Purchasing Wine and Spirits on board?

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam to Alaska this September and I have been reading about purchasing spirits and beer on board. My question is can you open the spirits on board to have a drink in your cabin? Or is it kept until you leave the ship in Vancouver?

Any alcohol that you buy in the shops on the ship or in the ports (wine is excluded) will be held until the end of the cruise.

But you can pre-purchase alcohol through HAL's site, or through Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) or through room service on the ship. That alcohol is delivered to your cabin for in-cabin consumption.

You can bring as much wine, champagne, bottled water, sodas and mixers ob board as you want -- no limit. And you can buy wine in all ports and bring that onto the ship. If you rake a bottle of wine to the dining room or a bar/lounge, you will be charged $18 per bottle corkage fee.

SPIRITS -- 1 Liter bottles -- prices below include the 15% gratuity

Cutty Sark -- $33.35

Kahlua -- $39.10

Vodka: Belvedere -- $72.45

Vodka: Tanqueray Sterling -- $36.80

Cognac: Remy Martin VSOP -- $102.35

Cognac: Remy Martin XO -- $228.85

Whiskey - Irish: Jameson --$44.85

Cognac: Hennessy VS -- $96.60

Tequila: Jose Quervo Gold -- $35.65

Sherry: Harvey's Medium --$59.80

Sherry: Tio Pepe --$59.80

Vodka: Stolichnaya --$31.05

Vodka: Skyy --$29.90

Vodka: Absolut --$33.35

Vodka: Chopin -- $72.45

Vodka: Grey Goose -- $71.30

Vodka: Finlandia -- $31.05

Vodka: Smirnoff -- $28.75

Rum: Bacardi White -- $36.80

Rum: Bacardi Gold -- $35.65

Liqueurs: Tia Maria --$52.90

Liqueurs: Southern Comfort --$39.10

Liqueurs: Sambuca -Opal Negro -- $47.15

Liqueurs: Grand Marnier -- $79.35

Liqueurs: Drambuie -- $63.25

Liqueurs: Cointreau -- $58.65

Liqueurs: Baileys Irish Cream -- $48.30

Liqueurs: Amaretto -- $54.05

Gin: Bombay Sapphire -- $44.85

Gin: Tanqueray -- $43.70

Gin: Beefeater -- $33.35

Whiskey: Seagrams V.O. -- $31.05

Whiskey: Seagrams 7 --$31.05

Whiskey: Canadian Club -- $33.35

Whiskey: Crown Royal --$44.85

Bourbon: Jim Beam -- $35.65

Scotch: J. Walker Black Label --$79.35

Scotch: J. Walker Red Label -- $37.95

Scotch: Dewar's White Label --$50.60

Scotch: J&B Rare -- $37.95

Scotch: Ballentines -- $41.40

Scotch: Chivas Regal - 12 Y.O. -- $67.85

Rum: Myers -- $33.35

BEER

Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Bud Light domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Budweiser domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

Corona imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Amstel Light imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Heineken imported beer: 6-pack -- $29.90

Miller Lite domestic beer: 6-pack -- $26.45

WINE PACKAGES

Navigator's Wine Package: 3-Bottle -- $102.35

Navigator's Wine Package: 5-Bottle -- $171.35

Admiral's Wine Package: 3-Bottle -- $135.70

Admiral's Wine Package: 5-Bottle -- $228.85

Cellar Master Package, Single, 11+ Days -- $259.00

Cellar Master Package, Double, 11+ Days -- $323.00

WINE AND CHAMPAGNES

Mumm, Cordon Rouge, Brut, France -- $74.64

Cuvee Dom Perignon, Brut, France -- $251.74

White Zinfandel, Beringer, CA -- $36.69

Zonin Moscato -- $36.25

Grant Burge Benchmark Shiraz -- $36.25

Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec -- $36.25

Merlot, Northstar, Walla Walla, WA -- $112.59

Bon Voyage Red Wine -- $24.04

Bon Voyage White Wine -- $24.04

Rudi Sodamin Chef's Selection Chardonnay -- $36.69

Rudi Sodamin Chef's Selection Cabernet Sauvignon --$36.69

Rosemount Estate Shiraz -- $49.34

Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon -- $99.94

Cline Cellars Zinfandel -- $44.28

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough -- $56.93

Ruffino Pinot Grigio -- $49.34

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot -- $46.81

Beringer Founder's Estate Cabernet -- $49.34

Veuve Cliquot, Yellow Label -- $112.59

Ferrari-Carano Alexander Valley Chardonnay -- $87.29

So if I understand properly I can order a bottle of spirits (at a very good price compared to what we pay in Australia!) from room service so that we can have a warming scotch on our verandah! Sounds fantastic! Can't wait for the cruise! Thanks for your help. I love these boards for all the information and assistance us newbies can get!

You can order a bottle of what you want from room service or buy a bottle at one of the bars. As far as I know, the price is the same as if you pre-order it. If you can do it, its always best to pre-order and have it there in your cabin when you board.

Any alcohol that you buy in the shops on the ship or in the ports (wine is excluded) will be held until the end of the cruise.

But you can pre-purchase alcohol through HAL's site, or through Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) or through room service on the ship. That alcohol is delivered to your cabin for in-cabin consumption.

You can bring as much wine, champagne, bottled water, sodas and mixers ob board as you want -- no limit. And you can buy wine in all ports and bring that onto the ship. If you rake a bottle of wine to the dining room or a bar/lounge, you will be charged $18 per bottle corkage fee.

So I'm trying to understand - if I purchase a bottle of wine, or beer in a port I can take it to my cabin and consume it but if I buy a bottle of vodka in the port the ship will take it and hold it for me until we disembark at the end?

So I'm trying to understand - if I purchase a bottle of wine, or beer in a port I can take it to my cabin and consume it but if I buy a bottle of vodka in the port the ship will take it and hold it for me until we disembark at the end?

Almost, but not quite.

You may purchase wine, champagne, sparkling wine, ashore and bring it to your cabin.

Other forms of alcohol purchased ashore, such as beer and hard liquor, may be taken and held for the remainer of the cruise. It is possible your purchases may not be taken, but they are subject to it.

Just to muddy the waters :)......

On both of my Alaska cruises, I bought a six pack of beer at the first port stop and made an effort to NOT hide it when boarding the ship.

Both times, not a thing was said or done. Maybe the grain Gods were with me?

On all the cruises we have been on - wine you could take back to your cabin -- as well as champagne, bottled water, soda and mixers -- from all the various ports that you visit.

But alcohol and beer were taken and held to the end of the cruise. There has always been a table set up just past the xray machine where they collect the alcohol and beer and tag it with your name and cabin number.

The only port where there isn't a table is at HMC as there isn't any store to buy bottles of alcohol or beer.

So if I understand properly I can order a bottle of spirits (at a very good price compared to what we pay in Australia!) from room service so that we can have a warming scotch on our verandah! Sounds fantastic! Can't wait for the cruise! Thanks for your help. I love these boards for all the information and assistance us newbies can get!

As you can see from KK's list the HAL prices are very competitive. There's no need to smuggle alcohol onto the ship.

Just pick up the phone and it will be delivered to your cabin. Very convenient.

As you can see from KK's list the HAL prices are very competitive. There's no need to smuggle alcohol onto the ship.

Just pick up the phone and it will be delivered to your cabin. Very convenient.

96 dollars for a bottle of Hennesey is not competive, some of the other prices are, I just packed my Hennessy in my checked luggage and had no problem

Archived