Inside Edition - Woman Falls Off a Carnival Cruise ship

Oh thank God! Now we have all the facts. No need for any more speculation.

It's the plaintiffs statement. I realize it may not be gospel truth. The link was provided re: how long it takes the ship to turn around.

Why get your panties in a bunch? You'd think someone were insulting your mother.

It's a cruise line and a business, I like carnival too but there's a limit to my cheerleading.

It takes a long time to slow and turn a ship going at cruising speed. There is a guy on here who worked in the cruise ship industry who explained it on previous thread on subject.

Well what would've been the difference if the ship did not turn around to pick up said passenger? Carnival still would've been sued. My issue with this whole situation is that the corporation gets punished regardless.

If it does go to trial it seems to me Carnival would need only to have exhibit A: an exact replica of the balcony and railing and an air matress on the side where the water would be.

Ask the plantiff (or a woman of same height and weight if the plantiff doesn't want to) to re-enact exactly what she did when she fell over board. I am sure when she is unable to fall over the railing just by leaning back against it and looking up, the case will be all but settled.

It's the plaintiffs statement. I realize it may not be gospel truth. The link was provided re: how long it takes the ship to turn around.

Why get your panties in a bunch? You'd think someone were insulting your mother.

It's a cruise line and a business, I like carnival too but there's a limit to my cheerleading.

Considering that was supposed tobe from the Plaintiff and in the Inside Edition story it says her friend was in the bathroom and did not witness her actually falling over. So, which is the real truth? Story changes! Also, as stated by the Plaintif, it was 1 1/2 hour before the ship turned around and came back, but it only seemed to take 30 minutes to get back to her when they had sailed 1 and a half hour away. How is that possible??

You really think this is cheerleader here ? If you do then you must think this is Carnivals fault somehow. Can you explain how you came to that conclusion ? To me it's ridiculous that some idiot can fall off their ship because they were drunk, and then sue them because they didn't rescue them fast enough.

If it does go to trial it seems to me Carnival would need only to have exhibit A: an exact replica of the balcony and railing and an air matress on the side where the water would be.

Ask the plantiff (or a woman of same height and weight if the plantiff doesn't want to) to re-enact exactly what she did when she fell over board. I am sure when she is unable to fall over the railing just by leaning back against it and looking up, the case will be all but settled.

Not true. As others have said, that only addresses one small part of the lawsuit. All of the stuff that came after it what is interesting.

And if carnival did do something wrong or something that will look bad, they will want to settle so it doesn't get to discovery and allow all of us to see what really happened.

I will guarantee you that if they do, her lawyer will have an expert witness with a demonstration prepared showing exactly how you CAN fall off the ship.

And besides, that's only the first part of the problem. How do you address the rest of her contentions? Even if she jumped, Carnival has a legal duty to rescue her and to provide her with appropriate medical treatment. the case is certainly not over even if they prove she jumped off the ship.

Not true. As others have said, that only addresses one small part of the lawsuit. All of the stuff that came after it what is interesting.

And if carnival did do something wrong or something that will look bad, they will want to settle so it doesn't get to discovery and allow all of us to see what really happened.

Exactly.

Whether she jumped or fell off the balcony is actually irrelevant. Of course she will try to show that she waas over-served alcohol, that Carnival's bartenders are responsbile, etc. But that's only a small piece of the puzzle.

As I said earlier, the real questions here:

1. What are Carnival's standards in ascertaining that a passenger has gone overboard and effectuating rescue of that passenger?

2. What is the industry standard, and is Carnival's protocol in line with the industry standard?

3. Were Carnival's protocols and procedures followed in effectuating the rescue of this passenger?

Then you start asking similar questions about medical care -- what is Carnival's medical capability, was this patient given adequate and appropriate medical care, was the decision not to airlift her to a land hospital reasonable under the circumstances.

Cheerleading? Me?? Obviously you have not read many of my posts.

Panties in a bunch? Apparently you didn't realize I was using a sarcasm font.

Well what would've been the difference if the ship did not turn around to pick up said passenger? Carnival still would've been sued. My issue with this whole situation is that the corporation gets punished regardless.

There are several ways of looking at this.

1) This is a cost of doing business.

2) No good deed goes unpunished.

3) damned1.jpg

Also, as stated by the Plaintif, it was 1 1/2 hour before the ship turned around and came back, but it only seemed to take 30 minutes to get back to her when they had sailed 1 and a half hour away. How is that possible??

The ship was sailing north, or up hill before she went over and south or downhill to get back to her.

I still can't get over it. She got drunk. She "slipped and fell" over the balcony. The ship turned around, found her, and saved her. And she's suing them? Obviously has no grip on reality.

:rolleyes:

You're not grasping what I've been saying about the law, and Carnival's obligations to their passenger.

These threads about lawsuits brought against the cruise lines are always entertaining at least. But they remind me of a bunch of students in a math class arguing over what the right answer to an equation is.

Some say it's 2

Others say 3

And back and forth they go....on and on.

The problem is the teacher has only put this on the black board.

1+

Oh well, reading these threads is better than watching Jerry Springer!

These threads about lawsuits brought against the cruise lines are always entertaining at least. But they remind me of a bunch of students in a math class arguing over what the right answer to an equation is.

Some say it's 2

Others say 3

And back and forth they go....on and on.

The problem is the teacher has only put this on the black board.

1+

Oh well, reading these threads is better than watching Jerry Springer!

At last, someone who gets it.

I'm the first one to look negatively on some of the things Carnival does but this girl baffles me. She gets loaded but its not her fault because the "bartenders encouraged her to buy more drinks". She somehow falls off her balcony which in my mind means you have to pretty much be doing something stupid. Those railings are like 5 feet high and unless she's 7 feet tall I don't see how she can lean back and fall over a railing that is probably almost up to her chin. So everything she does is her fault, yet she wants to sue. She should be grateful she's alive after acting like a moron. If it was me, I'd want the whole thing to just go away.

Then you start asking similar questions about medical care -- what is Carnival's medical capability, was this patient given adequate and appropriate medical care, was the decision not to airlift her to a land hospital reasonable under the circumstances.

So, is it Carnival's responisiblity to seek medical attention for passengers regardless of how they came to be in need of it? If I were on a cruise and had a heart attack, is it Carnival's responsibility to airlift me to the nearest hospital? If so, then why do so many people say you need travel insurance in case you need to be airlifted from the ship?

If Carnival was at fault for her going overboard (say, if her balcony railing had broken or an employee had pushed her), it seems to be reasonable to expect them to cover the cost of this. If it is not Carnival's fault (just as it would not have been Carnival's fault if I had had a heart attack), then it seems less reasonable for Carnival to be responsible for airlifing her.

What permanent physical harm has she suffered by the lack of immediate and more intense medical attention? If none, then I don't see grounds for suing for lack of medical attention.

If they had airlifted her and charge her for the service, she would probably still sue over the charge.

The ship was sailing north, or up hill before she went over and south or downhill to get back to her.

Color me stupid, but how do you get North & South? Doesn't it have more to do with the tides and the current and the winds?

I won't color you stupid, but I think they were being sarcastic :)

I hope so because I sat here and wondered if I just did not get it. LOL :o

I must be tired. I am usually not this slow.

Archived