Breaking New Ground with the Breakaway!! (Pictorial Review!)

Cubechick

How about we take a walk around the Waterfront, shall we? We enjoyed this space thoroughly on the TA...it will be even more awesome in great weather!

8724740420_6ebde8e22a_b.jpg

8724740288_2b24403c58_b.jpg

The brightest furniture on the entire ship!

8723621183_0024628dfe_b.jpg

I just imagine sitting out here with a nice glass of wine and some calamari.

8724739214_fc34d429e7_b.jpg

8723615325_e271b8d47d_b.jpg

Just a quick question about the Waterfront. I keep seeing in pictures the little dividers and I am wondering, is it possible to walk all the way around without going back inside? Previously, I assumed the dividers were there for wind protection but I'm curious if the dividers go all the way to the wall requiring you to step back inside and exit out to the waterfront at another set of doors?

Otherwise, fantastic review and wonderful photos! I will not be doing the Breakaway, but instead will be doing the maiden voyage on the Getaway so I'm soaking up what I can about the Breakaway for now until an "Everything Getaway" thread is available.

A couple of more pictures from sail away:

Eventually we needed a snack, so we found the Raw Bar that is part of Ocean Blue. After being assured that the oysters had indeed come from Rotterdam, DH ordered a half dozen...here's a pic minus a couple:

8720821504_539a36131f_b.jpg

Do you recall the price per oyster? TIA :cool:

Just a quick question about the Waterfront. I keep seeing in pictures the little dividers and I am wondering, is it possible to walk all the way around without going back inside? Previously, I assumed the dividers were there for wind protection but I'm curious if the dividers go all the way to the wall requiring you to step back inside and exit out to the waterfront at another set of doors?

Otherwise, fantastic review and wonderful photos! I will not be doing the Breakaway, but instead will be doing the maiden voyage on the Getaway so I'm soaking up what I can about the Breakaway for now until an "Everything Getaway" thread is available.

You can't walk all the way around. The Waterfront is "u" shaped so you can walk around the back to the other side. Without backtracking you would have to to inside to complete the circle.

A couple of more pictures from sail away:

Eventually we needed a snack, so we found the Raw Bar that is part of Ocean Blue. After being assured that the oysters had indeed come from Rotterdam, DH ordered a half dozen...here's a pic minus a couple:

8720821504_539a36131f_b.jpg

Do you recall the price per oyster? TIA :cool:

I don't recall the exact amount, but I think it was around $7.95 for three. That's not too far off anyway!

Now that we've walked around the Waterfront, let's see what fun we can have there! (I apologize in advance...if you've seen my blog there are a couple of duplicate pics.)

Stand on the clear panels toward the aft and watch the water race by?

8724739556_ae97971b06_b.jpg

Stop and scan for marine life?

8724740006_99f06f2443_b.jpg

Watch folks walk The Plank?

8723621651_3a884edb72_b.jpg

Maybe grab a sophisticated snack (for a fee)?

8723621447_7867ccf7db_b.jpg

Perhaps you prefer your snack to be comfort food (and free)?

8724924912_69865f2fa4_b.jpg

Dessert anyone??

8723615557_5c39d22575_b.jpg

Sorry I didn't answer you 100%. The dividers are just for wind protection and yes, you can walk around them. :)

How about a tour of the inside before we go up top? And I mean the way inside. The Behind the Scenes tour was abbreviated, I'm assuming because they're still working some things out (it was the same on the Epic's maiden crossing). But we did get to visit a galley, laundry and Cirque (my pics of the last didn't come out well).

I can't get over the size of this galley...and this is just one of many!

8723899631_1afbfe59ce_b.jpg

I wonder how many sandwiches he'll make today? Check out all of those jars of mayo in the background!

8723899757_9f5f2fb6f9_b.jpg

The laundry is the most impressive. This machine sucks in your towels and folds them:

8723911069_ff957a39b8_b.jpg

8723913655_afe1c4dd0e_b.jpg

This one does your sheets, but goes one better...it dries the sheets then folds them!

8725018238_b76ba7a0f0_b.jpg

8725019046_da09dd6af9_b.jpg

It really makes you appreciate how hard these behind the scenes people work to give you an awesome experience.

I don't recall the exact amount, but I think it was around $7.95 for three. That's not too far off anyway!

Ouch. In the DFW airport you can get a dozen for $13-14 . . . and airports aren't known for low prices. Would have hoped for better since there is a base food cost already in the cruise fare.

This is extremely surprising to here. I thought almost all building codes required doors open in- that way someone can't barricade the door from the outside and trap you. Guess that doesn't apply to ships- but I'm paranoid, it would terrify me to have an outward opening door.

Many building codes actually require outward opening doors, but I believe that is for commercial buildings. The idea is a room with a lot of people and a fire/smoke panic could crush people against the inward facing door and you never get it open. Outward facing doors will open even if people are pushing on you from behind.

I found that comforting anyway when I replaced the doors in my house. I made all the back yard doors outward opening to allow more usable space in the house. There was no code against it.

What people should worry about are inside or ocean view. Bedrooms in the US require two exits in case of a fire in the hallway - usually a door and window. This is my excuse to only book balcony or higher :-)

Many building codes actually require outward opening doors, but I believe that is for commercial buildings. The idea is a room with a lot of people and a fire/smoke panic could crush people against the inward facing door and you never get it open. Outward facing doors will open even if people are pushing on you from behind.

I was just thinking sleeping rooms (like you see doors in hotels)

I do know about requirements for exit doors and panic bars and many fires where people have been trapped for the lack of them.

I believe the table you see is the standard size on all of the balconies. Our balcony happens to be larger than normal (which is the best part about it!).

My cruise next May will be my 1st on Norwegian, so I do not know what is 'standard' on their ships. I simply like to eat on my balcony, and that would be impossible here.

So far the ship looks great. I did not expect to like every aspect.

Doug

My cruise next May will be my 1st on Norwegian, so I do not know what is 'standard' on their ships. I simply like to eat on my balcony, and that would be impossible here.

So far the ship looks great. I did not expect to like every aspect.

Doug

Gotcha! ;)

Love all the photos! You don't happen to have a raw bar menu do you?

Only a partial. This menu is from the take away window on the Waterfront:

8725174378_5da5c9b53e_b.jpg

The lobster roll you see was not on the Raw Bar menu, but the other three items were. As discussed, oysters were on the menu as was a 1/2 Maine lobster at market price.

I have a feeling this menu will change depending on what's available. I was floored to see dungeness crab in Rotterdam when I never see it on the menus on the East Coast (I've only had it on the West Coast prior to this).

. I was floored to see dungeness crab in Rotterdam when I never see it on the menus on the East Coast (I've only had it on the West Coast prior to this).

Im surprised to see that as well .That is an SF specialty:D

How was the wind on the waterfront? Did the dividers really help? Do those restaurants have inside and outside seating

The doors opened outward on Celebrity Equinox as well--kind of recessed from the hallway though so no one can walk into the door and get a booboo when it's open. Suppose it's the same on Breakaway. Actually I have to say the balcony cabin looks pretty much like the one we had on Equinox too, except there were storage cabinets on the wall at the head of the bed which came in handy for clothes, etc. I like how both of these ships feature an angled outward on the bathroom side doorway/hallway once you're in the cabin which gives it a larger feel.

Im surprised to see that as well .That is an SF specialty:D

How was the wind on the waterfront? Did the dividers really help? Do those restaurants have inside and outside seating

I do think that the wind screens helped. I didn't feel that it was particularly windy.

Oh, yes, all of the restaurants have indoor seating as well.

Cubechick, I have to thank you for this fabulous photo review! You covered absolutely everything we would want to see, and your commentary on various shots is really helpful!

I love the color schemes, and the relaxed look of the staterooms! The 2-Bedroom looks fabulous, and they've definitely made some improvements in the layout - like the make-up area in the master bedroom, and the removal of space-hogging nonsense such as the fake tree in the living room, etc. LOVE the new look! :)

Now I'm obsessively reviewing the calendar and putting some serious effort into planning our first cruise on the Breakaway. :D

Won't the door opening INTO the hall be a problem for people walking down the hall? I can see it now, people being hit by doors being opened as they're walking!

The doors in the cabins on both Oasis Of The Seas and Allure Of The Seas open outwards into the hall. It causes no problems.

Archived