sea sickness

dvdisney

We're cruising on Saturday. I always have meds with me "just in case" for rough seas. This will be the first time cruising with my two-yr-old... any precautionary items that would help if she gets sea sick? Or help during sea sickness for a child?

Thanks!:D:D

Natural remedies include anything-Ginger and green apples(of all things!)

I always take a 6-pack of Ginger Ale -and several packets of Ginger Cookies when I cruise

-in addition to booking lower deck inside cabins, which ride beyond-sweet!

Angostura Bitters also acts as a great stomach-settler.

A 'dash' or two of Bitters in a small glass of Ginger Ale = end of problem, usually!

Natural remedies include anything-Ginger and green apples(of all things!)

I always take a 6-pack of Ginger Ale -and several packets of Ginger Cookies when I cruise

-in addition to booking lower deck inside cabins, which ride beyond-sweet!

Great! I'll pack some ginger cookies for her. We're on deck 9 spa balcony. Can't wait!

Great! I'll pack some ginger cookies for her.

We're on deck 9 spa balcony. Can't wait!

Let her nibble them all she wants!

And if you can sneak in a few sips of Ginger Ale as "Medicine you have to take!"

she might come out the other end with zero motion-sickness problems!

How about the green apples? Does she like those?

I've heard that even the smell of green apples does the trick!

Keep researching. I'm sure others will chime in, too.

Be optimistic and don't assume your child will be seasick.

Neither of our children nor our grandchildren have ever been seasick on cruises.

My big suggestion is to keep your child on as normal a diet (with foods like at home) and schedule as possible.

Have a great cruise! :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks all! I suppose I should have prefaced this....we had adopted our daughter, so we can't say she'll be like Mommy (who always gets seasick) or like Daddy (who never gets seasick) as we just don't know. So I've gotten some gingersnaps...she had a couple this evening, so I know she'll eat them ;)

Thanks!!!

We were on the Ecstasy when hurricane Rina hit Cozumel and there were very few people who weren't seasick and the captain told us to eat a green apple and keep moving, because when you stop and get still you feel the boat moving more. Take her to the arcade and keep her mind off of it. Hope you have a safe and smooth cruise.

I found Dramamine for Children on amazon. Chewable grape flavored tablets...works wonders for both my nephew and myself....and it doesn't cause the sleepies as most others do.

Plus you can use it as a precaution or once symptoms start...according to the package.

We're cruising on Saturday. I always have meds with me "just in case" for rough seas. This will be the first time cruising with my two-yr-old... any precautionary items that would help if she gets sea sick? Or help during sea sickness for a child?

Thanks!:D:D

My son and I get sea sick and the sea bands work well. Even works for my son in car; he gets car sick too. You need to place in right position for it to work instructions are in box. It would be great for 2yr old because I would not want to give child that young meds.

I use ginger pills chewables. they are like gum. Once sea sickness begins the entrance to the stomach closes so it is too late to take anything. with the chewables it enters your system at the mouth and still works if you are already sea sick. good luck and have fun .

We take bonine and start taking it 2 nights before cruise, we take at night as some get sleepy. Green apples or drink some apple juice each day. They have it on buffet at breakfast time. Hope you have a great cruise :)

Bonine is OK for adults but not for children unless your pediatrician recommends otherwise. I have never seen it used in a child under 12 years of age.

Dramamine for kids is an anti-histamine (similar to Benadryl), dimenhydrinate, which can have a "paradoxical" effect in children, meaning it can make them more awake instead of sleepy, so use with caution.

And my obligatory medication question answer- Always check with your pediatrician or pharmacist before giving any medication, over the counter or otherwise, to your child. Mention any other medications they are already taking for allergies, an ear infection, etc. including over the counter and herbal products. The safest route is non-pharmacological: ginger and seabands are great options.

And don't forget the power of suggestion-children are very intuitive. If you aren't worried about motion sickness and focus on having fun your kid is much more likely to feel fine!

Archived