Legend heading to Australia

That's good news for downunders like myself.

But for the record, there's a huge premium on Spirit sailings ever since she started here, and even a second ship isn't likely to reduce prices.

The grossly overvalued AUD is also to blame, of course.

Stupid question...but guessing they will do a trans-canal and stop in LA? And then from LA to Australia?

Last year on the Spirit, it came from Alaska, then Hawaii, then to Australia.

If it does come through the canal, I bet there would be a Hawaii sailing, and then Australia.

I boarded the Spirit in Seattle last year, and 35 days was a bit to much for me. I'm looking at just doing the Australia leg this time and spending more time in Australia.

Several people on the Spirit, said they would go again if another shipped was moved. Looking forward to the reunion.

Edited by crzndeb

Last year on the Spirit, it came from Alaska, then Hawaii, then to Australia.

If it does come through the canal, I bet there would be a Hawaii sailing, and then Australia.

I boarded the Spirit in Seattle last year, and 35 days was a bit to much for me. I'm looking at just doing the Australia leg this time and spending more time in Australia.

Several people on the Spirit, said they would go again if another shipped was moved. Looking forward to the reunion.

Did you partake in the crossing of the equator festivities?

Did you partake in the crossing of the equator festivities?

Oh yes I did...it was a silly show, put on by the cruise staff, but it was enjoyable, and we did receive a certificate.

I wish there had been audience participation.

Why stop with just 1? Why not all? Costa does have a tarnished name.

And Carnival has such a squeaky clean image these days...

Unfortunately, same place as before. 1 hr and 55 minutes away from a very strong competitor: Port Canaveral. A port that is growing, deepening the channel, and expanding its facilities to accommodate the largest ships being built today.

In the meantime, Tampa is stuck, with a cruise terminal on the other side of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, limiting it to ships not much larger than the Legend, which will eventually mean certain death unless they take some drastic measures.

With Legend's departure, Tampa is left with only one year round ship (and just doing short cruises), and 3 seasonal ships.

Actually it's going to open options for other lines to provide more 7/8 day options from Tampa if something else isn't added by CCL.

Actually it's going to open options for other lines to provide more 7/8 day options from Tampa if something else isn't added by CCL.

Look at how they all flocked to Mobile. ;)

Any cruise line is going to face the same limitation ... that damn bridge.

Unfortunately I highly doubt it. Nothing has been stopping other cruise lines from operating summer cruises from Tampa. The problem is most other cruise lines are putting their ships in more lucrative areas over the summer like Alaska and Europe. Maybe if the European market continues to decline you may see another cruise line leaving from Tampa over the summer.

Look at how they all flocked to Mobile. ;)

Any cruise line is going to face the same limitation ... that damn bridge.

And the outrageous fees the port pilots in Tampa want to charge..Dennis

Now I'm just wondering if the Legend will be in the Med next summer then go to Australia instead of across the Pacific..I was on the Spirit last year and was looking forward to going to Tahiti again...guess we'll know more tomorrow...Dennis

Now I'm just wondering if the Legend will be in the Med next summer then go to Australia instead of across the Pacific..I was on the Spirit last year and was looking forward to going to Tahiti again...guess we'll know more tomorrow...Dennis

We should know more later tonight. It is already tomorrow in Australia, so the news should be released in Australia within the next few hours.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. With all of the positive reaction from the Aussies down under to the Carnival Spirit I had a hunch that another Spirit Class ship would be headed down since its the perfect type of ship for that region.

Asia may be a good region for Carnival to expand into since that area is a ripe non saturated market.

Can't say I didn't see this coming. With all of the positive reaction from the Aussies down under to the Carnival Spirit I had a hunch that another Spirit Class ship would be headed down since its the perfect type of ship for that region.

Asia may be a good region for Carnival to expand into since that area is a ripe non saturated market.

Carnival Corporation has just opened an office in Asia, but so far that niche is being filled by Princess and Costa.

Carnival Corporation has just opened an office in Asia, but so far that niche is being filled by Princess and Costa.

Before we know it Carnival will have a ship in Asia as well. No one ever saw the Spirit going to Australia and look where it is now. Asia is more than likely just around the corner.

From the Carnival Australia facebook page.

Get excited Carnival fans! Today we're pleased to announce that Carnival Spirit will soon be joined by her sister ship, Carnival Legend!

You've told us how much you love the Carnival Spirit experience, so we wanted to bring you more. We look forward to giving Spirit's younger sister a warm Aussie welcome in September 2014.

Carnival Legend has been all over the world (here she is, just last week in Venice) and soon, she'll be calling Australia home.

I figure since it fits under the bridge the Pride will probably be going to Tampa and Baltimore will get another ship.

Baltimore has the bridge problem as well. The Pride is the largest ship that can fit in Baltimore as well.