Zydecocruiser's Carnival Conquest April 21-28th, 2013 Picture Review

This captain is different than the one we met on the Behind the Fun tour in late August last year. I don't remember his name, but he had dark hair.

Grecian Formula?

Don't know who that might be. This Captain does get more time off than some, it seems.

Other than periodic vacations, he has been Captain for years going back to when Conquest was in Galveston (those poachers :p). I think he may work about 7 months a year now. Like so many, he has a family that is growing up without him much of the year.
Capt. Quierolo was skipper when we sailed on Conquest in 2005, trying to play "keep away" with Hurricane Dennis. He did a great job keeping us informed about what was happening. Life at sea isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination; our oldest son is about to take an officer's commission in the Navy and relocate to Japan. Probably a 2-year commitment. Maybe we'll get a vacation in Japan soon.:)

When I woke up the next morning I checked the port webcam and Yes!, our ship had come it..

fullsize.jpg

We always just park at the port, on op of the cruise terminal. It costs a little more than other locations but is too convenient for us. I did notice this sign for the first time

DSC_5723_Zyde.jpg

hmmm. but we've never had a problem there. It should be patrolled by the regular port security, but no place is absolutely secure.

is the name of the parking lot "Central Parking"? Is it easy to find? sounds very convenient.

is the name of the parking lot "Central Parking"? Is it easy to find? sounds very convenient.

Very easy and very convenient. It's on top of the cruise terminal. Porters inside the garage take your checked luggage from your car and then you park. Instead of taking a shuttle bus to check in you take an elevator.

IMG_8735.JPG

It could happen. Make some friends. Each Diamond is allowed to bring a guest.

That's good to know that I can bring a guest. Does the invitation make that clear? I will be Diamond on our next cruise on the Magic in October, but my sister won't be until the cruise after that and I really wouldn't want to attend any events by myself.

I'm not sure I even feel comfortable with such an event if we were the only Diamonds on the ship.

Grecian Formula?

Don't know who that might be. This Captain does get more time off than some, it seems.

Captain Francesco La Fauci was on the Conquest early April. And Captain Massimo Moreno was there for quite awhile when the ship was in Galveston.

That's good to know that I can bring a guest. Does the invitation make that clear? I will be Diamond on our next cruise on the Magic in October, but my sister won't be until the cruise after that and I really wouldn't want to attend any events by myself.

I'm not sure I even feel comfortable with such an event if we were the only Diamonds on the ship.

Captain Francesco La Fauci was on the Conquest early April. And Captain Massimo Moreno was there for quite awhile when the ship was in Galveston.

The invitation does not state it and if everyone did brings guests it might force a change of venues. There are no guarantees that there will be an event, it is up to the Captain and his schedule, but...

"“A Special Invitation from the Captain.” Benefit limited to Diamond Member and one guest once per Cruise, subject to Captain’s availability and discretion. No substitution if Benefit is unavailable."

http://www.carnival.com/loyalty/faqs.aspx

Yes, Captain Moreno is one of the others that I recall.

Yes, Captain Moreno is one of the others that I recall.

That's the guy. He was really nice, and when we went to the bridge during the Behind the Fun tour, he was waiting and opened the door as we came up the hallway and greeted us. It was really neat.

He pretty much said "look around, if you have any questions, ask anyone and they will tell you what the different things do"

Today is Roatan. I only found out yesterday that my planned snorkel excursion had been canceled due to lack of participants. Oh well, Guess I'll just snorkel for free at Mahogany Beach. Just as well, too, because there was a tragedy.

There's the Captain

DSC_6328_Zyde.jpg

Thrusters were going.

DSC_6330_Zyde.jpg

I couldn't believe it - we BACKED in.

DSC_6331_Zyde.jpg

Sun was barely up

DSC_6332_Zyde.jpg

DSC_6334_Zyde.jpg