Photo Review: Allure Eastern 4/14/2013 The Good Karma Cruise

Familygoboston, when you were on the Oasis, were the room fridges cold? I would like to store some bottles of water in there.

Been on 4 RCL ships, and one thing they have in common is the refrigerators are just about worthless.

I now take a collapsible cooler with me, and I have our room steward fill it regularly.

There have been haven't there!! The aforementioned Gambee had photos of just anything you could ever want to see on board, Cruisin Cutie had such a sweet, wide eyed approach to everything, her enthusiasm was so infectious

I'm not very good or successful at using the search functions

Was Cruisin Cutie and Gambee on the Allure or Oasis? If so I would love to read there reviews could someone please post the links here?

Thanks

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751

Not sure if that link will work...if not just search for one of "gambee" posts his link to the Allure review is in his signature on every post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751

Not sure if that link will work...if not just search for one of "gambee" posts his link to the Allure review is in his signature on every post.

I thought I'd seen someone ask about these; but couldn't find the post later! If you plan to search- it appears CC has disabled the ability to " find all thread started by...." Search, and it comes up 0 for everyone and anyone you check. But if you search " find all posts by..." You will get a longer and less manageable list, but you will find the reviews. It's a bummer , but that's how it is.

Thank you so much for this review! We're sailing on the Allure in October and this has helped us SO MUCH! Looks like you guys had a wonderful vacation.

It was! And thank you!

Thank you so much for your review on Blue Lagoon, I will be in Nassau again in August, and we are looking for stuff to do there. You got some great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.

It's been 5 days since your last post!!!!!!!! What are we supposed to do now

Skip

Too funny Skip! Usually I love to drag it out too, but we are so busy right now! My DH has saved the Familygoboston domain name for me, and I've got to get started blogging...I just haven't had time to get it started!:D

Thank you so much for your review on Blue Lagoon, I will be in Nassau again in August, and we are looking for stuff to do there. You got some great pictures! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Thanks Gambee! We did like the place a lot- even of you don't do dolphins, the beach area is so nice! Are you doing Allure Oasis again, or one of the smaller ships?

Here's something weird I noticed- we are considering taking Enchantment from PC, ( since our Brillinace cruise was so rudely canceled :mad: and they still have not called me to tell me this!:rolleyes:) and I noticed that the Blue Lagoon beach break is not offered as a tour for the long day in Nassau (some of the smaller ships on the short itineraries stay till midnight) I found that puzzling:confused:

I have to do more research and see if anyone else has done that tour from Majesty or Monarch. You can go on your own but you have to cab over to the ferry dock on PI and then take the ferry to BL. Kind of roundabout. Let us know what you end up doing! Ill follow your review in August to figure out my Feb trip!;):p

Thanks Gambee! We did like the place a lot- even of you don't do dolphins, the beach area is so nice! Are you doing Allure Oasis again, or one of the smaller ships?

Here's something weird I noticed- we are considering taking Enchantment from PC, ( since our Brillinace cruise was so rudely canceled :mad: and they still have not called me to tell me this!:rolleyes:) and I noticed that the Blue Lagoon beach break is not offered as a tour for the long day in Nassau (some of the smaller ships on the short itineraries stay till midnight) I found that puzzling:confused:

I have to do more research and see if anyone else has done that tour from Majesty or Monarch. You can go on your own but you have to cab over to the ferry dock on PI and then take the ferry to BL. Kind of roundabout. Let us know what you end up doing! Ill follow your review in August to figure out my Feb trip!

I am actually going on the Carnival Breeze, still a large ship just a different line :). I am really excited to see how Carnival compares to NCL, RCCL and X.

Last time I looked into Blue Lagoon I noticed that it was cheaper to just book directly with them, but I guess you don't have the security that the cruise line offers. We are also considering paying for a resort fee and enjoy their private beach.

The review will obviously be in the Carnival Board, you can also friend me on Facebook (in my sig) and I will update there once the review starts :). Once again thanks for the pics and the review :)

I enjoyed your review...I like your style. Some really great pics as well - I thought the underwater shots were great.

This has to be your proudest review moment! THE Sailor Jack likes your style!!! That is the highest praise one can ever hope to receive! That man is AMAZING!! Congratulations!!!

Lauri

I enjoyed your review...I like your style. Some really great pics as well - I thought the underwater shots were great.

Wow! Step away for a day and look what happens! ;)Thank you Sailor Jack! But, truly your reviews are an inspiration to any one who attempts one! Thank you for the kind words, and I look forward to your next!

This has to be your proudest review moment! THE Sailor Jack likes your style!!! That is the highest praise one can ever hope to receive! That man is AMAZING!! Congratulations!!!

Lauri

I was going to type the same thing!!!:D Jan

And I realize I must give due credit- my husband is the photographer. He is self taught, but has mad crazy skills from years of working on his craft, courses and a photo library that had to relocated from our study, it was so large :eek:. Some of you might know him on the Nikon cafe boards. I am humbled to work with his stuff- and my words are are no match!

And I realize I must give due credit- my husband is the photographer. He is self taught, but has mad crazy skills from years of working on his craft, courses and a photo library that had to relocated from our study, it was so large :eek:. Some of you might know him on the Nikon cafe boards. I am humbled to work with his stuff- and my words are are no match!

Kathleen,

You keep mentioning all the other reviews ie. "your Rick" and Sailor Jack. I'll be your best friend if you'll post the links so I can continue my fantasy of enjoying their cruises too. After all I'm just about ready to dump you.:D

Thanks

Skip

P.S. I did find BillOh's review and I'm following that intently even as a woman from Boston keeps trying to hog it :p

Kathleen,

You keep mentioning all the other reviews ie. "your Rick" and Sailor Jack. I'll be your best friend if you'll post the links so I can continue my fantasy of enjoying their cruises too. After all I'm just about ready to dump you.:D

Thanks

Skip

P.S. I did find BillOh's review and I'm following that intently even as a woman from Boston keeps trying to hog it :p

Too funny, Skip, but I already apologized to Bill:o

For Sailor Jacks reviews, first, you must be sure to be in a safe place away from the public, because you will laugh so hard you will pee your pants! He has them all linked in his signature 6 posts above! I can't pick the funniest one, you will just have to judge for yourself!

Once you are all pee'd out it will be safe to read kanscocoa Allure review too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781792

Rsharp is guys guy, and just finishing up an Allure newbie cruiser review with an all access tour (that I would love to take one day) Linked below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834930

That out to give you something to chew on for a while!!;) Enjoy!:D

Edited by Familygoboston

Too funny, Skip, but I already apologized to Bill:o

For Sailor Jacks reviews, first, you must be sure to be in a safe place away from the public, because you will laugh so hard you will pee your pants! He has them all linked in his signature 6 posts above! I can't pick the funniest one, you will just have to judge for yourself!

Once you are all pee'd out it will be safe to read kanscocoa Allure review too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781792

Rsharp is guys guy, and just finishing up an Allure newbie cruiser review with an all access tour (that I would love to take one day) Linked below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1834930

That out to give you something to chew on for a while!!;) Enjoy!:D

K,......Your the best, and I'm sure Hubby tells you that all the time.

S

Great review, awesome pics, i loved all the detail and it looks like you guys had an amazing time, thank you for taking all that time to share this with everyone, there are many Allure reviews but they never get too old!!!

After our "formals", we started the evening with the early Ice Games show.

149870509.jpg

(spoiler alert- so I had to post! I don't know if this guest artist will be on your cruise, but she was pretty cool, so I had to share...not sure how anyone can do this!!)

149870510.jpg

Here's a tip, I just now realized, we never went to an ice show before ICE games. We got there late and sat on the side. We did see spectacular skating, but you don't get the full visual effects of the scenery as I see in your pics.

When on vacation we never watch television (actually other than the NFL and the Amazing Race, we never watch TV at home either) Several passengers who had watched CNN or FOX on board explained there were a couple of explosions at the finish line of the marathon. Obviously, this was upsetting. The Boston Marathon is a major regional event, the kids and many businesses have a holiday "Patriots Day" on Monday. We know many people who run, watch or volunteer at the Marathon every year. The place where the bombing happened is a place we visit and dine nearly twice a month.

I actually thought of you guys when I heard this. As a Marathoner with at least 7 friends there from the Columbus Running Club, I was watching it closely. I'm a combination of too old and 2 slow to qualify for Boston. At my age, I think the requirement is a 3:40 finish. Now, I'd like to think about taking the charity fundraising route to actually do it next year. I never watch TV either on a cruise, but on our last cruise Bin Laden was killed, so that was our exception.

Here's a tip, I just now realized, we never went to an ice show before ICE games. We got there late and sat on the side. We did see spectacular skating, but you don't get the full visual effects of the scenery as I see in your pics.

Yes, I mention in my "where to sit in studio B section, that for ice games , I prefer the seats front and center, but for Quest, I prefer to sit on the side.

I actually thought of you guys when I heard this. As a Marathoner with at least 7 friends there from the Columbus Running Club, I was watching it closely. I'm a combination of too old and 2 slow to qualify for Boston. At my age, I think the requirement is a 3:40 finish. Now, I'd like to think about taking the charity fundraising route to actually do it next year. I never watch TV either on a cruise, but on our last cruise Bin Laden was killed, so that was our exception.

We were very blessed none of our friends were involved. Many DNF, and now we are hearing there may be an opportunity for those folks to be at the head of the lottery for next years race!!

The great thing about Boston, Bill, is if you can get a charity to give you a number you can run any old pace you want!! Many of our friends do that. next year will be tough, so many want to get into the lottery and I think that the BAA really is trying to put the people who were affected this year at the head of the line.

Since, I have learned that some of my good friends and neighbors who volunteer in the medical tent have struggled with what they have seen, being untrained they were unprepared for the carnage. Did I mention that one neighbor, a foot doctor who has worked the med tent for years, was treating a group of young veterans running the marathon in full packs and boots for their charity, when they heard the explosion, they knew immediately what they were dealing with. They put their bloodied socks and boots back on and ran to the scene to assist. Our neighbor was quite moved by that!

There was an update today on the young girl whose brother died in the bombings, the doctors have been able to save her leg from the knee above which will give her much better mobility and she should be moving to rehab in the next couple of weeks.

It was a sad time, but there are so many heroic stories, that it is heartwarming.

On a lighter note, I am enjoying your review of Allure, sounds like you and the missus had a lovely time!

ETA: BTW Bill, I saw someone post in a review for an April sailing that a party was held at the helipad diamond and up tiers, did you get an invite to such a thing?? I never have and it's just about the only "diamond" thing I want except for my discount and the coupons _ we never once made it into the lounge for a free drink!! I really want to go to the helipad party!

Edited by Familygoboston

ETA: BTW Bill, I saw someone post in a review for an April sailing that a party was held at the helipad diamond and up tiers, did you get an invite to such a thing?? I never have and it's just about the only "diamond" thing I want except for my discount and the coupons _ we never once made it into the lounge for a free drink!! I really want to go to the helipad party!

I am not clear in my memory ,but I BELIEVE its usually a DIAMOND and above event, but they may vary it depending on how many are on board. I think I heard of Emerald's getting invited once. Other than the all access tour, the helipad is the only thing on this ship I still haven't done that I want to.

Yes, I mention in my "where to sit in studio B section, that for ice games , I prefer the seats front and center, but for Quest, I prefer to sit on the side.

We were very blessed none of our friends were involved. Many DNF, and now we are hearing there may be an opportunity for those folks to be at the head of the lottery for next years race!!

The great thing about Boston, Bill, is if you can get a charity to give you a number you can run any old pace you want!! Many of our friends do that. next year will be tough, so many want to get into the lottery and I think that the BAA really is trying to put the people who were affected this year at the head of the line.

Since, I have learned that some of my good friends and neighbors who volunteer in the medical tent have struggled with what they have seen, being untrained they were unprepared for the carnage. Did I mention that one neighbor, a foot doctor who has worked the med tent for years, was treating a group of young veterans running the marathon in full packs and boots for their charity, when they heard the explosion, they knew immediately what they were dealing with. They put their bloodied socks and boots back on and ran to the scene to assist. Our neighbor was quite moved by that!

There was an update today on the young girl whose brother died in the bombings, the doctors have been able to save her leg from the knee above which will give her much better mobility and she should be moving to rehab in the next couple of weeks.

It was a sad time, but there are so many heroic stories, that it is heartwarming.

On a lighter note, I am enjoying your review of Allure, sounds like you and the missus had a lovely time!

I wish I could remember who was starting the review:( I thought it was Oasis or Allure and it was def a Diamond and above event. I'm not sure but it may have just been Western Compasses, but I remember thinking when I saw the invite that I didnt get one:(

I am not clear in my memory ,but I BELIEVE its usually a DIAMOND and above event, but they may vary it depending on how many are on board. I think I heard of Emerald's getting invited once. Other than the all access tour, the helipad is the only thing on this ship I still haven't done that I want to.

On our Oasis cruise we were invited to the sail away from Labadee on the helipad and we were emerald.

On our Oasis cruise we were invited to the sail away from Labadee on the helipad and we were emerald.

Sheesh! That bugs me...years of cruising...keep your plonk:rolleyes:, I want to go out on the helipad!! Maybe C & A should have a menu of "amenities" you could pick, what (like the beverages in your cabin) you want, I'd gladly not set foot in the lounge again for a bigger balcony discount!:D

Anyway, thats OT, just venting!!