaren and an experienced cruiser Jeff Farschman http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.ca

When they were sailing thru the area known to have pirates, razor wire was strung on the promenade deck and security detail was deployed.

Karen has been on board for 106 days and Jeff for 213 days as of today.

Rockfan2

As part of the Amsterdam World Voyage, they just completed visiting some ports in Africa.

I have been following a couple of blogs, one by a CC member kweenkaren and an experienced cruiser Jeff Farschman http://amazingvoyages2.blogspot.ca

When they were sailing thru the area known to have pirates, razor wire was strung on the promenade deck and security detail was deployed.

Karen has been on board for 106 days and Jeff for 213 days as of today.

Rockfan2

I've been following Kw.Karen too, nice pics, but what is your point?

On Sept 2 I sailed on the Princendam from Lisbon to Capetown. We stopped in Casablanca, Southern Morocco, dakar, Banjul, Accra, Cotounu, Abijan, Walvis Bay, Luderitz and Cape Town. After we left it went to East London, Port Elisabeth, Durban, zanzibar, Mombassa heading out to Singapore. we had 500 on the way down and they were very light to Singapore. We were sopossed to to to Sao Tome, but it was cancelled.

Princess has done it about 4 times in the last 12 years. There are many problems with this trip today. Last time it was planned they cancelled several stops. I think it was Gabon and Camaroon. I think a cruise line plans to stop in Angola in 2015. Strange.

I loved it. Took it just for the It. In 2001 I took my first cruise, did not like it and vowed never, never to go on another cruise. after the Africa cruise I am now 4 star with HAL and Top Elite with Princess.

Jeffrey

It seems to me that they are experimenting with various Africa ports as part of world cruises and grand voyages, and may well offer a circumnavigation of Africa once they have enough ports that are both safe and attractive to guests.

On the plus side for HAL, African ports can likely be most rewarding for the shore excursion office as most pax will be reluctant to venture out by themselves; but will be willing to pay for guided tours since there is so much unspoiled nature and grand sights to see that most pax haven't seen yet.

Most African countries are now improving their economies rapidly, and so should be quite attractive as cruise ports in the next few years.

Archived