Photo Review: Allure Eastern 4/14/2013 The Good Karma Cruise

Sheesh! That bugs me...years of cruising...keep your plonk:rolleyes:, I want to go out on the helipad!!

Having been on the Explorer twice, the helipad was always open, even at sea. That was nice, really enjoyed it, having a beer, winds blowing 50 MPH plus, socializing with the other riff raff.

On Oasis, champagne, alligator shirts, burkenstocks, Officers ...... quite the letdown.

Having been on the Explorer twice, the helipad was always open, even at sea. That was nice, really enjoyed it, having a beer, winds blowing 50 MPH plus, socializing with the other riff raff.

On Oasis, champagne, alligator shirts, burkenstocks, Officers ...... quite the letdown.

I love the wind in my hair when I'm sailing! Maybe one day I will get invited!

Hi I would love to get a copy of your schedule to follow. my email is

elainerathgeb@gmail.com Your review is great.

thanks

Sure thing- it might take me a bit to get organized, our back up storage system is out of commission and much frantic IT work is being done. It appears my Allure schedule was one of the casualties. I do have a copy on my iPad, so it's recoverable, but give me a little time. We are flat out with family events this weekend, a 16 th birthday, first communion and a confirmation! Oh yeah, and it's Mother's Day, and oh yeah, my mother is here visiting!;)

Do you, or any of the other posters happen to recall if specialty coffees, such as cappuccino or latte's, are available in the main dining room during your meal?

They are, and do cost extra. I don't know what is offered, because DH usually would get a morning Starbucks while I chilled in the solarium! :D

I think they usually have all the usual stuff you could want, lattes, cappuccinos, cafe americano;) whatever you need!

• 2 weeks later...
Loving the review and I too plan things out to the 9th degree. Just wondering where you found information on the smaller shows such as love and marriage precruise?

That's why I look for the cruise compasses for the itinerary I plan to do...Im waiting now for someone who is sailing Jewel since she moved to post a set!

Each day I posted the compasses and on the page of " evening activities" you can find the Love and Marriage, Quest and other " activities. I find this is enormously helpful to know of you want to take in some of those, since they can easily conflict with shows you may book. We usually enjoy both since here is always that X factor of never knowing what your fellow pax will do:eek:

But I also take note of the solarium adult only dance parties which DH and I do like when we cruise just the two of us. And given how my girls enjoyed Karaoke so much, I would probably look for a those events too if I were cruising with them.

Oh- almost forgot! L&M was day 3 at 10:30 ( any later and they lose the " older married" couple) and Quest was day 5 at 11:30 (to prevent the younguns from coming) on this cruise

Edited by Familygoboston

That's why I look for the cruise compasses for the itinerary I plan to do...Im waiting now for someone who is sailing Jewel since she moved to post a set!

Each day I posted the compasses and on the page of " evening activities" you can find the Love and Marriage, Quest and other " activities. I find this is enormously helpful to know of you want to take in some of those, since they can easily conflict with shows you may book. We usually enjoy both since here is always that X factor of never knowing what your fellow pax will do:eek:

But I also take note of the solarium adult only dance parties which DH and I do like when we cruise just the two of us. And given how my girls enjoyed Karaoke so much, I would probably look for a those events too if I were cruising with them.

Oh- almost forgot! L&M was day 3 at 10:30 ( any later and they lose the " older married" couple) and Quest was day 5 at 11:30 (to prevent the younguns from coming) on this cruise

We are sailing out in July. So if I can find someone doing the same itinerary on the oasis all times should be the same? Is that correct? I guess it makes sense to keep it the same...

We are sailing out in July. So if I can find someone doing the same itinerary on the oasis all times should be the same? Is that correct? I guess it makes sense to keep it the same...

Should be similar, but there are many reasons they might change things around. The major things like days and times of arrival in ports should be very close. But things like bingo, trivia, meet and mingles, etc. could change for many reasons, including staff changes, or just the whim of the cruise director. There may also be special events during each cruise [like activities for a special group] that could cause the staff to rearrange events. I would not start scheduling your whole cruise based on someone else's Compasses.

Yes, they are usually pretty similar. I've planned two Allure Oasis cruises now based on others compasses and only had 2 items change ( Quest moved nights shortly after Oasis started sailing, but hasn't moved in years since. I can't remember the other, but I think it was the night of one of the outdoor late night parties) that affected my plans. Those were easily adjusted once on board.

So using the old compasses work very well, vs not having any plans and waiting till you board to book everything. There may be room in most shows (probably not comedy) if you wait, but you won't get your preferred times for MTD- you'd have to do the "no reservations" line to get the times you want. Mostly I like to plan ahead because I don't like to spend my first day on board standing in lines to book shows, dinners etc.

Should be similar, but there are many reasons they might change things around. The major things like days and times of arrival in ports should be very close. But things like bingo, trivia, meet and mingles, etc. could change for many reasons, including staff changes, or just the whim of the cruise director. There may also be special events during each cruise [like activities for a special group] that could cause the staff to rearrange events. I would not start scheduling your whole cruise based on someone else's Compasses.

I would start...if you read lots of reviews of these ships you will hear from people who wait to plan when they board often feel like they missed out and others who did pre plan say it was a really good idea to do so, at least for shows. If you simply don't care to plan, then don't plan ahead, but if you are a planner, go ahead and use another Compass to get your bearings about whats going on when. True, a trivia contest or two could move around but the major events, such as shows, formal nights, 70 s parties, parades, don't change much.

Good luck!

ETA Hey that was my 5000th post!...and on my own thread :-)

Edited by Familygoboston

. . . . True, a trivia contest or two could move around but the major events, such as shows, formal nights, 70 s parties, parades, don't change much. . . .

I understand the things for which you can get reservations in advance, but I would underscore one word in your response, "much" -- things don't change "much."

Congratulations on your 5000th. We should get there soon.

Yes, they are usually pretty similar. I've planned two Allure Oasis cruises now based on others compasses and only had 2 items change ( Quest moved nights shortly after Oasis started sailing, but hasn't moved in years since. I can't remember the other, but I think it was the night of one of the outdoor late night parties) that affected my plans. Those were easily adjusted once on board.

So using the old compasses work very well, vs not having any plans and waiting till you board to book everything. There may be room in most shows (probably not comedy) if you wait, but you won't get your preferred times for MTD- you'd have to do the "no reservations" line to get the times you want. Mostly I like to plan ahead because I don't like to spend my first day on board standing in lines to book shows, dinners etc.

I would start...if you read lots of reviews of these ships you will hear from people who wait to plan when they board often feel like they missed out and others who did pre plan say it was a really good idea to do so, at least for shows. If you simply don't care to plan, then don't plan ahead, but if you are a planner, go ahead and use another Compass to get your bearings about whats going on when. True, a trivia contest or two could move around but the major events, such as shows, formal nights, 70 s parties, parades, don't change much.

Good luck!

ETA Hey that was my 5000th post!...and on my own thread :-)

And every post as been memorable....:D

Skip

Aaaand....I'm done! After looking forward for so long in anticipation of this review, I cannot forgive myself for taking so long to finally read it all the way through....Stupid work-Always getting in the way :rolleyes:

I really enjoy your style of reviews and your Oasis review was single-handedly responsible for the reason I booked the Allure.

Aaaand....I'm done! After looking forward for so long in anticipation of this review, I cannot forgive myself for taking so long to finally read it all the way through....Stupid work-Always getting in the way :rolleyes:

I really enjoy your style of reviews and your Oasis review was single-handedly responsible for the reason I booked the Allure.

Aww thanks! I think i should get a marketing fee from Royal! :D;)I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Do the same thing- I often wait for the reviewer to be "done" and then I read all in one sitting so I can savor it :o

Have a blast on Allure!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are sailing Allure on 7/21, and your review has really helped!

When we went on Oasis, we didn't bother to get off the ship in Nassau. DS was only 3 at the time, and we felt like we just didn't have enough time in port to do much...and that he'd have more fun having the splash pad all to himself :-)

This time, with DS being 5, we are thinking about Blue Lagoon for a beach day. But I'm still concerned that we won't have much time there given the 2:00 sail time. Do you recall about what time you got to the island, and what time you got on the ferry for the return?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the wonderful review! We are sailing Allure on 7/21, and your review has really helped!

When we went on Oasis, we didn't bother to get off the ship in Nassau. DS was only 3 at the time, and we felt like we just didn't have enough time in port to do much...and that he'd have more fun having the splash pad all to himself :-)

This time, with DS being 5, we are thinking about Blue Lagoon for a beach day. But I'm still concerned that we won't have much time there given the 2:00 sail time. Do you recall about what time you got to the island, and what time you got on the ferry for the return?

Thanks again!

Glad it was helpful! The shuttle ferries to get back to Allure (if I recall correctly ) left at 11:30 ( board at 11:15) and 12 ( board at 11:45) They announce this and even remind the Allure pax that these are the ferries they need to be on over the loud speaker! Yes, it's early, but it takes about 30 + minutes to ferry back and the pier is long and as you can see from the photos, Allure is at the end of it. So they want to give you some time to make that walk.

I think with the little guy, it would be worth it. It's fun to " watch" the animals even of you don't pay for an encounter, and the water is super calm and shallow. There are chairs under palapas for shade too. You really don't need to eat sinc should be back on board for a late lunch, but. Think your lunch would be included. It's ok, standard BBQ fare.

Enjoy your cruise! I think your son will remember more of it, and now there are the characters from Dreamworks, which if he's into that, makes it more fun too!

Enjoyed your review, thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

Thanks Melodie !

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much for such a detailed account of your trip. I am a PLANNER and your post will help get "my schedule" started.

Thanks cruise Bandit! Glad to help! I think planning is 1/2 ( or more;)) of the fun! Have a great cruise!

• 5 months later...

I had a few people read this review recently and they pointed out that the 3rd page of the scan of the teen contract got cut off...I rescanned it, though the photo is now larger than the others, at least it's read-able now!:o

I want to remind anyone thinking of using this that I adapted it from another CC mom's rules for much younger children; and for my own, at the time, 16 & 18 YOs. At that time I had 2 significant factors that allowed me to give them a lot of leeway: they were together all the time and they have proven to make very good choices and therefore have earned a fairly high level of trust from their dad and I (they are older now, but fortunately, that hasn't changed!)

Your own rules or "level of oversight" may need to be less or more.;)

149870878.jpg

149870879.jpg

1490918_10202772265765574_355207009_o.jpg

149870881.jpg

I fist read thrip ugh your review. We are taking our first cruise in April aboard the Allure and are really excited abut it. We are "Bostonians" as well and this year our cruise coincides with the first anniversary of the bombings. Coincidently, we were in Disney last year during the bombings and I have to say it was very scary. I was calling all my friends as the marathon is yearly staple for many of us..

Enjoyed your take on this Cruise" I am completely excited for it..