Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

Oh yes, We would use points to fly from Miami to the West Coast if we take the Copa promo.

We will both be retired as of the beginning of the trip, so not really concerned with how much time it takes to get home.

11 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

If you or anyone needs expert flying info just ping me I’ll do my best to get a timely response.  You might check sites like kayak and you might be able to book air cheaper.  I would think that time of year you might find a deal from a booking site .

Lonedaddy, That’s a very generous gesture. I may seek your advice at a much later time, we just booked Feb. 2026 Capetiwn to Dubai. In the meantime, I will try to educate myself on flight classes, etc.   Just searched ChatGPT and got a very quick but detailed explanation too so that’s a good start. 

1 hour ago, Shoreviewgirl said:

Lonedaddy, That’s a very generous gesture. I may seek your advice at a much later time, we just booked Feb. 2026 Capetiwn to Dubai. In the meantime, I will try to educate myself on flight classes, etc.   Just searched ChatGPT and got a very quick but detailed explanation too so that’s a good start. 

If you fly from Minnesota (MSP?) you will definitely have a connection.  Regent uses TK, QR, AU, EY often and all nice airlines TK if you fly the 789.  I just used miles for my Trip QR DFW-DOH-CPT with a 4 hr layover in DOH (perfect for shower and a meal in a nice airport) and then returning QR JNB to DOH 3 night stopover and DOH-PHL-DFW on AA.  You will have lots of choices there.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

OK, Lonedaddy, going to take you up on this. We are on the Jan 5, 24 Cape Town to Rio. We are getting Regent to handle the air to Capetown or Joburg ( as we are going early to do a short Safari), and we will deviate.

My question starts with the return from Rio. We are going to do this one on our own, originally thinking of using points for this, but looking at flights now there is a promo for business with Copa for around $1000 Can to Miami with a 2 hr stop in Panama. The plane has lir flat seats, however I do realize it could be changed.

Everything else is significantly more- 3000 for South American lines, and 5000 plus for North American lines.

I guess only we can decide if we want to take the chance on that promo, we’re not worried about level of service, as much as the comfortable seat. Another consideration is they have a 10:30 am flight, so not a red eye. Just wondering what you think- would it be something you would consider, or would you wait to see if the North American Airlines pricing comes down somewhat. 
It is a non refundable ticket, with one change allowed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

what are the air credits for each leg I see this on kayak https://kay.ac/41D6rK   2659 1 stop on AA.  

Edited by Lonedaddy

11 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Well, just checked, and that promo seems to not be available anymore. Thought that might happen. Back to the drawing board again.

In any case I guess that made my mind up for me!

Kayak still showing the COPA fares on the 24th and 25th

image.thumb.png.4fba431f61ce9470b7ae56d1022ae91c.png

image.png

Lonedaddy, thanks for looking that up. We are looking to do 2 or 3 nights post cruise in Rio, so 21st or 22. I really wish I had jumped on it earlier. Someone on another site advised against any of the South American Airlines, but even when you book North American lines most seem to include those in the itinerary. Other than the really high priced ones. 

I shall just have to keep looking!

Update on our air customization request:

We submitted 5 different options, with the non-stop to Rome (in November) as our first choice.  Two of our options came back with an upcharge, three were ‘not available’.  We decided the upcharges were more than we wanted to pay, but were surprised and disappointed that none of our other options were even available.  No options without an upcharge were suggested or offered. 

We will continue to consider options such as taking the air credit, while we investigate using miles or cash payment.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments made on our original enquiry.

1 hour ago, 2rogues said:

Update on our air customization request:

We submitted 5 different options, with the non-stop to Rome (in November) as our first choice.  Two of our options came back with an upcharge, three were ‘not available’.  We decided the upcharges were more than we wanted to pay, but were surprised and disappointed that none of our other options were even available.  No options without an upcharge were suggested or offered. 

We will continue to consider options such as taking the air credit, while we investigate using miles or cash payment.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments made on our original enquiry.

If you don't mind sharing what were the upcharges and were they Non stop.  How much is the air credit?  

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

If you don't mind sharing what were the upcharges and were they Non stop.  How much is the air credit?  

The upcharges were $600 for the non-stop and $450 for the one-stop option (plus the deviation fee of course).

The air credit is $1500.

17 minutes ago, 2rogues said:

The upcharges were $600 for the non-stop and $450 for the one-stop option (plus the deviation fee of course).

The air credit is $1500.

The nonstop from Toronto is pricing at around $3900 on kayak.  So, their price isn't awful.  Unless you can use milage it will be hard to beat that.  It is certainly worth the extra $150 to go no stop.  Are you leaving on the 14th for the Nov 15th navigator and going to Rome to Miami?  If so and you depart on the 14th without a night in Rome any hiccup and the boat will leave without you.  I also believe with the regent option you will transport from FCO to the ship.    If you book on regent air, they will get you to the boat.  Not that much a risk since they overnight in Rome the first night.  There are some 1 stops in the 1360 - 1600 range on condor/Lufthansa or Turkish depends on when you want to arrive you may need to leave on the 13th and get a hotel.    Just some things to consider. Did they give you an no additional cost option?

3 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

The nonstop from Toronto is pricing at around $3900 on kayak.  So, their price isn't awful.  Unless you can use milage it will be hard to beat that.  It is certainly worth the extra $150 to go no stop.  Are you leaving on the 14th for the Nov 15th navigator and going to Rome to Miami?  If so and you depart on the 14th without a night in Rome any hiccup and the boat will leave without you.  I also believe with the regent option you will transport from FCO to the ship.    If you book on regent air, they will get you to the boat.  Not that much a risk since they overnight in Rome the first night.  There are some 1 stops in the 1360 - 1600 range on condor/Lufthansa or Turkish depends on when you want to arrive you may need to leave on the 13th and get a hotel.    Just some things to consider. Did they give you an no additional cost option?

Thanks for your comments and input.  And, they did not give us a ‘no additional cost option’.

1 hour ago, 2rogues said:

Thanks for your comments and input.  And, they did not give us a ‘no additional cost option’.

Regent will give you a “no additional cost option” 75 days prior to embarkation.

4 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Regent will give you a “no additional cost option” 75 days prior to embarkation.

Really?! I thought the value proposition of booking at 210 days is that you pay a fee and have the assurance that you are all nicely booked. Granted, you might have a less than optimal itinerary but at least you are booked. Not true?

4 hours ago, wcsdkqh said:

Not really any options. It will be your assigned flights. You can still deviate or take the credit and book yourself bug available flights and pricing could be a problem that late in the process. 

On 4/23/2024 at 4:56 PM, vegasdriven said:

Lonedaddy, thanks for looking that up. We are looking to do 2 or 3 nights post cruise in Rio, so 21st or 22. I really wish I had jumped on it earlier. Someone on another site advised against any of the South American Airlines, but even when you book North American lines most seem to include those in the itinerary. Other than the really high priced ones. 

I shall just have to keep looking!

Just to follow up- I spent the afternoon yesterday, and after some dogged perseverance(yes, I am the proverbial dog with bone type), I managed to get that promo from Copa.

I think that will work well for us, as even if they change the plane from the lie flat seating it is a daytime flight so shouldn’t be too much of an issue - of course, any manner of things could go wrong, but hey, isn’t that the excitement of travel😄

3 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

Just to follow up- I spent the afternoon yesterday, and after some dogged perseverance(yes, I am the proverbial dog with bone type), I managed to get that promo from Copa.

I think that will work well for us, as even if they change the plane from the lie flat seating it is a daytime flight so shouldn’t be too much of an issue - of course, any manner of things could go wrong, but hey, isn’t that the excitement of travel😄

If you are going MIA to YVR that will beclose  the longest leg and not in lie flat for sure.   Have you looked at routings to LAX ?  

Edited by Lonedaddy

Lonedaddy. I will look for something half way, maybe, or use points on Alaska for first class domestic. We did that a couple of years ago to Miami from Seattle and it was just fine. 

• Like 1

We are new to Regent, and it sounds like we ought to deviate the air for our Northern Europe cruise this Fall. My question is, if we want to fly out a day early, for one extra night, do we lose our transfer to the ship? Also, since the ship is departing from Southhampton, how far is that from London where we fly into? Will we be responsible to get ourselves to SouthHampton from London? Same question on the backside.  thank you in advance

42 minutes ago, Oregonangelwings said:

We are new to Regent, and it sounds like we ought to deviate the air for our Northern Europe cruise this Fall. My question is, if we want to fly out a day early, for one extra night, do we lose our transfer to the ship? Also, since the ship is departing from Southhampton, how far is that from London where we fly into? Will we be responsible to get ourselves to SouthHampton from London? Same question on the backside.  thank you in advance

I believe you will lose transfer to ship if you deviate and stay night before unless you in a concierge and have the extra night include which they will fly you a day before OR if you book a pre night on regent.  

Heathrow is about an hour and a half to 2 hours depending on terminal and traffic.  If you stay in central London probably an extra half hour.  Transport it Southampton is not cheap so factor that in the regent hotel decision.  There are some shared ride options but I will let others speak to that.  

we have been to London several times so last cruise we opted to just take private car to Southampton and stay the night there as hotels were reasonable.  

if your desire is to spend some time in London it would be best imhop to do it on one end or the other and spend 3 nights as there is plenty to do during the day and shows to see or dinner cruises at night west end abbaworld…. 

I want to start off by thanking everyone for all of their valuable input and suggestions as I have gathered a huge amount of information from this board.

We have always booked our own air  ( 300 days prior ), only cruised minimally  and for a trip April 2025 we decided to book Regent Air plus paid the $175.00 as we live in Calgary a Non Gateway city and remain undecided regarding taking the air credit ( concern with not getting seats together, possible unknown up charge with too many layovers)  .Our cruise embarks in Fusina as we will be flying into Venice and disembarks in Rome. My understanding is 210 days prior to.... Is it flight departure date or cruise embarkation ? We can call and deviate along with the fee ( we will have many options researched ). Should I expect upcharge if we fly direct to Europe with a Regent designated Airline ( I think Air Canada is one ) and only have one transfer Fra. or do  I need to have two layovers one being in a gateway city which I believe Toronto is ?

Last question can we book Regent Air one way as I can possibly fly Westjet direct Rome to YYC and use points for the return and avoid layovers ?

Thank you in advance as this is all completely new to me and want to make sure I fully understand the process.

.Our cruise embarks in Fusina as we will be flying into Venice and disembarks in Rome. My understanding is 210 days prior to.... Is it flight departure date or cruise embarkation ? embarkation date

We can call and deviate along with the fee ( we will have many options researched ). Should I expect upcharge if we fly direct to Europe with a Regent designated Airline ( I think Air Canada is one ) It is possible to be charged and but they may have a route that is suitable.  Seems like a few choices over the pond connecting in FRA, AMS, LHR.  They may put you through YUL on TK as well as contract with them.   

and only have one transfer Fra. or do  I need to have two layovers one being in a gateway city which I believe Toronto is ? Could go either way WestJet has direct flights to Europe.  

Last question can we book Regent Air one way as I can possibly fly Westjet direct Rome to YYC and use points for the return and avoid layovers ?  You can utilize only one of the regent air legs and get usually half the total credit.  

Best bet is to start looking at a site like kayak to see what schedules are available and have your choices (maybe 3-5) to submit to regent 210 days out.  It may require you to stay and extra day or arrive early.  You can also deviate the city if you want to arrive early to Florence or Milan and take the high speed train which is really nice.